Author Topic: Hex Maps for Alpha Strike  (Read 7026 times)

Mackie

• Recruit
Hex Maps for Alpha Strike
« on: 15 November 2017, 09:52:38 »
(1) Can I use hex maps for Alpha Strike and what size paper do I print them out on?
I have Map Sets #1-5, Solaris VII, and Compilation I. I also have Flatlands and Hill Terrain maps as well.

(2) Is there a Battletech map generator?
I want to duplicate Map Sets #6-7 and Compilation II, or any of my own design.
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It just gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Hex Maps for Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2017, 10:21:04 »
Yes you can use hex Maps for Alpha Strike.

the scale is irrelevant, simply take all distances,ranges and similar values and divide by 2.

So a Mech with a speed of 10" can move 5 hexes.

Ranges are:

AS inches: S 6", Med 24", Long 42"
AS Hex: 3, 12 & 21
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2017, 10:21:51 »
Yes, there's a chapter in the AS rulebook on playing AS on hex maps. Starts on p110.  There's a PDF of the main tables needed for hex maps available at http://d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Alpha-Strike-Mapboard-Play.pdf?x64300

The Catalyst MapPack PDFs have instructions for how to print them, but those don't match the names you've listed, except the last two, Flatlands and Hill Terrain. Those two have three choices, depending on which paper sizes you can print to, a 18"x22", 11"x17" and 8.5"x11". The earlier map sets weren't reformatted for printing on your own, but I believe 18"x22" would be correct.

Heavy Metal Map is specifically intended for creating BattleTech maps. I've heard good things about it, though I haven't used it personally.
http://www.heavymetalpro.com/HMMap_Features.htm
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2017, 10:24:51 »
Oh, beat out nckestrel as I was looking for the AS Hex tables.

While Heavy Metal Pro does do hexes, there is a slew of other Hex/Mapping software out there.

My personal preference is Profantasy. While geared more towards Fantasy Mapping (Dungeons and Dragons) it is a CAD based software and can do quite a bit.

Mackie

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2017, 11:49:19 »
Is there a conversion table for converting Alpha Strike to Hexmaps, inches per hex? I know from the example in the Core Rulebook: "a unit that can move 14"j can therefore move up to 7 hexes on a map." If I understand this correctly, a unit that can move 12" can therefore move up to 6 hexes and so on and so forth? I excluded the "j" but the same would apply if it was 12"j?
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It just gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2017, 12:05:34 »
Is there a conversion table for converting Alpha Strike to Hexmaps, inches per hex? I know from the example in the Core Rulebook: "a unit that can move 14"j can therefore move up to 7 hexes on a map." If I understand this correctly, a unit that can move 12" can therefore move up to 6 hexes and so on and so forth? I excluded the "j" but the same would apply if it was 12"j?

http://d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Alpha-Strike-Mapboard-Play.pdf?x64300

and pages 110-113 in the ALPHA STRIKE Main Rules

As to a Table, really don't need one, as any range value in AS is imply divided by 2 for HEX PLAY

« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 12:08:08 by NeonKnight »

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2017, 13:08:11 »
And as usual, you don't pay for turning, but you do need to align to hex facings.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772