Author Topic: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising  (Read 156845 times)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Re: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising
« Reply #60 on: 10 February 2011, 15:00:16 »
I can only assume less than cordial as the Concordat is still divided.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #61 on: 10 February 2011, 18:47:07 »
There's a whole chunk of worlds the Taurians held that are now out in the dark and another group that wound up in Davion hands even as the Protectorate has expanded.  The TC is apparently going through hard times.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 10 February 2011, 19:49:19 »
Maybe this sounds crazy, but the Taurians have quickly become my favourite Periphery faction.

Why?

They aren't Mary Sues. Stuff actually happens to them! And sometimes (especially recently) its bad. Really interesting faction. Hopefully they get a rebirth of unity and power.

A lot of fans of different factions seem to have a favourite unit in a faction. I'm new to the Taurians, so I'm not overly familiar with their armed forces.

So, Taurian fans, what is your favourite TDF unit?

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #63 on: 10 February 2011, 20:46:42 »
I've always liked the Hyades Light Infantry, because I like mobile units and also find the name amusing. Bur since they got wiped out, right now my fav is the Red Chasseurs.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

tomaddamz

• Master Sergeant
  • EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EVIL PLAN
« Reply #64 on: 10 February 2011, 20:53:34 »
Maybe this sounds crazy, but the Taurians have quickly become my favourite Periphery faction.

Why?

They aren't Mary Sues. Stuff actually happens to them! And sometimes (especially recently) its bad. Really interesting faction. Hopefully they get a rebirth of unity and power.

A lot of fans of different factions seem to have a favourite unit in a faction. I'm new to the Taurians, so I'm not overly familiar with their armed forces.

I like the Taurian Concordant...what they really need is a Secretary of State to smooth over relations with the Calderon Protectorate and any non-aligned worlds...Kinda like a Dr. Henry Killinger and his Magic Murder Bag ;D
Saying that because the equipment isn't up-to-the-minute, bleeding-edge tech therefore not a threat is like saying an M2 Browning isn't dangerous to modern infantry because it is 100 years old.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #65 on: 10 February 2011, 21:59:43 »
Somehow I don't think that The Calderon Protectorate and the rest of the Taurian state are just going to make up and go back to the business of being paranoid.
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #66 on: 11 February 2011, 04:39:31 »
Yeah...the military junta sounds pretty hardcore to me. Everybody in their ruling Five is either fanatical like a wobbie or in it for greed like the civvy Commager.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #67 on: 11 February 2011, 05:19:26 »
My favorite is generally either the Taurian Guard, the Taurian Lancers, or the New Colony Lancers (the later is the paint scheme I paint my Taurian 'Mechs in).

:)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

wookiebear

• Recruit
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #68 on: 11 February 2011, 11:47:27 »
I have always liked the "House" Merc units like the Bannockburn's Bandits, Gordon's Armored Calvary and, more recently, Prey's Divisionals.

The long term Merc units in the TC seem to become more TC than some of the other "real" house units, at least if you read some of the fluff.
As far as House units I always like the Hyades Light Infantry and hope they will get reformed like it implies in the write up of the Taurian Guard post 3066.

Wookie
No matter where you go, there you are

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 14 March 2011, 09:37:41 »
      (Shamefully bumps thread so Taurian fans have place to talk to each other if they so choose)

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 14 March 2011, 10:39:30 »
I'm certain the Taurian people, the chosen race of the Periphery ( :D) have a bright future ahead of them.

Look at the Capellan Confederation. The writers eviscerated and humiliated it, and now its arguably one of the strongest Inner Sphere powers! All the Concordat needs is a new, charismatic leader (and patron author).

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #71 on: 14 March 2011, 11:31:35 »
What you need is a Calderon leading the Concordat.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #72 on: 14 March 2011, 11:59:24 »
I'm certain the Taurian people, the chosen race of the Periphery ( :D) have a bright future ahead of them.

Look at the Capellan Confederation. The writers eviscerated and humiliated it, and now its arguably one of the strongest Inner Sphere powers! All the Concordat needs is a new, charismatic leader (and patron author).

More important part bolded, sadly.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

tomaddamz

• Master Sergeant
  • EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EVIL PLAN
« Reply #73 on: 14 March 2011, 23:42:29 »
I vote for Dr Henry Killinger, and his Magic Murder bag, he'd be awesome as the Vp or secretary of state...
Saying that because the equipment isn't up-to-the-minute, bleeding-edge tech therefore not a threat is like saying an M2 Browning isn't dangerous to modern infantry because it is 100 years old.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #74 on: 15 March 2011, 00:09:58 »
Sometimes I wonder if the concordant was written different in the novel I would like them a lot better.   
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #75 on: 15 March 2011, 03:08:22 »
As far as I know, there has never been a novel that featured anything from the TC.  I could be wrong though.

*sighs*
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 15 March 2011, 04:02:34 »
     Wasn't expecting this kind of a response when I decided to bump this thread.   :)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 15 March 2011, 16:22:56 »
Personally my favorate TDF unit is the Taurian Lancers, hopefully the Concordat will come back together during the dark age timeline like the Free Worlds seems to be.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #78 on: 16 March 2011, 09:12:19 »
Personally my favorate TDF unit is the Taurian Lancers, hopefully the Concordat will come back together during the dark age timeline like the Free Worlds seems to be.

