Author Topic: What rules are people using?  (Read 5049 times)

HeirophantX

• Recruit
What rules are people using?
« on: 31 January 2011, 17:07:28 »
I picked up AToW.  I had the old Mechwarrior rpg with the half-wrecked Rifleman on the cover.  What is everyone else using?

My setting of choice is 3025.  I'm wondering if it's worth my while to pick up the old version for the relevent mech tables and what-not.

Is that 1st ed book even still under copyright?

Starglider111

Re: What rules are people using?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 19:18:12 »
great question i was wondering this too. Plus to people actually play it without the strategic mech portion of the game aka only the RPG?

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2011, 03:01:18 »
My gaming group uses the AToW rules (modified back to 2D10) for both in-'Mech and out-of-'Mech

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Saurok

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2011, 01:41:32 »
I use AToW rules for non-mech play. And when players use mechs/vehicles in combat I switch to TW + TacOps.

Tokage

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2011, 16:01:36 »
I use my own slightly tweaked version of the BRP system with the BT setting.

Our last several campaigns have all featured no 'Mech combat. 
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men. - HRH D. Dravot

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2011, 00:47:15 »
My gaming group uses the AToW rules (modified back to 2D10) for both in-'Mech and out-of-'Mech
At the risk of a threadjack, how hard/extensive was the mod? Why did you do it? And how have you liked it?
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2011, 01:34:19 »
Is that 1st ed book even still under copyright?

Yes.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 09:41:45 »
  We're using AToW for our 3SW game, but I do make extensive use of older, first edition books.  We're using the fluff, monetary values, 'Mech rarities and other background info from MechWarrior 1st Edition, The Mercenary's Handbook, JumpShips and DropShips, the original TRO: 3025 and 3026.

Since we're playing in 3SW, we're using a LOT of material about nobles, landholds, etc.  Our unit is made of the scions and retainers of the Houses Minor that rule various parts of the planet Royal.  Our initial decision to use AToW was based on the desire to use the latest-greatest set of official rules - a decision that has been rendered moot by the interminable wait for Interstellar Operations.  We've cobbled together our own resource management for landholds by adapting information from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Without a current rules set for managing a command, it seems like we're using about 33% AToW and the rest sources from older Battletech books and other RPGs.  It'd be awfully nice if Interstellar Ops were out sometime relatively soon...
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 10:55:15 »
At the risk of a threadjack, how hard/extensive was the mod? Why did you do it? And how have you liked it?

Not too difficult. We changed the Link Attribute bonuses, To-Hit and PSR modifiers to better suit the 2D10 curve.

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2011, 10:57:25 »
Not too difficult. We changed the Link Attribute bonuses, To-Hit and PSR modifiers to better suit the 2D10 curve.

Aren't the link attribute bonuses at the same level as they were in MW3, and thus already made to suit a 2D10 curve?

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2011, 11:25:28 »
Aren't the link attribute bonuses at the same level as they were in MW3, and thus already made to suit a 2D10 curve?

Sort of. But with the modified TNs they needed a minor tweek.

Code: [Select]
Attribute    Link Modifier     
  0        -6
  1      -3
  2        -2
  3        -1
  4-5      0
  6-7    +1
  8-9    +2
  10      +3

The Skill TNs are changed to look like

Code: [Select]
2D6  %fail    2D10  %fail
 7     41.6%  11     45 %
 8     58.3%  12     55%
 9     72.2%  14     72%

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2011, 18:45:42 »
I own AToW but whenever we play a game my players drag out our old shredded MW3 copy and associated folders of added on crap and play with that. Its what we know.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2011, 21:34:50 »
I use the Regimental rules. Every time.  8)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

HeirophantX

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2011, 17:21:41 »
Regimental rules?

I'm also a BRP/RQ fan and I was thinking of just converting AToW stuff to that.