Author Topic: Looking for group in Central Maryland  (Read 116448 times)

Dystynct2

• Recruit
Looking for group in Central Maryland
« on: 13 March 2014, 18:09:12 »
I am looking for a BT group in central Maryland. I'm pretty much right in between Baltimore & DC so any of the surrounding area would work. I would prefer a campaign oriented group but wouldn't pass on 1 off games depending on location and time. Feel free to send me a PM or post a reply.

Thanks in advance,
Dystynct2

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: Looking for group in Central Maryland
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2014, 20:11:42 »
There's a group up that way, Glen Burnie. Fifteen years ago, I could have been more certain, because I used to live up there, but there is a group up there....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2014, 14:32:22 »
Dystynct2:

Cool.  There is someone in the DC/Baltimore area who still plays CBT.

I'm living over in the Edgewater, MD area and - at some point in the semi-near future - I'd love to actually play a game.  Truth be told, I haven't actually put a mech on a board since before I left Georgia.  And, if my math is right, that means I haven't played for more than 3 years - so I would anticipate a bad case of TW rust during the first game.  I suspect that the extended break is somewhat related to job and son.  But the little dude is finally closing in on 4 years old, with the result that I am starting to recover little slices of personal time.

On the plus side, I've still got my collection.  That means hundreds of painted mechs, a dozen or so boxes of GeoHex, model buildings, trees - generally everything you'll ever need to play CBT on 3D hexes.  Most of my units are configured for 3025/3039 play...but I could certainly add new units to expand the time range in which they can be used.  If you like campaign play and you need some "bad guys"...we should talk.  Smart money says that I have something in the display cabinet, or I can crank out a new unit easily enough. I have been able to paint a little bit since we moved to the greater DC metropolitan area - "Thank God for Army Painter."  Amazing how having a little guy will change your painting style.  Anyway -

I've got a job that keeps me pretty busy, and we just moved into our new house by the bay.  But, now that we are well and truly situated in the region, I'd love to make connections with others who play toy from time to time.

Dystynct2

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2014, 15:26:16 »
I have stopped in at Games and Stuff a number of times when I first moved to the area.  I was told BT was played but it was a matter of being there when it was going on.  This was before the explosion of social media and I just saw that a game of Alpha Strike is scheduled for the 29th so I'll make my way there.

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2014, 20:20:40 »
Count me in for any games you setup.  Haven't played in years, but have lots of stuff.  I probably won't make it to the game on the 29th.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2014, 20:24:34 »
I have stopped in at Games and Stuff a number of times when I first moved to the area.  I was told BT was played but it was a matter of being there when it was going on.  This was before the explosion of social media and I just saw that a game of Alpha Strike is scheduled for the 29th so I'll make my way there.

Yo.

I'm one of the idiots doing Battletech at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie- we tend to be there about once a month since most of us live in DC, so it's an hour out of the way. We took March off due to scheduling issues between trying to get set up there or at Cold Wars, but we should be back to it shortly. We tend to get started around noon, run until they throw us out, and drink a lot of caffeinated beverages and complain about dice in between. PM either myself or Paul (that's the name he uses here, really) for more details if you need them- Paul preferrably, since he actually knows what he's talking about. ;)

EDIT: I also myself run a campaign in northern DC once a month (on hiatus this month while I dealt with some personal issues)- probably back to that in April at some point, but haven't set a date yet. If anyone is interested in joining that, let me know- we run it at one of my local players' home, so I won't give too much info publicly on where and all that, but basically it's mercs vs. Blakist militia on Tall Trees mid-Jihad.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2014, 20:28:21 by JadeHellbringer »
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2014, 19:50:44 »
JH:

Cool.

Unless something unexpected and/or horrible comes up, I intend to stop by on 3/29.  Since my job is taking me away that following Monday, most of my weekend belongs to wife and child.  But, if nothing else, I'll stop by for 15 minutes to so to watch an Alpha Strike game, make introductions, etc.  Last I checked, there were a couple decent lunch places in downtown GB, so I bet I can justify a trip, then take the family across the street for a bite.

Look forward to meeting folks next weekend.  Best of luck.  CP

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2014, 19:56:41 »
Everyone:

Awesome to see actual people playing CBT again after a ~3 year absence.

Was only able to stay for a couple minutes, since I had both wife and 3 year old in tow.  I'll watch the Games & Stuff website, and try to make it out to the April or May games to actually 'play toy.'  Couple of semi-relevant asides -

1.  This shows how long it has been since I went to an actual game store, but folks would have been amused to watch me standing in the rain and scratching my head in 'downtown' Glen Burnie.  Last time I went to the game store up there, I would absolutely swear it was located in a two story building across from the DT restaurants, etc.  Thank god for the Internet and hand-held devices.

2. The "new" (to me) location is wonderful.  It has been a heck of a long time since I've seen a shop that spacious and well stocked.  I was just about floored to see that someone local stocks The Army Painter "stuff."  Even better, I was able to pick up a copy of the newest Intro Set.

