Author Topic: How does military comms net procedure work?  (Read 3297 times)

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
How does military comms net procedure work?
« on: 18 November 2017, 19:09:22 »
I know a bit about it (a very SMALL bit), but I am very much interested in seeing if someone who knows about it (or has actually used/experienced it) can give me some pointers for future reference in my games and fiction. Some discussion was had in the 'Radio callsign question' thread, but I had a bit of trouble understanding what was said, as it seemed a bit jumbled. So, in the interest of getting a clear picture (and getting an answer out there for others who might want to know), could we get a few answers telling us noobs how it all works? Extra points if you can say everything in a way that's easy to understand for someone who has only a very simple knowledge of military communications networks in general - all I'm aware of is the use of callsigns and some of the radio phrases.

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: How does military comms net procedure work?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2017, 20:00:19 »
The most important part is that you always clearly identify who you are and who you are trying to talk to.  American military radio procedures emphasize this.  Our standard is "Audience, this is Caller.  Message, over."  Like this:

"Longknife Six, this is Longknife Two.  Radio check, over."

"Longknife Two, this is Longknife Six.  I read you lima charlie, how me, over?"

"Longknife Six, this is Longknife Two.  Roger, out."

So this conversation is Longknife Two (for reference, I used to be Longknife 2D) calling Longknife Six (the unit commander) and asking for a radio check, which is basically just making sure your connection is good. L6 responds with lima charlie -- phonetic alphabet for the letters "L" and "C," in this case meaning "loud and clear" -- and then responds by asking how L2 is reading them.  L2 replies with "Roger, out:" the roger part is an affirmation that they also read L6 lima charlie, and then L2 ends the conversation with "out."  Which, as a point of etiquette, only the original caller is supposed to "out" a conversation.

Some of the most common conversations held over the radio are going to be SALUTE reports.  SALUTEs are basic, quick and easy recon reports; the acronym stands for Size, Activity, Location, Unit (the target unit, not your unit), the Time you saw the enemy, and what Equipment the enemy has.  You don't necessary have to include every line, but a possible conversation might sound something like this:

"Hammer 06, this is Rebel 16, over."

"Rebel 16, this is Hammer 06, over."

"Hammer 06, spot report to follow, over."

"Roger, Rebel 16.  Ready to copy, over."

"Hammer 06, spot report: four Bravo Mikes, advancing zero-nine-zero from grid reference Whiskey Uniform 256 900.  Lyran Guard colors.  Time approximately thirteen thirty.  Two Zeus, one Banshee, one Atlas.  How copy, over?"

"Rebel 16, this is Hammer 06.  Good copy, over."

"Roger, Hammer 06.  Rebel 16, out."

By regulation, it's a very clinical set of exchanges.  In practice, some of the etiquette gets dropped especially in high-stress situations (like when you're being shot at).  A lot of the "You, this is Me" is what gets dropped at such times.

Does that help?  Any other questions?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2017, 21:20:28 »
That certainly helps me out, yes. I have a copy of The Airsoft Bible: Book of Comm by William S. Frisbee Jr. - who apparently was a former Marine infantry squad leader (it goes over the basics of hand signals and radio communication procedure from the US armed forces in a way that's very easy to understand). I learned from that book about some of the radio-speak, and it also goes over the SALUTE sequence IIRC; however, it focuses on the squad level, and doesn't discuss the higher-level stuff. So with that in mind, I currently have two questions I'd like you to go over.

1). From what I know of callsigns, in the ground forces they don't use individual nicknames for each member of a unit like we sometimes see in fiction - instead, each group (squad, platoon, whatever) is assigned a callsign, and the individuals within each of those units receive a number or something similar (such as Rogue four, who would be the fourth member of the force using the callsign Rogue). Is this information correct?

2.) Also, how do you refer to different positions (like company commander, squad leader, etc.) on the comms net? It was discussed in the thread I mentioned in my OP, but the format got a bit jumbled in my mind and made it hard to understand - could you tell me how that works as well?

