Author Topic: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread  (Read 33280 times)

scJazz

• Captain
Re: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread
« Reply #180 on: 01 December 2017, 20:46:48 »
for completeness sake... Abandoned planets have their own RAT as well.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #181 on: 02 December 2017, 03:19:20 »
Ooooh.  O0 

Thx.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #182 on: 03 December 2017, 19:43:53 »
I just discovered that a captured Behemoth Hvy Tank can be customized to carry 3 AC/20's.

Three.

And a PPC.

I. Can't. Wait.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: 03 December 2017, 21:28:06 »
So you have access to a Factory?

*Hint* try Thumper artillery :)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #184 on: 03 December 2017, 21:48:51 »
So you have access to a Factory?

Noooo...but my unit is A-rated with a veteran Mechanic so I'm... O0

Edit:

Also, AtB question. Are units working a subcontract eligible to fill spots in a Big Battle on the main contract?
« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 21:51:18 by MrJake »

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #185 on: 03 December 2017, 21:57:31 »
Noooo...but my unit is A-rated with a veteran Mechanic so I'm... O0

My unit is A-rated, I have a Veteran mechanic, I'm on Terra, and I'm on retainer with ComStar.

If all that doesn't translate into the occassional custom supertank then the universe just does not work the way I thought it did.  ;D

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #186 on: 04 December 2017, 03:58:06 »
My unit is A-rated, I have a Veteran mechanic, I'm on Terra, and I'm on retainer with ComStar.

If all that doesn't translate into the occassional custom supertank then the universe just does not work the way I thought it did.  ;D

Save up your ComStar bonus points and get the deluxe trailer mounted HPG to go with  ;D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #187 on: 05 December 2017, 15:50:57 »
Save up your ComStar bonus points and get the deluxe trailer mounted HPG to go with  ;D

The Peace of Blake be with you... whereever you go!
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #188 on: 05 December 2017, 23:06:23 »
Okay. So, it's 3030 and thru absolutely no untoward machinations, manipulations, or malfeasance-es of my own, my unit has come into possession of a technically destroyed but probably repairable 300XL (with double HS).

My option are:

1. Obey the letter of the rules, find a 50t frame (what it came out of) and have a PPC wielding, 6/9/6 moving, never, ever over-heating, King-God of the medium Meks good time.

2. I can bend the rules and upgrade either my 100t King Crab (into a dual PPC wielding, bank of MLs having, full armor and maybe JJs) for an additional 15.5 tons of goodness (all numbers approx.).

3. Or I can do the same with my Marauder , freeing up an astounding 19.5 tons (Engine and HS) worth of weapons/armor/mobility space (AC/20! JJs! Max armor! MLs!).

Suggestions?

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #189 on: 06 December 2017, 05:59:48 »
Marauder!

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 06 December 2017, 10:09:18 »
Okay. So, it's 3030 and thru absolutely no untoward machinations, manipulations, or malfeasance-es of my own, my unit has come into possession of a technically destroyed but probably repairable 300XL (with double HS).

My option are:

1. Obey the letter of the rules, find a 50t frame (what it came out of) and have a PPC wielding, 6/9/6 moving, never, ever over-heating, King-God of the medium Meks good time.

2. I can bend the rules and upgrade either my 100t King Crab (into a dual PPC wielding, bank of MLs having, full armor and maybe JJs) for an additional 15.5 tons of goodness (all numbers approx.).

3. Or I can do the same with my Marauder , freeing up an astounding 19.5 tons (Engine and HS) worth of weapons/armor/mobility space (AC/20! JJs! Max armor! MLs!).

Suggestions?

Marauder!

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #191 on: 07 December 2017, 02:29:17 »
I have a question about the glamorous topic of Maintenance Cycles. Intrigued? It gets better.

If a unit is between contracts and desirous of improving the quality of the enormous mounds of half-broken machines that have been collected during a long and arduous contract (in order to sell them at a higher margin, thus ensuring a very merry Xmas for all) is it reasonable to shorten the length of the maintenance cycle to speed improvement (degradation) i.e. more maintenace rolls?

Or is the length of the Maintenance Cycle more of a universal constant? Not to be trifled with and subject to change only at the beginning of the Universe?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: 07 December 2017, 04:11:16 »
I play this as a one time setting (maintenance cycles).  I go every 30 days so that you get, roughly, one roll per month to represent the entire month's worth of maintenance.  That one roll does not represent just when one day's maintenance check is performed, but the entire month's worth. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #193 on: 07 December 2017, 09:14:56 »
I have a question about the glamorous topic of Maintenance Cycles. Intrigued? It gets better.

If a unit is between contracts and desirous of improving the quality of the enormous mounds of half-broken machines that have been collected during a long and arduous contract (in order to sell them at a higher margin, thus ensuring a very merry Xmas for all) is it reasonable to shorten the length of the maintenance cycle to speed improvement (degradation) i.e. more maintenace rolls?

Or is the length of the Maintenance Cycle more of a universal constant? Not to be trifled with and subject to change only at the beginning of the Universe?

Universal constant... set at 1 month in AtB right now because using certain eras and some situations could reduce your Mechs to scrap during transit from one contract to another.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: 07 December 2017, 13:06:30 »
 Never ever let anything less than a Veteran Tech touch a Mech for maintenance. In one unit I have 1 Veteran tech assigned to each lance for maintenance, but I have enough regular techs to handle each Mech for combat repairs and such. Usually more than enough.

