Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 247936 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #570 on: 19 February 2017, 07:56:15 »
Hmmm..so the Combine have got a successor to the Yamato.  Wonder where she was built, Midway perhaps?  And if she resembles a Columbia possibly designed with the aid of spies/DEST infiltration? 
I have provided DC with the stats and some of the fluff for the Akagi (the fluff is still a work in progress), but that's based upon my Tartarus AU, so he may well change parts of it.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

cawest

• Captain
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #571 on: 19 February 2017, 11:20:07 »
Hmmm..so the Combine have got a successor to the Yamato.  Wonder where she was built, Midway perhaps?  And if she resembles a Columbia possibly designed with the aid of spies/DEST infiltration? 

The battering over Oriente is going to probably at least derail any plans the Cappies have, but they'll be back. And in greater numbers....  If they can spare them.  And with the Combine and Suns starting to get into a full blown punch up then there's little worry about attacks from the North.

This drone unit sounds impressive, I assume its the ultra-lights, the lights and the assaults we've seen in the TRO's right?

the Columbia is a few hundreds of years old, the plan could have been in a history book.  like deck plans for the HMS Victory or the Mary Rose.  where was she built is a great q. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #572 on: 19 February 2017, 11:45:24 »
Combine would replace or update it's existing design.  Thing is if you hadn't noticed (main line battletech, due to difficulties designing new ship by hand) existing designs are simply reused.  DragonCat's universe it's consistingly getting new designs or updating them.

I suspect that Yamato would be replaced by Yamato II or something named Grand Yamato  ;)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #573 on: 19 February 2017, 12:48:10 »
How about Yokozuna?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #574 on: 19 February 2017, 18:56:29 »
marauder - the Akagi is a different beast than the Yamoto.  She's got more in common with the AFFS ships she resembles.  The drones are based on the Revenant Drone used by the WoB in canon and larger versions of the same BattleMech.

JA Baker - the fluff won't be much different only the factors that my AU has over your Tartarus AU which I can't go into because it gives away what the ship is... while the stats I'm going with identical to what you already have I really like it.

Wrangler - I like Grand Yamato... not for this design but I like that

cawest - she is a classic design (for the AU anyway) although the Combine have played about with it.  The Akagi comes in between Columbia and Mercury classes in size

Next update - as I said I feel like writing.  For those who have read the Homeworlds piece I did previously you'll recognize some of this update

Society Work Base 6 Alpha
Babylon City, Babylon
Pentagon Worlds, Deep Periphery
9th March 3108

After six months working with the Society Alex Lassenem he had learned a lot about the Society and how they ruled.  While the Society was very good at hiding things and working around rules put in place by the Clans but they were very poor at detecting those working against them from the inside.  Alex had learned that once you were into a Society group they trusted you as one of them Alex’s unit had been described as never-do-well Clan warriors who wished to be on top of the new order.

In the six months they had done well with the Society with only two minor incidents the first had been the most dangerous when MechWarrior Flynn, one of the Septicemia pilots, had hesitated in firing her weapons to disperse a crowd of civilians who were protesting about delayed food shipments to Babylon.  When the scientist had ordered the firing for a second time Flynn had fired their OmniMech’s pulse weapons roughly a metre over the crowd quickly dispersing the civilians.  Their scientist commander had wanted the weapons into the crowd but had accepted the results.  The second had been closer to exposing what his unit were doing on Babylon when MechWarrior Sylvester, the Cephalus pilot, had been pulled up by the scientists over his constant trips down the same route.  Sylvester had explained he was visiting a local brothel, following the course of human nature, the scientists had investigated Sylvester’s claim and found he was telling the truth he had been visiting the brothel and exchanging credits for their services.  Soon after the scientists had announced that all warriors who wished to visit the brothels were welcome to as long as they did so in their own time giving Alex’s team an excuse to drop data along that route when they wanted to.

During the time on Babylon Alex and his team had learned much about the Society and its workings the Scientists controlled everything but the warriors were given a lot of leeway in what they did.  The MechWarriors while given little authority over what they did on the field were allowed to do whatever they wanted in their personal time, much like in regular Clan society, they were given the best of food and kept in the best physical shape.  Alex suspected that this was due to the fact that there were only twenty-two MechWarriors on the planet outside his own unit of six.  While aerospace fighter pilots were as important as the MechWarriors the majority of them remained in space or on their bases and Alex had not encountered them much.  The ProtoMech Warriors were the strangest of the lot while numerous they were also the most detached Alex had yet to hold a single conversation outside of training or combat.  When off duty if they were not eating they remained inside their ProtoMechs constantly as one with the machine.  The Armour crews were the most numerous of all of the Society warriors with the numbers of armoured vehicles he had seen enough to give the most loyal Hell’s Horses warrior a wet dream.  The crews were treated well but because of their number they were seen as less prestigious as the MechWarriors.  And the last group of their warriors were the Infantry.  While unarmoured infantry guarded most bases and were numerous the Battle Armoured Elementals were far rarer and were only seen at the most important encounters. 

One thing that may explain the lack of Elementals and their Power Armour was something Alex had overheard when assisting in moving equipment in the command bunker was that the Society had lost its source of HarJel when renegade Goliath Scorpion Warriors and Sea Fox traders had brought eight nuclear weapons to Hoard one of the primary sources of HarJel in the Cluster.  The nuclear fire had reacted badly to the atmosphere and Hoard’s surface had burned if the Society reports were to be believed it was now a dead world.  Without HarJel to repair the battle damage to Elemental Power Armour it would make the Society’s Elementals far more susceptible to losses in the field.  The information had already been sent off Babylon to be analysed by the Clan’s experts unfortunately that was all that seemed to be happening.  Whatever reason Alex was here so far the Clan had not reacted to the intelligence gathered instead all he and his team could do is continue to gather data.

Lying on his bed he heard the handle on the door of his room creek as someone turned it quickly he grabbed one of the Society’s “Warrior books” and pretended to read it just as Scientist Leader Sophie O’Brien stepped in.  She was young perhaps twenty-five years old and she was their primary handler and interface with the leadership of the Society on Babylon.  While Alex found her attractive she had an annoying ability to be able to read people.  “Group Commander Alex I hope I am not interrupting you?”  She asked standing in the door way looking at the book.

“No just catching up on my reading” Alex said lifting the book.

“What is your favourite part?”  She asked Alex knew she was trying to trip him up so decided to show her up.”

“If Nicholas Kerensky, the Great Founder of us all, had been more of a Scientist than a Warrior REVIVAL would have been far more successful.”  He began seeing she was impressed “as soon as the warrior caste successfully secured the planets we should have begun the systematic round up and execution of all planetary politicians, the sick, deformed, old and infirm.  This action would have broken these planets’ resistance and pacified the populations allowing us to move forward quickly from system to system.”  He said reciting the words from the book.

“The late Etienne Balzac” she said recognizing the words stepping into the room “you are an impressive man Alex” she said looking at him with a smile “I am not the only one who has noticed.”  She said continuing to give him a disarming smile “which is why I have come here to warn you Scientist General Michael Gibson will be coming here.”  She announced Alex’s attempt to cover his surprise failed as he immediately thought of looking across the street on Fasa at the Scientist General.  “Yes, I was as surprised but with your team things should run very smoothly” she said “and with that both your team and mine would be well rewarded.”  She suggested Alex nodded while Sophie continued to smile withdrawing backwards out of his room pulling the door slowly closed.  Alex continued to read the scientist dribble for several moments before reaching for his micro-transmitter into the small machine he typed a small message.

“AFTER MUSTER ;)” before sending the message.

At 1830 the six MechWarriors, three times as many ProtoMech pilots and many more armoured warriors appeared in front of the Scientist leadership including Sophie O’Brien.  After they were shown to be attending Alex marched straight over towards MechWarrior Laurel grabbing her around the waste drawing her into an embrace intentionally kissing her in front of the scientists.  They knew that the warriors needed personal contact and with Alex kissing Laurel it would hopefully give Sophie O’Brien the message he wanted to send.  Since the two were off duty they headed directly towards Alex’s quarters where the two of them spent the next several hours despite the intentional public show of affection being aimed at driving off Sophie O’Brien Alex had to admit he also enjoyed it.

“So he is coming here?  That must be our target” Laurel said as they lay in bed.  “But we have sent the data dump for this week.”

“Aff” Alex said he was lying behind her on the bed “we need an excuse to send a second data dump.”  He said “tomorrow when we go out on patrol we will go up Atacon Pass” he said “we will pass over the loose rocks we saw the other week I will intentionally lose control over the Mech and fall down the slope.  Before you guys can return with the lifting gear I will slip away to the relay point and send the message.”  He said

“The damage to your Mech could cause you your position.”  She said “I have a superior plan.  I will use my OmniMech’s jump jets to slow my fall.”  She said leaning into him “I will not be able to jump back up from there and will have to go the long way that should being me close enough to the transmitter to send a data dump.”

“It is risky” he said kissing her bare shoulder “you think you can control the fall?”

“Better than you could in that monster” she pointed out “I can do it but first we make the most of tonight” she said turning around towards him under the covers.