2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2017, 22:23:47 »
I find this quite funny... the same general rules applies to video game coms (like CSGO, in competitive play for Call Outs: B-Tuns! Bomb is B!). Clear, brief, to the point. Professional. ...or you can just spam Duck, Duck, Goose until your team either mutes you or Vote-Kicks you off the session.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 00:15:09 »
1). From what I know of callsigns, in the ground forces they don't use individual nicknames for each member of a unit like we sometimes see in fiction - instead, each group (squad, platoon, whatever) is assigned a callsign, and the individuals within each of those units receive a number or something similar (such as Rogue four, who would be the fourth member of the force using the callsign Rogue). Is this information correct?

Generally speaking yes.  However with ComSec always a concern on the modern battlefield, a unit may mix it up in case their communications are breached by the enemy.  In addition numbers may be added to specify the designated unit's sub-unit.  For example, 'Rogue Two-One' may refer to Rogue Squadron's second fighter group's leader.

2.) Also, how do you refer to different positions (like company commander, squad leader, etc.) on the comms net? It was discussed in the thread I mentioned in my OP, but the format got a bit jumbled in my mind and made it hard to understand - could you tell me how that works as well?

If you are serious about CommSec, then you don't.  However, I have see unit leaders being given the designation of 'Leader' (self-explanatory) or 'Actual' (I believe it is in reference to the belief that a leader represents the group he or she leads).  For example, in the Star Wars legacy universe the callsign Rogue Leader is generally associated with Wedge Antilles as he commanded it for the longest time but Luke Skywalker briefly held that title before handing command of Rogue Squadron to Antilles.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2017, 13:56:42 »
However with ComSec always a concern on the modern battlefield, a unit may mix it up in case their communications are breached by the enemy.
Yeah, I was aware of that but didn't mention it; thanks for confirming my information is correct.

When looking at your second statement, I'm assuming you mean that a lance leader would just be something like 'Red One' - or perhaps he'd be 'Red Four', just to mix things up and confuse any eavesdroppers. Is that correct, or were you thinking of something different?

Also, IIRC, the use of the term "actual" originates from the fact that many officers don't carry and operate a radio themselves; instead, they have a radio operator following them around who does it for them, and you're usually talking to him. So when you're talking to "so-and-so actual", it means your talking to the officer himself and not his radio operator.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2017, 18:08:04 »
And from my memories of years ago, it's always "Say again!", not "Repeat", when you want the other person to repeat themselves.

(Because "Repeat" is one of the few words the catastrophically deafened artillerymen can make out, and it means that they should repeat their last fire mission. Which was probably aimed at the coordinates that you are now standing on.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2017, 22:18:42 »
And from my memories of years ago, it's always "Say again!", not "Repeat", when you want the other person to repeat themselves.

(Because "Repeat" is one of the few words the catastrophically deafened artillerymen can make out, and it means that they should repeat their last fire mission. Which was probably aimed at the coordinates that you are now standing on.)

so the scene in Aliens where Sgt.Apone tells Lt.Gorman "Say again, all after incinerators" is a rare moment of actual military comm protocol for the film?

dmzline

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2017, 22:35:07 »
Yeah, I was aware of that but didn't mention it; thanks for confirming my information is correct.

When looking at your second statement, I'm assuming you mean that a lance leader would just be something like 'Red One' - or perhaps he'd be 'Red Four', just to mix things up and confuse any eavesdroppers. Is that correct, or were you thinking of something different?

Also, IIRC, the use of the term "actual" originates from the fact that many officers don't carry and operate a radio themselves; instead, they have a radio operator following them around who does it for them, and you're usually talking to him. So when you're talking to "so-and-so actual", it means your talking to the officer himself and not his radio operator.

It may go beyond even changing up the numbers: you could have a unit composed of Red 4, Coyote 6, Warrior 1, etc if you wanted to get really into comsec.  Add to that something like "hey who's that piloting the Rifleman? Is that you Bear 4?" would be a big no-no, as well as referring to rank over the radio. 