With a  little luck, lamost anything is posible, but taking in count that the authors made clear that most of the attention is focused in the IS powers, i am happy to see a recovering post-junta TC in the DA.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #79 on: 21 March 2011, 15:34:38 »
Anyone know of any daughters/sisters/cousins of the TC's rulers in 3075 that could be married off for diplomatic purposes?  Especially in an AU where the nation does not split.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #80 on: 21 March 2011, 15:42:24 »
Cousins, possibly, but not daughters or sisters.  The succession problem is why Grover Shraplen was in charge.  However, keep in mind that you don't need to just marry off female relatives for diplomatic purposes especially if they're not far up in the line of succession.

jeyar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 21 March 2011, 18:16:32 »
Also don't forget that supposedly there still WERE some "in the line of" relatives that didn't want the job.

Which considering that 2+ members of the direct family ran off instead of taking the position suggests that Grover is something of an abberation in the TC anyway - someone that WANTS the job...
-------

After some thought I realized that TC has a history of the family not wanting the job - and that in almost every case but one (IIRC) when we get a sort of feeling for why they took the Protectorship it was for either family or duty or both....

Yeah - the Protectorship of the TC: either it is so nasty a job that no one sane and competent would WANT it, or the TC had a distinction finally: they consistently got the right people for the job (someone that didn't want the power).
NEAT [rockon]

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #82 on: 22 March 2011, 10:22:28 »
I remember that there is a bastard-Calderon in the Green Mountain Boys merc unit. (more the son of a bastard son).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #83 on: 22 March 2011, 11:23:44 »
Just looking for a name or two and some backstory for guidance in some RP.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 22 March 2011, 14:15:05 »
I remember that there is a bastard-Calderon in the Green Mountain Boys merc unit. (more the son of a bastard son).

Maybe.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Taurianspy

• Private
  • "Life, Liberty, and the pursue of Davion Invaders"
« Reply #85 on: 29 March 2011, 00:27:07 »
While speculation on a history of Calderon's not assuming thier hireditary position as Protector may have merit looking in from the outside, one must understand the social applications as they pertain to Taurian citizens.  Individual freedoms are highly valued in Taurian society, and it would be an incomplete assessment if one would make a judgement without considering this social aspect.

Lets take a look at Thomas Calderon's children alone.  Edward Calderon, the first in line was groomed from birth to take the reins.  At the time of his death, he was a trusted advisor and ruler of several planets in the TC.  He died in a dropship accident in March of 34.  Next in line was Janice Calderon, and at the age of 14, assumed the role of hier protector.  In 3038, while touring the TC, she contracted the Brisbane virus.  As above, the next in line was Ian, and he joined the Green Mountain Boys in 42.  His leaving appears to be a love interest (being it as a mechwarrior or a women) and not one of fleeing the responsibility of Protector.  That leaves Felix, the 4th in line and a highly unlikely situation.  Again, the love interest apears to win out again in the Calderon line, and speculation is that Felix fled the TC.  The fact remains that Felix's jumpship disappeared in 46 while on a star mapping mission.  Finally, maybe the greatest hope of all of Thomas's children, Jeffery, assuming the Protectorship in 55, and was killed in 3060.  All five of Thomas's children have assumed the position of hier protector, while only Jeffery has assumed the position of Protector for an extended period.  If avoidance of the position constitutes being dead, then I agree with that speculation, but it is obviously a position that lacks merit.

On a side note, for such a small and uninfluencial faction that the TC is widely percieved as, I find it amazing that in the span of just over 25 years, they have lost 6 prominent leaders that did or would have influenced the TC political scene.  Throw in the removal of Hadji Doru and Janice's major sickness and the TC has lost 8 leaders in that time.  Prior to the Jihad, the Inner Sphere was pressed to account for the loss of that many major political leaders as a whole during that time.

What would motivate that kind of writer action?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 01:12:30 by Taurianspy »
"Bosephus" and "Stumprunner" was not just a man and his mech.  They were a style of play that left everyone thinking about the impact of piloting skill on the game.  Unconscious pilots and prone mechs are easy targets even for poor marksman.

jeyar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 29 March 2011, 00:36:40 »
When was the copy and paste functions in the real world invented again?

;D

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #87 on: 29 March 2011, 08:27:59 »
Ian Calderon was joined the 'Boys in 42, and was 'devoured' in 48.  Captain 'Thomas' Everett, son of Ian's lover Racheal Everett, as written in 66-67, he would have been 19-24 yo.  While possible to advance to the rank of Captain at that age, it would be unlikely outside of the clans.

This is all sorts of incorrect.

The Green Mountain Boys started working on Thraxa in 3048, it doesn't say what year he was eaten.
Ian Calderon's former lover is named Rachael Sullivan.
It is never discussed when Rachael and Ian began their affair, where they met, when Thomas Everett was born or what his age.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Taurianspy

• Private
  • "Life, Liberty, and the pursue of Davion Invaders"
« Reply #88 on: 30 March 2011, 00:20:38 »
Wonderful points Kit. I conceed the argument and will edit the post.
"Bosephus" and "Stumprunner" was not just a man and his mech.  They were a style of play that left everyone thinking about the impact of piloting skill on the game.  Unconscious pilots and prone mechs are easy targets even for poor marksman.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #89 on: 30 March 2011, 14:52:22 »
Prior to the Jihad, the Inner Sphere was pressed to account for the loss of that many major political leaders as a whole during that time.

Hanse Davion
Justin Xiang Allard
Romano Liao
Myndo Waterly
Takashi Kurita
Melissa Steiner
Morgan Hasek-Davion
Demona Azis
Thomas Blane
Aaron Sandoval
Arthur Steiner-Davion
Jackson Davion
Tormano Liao
Nondi Steiner

The list just goes on. If I could be bothered to look it up, I would not be surprised to discover pretty much everyone aside from the Capellan Confederation leaving the Concordat in the dust, particularly in the wake of the FedCom Civil War.

What would motivate that kind of writer action?

The needs of the story?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 14:54:03 by Stormfury »
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Register