Patrol Route
Atacon Pass, Babylon
10th March 3108

The next day things were going exactly as the two of them had predicted as they moved through the pass Alex had ordered Laurel not to tell the others their part in the plan.  When they passed over the rocks Sylvester called out the loose rocks the same as he always did and everyone acknowledged them.  Unable to use the jump jets in the tight confines the pass Laurel manoeuvred her Septicemia through the pass intentionally standing on the unstable rocks suddenly they gave way and the fifty-five ton OmniMech slipped “OH HELL!”  She shouted out as her Mech fell onto its chest smashing armour plates before the legs went over the edge the other Septicemia pilot moved to assist but Laurel screamed at Flynn to stay back “NO WE’LL BOTH GO OVER” she warned “I’ve got this” she said as the Mech went over she expertly turned her Mech so its back armour was scrapping against the loose rocks while cutting in the OmniMech’s jump jets slowing the fall until she reached the ground below.

“Are you alright?”  Alex asked his OmniMech had been anchoring the column at the back and he’d seen it all.

“Aff, stavag I mean yes” she said correcting herself the Scientists did not like the Clan’s Aff, Neg and their interrogatives Quiaff and Quineg.  “Light armour damage and a smashed hand actuator.”  She reported “unfortunately I will not get back up from here.”  She said sounding so disappointed.

“Circle back through the forest” Alex ordered “return to base yourself we will return after the patrol.”  Mentioning the forest should tip off the other MechWarriors that she was heading towards the relay station while the rest of them completing their patrol would cover for her absence.

Several hours later Alex and Laurel stood with Scientist Leader Sophie O’Brien watching the gun camera footage of Laurel’s Septicemia as she smashed through the trees of Babylon a silver communications dish on a tower stood out.  The Septicemia’s torso twisted to the left and then to the right covering the full rotation before locking on the tower firing its main weapons destroying the tower O’Brien froze the image.  “Please explain your actions, MechWarrior.”  She said looking at Laurel

“I believed it was a Clan intelligence gathering tower” the MechWarrior explained “I scanned the area for Clan contacts then eliminated the target.”

“You could have secured it for future study by our people.”  O’Brien pressed the point for a moment.

“Ne… No I could not” Laurel said quickly catching herself “I moved through the forests from an unplanned point and had no guarantee I could lead a team back through that area.”  She said looking at Alex who nodded “eliminating the target reduced the rebels’ ability to communicate giving us a better chance at eliminating them.”

“I see” O’Brien said “Group Commander she is your responsibility” she said delegating disciplinary action to Alex.

“Yes, I believe she was correct” he said knowing that O’Brien would know they had been involved physically and that he would protect her.  “The more we can cut off the clan rebels from each other the easier they will be to destroy.”

“Fine dismissed” she said allowing them both to leave as they returned to their quarters Alex leaned towards Laurel.

“I assume you transmitted the data before you fired?”

“Aff, I knew she would check my gun footage” Laurel replied “I had no option but to destroy the tower.”  She said as they continued entering Alex’s quarters.

“Aff, you did well.”  He agreed as they both slipped down onto the bed “now let us hope things go the way we want.”  With them together again so soon after the incident it should be the perfect cover for Laurel’s actions and Alex’s decision to protect her.  Now they had to wait and see if Scientist General Gibson was the Clan’s target.

Clan Watch Operations
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
16th March 3108

As Clan Coyote continue their operations against Society Cells within their Occupation Zone Clan Jade Falcon do the same in their own territory eliminating several stars worth of warriors and nearly a dozen scientists in a series of raids.  Unlike the Coyotes who have been taking great pains to avoid collateral damage the fighting between the Falcons and the members of the Society cause more than five hundred civilian casualties as the fighting gets out of hand on several worlds.

Command Headquarters
Addicks, Addicks PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
21st March 3108

Duke Mordecia Sandoval marched proudly into the command room of the Addicks PDZ.  His forces had been directed by the AFFS High Command and by New Avalon itself to support the defence of Addicks from intrusion by the Draconis Combine.  His cousin Joseph had signed an order supporting his reassignment.  Moving through the Headquarters stepping up to the main map table “what is the status of our defences here?”  He asked loudly expecting an immediate answer; he was after all a member of the March’s ruling family.

“With your forces added to my own Fourth, the Fifth Crucis Lancers RCT and the Federated Suns Lancers RCT we effectively have four RCTs to turn back any intrusion onto this planet.  The Naval forces in the system can counter anything the Combine can throw at us.”  Field Marshal Rebecca Gothram, the commander of the Fourth Davion Guards RCT.

“Very good, I will need information on the deployments across the system so I can formulate a strategy.”  He said attempting to put across a sense of confidence and control to the seasoned Davion Guard commander.  When she didn’t immediately move he looked at her quizzically “is there a problem Field Marshal?”

“There is” she said handing him a folder which he opened and glanced through “this is your forces area of operations.  You will coordinate with the First Federated Suns Lancers RCT to repel any invasion to this area.”

“This is an unimportant area of operations!”  He snapped looking at the pages of information “as commander I should be at a central point of defence.”

“Your units do not warrant a prestigious place of defence” Gothram said coldly “your units are small and mobile.  I need the Davion Guards and Crucis Lancers where they are.”

“I am a member of the Sandoval ruling family I will decide where I need my units.  My name grants me that right I can have your commission!”  He said becoming increasingly more angry

“No” Gothram corrected handing him a second piece of paper this one addressed to the Field Marshal with the crest of the First Prince on it.  “I am commander of the Fourth Davion Guards RCT, a unit of the Royal Brigade of Guards” she said putting him in his place stepping around the table.  “My command here is guaranteed by the First Prince and is absolute.  Your forces are here to support my operations.  Your name gives you the respect of the ranks your actions have cost you my respect and those of the First Prince.”

“This is preposterous!”  Sandoval snapped deciding not to leave the matter.

“As was your attack on Royal which started this mess” Gothram said deciding to explain a fact of life to the Duke.  “Instead of having your people eliminated the First Prince has chosen to use your people and allow them to fight for the Draconis March.  You will try to win some honour Duke Sandoval and perhaps redeem your unit’s reputation.”  She said putting the stunned Duke in his place “now you are dismissed.”

Alex Lassenem’s quarters
Society Work Base 6 Alpha, Babylon
24th March 3108

While it had begun as a cover story Alex and Laurel had continued coupling for the duration of their time on Babylon it was a comfort for both of them to be together on a planet controlled by the enemy.  Laying behind Laurel the two spoke in hushed voices unsure if they were being recorded or not “it has been two weeks” she said not moving “and still nothing.  He arrives in four days what the hell are we supposed to do?”

“Suicide mission” he whispered back “we were sent here to be eyes, ears and executioner.”  He said “they never expected us to survive.  They did not expect us to need back up or complete the mission.”  He explained still she didn’t move.

“You only send Solahmas on suicide missions.”  She said angrily not wanting to be classed alongside the aged worthless warriors.

“Once upon a time it was that way.  Perhaps with our Clan it was that way” he said Laurel was another former Hell’s Horse warrior like Alex.  “But maybe the old Khan is not playing by the old rules” he suggested “we were sent undercover that is not Clan.  We are using Society Mechs not the Clan way.”

“A Mech is a Mech it is a tool it doesn’t matter who built it.  We could use an Inner Sphere BattleMech but we would still be Clan warriors.”  She snapped her anger boiling over.

“Calm yourself” Alex whispered rubbing her bare shoulders “I have a plan” he said “we are going to do it ourselves and we are getting out alive.”  He said kissing her shoulders “they are never going to see this coming.”  He promised her as their bodies moved together if anyone was listening in they may as well give them something to enjoy and any good warrior knew relieving tension was the most important thing.

- - -

The next day Alex checked out his OmniMech for a routine patrol with MechWarrior Flynn and they headed into the Babylon Wastelands an area created during the Clans battles with the Society.  Liberal use of nuclear and biological weapons had turned the region into a dead zone because of this Clan rebels used the area as a place to hide and Society patrols were a regular occurrence meaning Alex’s visit wouldn’t arouse too much suspicion.  Passing through the area Alex piloted his Osteon through the wastelands following the standard Society patrol routes but he had his OmniMech’s sensor system scanning in a very particular way.  In return the Osteon was being hit by a specific way of scanning.  Unsurprisingly neither Alex nor Flynn spotted any rebel forces but both of their Mechs had collected the data that they needed.

That night the six warriors of Alex’s unit stood at the foot of his Osteon in the base’s Mechbay discussing what they knew and what they were going to do.  “This is how they will approach it is the same each time.  Flynn you here” he said placing down a marker for the Septicemia “you will open the door and welcome them in. Sly you will have Helo and be on Echo duty.”  He said speaking to the Cephalus pilot who nodded.  “Grant, Claire you are with me at point Alpha we have the main guard positions anything coming from the front and we take them down.  Laurel you have point Zulu if they have fast units you cover our backs.” he said placing down the final marker for their second Septicemia which would cover the three Osteon’s backs.  “Whatever happens we ensure that Scientist General Gibson is covered from all angles and nothing happens to him without our say so.”  He commanded the other nodded unsure exactly why he had taken a formal tone then they noticed as Scientist Leader Sophie O’Brien approached.  As expected the Scientist immediately looked at Laurel with a disdainful look which almost brought a smile from Alex but he decided to speak up.  “Scientist Leader, how can we assist you?”

“I wanted to make you aware Scientist General Gibson has moved up his arrival schedule he will arrive on Babylon one week tomorrow.”  She announced “as is planned he will have two Septs of forces as bodyguard and the WarShip Absolute Truth.”  She said Alex knew that she was trying to see a reaction from any of his people but Alex gave her no satisfaction stepping forwards.

“Of course” he said “we have increased our patrols of the Wastelands and we are ready for his arrival here.  Nothing will get near our defence while my two Treys will hold the bases defence.”

