Author Topic: Talk to me about ... DropZone Commander Ruinscape or Cityscape  (Read 5127 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Having some Christmas money left over, and considering moving onto some hexless Alpha Strike (yes, Schwer!), has anyone had experience with these?

Cardstock on a map, clean & dirty cityscape.

I'm looking at them to supplement some "major" foamcore 3D buildings I've bought & am assembling:

The idea is a ping-pong table recreation of downtown Solaris VII ... (Yes, the stadium will at best be a BA arena, but WTF ...)

So, anyone out there with experience with the DZ sets? Please share!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Talk to me about ... DropZone Commander Ruinscape or Cityscape
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2018, 04:28:22 »
Goto DROPZONE's download page, and get the buildings, and print them at 6mm scale:

https://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/downloads
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 04:58:23 »
I got a couple of 3d puzzles and Lego Sets. Some of it works pretty good and a good scale. The Stadiums are a little small but still useable.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2018, 09:16:00 »
The DZC stuff is pretty exceptional.  It is a heavy enough card that it is reasonably durable.  I've played on it, but don't own any.  Thought about buying some, though.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2018, 10:36:08 »
Well, the DZC stuff available for free from their PDF site:

https://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/downloads

Is the same buildings as their products.

Nice thing is you can resize with any sort of photo-editor and then print via STAPLES or someother print company onto Cardstock for less than the original product.

I've done it, and it scales the buildings much nicer to BT Scale.

In the attached photos is some of the DZC Buildings rescaled to 6mm (from their 10mm scale), along with a Shadow hawk for scale, and a BURNIN DESIGN 6MM Apartment building for comparison. As you can see, the scale looks equal. Both the Green Building and the BURNIN Building would be 6 stories or a Level 3 building.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2018, 13:01:44 »
I use the ruinescape print and I like it quite a bit.   My son and I play alpha strike on it a lot.  You get plenty of options for your money.  One set just about covers a pool table (our playing surface).   Have thought about getting a second box to add a few more buildings but it comes with plenty.

Pros Its cheap, easy to store, looks pretty good
Cons:  the are no "L" Turns in the road, that bugs me we laying them out.  After a while you might want some non-square/rectangle buildings.  But none of con are really that bad.

vaporlynx

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2018, 11:45:44 »
I think Cityscape looks too clean.  I don't mind the scale being off
If you pick up a set, grab another, pair off all of the duplicate prints, set them aside.  Assemble all of the unique prints as is.  I use hot glue, more control than white glue/glue stick.  Tape won't hold up long. 
Take the paired buildings and hack them together in interesting ways.
Do the same with the road tiles, straight ones, and the all cement tiles are most useful.
You can create a very good looking game board for 80 bucks.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2018, 05:17:59 »
Vaporlynx could we get a closer look at that underpass/ entrance on your map there.

The Dropzone stuff is handy when you want to throw out a city real quick. Have several sets since we do Dropzone commander as well. But have also used it for a homebrew Gundam game we play as well. 

The best element for me is that is very easy to break down the board one the game is over.
They are definitly worth an investment in a box of two.

[/img]

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2018, 05:40:32 »
Hawk Wargames was recently bought by TTCombat, and the Ruinscape and Cityscape sets are 33% off at their new webshop.  Might offset shipping if you can't find it locally.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan