Author Topic: New Classics Status?  (Read 10252 times)

Louie N

• Lieutenant
New Classics Status?
« on: 23 February 2017, 11:34:09 »
Hello,

I promise to ask this question only once this year.  Where may I find information on the new Classics Mech releases. 

I am most interested in Marauder, Warhammer, and Locust. 

Is there any expected artwork for the Crusader and Valkyrie.

Thank you

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Re: New Classics Status?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2017, 12:26:03 »
Valkyrie's artwork has been floating around for quite some time now.

I'm more interested in Goliath and Scorpion "classic" redesigns, hopefully they'll show up sooner rather than later.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2017, 12:32:24 »
Hello,

I promise to ask this question only once this year.  Where may I find information on the new Classics Mech releases. 

I am most interested in Marauder, Warhammer, and Locust. 

Is there any expected artwork for the Crusader and Valkyrie.

Thank you

The Alpha Strike combat manuals have mini-TROs where a few of the "new" mechs are re-released.  I forget which is in Kurita and Mercs, but each has a few.  the covers of the new rulebooks have some more that aren't in the CMs yet.  the BattleMaster, Griffin, Thunderbolt, and iirc a few more have been published in artwork.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 16:01:50 »
Thank you for the artwork. 

Any word on the Miniatures?

I have the Shadow Hawk, waiting on the Ostscout when there is another release in the IWM store.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 16:10:45 »
According to IWM's release schedule;

The WSP-1A Wasp should be released in the 1st Qtr of 2017

They have FLE-14 Flea and VLK-QA Valkyrie listed for release in the 2nd Qtr of 2017

Caz

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2017, 18:46:51 »

They have FLE-14 Flea and VLK-QA Valkyrie listed for release in the 2nd Qtr of 2017

Caz

Are they redoing the Flea as part of the Classics redesigns? I didn't think there were any rights issues with that particular 'mech...

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2017, 19:54:22 »
Are they redoing the Flea as part of the Classics redesigns? I didn't think there were any rights issues with that particular 'mech...

Might just feel it needs a resculpt. I believe they've slowly been doing that with some of the older minis.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2017, 19:59:18 »
Sure I saw the primitive flea artwork somewhere ... XTRO Succession Wars, vol 1!

Riffs nicely off the MW4 art, if I say so myself:

I've got a few old "AT-ST" Fleas, they'll enjoy the company.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 20:33:51 »
Sure I saw the primitive flea artwork somewhere ... XTRO Succession Wars, vol 1!

Looks like a real trooper!  O0  (See what I did there?)
Hayden

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 20:59:19 »
Heh. A pune, or play on words, correct?

Consider yourself castigated. With a blunt spoon ;)

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2017, 01:36:35 »
Heh. A pune, or play on words, correct?

W.

In the fiction (TRO 3039 entry for the Flea, namely), the Flea's original moniker was "Trooper" (later dropped in favor of the more accurate term).  What I was getting at was that this illustration feels a bit closer to a "Trooper" than does the usual "Flea"  ;D
Hayden

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2017, 11:18:28 »
Thank you

Lastly any specifics on the Warhammer, Marauder, and Locust Miniatures.  Those were some of the first casts we saw.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2017, 13:42:43 »
Being held for CGL to release first.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2017, 14:48:02 »
IWM confirmed they are releasing a new classic miniature each quarter. We don't know what comes after Q2.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2017, 01:07:03 »

:o Ouch!

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2017, 03:43:26 »
I haven't been able to even find out what the weight class will be either and I spent a week or so pestering Speck about it before he fled the forums screaming making the excuse it was to move into a new house :crazy2:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2017, 16:31:47 »
:o Ouch!

- Shane

When my sons were small, one day I got fed up with their arguing, and thundered at them "If you don't be quiet, I'm going to castigate you, and cut off your perogatives!"

This was good for about 30 minutes stunned silence O0

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2017, 22:25:54 »
at this point the next batch of NuSeen Art is going to come from either CM Davion or 2nd Succession War, whichever comes first.

the Thunderbolt line art was shown in Spotlight: Crescent Hawks on an Alpha Strike Card, but it is teeny tiny.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2017, 23:06:06 »
2SW will be before CM Davion.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 03 March 2017, 00:50:29 »
at this point the next batch of NuSeen Art is going to come from either CM Davion or 2nd Succession War, whichever comes first.

the Thunderbolt line art was shown in Spotlight: Crescent Hawks on an Alpha Strike Card, but it is teeny tiny.