“Your Sept Group Commander” she said correcting him “my Septicemia will be joining your formation.”

“Your Septicemia?”  Alex asked unaware that she was trained as a MechWarrior.

“Yes, from a past life.”  She said smiling “I may be a little rusty but I will try not to let this brave unit down.”

“We have every confidence in your ability” Laurel said standing beside Alex “and we welcome you among our ranks Scientist Leader” she said laying it on thick bowing her head slightly with respect.

“We will put on a glorious show together and put Babylon in the spotlight.  Each of you will be remembered among our ranks for generations to come.”  She promised each of the warriors assembled Alex smiled a false smile wondering exactly how much Sophie O’Brien expected and knew there was something off with her coming here today like this.  He would watch the Scientist Leader extra closely over the next week.

Clan Mountain Wolf Command
Wolf City, Gallery
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
27th March 3108

“This is a mistake” saKhan Toby Fetladral said angrily looking around the room and finally focusing on the young Khan in front of him.  “We cannot do this”

“It is already done” Loremaster Ann Metha stated looking back at the saKhan “you agreed to the path when it was chosen.  It was that or we lose our identity forever.”

“We will lose our identity” Fetladral said looking around the room “my Khan within a couple of years our identity will be gone swallowed by the whole.”  He said he had been a member of the Mountain Wolf Clan for more than forty years, since their original break from Clan Wolf, and couldn’t have ever foreseen what they were now planning especially not from the son of Phelan Kell.

“Those who do not wish to follow the Clan’s new path will be offered alternatives.”  Evan Kell said carefully he knew many of the older warriors would now agree with his plan.  He knew that many of the younger warriors would likely feel the same but also that many would relish the new challenge.

“I am a Wolf, I have been a Wolf since I was born and I will be a Wolf until I die” Fetladral said quietly.  “I do not agree with your path Evan Kell and I do not believe that this is our path so I must challenge you to a Trial of Grievance.  Others must see that there is an alternative to this path.”

“I do not want to kill you Toby, do not do this…”

“It is done my Khan” the old warrior said rising from his chair leaving the room.  Evan Kell looked around the room as well as the Loremaster there were five other members of the Mountain Wolves present Star Admiral Maya Ch’in, the head of the navy, Star Colonel Gilford Shaw, the commander of the training sibkos, both remaining Galaxy Commanders of the Mountain Wolves and finally to the heads of the merchants and scientist Castes.  All had been given an equal vote in this and the majority had chosen the same course of action only the saKhan seemed willing to challenge Evan on the course of action instead agreeing that this was the only way of preserving their culture.  “Star Admiral prepare your WarShips and JumpShips for the coming operation.  All of you I know this decision has been hard but I believe that this is our only course forward.  We are Clan every single one of us is capable of progressing this way we have to choose our skill and determination to make things happen how we want them to.”

An hour later on the surface of Gallery Khan Evan Kell gave saKhan Toby Fetladral the warrior’s death he desired first downing the saKhan’s Timber Wolf with the weapons from his Lycurgus then crushing the OmniMech’s cockpit when Toby Fetladral refused to surrender.  To honour the fallen warrior Evan Kell ordered the Timber Wolf chassis stripped of all technology worth salvaging and left on the wind swept surface of Gallery.  With nothing of value to the broken OmniMech Evan hoped that it would remain there in memory of its fallen pilot while several further lines of text were added to the Mountain Wolf’s Remembrance in Toby Fetladral’s name further honouring the man who had stood by his principles.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 19:14:23 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #575 on: 19 February 2017, 22:48:05 »
Whaaaaa!? I wana know whats about to happen with he mountain wolves! Will they be relavint again?

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #576 on: 19 February 2017, 23:17:18 »
Whaaaaa!? I wana know whats about to happen with he mountain wolves! Will they be relavint again?

I just hope they do not go running to the Wolf  Empire. 

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #577 on: 20 February 2017, 07:46:43 »
I just hope they do not go running to the Wolf  Empire.

I would understand if hey did. Though hey might goto a prephery power as well or even trike out on there own again.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #578 on: 20 February 2017, 10:13:40 »
Lyrans are trying absorb them, the Empire is trying to absorb them/destroy them.  Other Clans including Jade Falcon want to obliterate them.

It's fight or migrate out of the Inner Sphere.   I doublt that the Star League Protectorate would allow them to join and become component while retaining the way of the Clan. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #579 on: 21 February 2017, 00:27:18 »
April is particularly big so it's broken up a bit.  First comes the parts which I've already shared in the "For the Cause" break away story in the homeworlds now presented as part of the timeline.

Society Work Base 6 Alpha
Babylon, Pentagon Worlds
Deep Periphery
1st April 3108

A week passed as in a blink of an eye and very soon Scientist General Michael Gibson was on the planet of Babylon.  With news reports hailing his arrival as a great day for Babylon in a speech Gibson promised to clean up the Wastelands of the “Clan Menace” and the wastelands they had created.  It made Alex Lassenem sick to his stomach listening to the Scientist General speak but perhaps at the same time he was worried about what was to come very soon Gibson’s motorcade began its tour towards the Wastelands arriving at Work Base 6 Alpha.  Alex’s forces were in position “Scientist Leader O’Brien you may situate yourself wherever you wish” he said watching her Septicemia move at the rear of their formation.

“I will shadow MechWarrior Laurel” she said “you are the expert in this arena Group Commander I will follow your commands to the best of my abilities.”

“Understood” Alex said watching as the heavily armed convoy moved towards them the lead two OmniMechs were a pair of Cephalus each carrying what looked like Battle Armour troopers, next were a pair of Osteons, three heavily armoured limousine transports and a special looking Septicemia with appeared to be transporting a large communication dish.  Beyond the gates of the base Alex knew the ProtoMech and armour units of Gibson’s escort were around the base along with the other bodyguard units.  Flynn stood at the entrance to the base allowing the convoy to enter as they did ten Battle Armour trooper jumped from the backs of the Caphalus.

“Oh hell Gnomes!” Sylvester said seeing the Elementals drop to the ground.

“What was that MechWarrior Sylvester?”  Scientist General Sophie O’Brien asked cutting in she sounded confused at why Sylvester was annoyed at seeing the heavy Battle Armour suit.  Alex immediately overruled her communication system.

“This is Star Colonel Alex Lassenem, FOR THE CAUSE!”  He announced his words were a command as well as an announcement.  Instantly two things happened in every cockpit the MechWarriors switched to a planned alternate frequency and executed their fire orders.

Flynn instantly fired two particle cannon blasts into the back of the strange looking Septicemia smashing through the Mech’s back armour, structure and engine shielding instantly shutting down the OmniMech.

Sylvester’s OmniMech, which was normally unarmed, opened fire with its retrofitted heavy medium lasers targeting the Gnomes.  Unfortunately while the lasers would be enough to kill regular elementals they were not enough to destroy individual Gnomes.

Behind Alex’s position he heard Sophie O’Brien scream in anger and possibly pain but did not have time to turn around to see what happened instead he Grant and Claire all unloaded their weapons on the rear limousine each of the advanced tactical missiles were armoured with improved inferno warheads spraying the area with fire intending on destroying the vehicles instantly.

Immediately they noticed that the fire was doing little to no damage “Fire resistant armour where the hell did they get that?”  Concentrated fire, kill them with other munitions!”  Alex snapped he had no idea where the Society had developed fire resistant armour but it was a problem they didn’t need.  Suddenly Sylvester’s Cephalus charged past him the OmniMech fully on fire charged forwards straight into one of the limousines causing both to explode in a fireball Sylvester didn’t eject from the OmniMech.  Alex looked at his rear area and saw that Laurel was still standing but O’Brien’s Mech was down its back ripped open by weapons fire its cockpit face down into the ground. “Laurel take out the Gnomes keep your distance they seem to have inferno rounds!”  He warned her under the combined firepower of the three Osteon’s the second and third transport exploded into fireballs of their own but now the Society loyal Osteons were turning their weapons on Alex and the other two Osteons causing near instant heavy damage as they concentrated fire.  As weapons fire was exchanged between the assault OmniMechs suddenly the air around them turned into fire and the ground exploded around them.  “What the hell?”  Alex wondered even as he tried to counter the other Osteons he saw the entrance of the base along with MechWarrior Flynn’s Septicemia explode.

“Absolute Truth” Laurel struggled Alex looked at her OmniMech and saw it had taken a direct hit to the cockpit.  He thought about her words and realized what she had meant the WarShip Absolute Truth above them was targeting their position with its weapons array turning the entire area into a live fire zone following Scientist General Gibson’s death.

“We need to move!”  He said seeing Claire’s OmniMech fall to Society fire “Laurel, Grant, can you keep up Quiaff?”

“Aff, it looks worse than it is.”  She confirmed

“Neg, knee actuator is gone” Grant replied as more naval fire landed in the area “go I’ll keep them at bay.”  He called out continuing to fire at the Society ground forces in minutes Alex’s unit had been cut by two thirds with his own Mech and Laurel’s both damaged.  Even as the Absolute Truth continued to bombard the region the two OmniMech’s ran through the fire heading into the nearby Wastelands naval weapons fire continued to fall on the base and near their position.

“How can they be tracking us?”  Laurel wondered he could hear weakness in her voice he didn’t know how badly she was injured as they continued forwards.  If the WarShip above continued to bombard the area they would eventually be caught by a barrage and killed.  At the furthest reaches of his sensors Alex could see Society ProtoMech units loitering just outside the bombard zone.