Absolutely no contest when one compares the latest set of plastic miniatures to what came in the 25th Anniversary Edition set.  The old ones were pretty bad.  The new set is good enough that I will spend the time and effort to clean and paint 'em.  Since my wife isn't a huge fan of the little dude playing with all my lead toys, the new minis will replace his old set of plastics.  Definitely worth the money if you want something that could easily be turned into TT quality units.

Sorry I didn't get to stay longer.  The only actual name-face I managed to catch was "Paul."  If someone would be so kind, I'd love to pass a quick "Thank You" to the very nice gentleman who caught me standing in the checkout line with the CBT Intro Set.  I'd looked for the CBT crew in the game room, somehow missed everyone, and was ready to go when he noticed my purchase.  Appreciate him taking the time to start a conversation and point me in the right direction.  "Thanking You."  CP

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2014, 07:57:39 »
So I made it afterall.  Sorry I had to leave early, but I think the Fedcom was on the verge of victory.  I’d like to know how it turned out.

Dystynct2

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2014, 10:34:15 »
Unfortunately, right as I was about to walk out the door my son said he didn't feel good.  That saying of plans and contact with the enemy comes to mind, the enemy in this case being an infection.  Hopefully I'll make it to a game in the near future.

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2014, 10:29:25 »
Everyone:

Since I'm currently enjoying a wonderful day off...

Thought I'd come back to this thread and see how everyone is doing.  As of a few minutes ago, I utterly failed to find another scheduled CBT game at Games & Stuff.  Did I miss something that is already planned? Or are people on early summer hiatus to enjoy the weather?

On this particular front, it has been a crazy month.  Things are calming back down ("Yippee!"), and I'm taking most of this week off.  Aside from some work both inside and outside the house, my "big plan" is to get a few more Deneb Light Cavalry units painted.  A Hornet and Commando have been hanging out on my painting table long enough that both will need to be dusted before painting resumes. Probably time to do something about that sad, sad situation.

Other folks still alive and kicking?  CP

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2014, 13:58:08 »
Absolutely! Just coming off vacation or I'd have responded sooner.

I've attended Paul's games at G&S for more than a year, and I was there in March. Rtifs, I was with you on the FC side. We got through maybe two more turns, and we had the Clanners pretty well encircled until I took the Mauler lance a little too wide. A bunch of stuff died on the last turn and we called it a tactical draw, I think. Never did get those reserve Marauders into play..

Pinkney, I think I saw you talking to Paul that day with the new Box Set in hand, but didn't have a chance to introduce myself. Glad to hear the minis are improved, I haven't bought the new set yet.

I'm running an Alpha Strike game at my local store, Critical Hit Games in Abingdon MD (Harford County) on Sunday, June 22. Not sure what Paul's plans are, but I'd also be happy to meet up at G&S anytime to play some CBT--doesn't have to be a formal thing. I'm eager to play as well.

Thanks,
Aaron

EDIT: The AS game I'm planning will be "The Liberation of An Ting," War of 3039. Company of Davion vs Company of Kurita. But I'm open to play in any era, I'm not picky.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2014, 14:01:15 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2014, 14:54:29 »
Paul's running an AS game on 6/14 at Glen Burnie, so check it out. Future summer events are in the air; I think we're looking at doing some smaller, regular BT games for the immediate future.
Eh.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2014, 16:28:44 »
Glad to hear it. The game isn't on their events page (yet), so I wasn't sure if/when those would resume. As I said, I'm always up for a game of any size in the central MD area, formal or not.

BtotheBop

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2014, 21:15:14 »
Oh wow.  As someone in Baltimore who is looking to get into the game, this is a really encouraging thread.  I'll try to make it out to G&S on the 14th. O0

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2014, 02:06:28 »
Cool, nice to see the interest!

Yes, I'll be up at Games & Stuff store this Saturday, (14th) starting at noon, going till about 6pm. It'll be Alphastrike, Mechs on vehicles. Let's see whether 'Mechs are still kings.

Hope to see you there, but if not, maybe we'll catch you at another time.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2014, 20:54:08 »
Everyone:

Quick "Thank You" -

I actually made it out to Games & Stuff for today's event.  Didn't play this time; something about waiting for a phone call letting me know that my wife and kid were finished at Riverfest. But it was awesome to meet folks, look at toys, chat for a while, and watch a game of Alpha Strike in progress.  I'll finish reading the AS rulebook sometime in the near future, and then be ready to jump in during the next AS game.

Thanks again to everyone who was out at G&S today.  It looks like there is a pretty cool crew playing in the greater DC area.  Back to painting toys, and see people at the next event!  CP

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 17 June 2014, 21:20:18 »
I'm bummed I couldn't make it out this time--some plans changed and I had to skip it. Hopefully there'll be a July event on the books soon, and I can get down there.

Also, don't forget that I'm running an Alpha Strike Game this Sunday, June 22, at Critical Hit Games (http://crit-hit.com/home/277859) in Abingdon, Md. Company-on-company, Davion vs. Kurita in the Battle of An Ting during the War of 3039. Hope to see you there!