Due to the proliferation of individual comms you probably won't hear "actual" used as often.  With mechs, the unit commander would have his own individual callsign, but if he called a fire mission from a warship it is possible he would talk to "actual" for weapon release, but unlikely to need to if he were calling for tube artillery support. 

dmzline

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2017, 22:38:09 »
so the scene in Aliens where Sgt.Apone tells Lt.Gorman "Say again, all after incinerators" is a rare moment of actual military comm protocol for the film?

Except you wouldn't want to repeat what you think you heard.  The idea is brevity, so the less said the better, but it also wouldn't be completely unheard of.  Especially in tense situations a lot of the normal rules can end up flying out the window.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2017, 23:56:24 »

It can even involve messing things up more.

If memory serves, during Desert Shield, the F-15s on combat air patrol used callsigns of cars (Chevy 5, Ford 2, whatever), while the refueling tankers used names of oil companies (Texaco 3, Pennzoil 4, etc.) The Iraqis had begun to pick up on this from comm intercepts. The day Desert Storm happened, the air tasking orders flipped the callsigns -- so anyone who thought they might have a shot at picking off a tanker was going to get rudely surprised encountering an F-15 flight...

So probably the same may occur in a BattleTech scenario. Keep your recons or your CVs with one callsign in the early part of a campaign, then switch it over if you think the opposing force is listening, and set a nice little ambush.

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2017, 05:12:21 »

Al Mathews, the actor who played Apone, was a Marine. Quote: "I spent six years in the United States Marine Corps; I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant; I served with Kilo Battery, Fourth Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, of that I am very proud."
Part of the reason he got the role was because of the experience he could bring to the role.

Except you wouldn't want to repeat what you think you heard.  The idea is brevity, so the less said the better, but it also wouldn't be completely unheard of.  Especially in tense situations a lot of the normal rules can end up flying out the window.

He wasn't repeating what he thought he heard. He was requesting that Gorman repeat the part of the message he did not hear clearly. "All after incinerators" means "I copied the message clearly up until the word incinerators, just repeat the part of the message after that".

Incidentally, I love that scene. Most movies where there is a military disaster, it kinda relies on the military being daft. Like King Kong being able to take out a bunch of helicopters because they insist on flying low. Where as in Aliens, even though Gorman is perceived as pretty incompetent, the advice is pretty sound. Something happens and he gives his Sergeant the order to "lay down suppressing fire with the incinerators and fall back by squads to the APC". Which is pretty much the right call. Only an Alien takes out his Sergeant, his machine gunners are ignoring orders and firing automatic weapons in a reactor, one of the corporals has been grabbed, causing her to set fire to the trooper carrying the ammo, the resulting explosion of which takes out another trooper, and then a civvie hijacks the APC's before he can find his feet.
It's a tiny thing in a great movie but I love it. The panicking officer just out of the academy is indeed out of his depth, but he isn't over the top, melodramatic movie-panicking. He is trying to cope as he is trained, but too much is happening too quickly in a scenario that has stripped his unit of all it's advantages (aliens don't show up on IR, the unit are blundering into a lair of camouflaged predators , his troops can't use their main arms and their side arms (pistols) can't defeat Aliens armour).
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 05:29:56 by Gallowglacht »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2017, 22:55:29 »
Regards the use of "say again" and "repeat" there's a story from Bosch over in the armor thread in Off Topic; the gist was someone accidentally using the word repeat in an exercise on a channel that the artillery commander was listening to.  Arty boss suddenly chimes in "ROGER REPEAT ALL BATTERIES FIRE AT WILL" and the next few minutes were everyone in the target zone miming getting killed horribly with explosions all around.  There were, most likely...carefully given instructions on radio protocol given out after that.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2017, 00:59:09 »

American ground forces organize unit call signs at the company level; everything above company level tends to be just headquarters call signs.  For example, my first unit was Headquarters & Headquarters Troop (call sign Headhunter), 4th Squadron (call sign Longknife), 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (call sign Rifles).  So my troop/company commander (a Captain) was Headhunter 06.  We had a Colt Platoon attached to us (Colt Platoons being a bunch of artillery forward observers group together as a sort of ad hoc infantry platoon), so the Colt Platoon Leader (a First Lieutenant) was Headhunter 16.  The Troop/company First Sergeant (a First Sergeant) was Headhunter 07, while the Colt Platoon Sergeant (a Sergeant First Class) was Headhunter 17.