“Incoming OmniMechs, Bravo Sierra, shut down your Nova CEWS.”  A voice suddenly said breaking into their communications using the code Alex knew.

“We are not sharing data” Alex said not understanding them they didn’t use the C3 element of the Nova CEWS but the combined ECM and improved sensors still made it a potent tool.

“Neg, the Society can track it” the voice said as more naval weapons hit the ground around them both he and Laurel shutdown their systems moving into the Wastelands.  Unfortunately even as Laurel shutdown the Nova CEWS her OmniMech staggered forward, tripped and then like someone who had consumed too much alcohol faltered and fell on its face.

I might be able to update a second time today depends if I'm able to finish it.

Clan Base
Wastelands, Babylon
2nd April 3108

MechWarrior Laurel slowly woke up on looking around the room seeing Star Colonel Alex Lassenem standing near the door the man who had led them undercover now fully cleaned up the beard hat had been growing now cut to a distinguished goatee.  “Welcome back to the land of the living” he said.

“Thank you, sir” she said “did anyone else make it out?”

“Neg” he replied not moving from the door.

“Damn” she said trying to get up from the bed but feeling weak “what have the doctors said?”  She asked

“You’ll recover” he said “they recovered your Mech as well.”

“Burn it” she said looking away from him “I don’t want to think about anything about my time with them.”  She said Alex looked unhappy by her reaction but before he could speak a lower castemen appeared at the door.

“Star Colonel, you are needed” he said Alex nodded turning back to Laurel he nodded again before leaving the room.  Alex moved through the facility to the command bunker and saw a hologram of Scientist General Michael Gibson.

“How is that son-of-a-bitch still alive?”  Alex swore as he approached the hologram.

“He is not alive” the tech who sat in front of the rebel commander said Alex didn’t look off the hologram instead he waited for the tech to speak again.  “It’s a recording form four years ago on Circe when someone took a pot shot at him and failed.  They’ve put a filter on it and given him a bit of colour but it’s the same recording from Circe I guarantee it.”  He said Alex overlooked the man’s contractions instead looking at the image.

“With them controlling the world media how are we ever going to break them” the base commander Beatrice said looking at Alex who didn’t look amused.  “Sir, they will play this message over and over again until a new Scientist General is in place and then Gibson will quietly retire never to be seen again.”

“Then we make them see the truth, there’s no way he survived our assault.”  He said as Gibson was replaced by a live feed of Scientist Leader Sophie O’Brien unlike Gibson she looked like she’d been through a battle the side of her face was badly bruised and it looked like her left arm was in a sling.  “Her too” he said angrily “we need to finish this lie” he said looking at the image not listening to the Scientist’s words instead formulating a plan.  “We take the broadcasting station and we upload my gun camera footage” he said “we show them Gibson’s death and the orbital bombardment that followed.”

“A suicide mission” Beatrice said looking at the Star Colonel she didn’t need to lose people to a fools mission.

“I will lead a small team” Alex Lassenem said

“Neg I will” Laurel announced she stood at the door Alex looked at her she could barely stand let alone fight.  “I will lead the team and get the job done Star Colonel.”

“You can barely stand MechWarrior” he said looking away from her he hated to see her in this condition as she moved into the room.

“I’ll take stimulants to make it through” she said grabbing his arm as she got close he remembered the last time they were this close when they had shared his bed at the Society Base.  “I can do this.”

“It is a suicide mission” Alex said looking at her he could feel her leaning on his body for support “to go on this mission you would have to take so many stimulants that it would kill you.”

“I’m dead already” Laurel said Alex realized that Laurel knew “I entered the Wastelands with a breached cockpit and a breached coolant suit.”  She said “I absorbed enough radiation to kill ten men.  It will come fast, it will be painful and it will not be honourable.  I want to make a difference Alex.”  She said he could see it in her eyes the pleading the desire to make a difference.

“Aff” he agreed “you will lead the assault team.  Commander she will need two squads of volunteers and a Nighthawk suit arrange it.”  He commanded Base Commander Beatrice nodded.

“We have a Turkina and a Timber Wolf for your use during the assault” she said offering him two front-line Clan OmniMechs to use against the Society.

“Neg, I will keep the Osteon.  Paint it in our colours and have the Nova CEWS removed and give it an ECM system instead.”  He commanded he didn’t exactly know why he wanted to keep the Osteon most Clan warriors would dislike his use of a Society Mech seeing it as unclanlike but it seemed to make sense he wasn’t exactly a conventional Clan Warrior any more.  “We hit them tomorrow” he said making the choice for the assault he was Bloodnamed and a Star Colonel this was now his mission.  “You get some rest” he said to Laurel leaning in and kissing her on the cheek he knew the other clansmen would look down on his attachment to her as well but he didn’t care she needed all the support she could get.  He turned back around and saw Scientist General Gibson’s image was once again displayed and took a step towards it “we’re going to shed some light on you and your friends.”

Clan assault, Broadcast Centre
Babylon City, Babylon
Pentagon Worlds, Dee Periphery
3rd April 3108

The ten Nighthawks were crammed into the cargo hold of the armour transport waiting for the command to move out the driver turned in his seat “lock your suits no need for you to get injured in this” he commanded.  Laurel didn’t need to check her suit even after taking enough stimulants to keep an Elemental standing the legs being locked were one of the few things keeping her standing.  She knew beyond the infantry transport BattleMechs from the Clan and from the Society battled to control this part of the city of Babylon out there Star Colonel Alex Lassenem was leading this assault personally giving them the gap they needed for the assault on the Broadcast centre Laurel remembered what the tech had said.

---

“The way the Society has set up communications on Babylon and beyond if we overrun their broadcast centre and get out program into their systems we will control their HPG.  Every system across the Homeworlds will hear our message” he had announced confidently.

“What if the Absolute Truth opens up on the city?  They will kill hundreds of thousands in minutes!”  Commander Beatrice had suggested

“A win either way for us then” Star Colonel Alex Lassenem had said coldly eyes from across the room had turned on him and Laurel had remembered seeing an edge to the man she had not seen before.  “If the Absolute Truth fires on the capital city and lays down a suppression bombardment we prove the Society care nothing for the people the news of Scientist General Gibson’s death will still get out but slower” he had suggested “if they fail to fire then we control their HPG even briefly and the word of Gibson’s death spreads quickly and the fires rebellion will flutter on a dozen worlds.”

“Is the price worth it” Laurel had wondered out loud.

“Victory is worth it” he had said shocking her “I do not want to witness first hand the Absolute Truth’s bombardment again but I do want to see the Society pay for all the deaths they have caused.  I want to hurt them; I want to hurt them again and again.”  She had remembered the look in his eyes, the anger, and the determination to get the job done whatever the cost she wasn’t afraid to admit it had actually scared her.

---

“We’re a go!”  The driver had shouted suddenly they felt the armoured transport shoot forward as the driver gunned the throttle and accelerated the vehicle forward.  From her position half way across the cargo bay Laurel could feel the vehicle continue to accelerate she knew the plan and wasn’t looking forwards to it.  The armoured transport continued forward its weapons blazing targeting enemy units as it charged across the battlefield passing enemy units and finally slamming through the blast resistant windows.  Deep inside the hull of the vehicles the troopers who had locked their suits remained ridged inside unfortunately one of the suits clamps failed and the trooper flew across the crago slamming into other troopers and finally into the cargo bay bulkhead his health monitor immediately showing he was dead.

“GO!  GO!  GO!”  Someone was shouting as the doors burst open the Nighthawks charged forwards out into the foyer of the broadcast centre.  The vehicle driver was dead but amazingly the gunner was still alive and the vehicles weapons continued to fire suppressing the defenders.  “We are going up first team go!”  Two Nighthawk troopers stepped out of the line and threw their explosive charges onto the roof a two second delay blew the open the roof panels.  Go!”  The troopers collectively lit their jump jets jumping up onto the next level.  “First team you hold this level next team charges point two.”  He called out as the first two troops aimed their weapons at entry points two more troopers selected another area of the roof and placed their chargers blowing more holes in the roof.  Laurel and the remaining six troopers jumped up again onto the next level.  As they jumped a series of weapon hits struck the building blowing open the side of the building.

“I hope that was accidental” Laurel said out loud hoping that it wasn’t an indication that the Society had turned their guns on the building or the Absolute Truth had begun a bombardment.

“We don’t stop Sicknote!”  The squad leader said “next team blow open the roof we’re going up!  First team if you can disengage join us up here!”  He commanded glancing behind them down the hole Laurel could see there was still heavy fighting on the level behind them as the next roof section was blown open further explosions hit the building from outside.  “Go!  Go! Go!”  The commander shouted just as a weapon’s barrage ripped through the helmet section of his suit spraying the area in blood as the man was killed instantly.  As the troopers jumped up onto the next level Laurel could sense hesitation in them as defenders on this level opened fire on them.

“You know your mission!”  She shouted at them pulling a grenade from her belt throwing it with all her remaining strength at the defenders several others did the same.  “We don’t stop!”

“FOR THE CAUSE!”  The remaining five troopers shouted in unison firing their weapons with Laurel and throwing more grenades.  Laurel leveled her Gauss SMG at the defenders and hammered a burst into the chest of one of the defenders killing him instantly.  Even as they fired another trooper blew a hole in the roof clearing the way for them to move up.

“We have this level get the job done!”  One of them said to Laurel as further explosions ripped through the broadcast centre.  Redundantly she nodded something the other trooper would never see instead of saying anything she and two others jumped up onto the next level finding that weapons fire from outside had already ripped the level open they immediately jumped up through the smashed floor onto the next level.

“Blow it” Laurel ordered the remaining two troopers set their charges as Laurel unloaded shot after shot at anyone who moved on the level an explosion ripped open the roof above them and she didn’t wait Laurel instantly jumped her suit up onto the next level.  She checked either side seeing the workers on this level running from the explosion and from the sight of her arrival.  She checked her sensors this was the level she needed to be on glancing at the Gauss SMG she saw she was down to fifteen shots moving through the level towards the broadcast room suddenly what sounded like a support machine gun ripped through the office around her destroying the furniture.  Using all her energy she dived to the side avoiding the fire rolling backwards turning towards the target she aimed her weapon and pulled the trigger a burst ripped into the room.  Twelve shots left.  She thought throwing caution to the wind she ran forwards as fast as she could charging into the room even as the defenders support machine gun spun up she could feel the bullets rip into her power armour suit pain riddling her body she tried to ignore the pain as she shot the remaining two defenders emptying her clip into them.

Laurel paused for a moment looking around the room seeing the two dead troopers she looked at the SMG and saw the indicator showed empty she threw the weapon down and staggered past the bodies and the defenders turret pushing past did as the tech had said entering the evidence card into the computer system.  As expected the system instantly accepted the card and began to read it Laurel slid down the wall beside the transmission gear barely conscious as Sophie O’Brien entered the room her left arm still in the sling they had seen on the Tri-Vid she stopped seeing the dead defenders and Laurel’s suit against the wall she stalked over towards Laurel ripping the damaged Nighthawk helmet from the suit.

“You!”  She nearly screamed seeing Laurel’s barely conscious bloodied face “do you have any idea what you have done?”  She asked continuing to shout grabbing Laurel’s hair with her good arm.  Unfortunately for her she didn’t see Laurel’s other arm raise holding a slug-thrower pistol.

“Yeah, I've screwed you life *****” Laurel said pulling the trigger immediately a burst of three shots ripped through Sophie’s chest and head killing Sophie O'Brien covering the room in yet more blood.  Laurel reached for the suit’s helmet which Sophie had dropped when the bullets had hit her body.  “Alex it’s done” she struggled out not knowing if the communication system on the suit still worked or if Alex Lassenem was still alive, it didn't matter, even if he had fallen their message was out their mission was  done and with that Laurel passed out for the last time.

Side note the contractions in this update are intentional.  The Nighthawk troopers are freeborns and Laurel didn't care any more

My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #580 on: 21 February 2017, 00:32:50 »
And the rest...

Nova Cat Command
Farstar, Nova Cat Occupation Zone
Perihery
5th April 3108

“Welcome to Farstar” saKhan Katrine Devalis said welcoming the Sea Fox saKhan Blake Hawker to the Nova Cat planet.

“Thank you saKhan” he said “it feels nice to feel real gravity under my feet.”  Normally he travelled on the Titanic, the Sea Fox ArcShip assigned to the Bloodscent Khanate, which was currently in orbit over Farstar ferrying down supplies to the Nova Cat’s ground base.

“I could make that a more permanent arrangement for you saKhan Hawker.  I am ready to exchange one star system and all the resources in that system to Clan Sea Fox.  In exchange I want…”

“Weapons” Hawker said looking at the Nova Cat saKhan “I know what you want saKhan Devalis you want to continue to hurt the Draconis Combine to fight until your candle burns out.  If I did not know you are a Nova Cat I would have sworn there was Falcon or Jaguar blood in you.”

“Are you trying to insult me Blake?”  She asked jokingly.

“Neg, just wishing to see how much it takes” he replied “the problem I foresee, Katrine, is how far you are willing to go?  Your main goal appears to be how far you can push the Combine before the Dragon bites back.”

“They have been the subject to our aggression.”  She admitted she was a Clan warrior to exercise some aggression was to be expected.

“Aff, and now you offer me a world within their grasp when I could easily withdraw into Jarnfolk space and sit comfortably.”

“Until the locals decide they’ve had enough of you.”  She said seeing his surprise “come now you cannot be surprised that we know that the Jarnfolk are getting a little annoyed at your presence there.  Something about trying to build weapons of mass destruction in their space” she said teasing the Nova Cats had heard that while the Jarnfolk were happy to help build JumpShips, DropShips, vehicles, fighters and small arms they had drawn a line at upgrading the facilities in their territory to build new WarShips which could be used against ground installations.  “You do know you could build such facilities here in the system that we are willing to pass to you.”

“So you would have access to them?”

“My people could provide you with support.  I have a yardship on its way to these systems as we speak courtesy of a successful Trial of Possession against the Bears.  It could be instrumental in helping you construct such facilities and as a result we would like access to them aff.”

“But in Jarnfolk space we already have JumpShip yards to build on.  All we have to do is control the population.”

“Which your Bloodscent does not have the firepower or the will to do” Devalis said quietly.

“Why?  Your Nova Cats have extensive facilities in their Nova Cat’s Den.  My Clan have only seen a fraction of the facilities you have why build more here?”

“My vessels in the OZ need constant maintenance after operations.”  She explained Hawker knew there was more to it but also knew that his Clan could use access to new facilities.  The Jarnfolk situation, and possibly the pacification that was required there, was one the Khan needed to authorize for now perhaps he could use the Nova Cat’s new generosity.

“I agree but there is a string attached.”

“Which is” Katrine asked dryly she was becoming tired of the Fox’s delays.

“We select the world that you trade to us, and you do not attack the Draconis Combine near that world.  We are not interested in becoming caught in the crossfire between your Clan and them.”

“Agreeable” Katrine admitted “I was considering Falakuma” she suggested handing him an information pad “it has a small population and plenty of natural resources both on the planet itself and in the asteroids in the system.”  She said as Hawker began looking over the information “it is also off my current path of aggression against the Draconis Combine.”

“I will look over this data and get back to you in six hours.”  He promised her before leaving their command room.  Within that time saKhan Hawker had replied to Katrine’s proposal and agreed for the Sea Foxes to take possession of Falakuma and provide her Nova Cats with the supplies that they needed.  saKhan Hawker did note that the Sea Foxes were not yet committed to constructing a repair yard in her occupation zone but said that he would bring it up when he spoke with the other Khanate leaders.

Hell’s Horses offensive
Cumbres, Arc Royal Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
10th April 3108

Clan Hell’s Horses continue their assaults against the Lyran Commonwealth entering both the Cumbres and Dukambie, two systems lacking Lyran naval forces.  In the Cumbres system the Fifth Donegal Guards RCT face off against three Elite clusters of Clan Hell’s Horses Stampede of Steel Galaxy.  The regular rated RCT has little chance against the Hell’s Horses as they overwhelm and the Donegal Guards crushing the unit over the course of two weeks.  Lyran attempts to resupply their ground forces are frustrated by the Tracy, an Essex-class Destroyer, and the Predator, a Lola III-class Destroyer.  In the Dukambie system the Hell’s Horses the Formidable, an Arbitration-class Battleship, recently gained in a Trial of Possession in the Tukayyid system.  To ensure that the Lyrans do not attempt to assault the ship with their Indefatigable-class Battleships the Hell’s Horses escort the Formidable with both of their Marathon-class Battle-cruisers.  With such firepower present the system quickly falls to the Hell’s Horses as the Clan shows it has the firepower to oppose the Lyrans.

Pirate Point, Clarkston (Bug Eye-class Surveillance Craft)
Helen, Alya Prefecture
Dieron Prefecture, Draconis Combine
16th April 3108

There were two flashes of light as the Invader-class JumpShip and the Bug Eye-class Clarkston entered the Helen system at a rarely used pirate point.  The massive Draconis Combine WarShip in the system would have detected their arrival but was far out of range and unable to cause them trouble for now.  Hopefully at the range they were currently at the enemy WarShip’s sensors would detect only the Invaders and the DropShips it was now detaching.  “Could we have been closer?”  Captain Olivier Martinez wondered looking at his screens in the compact bridge section.  The Bug Eye was smaller than most DropShips meaning everything was different on the ship which included the bridge.  Unlike most interstellar craft the Bug Eye’s command section was in the front of the ship instead of buried under several decks and heavy armour and instead of having dozens of consoles the Bug Eye bridge had four command, helm/navigation, sensors/communication and weapons.  “Mirror the DropShips path, as far as the Dracs are concerned we are one of those ships just slipping into the traffic of the belt.”  He said the Bug Eye accelerated alongside the three DropShips heading into the asteroids.

“They are going to come looking for us” his executive officer Ben Sawyer said

“Which is why all three of the DropShips are civilian ships if the Combine comes looking all they will find is four new DropShips.  While our sensors will eat up all the data they can on them.”

“And then the Combine will rumble us and we’ll be in lots of trouble” Sawyer said looking over towards his CO “this is a crazy plan, sir.”

“That’s why we get paid the big bucks” Martinez replied “now put us on course for the asteroids nothing crazy just enough to get us there today we’re slow boating it until we need to show our hand.”  He commanded as the small six thousand ton WarShip moved towards the system’s belt.

---

A week later the Clarkston was nearing the edge of the asteroid belt they had taken the longest possible route through the belt following known civilian shipping lanes and they had run continuous scans of the system and the Akagi as expected the WarShip had detected their powerful sensor array and come to investigate what was going on giving them an even better view.  The ship was huge coming in at more than one and a half million tons on vessel it’s huge dominating ‘alligator’ head forward section marking its similarities to the Columbia and Mercury classes in operation by the Federated Suns.  Along each of the ships flanks were massive fighter bays while the rear was dominated by four gigantic engine pods each capable of propelling the vessel at mindboggling speeds.  The Clarkston had not witnessed the ship accelerate heavily, or use any weapons so all of their data was based off of the long range scans they had made of the ship as it approached the asteroid belt.  “Turn us around take us back into the belt we don’t need to be caught in open space.”