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2014, 06:05:05 »
Cubby:

Thanks for letting us know about today's game. I live over in Edgewater, MD, and I'd intended to come up.  It isn't too far, and the store's website looks pretty cool. However -

Chris needs to check his calendar before making plans.  My wife just reminded me that I'm going to the dentist today...so that kinda trashes my initial plan.  Love to see pics of how the game turns out.  I've always enjoyed AFFS v. DCMS action, and your scenario sounds exciting.  Best of luck.  CP

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2014, 07:09:33 »
If it helps any, the game is tomorrow, SUNDAY, the 22nd. Maybe that works better for you? If not, I'm  trying to keep a monthly game going at that store. And again, I'd be happy to meet up for AS or some CBT on a day that works better for you, just PM me!

PINKNEY

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2014, 13:54:43 »
Cubby:

OMG.  My last post just became "Reason 2,736" why I shouldn't attempt to work or post before the coffee has finished working its way through my veins.  You can imagine how happy I am that I didn't have an argument with my wife ("Oh, come on.  It is a routine cleaning.  I can just reschedule...") when it came to the scheduling conflict.

Tomorrow might make a difference.  I've got a good list of Sunday chores but - since I saw your post now - I'll get started.  If I'm lucky, I'll be at a point where I can head up your way tomorrow.  Thanks for the clarification, and sorry about the idiot post.  Best of luck.  CP

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2014, 19:49:30 »
A well-fought game on Sunday, but after about 8-10 turns, the relief forces of the Ryuken-roku succeeding in driving the 17th Avalon Hussars off of An Ting, ending with 85 points of 'Mechs remaining to the Davion's 74 points!

The Davion forces attempted to claim the middle of the table, but were forced to maneuver around a large and inconveniently placed mesa, and eventually divided their command lance to bring the Ryuken to battle where they wanted. It cost the Hussars a Zeus, but the table center turned into a meat-grinder.

An ad-hoc lance of jump-capable 'Mechs leapt over the mesa to rain fire down on the Kurita command lance, but the losses piled up too quickly for the remaining Davion 'Mechs to hold--and might have been worse, but the three remaining light Ryuken 'Mechs succeeded on hitting just two of nine possible back-shots on a Cyclops in three successive turns. Seppuku rituals are being arranged for later this week.

The Ryuken victory was not untainted, however--as they departed, three of the honorless Davion scum concentrated their fire on Tai-sa Dechan Fraser's Atlas, eating away his armor and doing just a single point of structure damage that triggered an ammo explosion and sent Fraser to the halls of his ancestors. (And made Wolf Pack a somewhat shorter read...)

A big thanks to my pal Andy for a hard-fought game. Watch this space for an announcement of next month's scenario!

Pics:
2 - A mixed lance of Hussars vault the mesa to finally bring their firepower to bear on the Kurita command lance.

3 - An Atlas eye view of the stricken Zeus and the approaching Hussar 'Mechs.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2014, 08:53:26 »
Will there be a July game at Games & Stuff, or will Historicon take its place?

The_head_of_Neal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 06 July 2014, 19:16:41 »
Hit me up after GenCon.  I live outside of next to the beltway.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2014, 07:25:01 »
Will there be a July game at Games & Stuff, or will Historicon take its place?

There's a game we just set up for this Saturday, July 26, from 10 - 5. Last minute, yes, but we just only got all the players/pieces in place.
Eh.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2014, 10:45:26 »
I'm running another Alpha Strike game at Critical Hit Games in Abingdon, Md. at 1 p.m. this Sunday, August 10. It'll be a breakthrough type scenario set in the first days of the Clan invasion. Hope to see you there!

Also, I'm available next weekend if anyone wants to catch a quick game in the area, possibly down in Glen Burnie. I don't know if the regular crew there is also planning to meet up this month or not, but I'd be up for an extra game is anyone else is.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 21:25:53 by Cubby »

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2014, 20:23:46 »
Anything in y'all's neck of the woods in the next month or so?  Planning a trip to Fairfax to see the in-laws and the wife has greenlit a free day... I'll drive up to MD to play with stompy robots

To the patient go the spoils

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 22 August 2014, 20:17:34 »
Greets various: my next event at Games & Stuff will be on September 27th.

Liao vs. Republic!
Every nation ceded worlds to the Fledgling Republic. Some to dodge the bill of repairs. Some to give the Republic an earnest chance at success. OK, mostly the former, but only the Capellans found their donation to be entirely involuntary.
They sought to rectify this clerical error with significant amounts of force, and a war erupted that just about everyone could enjoy watching.

You'll play in one such battles, displaying both the differences in doctrine, devices and determination on both sides.
Handy cheatsheets to be provided to get you up to speed on your brand new gear, so don't worry if you're not feeling all the way up to snuff yet.

Rules will be TW, with a sprinkling of TO. Hope to see you there!

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 29 August 2014, 08:30:19 »
Some friends and I will be doing a simple grinder at Bel Air Games (belairgames.com) in Bel Air on Monday, Sept 1. If you're not at a barbecue, come start one by challenging the lance of Firestarters!

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2014, 18:36:48 »
Is the Sept. 27 game still happening at Games & Stuff? What time? & do I need to do anything, besides showing up, to play?