Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 225713 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1410 on: 19 February 2018, 04:19:36 »
Actually I'm pretty sure that normally distribution rights would give you enough to sue, their actually at least partially useless without. Nintendo US wouldn't be able to sue anyone for making pirate copies of Nintendo games without.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1411 on: 19 February 2018, 09:12:54 »

That is not the same thing at all.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #1412 on: 19 February 2018, 09:48:51 »
Actually I'm pretty sure that normally distribution rights would give you enough to sue, their actually at least partially useless without. Nintendo US wouldn't be able to sue anyone for making pirate copies of Nintendo games without.
While you are sort of correct the problem is that the cases are totally different.
Nintendo, US, is a division of Nintendo it's only different for certain trade, finance, and service functions.
HG is a licenseor of another property it would be kind of like saying, if you were a landlord that your renters could sue people on your behalf just because they feel like doing it.  Additionally HG is claiming, that their license and the fact that they took out copyrights means that they own the images in question and the actual creators don't  (at least in the US) which is contrary to copyright law as I understand it. 

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1413 on: 19 February 2018, 13:39:42 »
Also, Judge Zilly expressly brought up Rule 11 as one big STOP sign for HG. That is something that doesn't happen unless one party is acting particularly egregiously.

I know we don't want to get too hopeful that we shut ourselves off to a negative result, but that Rule 11 thing is big.

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #1414 on: 20 February 2018, 21:02:18 »
just came across this on the Nerdist https://nerdist.com/robotech-brian-wood-new-series-interview/. HG and Titan Comics are rebooting Robotech as a new comic. Wonder how derivative their works are going to be to the "41"

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1415 on: 20 February 2018, 21:11:06 »
Well besides the more humanesque look in the characters, I'd say this version is starting right back at the start.
So I'd say HG is gonna claim their hold on the Robotech versions of the 41.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1416 on: 20 February 2018, 21:31:13 »
that one started last year. it basically an alternate universe type set up with some major changes to the story. i beleive i'd already mentioned that earlier in the thread actually, just not by name.

the first issue had major deviations and apparently they just piled on over those first issues as a ripple effect.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #1417 on: 20 February 2018, 21:35:28 »
that one started last year. it basically an alternate universe type set up with some major changes to the story. i beleive i'd already mentioned that earlier in the thread actually, just not by name.

the first issue had major deviations and apparently they just piled on over those first issues as a ripple effect.

You forgot the Overbite they gave Bretai. We already generated 13+ pages nerding about it on Macross World's forums already. Needless to say, It's stupid (that comic)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1418 on: 20 February 2018, 21:41:34 »
i actually haven't read it myself, other than the couple pages of the 1st issue they used as a teaser. most of my knowledge of it is 2nd hand, so i'm not gonna be specific on it.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 21:43:06 by glitterboy2098 »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1419 on: 20 February 2018, 21:50:10 »
Titian Comics post some teasers on their site. I'm personally more interested in their republishing of The Forever War and Forever Free that apparently fell of the face of the earth (but that's another topic for another day)

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1420 on: 27 February 2018, 11:58:42 »
Movement!
85        answer Answer to Amended Complaint Mon 10:10 PM
ANSWER to83 Amended Complaint (Second) and Affirmative Defenses by Harebrained Holdings, Inc., Harebrained Schemes LLC, Jordan Weisman.(Corning, James)
84        answer Answer to Amended Complaint Mon 2:20 PM
ANSWER to83 Amended Complaint and Affirmative Defenses with JURY DEMAND by Piranha Games, Inc..(Meiklejohn, Paul)
Man, I can't wait to see the text of these answers.  PGI seems to be saying 'catch me outside, how bout dat' and it's interesting to see their co-defendants writing in as well.  Like I said, the easiest thing to do is let one of them make their argument and see if it works, then follow that same argument for your own clearance.  That HHI is answering could be any number of things, but I wonder if they're going to adopt a different strategy - PGI forces the jury trial, while HHI goes for a different solution, just to back HG up against the wall?

Definitely want those PDFs.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1421 on: 27 February 2018, 13:21:28 »
I will more than likely pony up for them, but probably not until tonight.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1422 on: 27 February 2018, 16:26:03 »
Deeply appreciated sir.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1423 on: 27 February 2018, 20:33:59 »
From Kevin Siembieda, "So it is with sadness and tremendous heartbreak that I announce that, despite our best efforts, we are unable to produce the Robotech® RPG Tactics Wave Two rewards. Moreover, after proudly carrying the legacy of Robotech® in the role-playing games medium for 30 years, (Palladium Books') license has expired and is not being renewed."

The timing of this seems to be a bit... conspicuous.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1424 on: 27 February 2018, 20:48:53 »
Where the hell did you find this?!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1425 on: 27 February 2018, 20:50:00 »
Where the hell did you find this?!