“You think they suspect something?”  Sawyer asked from the helm console in front of Martinez.

“I wouldn’t put it past them to stop every DropShip coming out of the belt and to land troops on the inhabited asteroids.” Martinez muttered as aerospace fighters deployed from under the nose of the massive ship.  “We don’t need that attention pull us back we’ll power down in the belt if we need to just let them drift by.”  He said as the small Bug Eye turned four of the aerospace fighters approached one of the inhabited asteroids.  Before hitting the asteroid they quickly converted into BattleMechs making their landings.

“******* LAMs! She’s carrying ******* LAMs!” Emily Nelson at the sensor station exclaimed suddenly “a monster like that could carry two or three regiments of those things!  They’ve turned her into a Super Kyushu!”  She said naming the Draconis Combine frigate which most often carried the Combine’s LAM Regiments.  While it was now common for all of the Succession States to use Land Air Mechs the Draconis Combine fielded them in entire regiments basing them off their WarShips for rapid assignments.

“CALM THE HELL DOWN!"  Martinez shouted "Get your head in the game or we're dead.  Now take us deeper into the asteroids!”  Martinez ordered as the Clarkston continued to fall back “bring our guns online but keep them under wraps” he said as his sensor screen registered an explosion on the asteroid where the LAMs had landed while other Combine units were approaching the shipping lanes.  The Clarkston’s weapons ports were hidden under blow away panels to hide her identity to a casual observer.

“More Land Air Mechs coming towards us” Nelson reported looking at her screens.

“The game’s up weapons fire as they approach, helm get us clear of the belt as quickly as you can and bring the jump drive online we’re getting the hell out of here.”

“It took us four days to get through the belt even at speed it’s going to take time!”  Sawyer complained he didn’t mention that at the increased speed the Clarkston would be in far more danger of an accident.

“Forward guns target anything helm can’t avoid rear guns keep them off us.”  Martinez ordered but he didn’t need to already Neil Tyson and Amelie Durand at the weapons stations had began to fire the Clarkston’s array of medium lasers.  Since the vessel’s acquisition by the Federated Suns the Clarkston had been fitted with thirteen extended-range medium lasers and four anti-missile systems which replaced the vessel’s original armament.  Now the four rear medium lasers were being fired nearly constantly blasting through the forward armour of the lead Wasp LAM coring the craft forcing it to crash into an asteroid, as the LAM hit the rock it disintegrated into a thousand pieces.  Missiles from all angles approached the Clarkston but its anti-missile systems and Lamellor armour survived the hits the ship was taking.
Suddenly space around them turned to fire as the Akagi itself began to fire on the asteroid belt with an array of naval autocannons.  “Well we can add those to the list of capabilities!”  Sawyer said rolling the Clarkston under a huge asteroid which moments later was shattered by naval autocannon fire.  “Sir, we can’t survive this kind of punishment” he said as more LAMs closed in.

“We don’t need to for long” Martinez said looking at his screens at the speed they were going they would enter a large open area of space within minutes.  “Once clear of the belt I need you to stop manoeuvring and pour on the speed.”

“We’ll be sitting ducks” Sawyer stated

“Not if the other DropShips have done their jobs.”  Martinez said keying the comm. switch “Roman Candle, Roman Candle, Roman Candle!”  He repeated on an open frequency.  The three civilian DropShips were not exactly civilian craft instead each had been fitted with banks of capital missiles.  While the Clarkston had been taking its time through the asteroid belt the three DropShips had gone to ‘ground’ landing on some of the larger asteroids powering down their systems to run as cold as they could.  Now all three ships opened their launch bay doors and like a Roman Candle of ancient Terra each opened fire with their weapons filling the belt with capital missiles.  Some were targeted on the LAM craft in the belt while others were targeted on the Akagi as they approached the WarShip its anti-missile systems engaged them shooting several down.  DropShips attached to the WarShip moved to intercept further missiles one or more of them was loaded with a special surprise and the Clarkston’s crew was rewarded by witnessing a thermo nuclear explosion from a Santa Ana-class nuclear warhead.  “Eat that you big bastard!”  Martinez cursed as the Clarkston cleared the asteroid belt another LAM exploded behind them struck by a capital missile fired from one of the DropShips “blow up come on blow up!” Martinez cursed looking at the sensor screen unfortunately the big WarShip rolled through the nuclear fire its armour ablaze for a moment in the vacuum of space and then darkened again as the flames were snuffed out.  The DropShips had done their job intercepting the missiles before they could get near the WarShip saving the Akagi from the worse of the damage.  “Cut engines, begin jump prep” Martinez commanded breaking away from the sensor screen “weapons keep an eye out for any remaining LAMs” he said but suddenly no-one was interested in them now the attention of the LAM units and of the Akagi’s gunners was on the three DropShips, the crews had no chance of escape their JumpShip had left the system days before and Clarkston couldn’t carry them.  Naval autocannon, missile and gauss rifle poured through the asteroids smashing the DropShips one by one.  Their crews continued to fire their capital missiles up until the last DropShip was eliminated by a group of Land Air Mechs that had converted to BattleMech mode and walked up to the DropShip kicking in its cargo bay doors so the Mech’s could fire inside the craft eliminating the crew and the DropShip’s weapons.

“Let us take a moment to remember our fallen comrades and give thanks for their sacrifice” Amelie Durand said glancing down for a moment none of the crew disagreed.  If the Clarkston had remained undetected the DropShips would not have been needed but each of their crews had known that the Bug Eye had to escape the system so when the time came they had done their duty.

“Now get us the hell out of here” Martinez said after the silence had passed he looked at his screens again looking at the sensor image of the DCS Akagi.  “I’ll see you again I promise.”  He said knowing that the Clarkston was not finished with the Draconis Combine vessel.

Oriente Counter-attack
Glasgow Commonality, Capellan Confederation
24th April 3108

While Oriente had been invaded and threatened the District continues its plans for a counter strike using the new BattleMechs, Armour and fighters gained from the Federated Suns.  With the Fourth Fusiliers of Oriente and Alpha Regiment of the Wolf’s Dragoons in support the newly risen/reinforced Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Militia Regiments of Oriente invade Old Kentucky, Wazan, Phact and Corey with the Sixth Capellan Defence Force and the Fifth Liao Lancers Regiments destroyed on Old Kentucky by the Wolf’s Dragoons with the Athena, a Dire Wolf-class Heavy Cruiser, in support providing air superiority.  With no capital assets of their own and their ground forces picked to pieces by the Dragoons the Capellans have no choice but to surrender to the Oriente and mercenary forces.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #581 on: 21 February 2017, 00:54:08 »
 O0 ;D  nice upate!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #582 on: 21 February 2017, 02:20:14 »
A Bug-eye versus the Akagi. I wonder what Martinez has planned.
Oriente revitalised, this will upset the Cappies.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #583 on: 21 February 2017, 07:32:50 »
Cappies have been very uppied.  We haven't heard much from the Confederation side of the house. 

Homeworld situation is very odd, thou we want the Clans to survive.  If they survive, we don't know what they will become.
They've have been changed since being nearly pushed to extinction and reorganizing into "Clan" non-name on FASA.

Thrilling Double Entry, DragonCat!   

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #584 on: 21 February 2017, 18:33:12 »
I see CHH is gaining more resources...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #585 on: 21 February 2017, 19:52:56 »
good to see the WD kicking someone's teeth in, again. 

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #586 on: 22 February 2017, 02:36:21 »
Damn superb updates! Very tense battle with the Akagi too!

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #587 on: 23 February 2017, 15:53:00 »
hi. i registered today. and i wanted to say thank you to dragoncat!!!!! i been reading silently on this forum for some years now. i discovered your timeline in december. And reading it brought me through two hospital stays in december. It is an awesome piece of work and i HAD to make this my very first post. I hope, you and the others can keep up the awesome work.  O0 O0 O0

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #588 on: 23 February 2017, 20:55:43 »
I'm glad you have enjoyed the timeline and I hope you continue to

The support this timeline gets really makes me proud and want to do more I'm glad my little obsession is enjoyed by others

I'd also like to thank all of those who have contributed New ideas and adding things over the years yes YEARS this has been going on it's been incredible.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #589 on: 24 February 2017, 03:08:26 »
And I'm sure now that the Nova Cat forces under the SaKhan are going to break away.  They've got a yardship, they've got a reliable source of replacement Mech's etc with the Sharkfoxes.  Not sure about the Iron wombs but the Foxes can provide those.  And there might be some warriors from within the Nova cats heading up to join, being released to choose their own path rather than risk a civil war between the new Clan and the Nova Cats.

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #590 on: 24 February 2017, 11:12:32 »
Welcome to the boards GermanSumo.

Interesting times with the Nova Cats, that's for sure.

I wonder what is happening with the Mountain Wolves. Either they're about to do something incredibly daring or or stupid. Either way, will be watching them closely.

