Author Topic: A hex base, A hex base! My kingdom for a hex base!  (Read 4605 times)

niall78

• Master Sergeant
A hex base, A hex base! My kingdom for a hex base!
« on: 28 September 2017, 23:00:55 »
I'm currently clearing my miniature backlog. In fact I've almost cleared it. My last remaining project is three Battletech starter boxes that have unpainted miniatures.

I'll be doing one set as a Sword of Light Regiment, two as 12th Vegan Rangers - Alpha and Beta.

Now onto my issue. The miniatures themselves are OK after a bit of work with a knife, files and putty and I think they'll come out great with a decent paint job. The bases however are nasty. No problem I thought - I'll just cut the bases off and put the mini on a nice hex base which I'll then dress. This would also bring them into line with all my other battletech minis. So I spent a few days cutting the old bases off (and nearly my thumb) with a Stanley knife.

I then went onto Amazon to order my hex bases and couldn't find any. There was an IWM base pack on sale for £40 with a £30 pound shipping charge on top. Not a good price for four bases when I need seventy-two.

No problem I thought. I'll try all my usual gaming sites. One is sure to have hex bases - but they didn't. I can't find BT size hex bases anywhere in Europe. Even in the US such bases seem to be very hard to come by with eye-watering prices and mad shipping costs - if they ship to Europe at all.

Iron wind Metals themselves have the metal 4 hex base pack on their site for $6.95 not including shipping which is not practical with 72 minis to base. 

Can anyone point me to a site that produces or sells Battletech sized hex bases at a reasonable price that ship to Europe?

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: A hex base, A hex base! My kingdom for a hex base!
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2017, 23:15:12 »
I've ordered bases from Sally 4th:
http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/

Even with shipping from the UK to the US, it worked out to about 10 cents per base, which is as good as Chessex plastic bases. Also, you could try Chessex I guess :-P

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2017, 23:17:02 »
Reaper makes hex bases that compare favorably, but I have no idea about European distributors for them.

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2017, 23:26:13 »
I've ordered bases from Sally 4th:
http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/

Even with shipping from the UK to the US, it worked out to about 10 cents per base, which is as good as Chessex plastic bases. Also, you could try Chessex I guess :-P

Thanks Cranston. Will bookmark that link.

I also didn't think of Ral Partha Europe when conducting my searches. They have cheap plastic BT bases on sale as well.

Here's the link for anyone also looking for bases :  http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/battletech-c-1/miniatures-c-1_3/accessories-c-1_3_68/99125-plastic-hex-bases-10-p-1858.html

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2017, 14:01:27 »
Does anyone in the UK have the Chessex plastic hexes?  You'd get them in packs of 100.  I bought a few of a guy at LotB and am impressed with them
They maybe the best cost way to go for 72 hex bases

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2017, 14:20:57 »
I've been quite happy with Proxie Models' hex bases - I used them extensively to base my micro-machines for BattleTech cross-universe battles.  It charges $4.50 for 32 plastic hex bases sized for BattleTech hexes (30 mm)  They are U.S. based, however, and shipping to Europe is $22.50.  So your total would be $36 for 96 bases.  (http://proxiemodels.com/index.html).
« Last Edit: 24 November 2017, 14:24:23 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2017, 16:24:30 »
Been using reaper very extensively as of late too.  4.50us for a pack of 100.  I recommend then too.

I've been quite happy with Proxie Models' hex bases - I used them extensively to base my micro-machines for BattleTech cross-universe battles.  It charges $4.50 for 32 plastic hex bases sized for BattleTech hexes (30 mm)  They are U.S. based, however, and shipping to Europe is $22.50.  So your total would be $36 for 96 bases.  (http://proxiemodels.com/index.html).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2017, 16:56:21 »
The chessex bases are nearly identical to IWM's recessed(that can't be the right word) bases, but in plastic.  Outside of cons I have no idea where you'd find them.  Reaper's CAV bases are about the same size, but thinner.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2017, 17:25:21 »
Thanks Cranston. Will bookmark that link.

I also didn't think of Ral Partha Europe when conducting my searches. They have cheap plastic BT bases on sale as well.

Here's the link for anyone also looking for bases :  http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/battletech-c-1/miniatures-c-1_3/accessories-c-1_3_68/99125-plastic-hex-bases-10-p-1858.html

I usually buy a few dozen of the RPE bases at a time, and that keeps me going for a few years.  They show up on eBay as well at decent prices
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2017, 22:37:56 »
I used the Litko clear Acrylic hex bases and love them. Also reasonably affordable, but I'm not sure about international shipping.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2017, 15:15:55 »
I have been using these: http://www.litko.net/categories.php?category=Bases-%26-Base-Bottoms/Hexagons
I get them in 3mm ply.  It's laser cut and relatively cheap for 100 count.
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!