Someone in a different thread said it was sent out to the Kickstarter backers.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1426 on: 27 February 2018, 20:52:55 »
From Kevin Siembieda, "So it is with sadness and tremendous heartbreak that I announce that, despite our best efforts, we are unable to produce the Robotech® RPG Tactics Wave Two rewards. Moreover, after proudly carrying the legacy of Robotech® in the role-playing games medium for 30 years, (Palladium Books') license has expired and is not being renewed."

The timing of this seems to be a bit... conspicuous.

Do we dare to imagine...?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1427 on: 27 February 2018, 20:55:07 »
I posted it down in Off Topic.  I am on the Kickstarter site right now.  Huge rage there.  I feel it is some sort of cosmic convergence when HBS announced their April launch window today.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1428 on: 27 February 2018, 21:03:14 »
I posted it down in Off Topic.  I am on the Kickstarter site right now.  Huge rage there.  I feel it is some sort of cosmic convergence when HBS announced their April launch window today.

I saw, and heard from other sources as well. I re-posted in this thread as I felt if might be more then a little relevant.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1429 on: 27 February 2018, 21:06:13 »
For those interested... The link to the Kickstarter page can be found here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/2124551

Being an outsider to the whole thing without investment in the kickstarter has me filled with shadenfreud! The only way this could be better is if HG looses the court case!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1430 on: 27 February 2018, 21:10:16 »
Being an outsider to the whole thing without investment in the kickstarter has me filled with shadenfreud! The only way this could be better is if HG looses the court case!

I for one feel bad for the ones who bought into it (even if Palladium's promises had always seemed shaky at best). It wasn't their fault Catalyst got caught up in another lawsuit with a completely different foe.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 21:16:07 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1431 on: 27 February 2018, 21:10:59 »
Makes me wonder if Tatsunoko is getting blow back from Big West of the use of the images of the Macross stuff outside of HGs license which probably doesn't cover sub-licensing.

That, or palladium did something to piss off HG.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1432 on: 27 February 2018, 21:14:50 »
Makes me wonder if Tatsunoko is getting blow back from Big West of the use of the images of the Macross stuff outside of HGs license which probably doesn't cover sub-licensing.

Or, it could be just as advertised -- the license expired and HG declined to renew. It could be that given that there's only a few years that HG themselves have left to flog what remains of Robotech's carcass, that it may not have been worth it to keep the relationship going.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1433 on: 27 February 2018, 21:15:28 »

Honestly, reading the post suggests that Palladium simply couldn't afford to finish the project or find investors to help them do it.

(Though the lawsuit could also make investors gun-shy if they're canny enough to notice that Harmony Gold's rights to hand out those images is currently under question).

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1434 on: 27 February 2018, 21:23:16 »
I for one feel bad for the ones who bought into it (even if Palladium's promises had always seemed shaky at best). It wasn't their fault Catalyst got caught up in another lawsuit with a completely different foe.

Yeah. Looking at the KS page (I never backed, thankfully), the backers are about ready to get the torches and pitchforks out, and with very good reason.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1435 on: 27 February 2018, 21:25:07 »
While I tend to agree that the most likely case is HG not wanting to keep the Palladium license going, there could also be writing on the wall HG is gonna lose their trolling and cutting their losses a bit early.
There's one other link from the RRT Kickstarter I'd like to include. It's a rather frank breakdown of what the hell happened to RRT, including financials. Granted RRT is a collateral of everything going on, but its a interesting read.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1436 on: 27 February 2018, 21:38:21 »
Honestly, reading the post suggests that Palladium simply couldn't afford to finish the project or find investors to help them do it.

(Though the lawsuit could also make investors gun-shy if they're canny enough to notice that Harmony Gold's rights to hand out those images is currently under question).

HG's behavior certainly isn't going to be inspiring any confidence in potential investors.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #1437 on: 27 February 2018, 21:57:50 »
Pardon me if this is tap dancing on not relevant, but CGL might have an affirmative defense regarding not competing in each others space now that the Palladium Robotech game has officially failed to meet it's kickstarter obligations.

I mean, at BEST it is one more match on the pile of gasoline soaked garbage that is this whole mess, but it is a thing.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1438 on: 27 February 2018, 21:59:09 »
I'm still not entirely sure what are the legal details, but from a lot of the discussion in this thread and what we have understood from the legal proceedings I wonder if HG legally could not license to Palladium, full stop. The tactics game uses the 'mecha that it doesn't really have a license to make new art with at all -- something hammered home in the Tatsunoko arbitration from last year.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1439 on: 27 February 2018, 22:07:29 »
While I tend to agree that the most likely case is HG not wanting to keep the Palladium license going, there could also be writing on the wall HG is gonna lose their trolling and cutting their losses a bit early.
There's one other link from the RRT Kickstarter I'd like to include. It's a rather frank breakdown of what the hell happened to RRT, including financials. Granted RRT is a collateral of everything going on, but its a interesting read.
As someone who runs a business, reading this cost breakdown is a horror show. I feel for Palladium and hope they find success elsewhere.