James Tanaga

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #591 on: 26 February 2017, 05:00:57 »
James Tanaga they are going to the Rim Collection I decided that their McKenna would look good over All Dawn with their particle cannons firing... (joking)

As for the other comments I'll answer questions about things that has happened and things that are going on but future storylines I'm going to give a familiar answer... I have a plan

Please feel free to speculate though I enjoy reading some of the theories you come up with and they occasionally give me ideas

Short update mostly setting up more things to come

Combat Drop, Nova Cat Watch
Tamar, Tamar City
Clan Occupation Zones
2nd May 3108

The sky over Tamar City was full of Nova Cat DropShips and aerospace fighters as the Clan’s four Watch Clusters made combat drops in and around the city.  In every radio in the area Khan Canin Rosse's voice filled the airwaves “Citizens of Tamar City this is Khan Canin Rosse Clan Nova Cat claim possession of this city.  Continue to attend you work places and do not cause any civil disturbances and this occupation will go smoothly.  Clan Coyote forces you have one hour to vacate Tamar City otherwise your forces will be subject to Trials of Possession.  Star Colonel Adam Jericho Clan Nova Cat declares a Trial of Possessions for the entire production run at Construction Facility Seven and ProtoMech factory Alpha.  Your forces will meet mine at the plains south of Tamar City in two hours.  Khan Canin Rosse out.”  He said as the Khan’s personal Dragon Cat OmniMech landed near the administration centre for Tamar City.

As expected the Coyotes put up no resistance to the Nova Cat occupation of the city leaving it to Clan Nova Cat for them to use it as their base of operations.  Two hours after the initial Clan Nova Cat landings token Coyote forces met with the Nova Cats outside Tamar City with both forces surrendering after very short fights.  The Nova Cats took the surviving warriors as abtakha while also taking control over both factories immediately raising a new cluster from the newly taken Coyotes, bondsmen and recently graduated warriors who had travelled with the Nova Cat forces.

Firefight, Omicron Solahma Garrison
South Lapiz, Blue Hole
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
19th May 3108

With Clan Nova Cat beginning operations against the Society in the Coyote Occupation Zone Clan Jade Falcon make a move against their own cell of Society collaborators.  What starts as a surgical strike against the command of the Omicron Galaxy Solahma Cluster command quickly extends to a battle between the entire unit and the Fourth Falcon Jaegers Cluster which was also based on Blue Hole.   In a six hour battle the Solahma Cluster and its entire support structure are wiped out by the Fourth Jaegers who leave no survivors.  Across the Jade Falcon occupation zone dozens of civilians including many merchants and scientists are eliminated by Jade Falcon military units.  Other Clan and Inner Sphere Intelligence Agencies note that several of those killed by the Jade Falcons are known for their rebellious attitudes towards Clan rule but lack known Society connections.

Terrorist Activity
Isle of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
22nd May 3108

A DropShip falls from the sky obliterating the planetary spaceport at Promise Point on Izar killing nearly three thousand civilians and causing billions of Kroner of damage.  A major trade centre on Carnwath is incinerated by a fuel-air explosion.  And a nuclear power plant on Zebeneschamali explodes with the core melting down causing massive casualties, radiation and damage to one of the planet’s major cities.  Each of these attacks occur within hours of each other and each is followed by substantial pirate raids against planetary militia forces attempting to help those who are affected causing yet more damage, confusion and loss of life.

Planetary battlefield
Deneb Kiatos, Alya Prefecture
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
25th May 3108

The star system of Deneb Kiatos was filled with fire as the Fourth Deneb Light Cavalry RCT returned to their homeworld for the first time in years.  In orbit the Tatsumaki II-class Destroyers DCS Shinanon and DCS Tsutuji faced a losing battle against the First Prince II-class Battleship FSS Hanse Davion II and the Congress II-class Frigate FSS Hotspur.  While in the atmosphere aerospace fighters battled for control over the skies closer to the DropShips Major Maksims Posadskovs turned his fighter in tight turns maintaining a close patrol of the regiment’s transports as they came in for a landing.

“Incoming conventional aerospace fighters and VTOL craft from the north First Battalion turn to repel them.”  Colonel Lisa Weir commanded “Second Battalion you get first crack on the ground don’t squander it give us a beachhead.”

“Aye Colonel” Posadskovs replied turning his fighter towards the ground switching frequencies as he did “alright boys and girls last one on the deck buys the beers” he transmitted.  As his aircraft closed on the ground Posadskovs flicked a switch on the side of his cockpit turning his Phoenix Hawk LAM from its aerospace fighter mode into an AirMech with the BattleMech’s leg’s extending from the fighter’s body and the fighter’s body beginning to show BattleMech characteristics.  Moments later Posadskovs flicked another switch and his AirMech completed its conversion to a normal BattleMech coming in for a landing on twin jets of fire.

On the ground Major Posadskovs scanned the area as other Land-Air Mechs of his battalion came in for their landings around the area clearing the way for the DropShips.  On his right he saw a glint of light as a Saracen hovertank flashed into view targeting his position with a flight of long range missiles.  Posadskovs didn’t wait returning fire immediately with his LAM’s Extended-Range Large Laser the red beam of light and energy cut through the air linking the LAM and the hovercraft for a moment.  The laser burned through the LAM’s armour finding a weak point causing a fiery explosion as the laser punctured the ammunition bay of the hovercraft marking the first ground-bound enemy destroyed by the Deneb Light Cavalry since returning to their homeworld.

Following their landings the AFFS unit quickly moved across the planet as familiar to them as any other in the Inner Sphere.  With the native population quickly turning against the occupying forces the Second Dieron Regulars Regiment and the Nineteenth Ghost Regiment are unable to stop the elite Light Cavalry and are quickly destroyed by the AFFS units.  With cheering crowds marking every street across the planet Deneb Kiatos is an important publicity victory for the Federated Suns making a far greater mark than any tactical victory which is important as Draconis Combine Mustered Society units continue to raid along the Draconis March border capturing Mata and Romam while weakening the defences on Ronel and Tybalt.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 19:13:50 by Dragon Cat »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #592 on: 26 February 2017, 12:02:04 »
Nice update!  another terrorist strike, this time in the Isle of Skye?  hmm...  And the hunt for Society members in Clan Space heats up!  Keep the stories

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #593 on: 26 February 2017, 18:55:49 »
Very full of action. I like!  Thou i find Cat's have it bit easy.  :o

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #594 on: 26 February 2017, 23:38:02 »
It's always good to see a First Prince II giving out lot's of love.
Terrorists in the Isle of Skye, looking forward to seeing what your plan is there DC. >:D O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #595 on: 01 March 2017, 14:30:52 »
Shadow_Wraith/Snakespinner - the Isle of Skye problems will go on for a while
Wrangler - I think I mentioned in the PM Tamar is only temporarily a Nova Cat holding only until the Society are gone then it goes back to the Coyotes.  The trials were for show and 'honour' little more

Archon’s Palace
Arcturus, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
3rd June 3108

“What do you mean the Hyper Pulse Generator on Gallery and three other worlds have gone dark?”  Archon Jessica Steiner demanded of her communication’s advisor Nina Gold who suddenly looked far paler than she had when she entered.

“Khan Evan Kell informed us of the failure in the early hours of this morning.  Sabotage he said” Gold replied after a moment to compose her thoughts “he said that Gallery will maintain communication with the Commonwealth via the HPG on board the Werewolf until the planetary centre is repaired.  He has offered to send WarShips or JumpShips equipped with HPGs to other systems to assist in our communications nation wide.”

“And as my communications advisor do you believe that this is an acceptable course of action for your Archon?”  Steiner demanded rising from her throne chair looking at her other advisors suddenly taking her wrath off Gold. “In the last month there have been terrorist strikes in Skye and now four worlds are cut off from the rest of the Commonwealth and my only solution is to lean on Clan Mountain Wolf for support.”  She said angrily the Clansmen had barely communicated with the Commonwealth since her failed bid to bring them into the LCAF.  “Is there another option?”  She demanded looking at General of Armies Aiden Gray.

“Yes, we leave them dark and pass messages by courier JumpShip.”  He said going with the simple option “it keeps Kell on the outside and buys you time to get communications back online.  If it is a longer repair then we bring Kell in and his Wolves get a little piece of the overall prize.”

“Seems prudent” Steiner admitted “what about these terrorist attacks where are we on finding and eliminating them.”

“Our biggest problem currently is we are not sure if there is a ‘them’ to target” Mathias Otto, the head of Intelligence, explained “each of the attacks we are certain originated out with the Lyran Commonwealth but one was funded off of Orestes in the Rasalhague Dominion, another off Kessel in the Combine and the third from within the Star League Protectorate.  We do not believe these three nations are working together against us only that perhaps someone behind the scenes is pulling their strings.”

“And this someone?”

“Still unknown” Otto replied

“And Skye is cooperating?”

“Duchess Aten is cooperating fully with our investigations.  She even provided us with additional supplies” Otto answered “it seems that Skye and Arcturus interests are travelling in the same direction.”

“That makes a nice change” Jessica Steiner said rubbing her hand against the side of her head she felt a migraine coming on she had been up for sixteen hours monitoring reports of Hell’s Horses raids against Lyndon, Kelenfold and Surcin.  The Clan had not attempted to take any of the worlds instead it had just caused a little trouble then left it was like the Horses were toying with her nation and she felt like biting at someone.

---

Across the Commonwealth at the same time Khan Evan Kell had also had a long day in what was probably going to be his last days as Khan of the Mountain Wolf Clan in fact it would be the last days of the Clan in its entirety.  Walking across the Mechbay on Gallery towards his Lycurgus Assault OmniMech he already knew that two Clusters of his Clan would not be accompanying his Clan on their new exodus and he knew that many others would likely die in the coming weeks are they attempted to reintegrate into Clan Wolf.  But there was no going back now they had already burned their bridges with the Lyran Commonwealth by attacking for Hyper Pulse Generators in the Halfway Province.  Once communication was restored the truth would come out that it wasn’t terrorists that caused the damage but member of Clan Mountain Wolf’s Touman.

