Author Topic: Mobile Structure - A Roaming City  (Read 5778 times)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Mobile Structure - A Roaming City
« on: 09 November 2013, 15:50:52 »
So who wants to try and build it using the Mobile Structures rules?

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-awesome-roaming-city-can-work-and-it-actually-make-1457939772
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Mobile Structure - A Roaming City
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2013, 16:26:26 »

Well that is cool, but I think that a floating Mega Structure would make more economic sense in RL.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2013, 16:33:27 »
I can't believe this idea didn't occur to me. Use Mobile Structure rules to do something like Terminator from the Mars Trilogy or the cathedrals from Redemption Rift by Alastair Reynolds.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2013, 17:54:27 »
Now, how soon can we fit enourmous jaws on to it? Show the mossies who's boss.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2013, 14:02:23 »
Does it have to be a single mobile structure or perhaps could a work around be done to make it a collection of mobile structures operating in concert like a rolling version of Columbia from Bioshock Infinite?    It might be worth the effort actually then.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2013, 16:23:09 »
Technically mobile structures are a collective of stand alone machines, each has it own power system and crew.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2013, 16:54:19 »
I'de hate to replace a track on that thing...

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2013, 04:57:10 »
Can we say dry dock?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2013, 06:04:23 »
I am...unconvinced at the idea that the math supports that in the RW, at all. Look at the distance between the tread units.  Also, what do you need it for? You're spending a vast amount of energy moving around when a normal city can just have people bundle into a car.  Now, in Btech you might have a city like that, say a world that is close to the sun where the city stays in the twilight region and has to move the planets (very slow) rotational speed.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2013, 08:12:32 »
Might be interesting if you have it be a fully mobile mining/refining facility.   It is a world with a bad atmosphere (not terrible but not one you want to breath for long) but a good mineral value.   Thus, it would be easier to deploy a series of these mobile structures to become the mobile base, much like the article described.   Periodically, it would link up with supply trains to haul off the refined materials to a central point or trundle up to a supply dropship to offload and pick up parts for maintainance.   Might not be the most economical but if it was a world that open air transport isn't viable due to bad or thin air, too unstable for rail, no water for ships, but has a bonanza of jump ship core metals or important trace elements or baloneyium (that wonder material that makes all blue prints work in the engineer's head...)  someone might jump on it.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2013, 10:37:38 »
Well, if its a desolate location, i could see.  Only problem i think is environmental damage it would cause as it rolls around.  If it has pre-parpared road, it won't be so bad.  However, what would be the point. There isn't much need for roving city, its would be bad for commerce anyways if its into trading.  Mobile mining town, i could see, but then again you got the environmental problems this thing would be causing.  Sewage, water needs, food supply, you carry so much for vertical farm if your trying relieve the food constrants.

In Battletech, on a desolate world or environmentally challenging one. I could see it, though i can picture very big target for pirates or any opposing forces to shoot holes into.  Ares treaty or not, mobile town / city isn't practical.  Then again...Battletech usually ignores those things.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2013, 10:47:48 »
Huge target but at the same time massive fun for RPG your lance gets protection duty on a mining ship on some big asteroid it's a mining facility with crew quarters - not quite a city but close enough

May have to try this built a floating version before which was fun

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7819.msg178445.html#msg178445
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2013, 12:46:10 »
Well, a corporation is (again) trying to build a floating mobile city called the Freedom Ship.  Thing been on and off trying to be construction for least decade now.  The original version of it had a mini-subway, with entire top of the ship as long landing strip while the city would circle the globe forever.

Thats something i could see for adventure too.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2013, 13:58:52 »
These guys really need to start smaller.  ;D
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2013, 14:15:54 »
Well, if its a desolate location, i could see.  Only problem i think is environmental damage it would cause as it rolls around.  If it has pre-parpared road, it won't be so bad.  However, what would be the point. There isn't much need for roving city, its would be bad for commerce anyways if its into trading.  Mobile mining town, i could see, but then again you got the environmental problems this thing would be causing.  Sewage, water needs, food supply, you carry so much for vertical farm if your trying relieve the food constrants.

In Battletech, on a desolate world or environmentally challenging one. I could see it, though i can picture very big target for pirates or any opposing forces to shoot holes into.  Ares treaty or not, mobile town / city isn't practical.  Then again...Battletech usually ignores those things.  :D

Depends on where it is. Yeah, some eco-terrorists might make noise if you operated in the Amazon a la Avatar, but for the Outback?? It would work great. Consider the possibly low ground pressure once you size out the tracks as well.
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

Shenaldrac

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2013, 08:32:04 »
So... we Mortal Engines now? I can dig it!

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2013, 08:46:08 »
With roughly 1000 inhabitants (700 permanent, 1250 maximum) I would refrain from calling it a city. It's a village at best. It's a beautiful concept though - a sandcrawling mining village roaming through the desert. I'd certainly like to drive it. ;)

I started to think of depicting it in CBT, can anyone more proficient in Spanish (or with better eyes) help me out with dimensions?
« Last Edit: 13 December 2013, 10:45:15 by Kret69 »

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #17 on: 13 December 2013, 10:29:12 »
It's a beautiful concept though - a sandcrawling mining village reaming through the desert.

Ushabia namba kee koolee?
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2015, 09:02:22 »
I like it and of course the scale of it could be scaled up significantly.   Definitely something that should've showed up on some planet or planets during the Star League era.