Aye, the picture's been floating around as well.
I, honestly, don't really understand why all the artworks are so... Spread apart into different books.

Still hoping that the Scorpion and Goliath get the same "Classics" treatment.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 03 March 2017, 12:11:14 »
According to IWM's release schedule;

The WSP-1A Wasp should be released in the 1st Qtr of 2017

Caz

I completely missed the Q2 part. That is exciting news.

Gonna get me some brand new valks to paint.  O0

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 03 March 2017, 13:21:07 »

Aye, the picture's been floating around as well.
I, honestly, don't really understand why all the artworks are so... Spread apart into different books.

Still hoping that the Scorpion and Goliath get the same "Classics" treatment.

Whoever the artist of the redone Unseens is, I´m your biggest fan :D

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 03 March 2017, 14:31:34 »
Whoever the artist of the redone Unseens is, I´m your biggest fan :D

IIRC, it's ShimmeringSword's work, right?

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2017, 14:59:45 »
IIRC, it's ShimmeringSword's work, right?
Aye.
It's Anthony Scroggins's (AKA Shimmering Sword) artwork.

I absolutely adore most of his Classics redesigns. His Marauder is easily the best Marauder design i've ever seen.
The only one i'm kind of... iffy about, is the Wolverine. I just prefer the medium laser being centered in front of the cockpit and not off to the side.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #24 on: 03 March 2017, 15:06:39 »
Aye.
It's Anthony Scroggins's (AKA Shimmering Sword) artwork.

I absolutely adore most of his Classics redesigns. His Marauder is easily the best Marauder design i've ever seen.
The only one i'm kind of... iffy about, is the Wolverine. I just prefer the medium laser being centered in front of the cockpit and not off to the side.

So far no misses all hits for me.  Though I was kind of hoping the Classic Wolverine would look like the 7H, but I'll live.  :-)
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 03 March 2017, 15:10:56 »
This from a week ago
Quote from: Speck
1st Quarter 2017 release is still a week or two off. One of the mechs was a little behind and is holding up the release.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #26 on: 03 March 2017, 15:14:17 »
I'm gonna have to get a bunch of those ultralight Fleas.

I don't even care that they're supposed to be rare in universe. I need a swarm.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2017, 15:48:29 »
So far no misses all hits for me.  Though I was kind of hoping the Classic Wolverine would look like the 7H, but I'll live.  :-)
Oh don't get me wrong, the 'Classic' Wolverine looks great, it's a very good looking design, but i just really, REALLY wish Shimmy found some way to incorporate the round head-turret into the design, because it's basically the most distinguishable/iconic part of its design.
Considering how the mech's original description in 3025 TRO mentions how the "ball turret originally providing a 360° field of fire on early models of the Wolverine" and had to be restricted via some electronics in order to prevent it from being able to shoot itself (which is a really interesting and charming piece of lore fluff), having the laser mounted off to the side and obviously being a static placement with no such articulation is kind of a bummer to me.
It still looks good though.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 16:05:00 by Juodas Varnas »

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 03 March 2017, 16:33:24 »
I don't even care that they're supposed to be rare in universe.

Nice part about defining your own alternate timeline is that you don't have to follow the official version... In my universe, Earthwerks FWL has been churning out Fleas since they captured Asuncion and Bernardo somewhere in the 29th century. These are the only two facilities that build the Flea, so they are mainly seen in Marik space, filling the position in lances normally reserved for the Locust (The FWL does not build the Locust). Even though Asuncion has seesawed between Marik and Liao, attrition has reduced the Capellan Confederation's supply of Fleas down to no greater than would be expected of any design being salvage across the border. What all this means is that Marik will have a bunch of Fleas (I think it is something like 15% of all light Mechs should be Fleas), Liao and Steiner will have a few (Maybe 1/2% - 1%) and Davion and Kurita will have only the rare example.

In the end, I think I'll probably treat the original Flea as just that, the original, and if the Flea gets a "Classic" face-lift, say that all Fleas after a certain year were built with this look. That means that when Wolf's Dragoons shows up with their stockpile of original looking Fleas, it will just lend credence to the idea that they raider a Star League supply cache... And I can still have a home for all while old ones, while it explains away the new ones.

Caz

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 03 March 2017, 16:51:33 »
So far no misses all hits for me.

Same here. Each and every one of his redesigns so far has been a delight to see -- evocative enough of the... you know what... to hit me right in the nostalgia, yet different enough to a) keep... you know who... off of CGL's back and b) integrate the designs into the current aestetic (let's be fair, some of the original artwork was starting to look shopworn and out-of-place, quiaff?)