So in my unit of 190 mechs, I have 210 regular techs, 24 green techs, 16 Elite techs and 61 Veteran techs. Green techs handle ammo, armor repairs and then handle salvage operations for XP. Regular techs handle 80% of repairs, Vets back up the regular on repairs and my Elites are for when I MUST have that part fixed.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #195 on: 07 December 2017, 18:29:50 »
Thanks, all.

What is MercRoster Database, and why would I want to upload anything to it?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #196 on: 07 December 2017, 18:52:36 »
Is there any easy way to (universally) change the amount of time required to complete maintenance? Or is it a binary sort of thing?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 07 December 2017, 20:05:31 »
Is there any easy way to (universally) change the amount of time required to complete maintenance? Or is it a binary sort of thing?

So that an Assault Mech takes less than 90 minutes a day? That is hard coded based on rules that I doubt anyone would change. You can of course download the source code and make the changes yourself :) Change the duration between checks? Yeah, Repair and Acquisition tab in Campaign Options... Maintenance cycle length in days = N

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #198 on: 07 December 2017, 22:45:58 »
So that an Assault Mech takes less than 90 minutes a day?

Yeah, I'm still trying to justify a shortened Maintenance Cycle. I thought that if I could easily double the time per Mek, then I'd shorten the cycle by half and call it a day.

I suppose I could just make sure my dedicated Tech is only using half his/her allotted time each day, as a reasonable work around, but only if one accepts the premise that the maintenance cycle can be shortened in the first place.

Which, btw, I think I still do. I think that if a player came to me in a game I was running and said, "I want to set up a Refurbishment Center back behind the lines, maybe in a city on a different continent, where newly captured and repaired, but low quality, Meks can be put thru their paces. The specific goal will be to identify weak or malfunctioning components in order to improve the overall quality. To reflect this, I'll have the techs spend twice as much time on maintenance, and I want to make a Maintenance Check twice a month instead of once."

I think I'd say, "Yes."

Of course, as I type this, I realize what I'd probably say would be, "How about a bonus to the roll instead?"

To which I'd reply, to myself (don't judge me), "Because I'm running an A-rated unit with Elite technicians and three supporting tech teams (each) so every world is a factory world and every Tech has all the bonuses left to be had. We look at Meks, and they get less rusty. I don't need anymore bonuses. And, yes, that's my fault because I'm a dirty optimizer, but also yours because you insist on playing during the 3rd Succession war with Era Mods on."

"It's more of a challenge."

"Like the one where you confused Tech Rating with Quality Rating so that all the loot was F-rated and therefore next to worthless. Then you decided that you liked it that way-"

"It's 3025! It's supposed to be gritty and dark!"

"All I'm saying is don't blame me for trying to make a living. Plus, it kinda makes sense that if you dedicate more time to maintenance that you could sneak another roll in if you were trying real hard. That's all."

And, then, I'd probably roll my eyes and say, "Okay, sure, whatever."

That is hard coded based on rules that I doubt anyone would change. You can of course download the source code and make the changes yourself :)

Byte me, Code Monkey!

Change the duration between checks? Yeah, Repair and Acquisition tab in Campaign Options... Maintenance cycle length in days = N

Why is there not a children's show called Code Monkey?

« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 22:48:26 by MrJake »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 07 December 2017, 22:56:36 »
 Go to Maint setup, change the Maint check to 15 days instead of 30 days, hell you can do every day if you so desire. Gonna get expensive though.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: 07 December 2017, 23:05:28 »
 I do monthly, I can expect a C rated unit to be a best rated (depending on if you want A or F as best) in about 6 months with a Elite Tech assigned and if I change location to Maintenance Facility (if I am on a world that has one) or if I am on a factory world, I can use the refurbish option on the mech and spend the cash. 10% of purchase price though.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 08 December 2017, 10:03:13 »
Yeah, I'm still trying to justify a shortened Maintenance Cycle. I thought that if I could easily double the time per Mek, then I'd shorten the cycle by half and call it a day.

The actual canon rules call for Maintenance Checks every 7 days. AtB using 30 is a cheat actually. You do not have to justify anything. It is your campaign. You are obviously playing it in a context where the repair and maintenance problems that plague 3025 era Merc units do not exist. Go ahead and make the change.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #202 on: 08 December 2017, 18:18:11 »
No, that's not it. I want the problems to exist.

I just don't want them to affect me. :))

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #203 on: 08 December 2017, 23:30:33 »
I love GM Mode.

I'd still be playing so many other games if it were this easy to fix my mistakes/customize the process.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #204 on: 10 December 2017, 23:17:40 »
AtB Question:

Can an Infantry Unit assigned to Guard participate in more than one Defensive battle?

Edit: per week. More than one defensive battle per week.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 01:56:10 by MrJake »

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #205 on: 11 December 2017, 15:13:33 »
I'd limit it to one fight a week personally. If your mech lances can't reinforce each other most of the time, I doubt a platoon of ants would be able to help out more than one lance, either.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #206 on: 11 December 2017, 20:18:42 »
Oy! My ants are worth 17.8 MILLION CBills!

(According to the TOE in MekHQ, anyway. Actual sale price is a leeetle bit less.)

At the very least, they are gold-encrusted, diamond-dusted ants, I'll have you know.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #207 on: 14 December 2017, 00:07:18 »
Soooo....

Tried a couple of battles on Mars last nite. Or, rather, the same battle several times. Very low gravity is not the bot's friend.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #208 on: 14 December 2017, 01:23:14 »
Don't forget to jump and run next time!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #209 on: 14 December 2017, 01:37:44 »
 I configure my infantry, in my TOE with a full 4 platoons in each company. So the minimum ever deployed during a campaign mission is a full company.

Register