It had been a hard decision to abandon the plan that his parents and Ulric Kerensky had come up with to split Clan Wolf sundering the Clan’s strength when the Clan invasion needed it the most.  His Mountain Wolves could not survive on their own with the world of Gallery the only one to sustain them and no additional money and supplies coming in from the banks and the mercenary trade of Arc Royal there his Clan were slowly dying.  There was only so much he could trade to the Sea Foxes, the most recent item being the Arc Royal his Clan’s Coventry-class Corvette, in exchange he had gained additional DropShips so nothing was left on Gallery and an additional supply of HarJel as a ransom for the Wolf Clan not the grand prize he had hoped to bring the Wolves but a start.

Climbing into the Lycurgus’ cockpit he activated his communication system and gave his final order as Khan to leave Gallery for the last time.  Their next stop would be the Clan Wolf capitol world of Sheridan deep inside the Wolf Empire.

Capellan Command
Forbidden City, Sian
Sian Commonality, Capellan Confederation
17th June 3108

“Why are they still able to resist us?”  Dao-Shen Liao asked his wife and military leader Erin Liao.  As they stood looking at the map of conflict in the centre of the room displayed on the large computer screen was the Oriente/Confederation border with five worlds burning showing conflict.  Two caused by the Confederation and three caused by Oriente and Regulus three further worlds on the Regulus/Canopus border burned as the Magistracy of Canopus attempted to assist the Capellans.

“Davion and Regulus are supporting them and they gain additional resources through the Star League Defence Force despite their claims to not be against us Kittery is not following the direction of Terra.”  Erin explained “We’ve lost the fight on Las Halles and Galloway VI there is no way back for our troops I have already ordered our people back into friendly systems.”  She said briefing her husband “Varna and Hassad will fall to us by the end of the month and I believe the Magistracy can capture both Kearny and Cirebon…”  She said hesitating before speaking again.

“Continue I will not hold anything against you for saying what you believe needs said”

“I do not believe we can sustain this conflict” she said finally “our resources are dwindling faster than those of the nations against us.”

“You are right which is why I have planned for one final strike” he said looking at her pointing at a single remaining system she expected it to be Fletcher or Oriente but instead he pointed at New Delos. “We will break the District of Oriente literally.”

“But they will still be connected politically” she pointed out just because their territory was split it didn’t mean that suddenly the nation would fall to pieces the St Ives Compact for example had held together far beyond the slitting of the nation and Star League Protectorate worlds were often separated by dozens of light-years yet they cooperated.

“Yes, but it will signal to the ‘top’ of the nation that Oriente only cares for itself.  Regulus will welcome worlds with open arms and forget their fight with us the more Oriente haemorrhages the more they grow.  The Federated Suns will seize the dream of rebuilding the fallen Sarna March internal division between Sarna and Kathil will divide their attention and we will have time to rebuild.”

“Divide and conquer” she said thinking over the Chancellor’s idea it could work.  Oriente’s allies were only allies because it was benefiting them Regulus, the FedRats and the Star League were all benefiting from the fight between Oriente and the Confederation.  “New Delos will not fall easily.”

“It doesn’t need to fall easily” he said confidently “it just needs to make a point” he said flicking his fingers.  Off to the side the aide cut off the map giving the impression that Dao-Shen’s ‘click’ had ended the map.

Anti-Society Operation
Weston Forge, Laurent
Coyote Occupation Zone
23rd June 3108

Dezgra was the term used to name the Nova Cat’s Third Watch Cluster.  Each of their Mechs carried the name every member of the unit wore the stigma of being dezgra because it allowed them to serve their Clan a little longer.  The Third Watch Cluster had the highest average age of all currently active clusters in the Nova Cat Touman with an average age of forty-two years.  But unlike other units with such a record the entire unit was equipped with advanced BattleMechs all designed to serve as part of this unit and this unit alone.  When the other Clans had discovered the existence of the Third Watch Cluster they had demanded that it never be used against a Clan target – the Society were not Clan.

Now Star Colonel Franka West crouched near the road with the other Nighthawk PA(L) suits of her point they were the Elementals of her two stars were ready to act when called on.  Along the road moved elements of the 202nd Battle Cluster of Clan Coyote their target.  Franka watched the range tick down waiting until the entire enemy Supernova Trinary and the convoy they were escorting.  “Drop the anvil” she commanded the BattleMechs each hidden by null signature systems in a single move both in front and behind the Coyote formation a two binaries made up of Exterminators and Spectors jumped into the front and rear of the Coyote formation while Liberators rose either side sealing the ambush.  “I am Star Colonel Franka West commanding all elements of the 202nd to stand down now.”

“Your use of stealth systems marks you as bad as those you claim as targets you could do so much more if you joined with these men and women.”  A male voice said from one of the armoured transports.

“We may be two sides of the same coin but we know our duty and where our loyalties lie.  202nd we have you dead to rights surrender NOW.”  Franka West commanded for a second final time, a final time.

“Surrender and you die!”  The male voice said again this time his words brought actions particle cannons, lasers, missiles and autocannons quickly filled the sky.  Several of Spector’s fell instantly as did two of the Liberators on the flanks but the return fire from the Third Watch devastated the defenders with missiles and laser fire from the Nova Cats cutting down multiple BattleMechs within seconds.

As the BattleMechs fought on each side of them the Nighthawks moved in from the sides two starts of Nova Cat Elementals concentrating fire with a single point taking down each defending Coyote Elemental.  With the Elementals eliminated quickly and the battle still raging around them Star Colonel Franka West and her troopers moved vehicle to vehicle executing the crews of the armoured transports and checking them for munitions and prisoners.  On the three centre vehicles of the seven vehicle convoy the Nova Cats found several Scientists from Clan Coyote including former Scientist General Helena one of the known Society leaders.

The spectacular success on Laurent comes at the right time as a similar operation on Mortiz goes horribly wrong and the entire Nova Cat Second Watch Cluster along with two Clan Coyote Clusters are completely wiped out when a Society Cell detonate a biological weapon in the atmosphere when forced to retreat.  Within a week the whole world of Mortiz is placed under quarantine as the biological contagion spreads through the world’s small population like wildfire.  By the end of August the world is essentially dead.

Under the guise of assisting the Coyotes against suspected Society units Clan Hell’s Horses move on the systems of Zoetermeer and Vulcan taking both fully under Horse control destroying the Eight Recon Cluster with overwhelming firepower.  In an almost perfectly mirrored move the Rasalhague Dominion take control over the systems of Hohenhems and Basiliano again using the premise of fighting off suspected Society and insurgent forces.  As the appointed leader of the efforts against the Society Khan Canin Rosse of Clan Nova Cat warn both Clans that further assaults on Coyote territory will be met by far greater force stating that their actions threaten to allow Society units to slip through the tightening net the Clans have cast for them.  No action is taken against either Clan for the worlds that have already fallen to either the Horses or Bears.

Author note
I know the Mountain Wolf solution is not the ideal one.  I had several options for them and I'll be honest I didn't know what I wanted to do for a good while. Here's some of the ideas I considered:

1) they stay the way they are essentially becoming part of the LCAF but also a wildcard like the canon Wolf (in-Exile) or Nova Cat Clans.  I like this AU to try and take some different paths than canon so I ruled it out quick

2) they escape into the periphery - I had a storyline I was considering with the periphery for the distant future that I've now abandoned.  But there's a second storyline I am actively pursuing along similar lines.  The Mountain Wolves could have fit into that they could have been angry enough at the Inner Sphere for the state they were left in to turn their backs on them and go nuts.  But it would have felt... wrong.  You'll understand if the timeline gets that far (late 3120s) it would have felt like I took them that way because I needed their firepower and numbers to make that story work when I really don't.

3) they go into the Star League Protectorate.  I seriously pursued this idea for a good while there is already Clan forces on New Earth (around a crashed WarShip).  I could link the Mountain Wolves to them and over time they become SLDF units part and parcel with the rest of the Protectorate.  Despite the similarities to the Republic foundation idea I kind of liked this idea for a while.

4) they return to the Wolves.  You might think this is the cheats finish for the Mountain Wolves - it sort of it and sort of isn't.  It's going to add a dimension to the core Wolf Clan we haven't seen for a while a division between Crusader and Warden (although those concepts have long been abandoned by the Wolves they care about themselves more than anyone else nowadays) it's going to give the Wolves back some of their character, give us some stories to tell inside the Wolf Empire and put a twist on their charging Clan machine.  It also gives Clan Wolf TWO McKennas...
« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 14:34:39 by Dragon Cat »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #596 on: 01 March 2017, 15:48:10 »
id rather seen them find some old RRW worlds and claim them
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #597 on: 01 March 2017, 16:15:50 »
very well and nice update, dragon cat. you got me cold. as i was reading the part with jessica i was like "aaahhhh this dumbass. now shes burning the very last hope of reconciling with the mountain wolves" .... and THEN the twist :D you got me there  ;D ;D O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #598 on: 01 March 2017, 18:48:38 »
I thought that the Mountain Wolves had part ownership of a warship yard?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #599 on: 01 March 2017, 23:34:41 »
Not a Fan of going back to the brutal crusader Wolves.

Going into the Deep Periphery and rebuilding is the most appealing to me.

Register