Meanwhile, the Squadron/battalion Commander (a Lieutenant Colonel) was Longknife 06 and the Regimental/brigade commander (a Colonel) was Rifles 06.  But there was no Longknife 16 or Rifles 16 or anything like that because those are platoon-level sub-command call signs. 

As I touched on above, the American standard is:

Element 06: Commanding Officer
Element 07: Senior Enlisted Leader
Element 01: Administrative Officer (aka S1)
Element 02: Intelligence & Security Officer (S2)
Element 03: Operations Officer (S3)
Element 04: Logistics Officer (S4)
Element 05: Executive Officer

Additional elements can be added to call sign as well.  If it's a platoon level, you simply replace the "0" with the platoon number.  So the commander of First Platoon is Element 16, the commander of Second Platoon is Element 26, ad infinitum.  The first assistant Ops Officer is Element 03A, the second assistant Ops Officer is 03B, etc.  The Ops Sergeant Major (usually a Master Sergeant at the battalion level, and a full Sergeant Major at the brigade and higher) is either Element 037 or Element 03N, depending on unit ("N" standing for Non Commissioned Officer).

As a member of the S2 for the Longknife and Saber elements, my personal call signs throughout my career were Longknife 02D ("D" for driver, the low man on the totem pole), Saber 02G ("G" for gunner, as a junior NCO), and Saber 02N.

However, these rules are specifically for the unit's internal comms.  Aircraft in particular are assigned completely different sets of call signs, called ATC call signs (ATC = Air Traffic Control).  These are used when aircraft are entering or departing an airfield and used when transiting through another unit's airspace, or for coordinating at high levels (ie, division or corps level).  ATC call signs are not assigned to individual pilots, though how they're assigned changes depending on the unit.  At one point, we assigned them to specific aircraft (so that, for example, aircraft tail number 001 would always be Crash 22) and at another they were assigned to specific mission windows (so that, for example, the third flight of the day would always be Crash 22 regardless of which pilots or aircraft were in the air).  So in another post, someone mentioned that aircraft swapped Chevy and Ford call signs?  Those were probably ATC call signs.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 17:07:44 by The Eagle »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2017, 01:17:41 »
Al Mathews, the actor who played Apone, was a Marine. Quote: "I spent six years in the United States Marine Corps; I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant; I served with Kilo Battery, Fourth Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, of that I am very proud."
Part of the reason he got the role was because of the experience he could bring to the role.

He wasn't repeating what he thought he heard. He was requesting that Gorman repeat the part of the message he did not hear clearly. "All after incinerators" means "I copied the message clearly up until the word incinerators, just repeat the part of the message after that".

Incidentally, I love that scene. Most movies where there is a military disaster, it kinda relies on the military being daft. Like King Kong being able to take out a bunch of helicopters because they insist on flying low. Where as in Aliens, even though Gorman is perceived as pretty incompetent, the advice is pretty sound. Something happens and he gives his Sergeant the order to "lay down suppressing fire with the incinerators and fall back by squads to the APC". Which is pretty much the right call. Only an Alien takes out his Sergeant, his machine gunners are ignoring orders and firing automatic weapons in a reactor, one of the corporals has been grabbed, causing her to set fire to the trooper carrying the ammo, the resulting explosion of which takes out another trooper, and then a civvie hijacks the APC's before he can find his feet.
It's a tiny thing in a great movie but I love it. The panicking officer just out of the academy is indeed out of his depth, but he isn't over the top, melodramatic movie-panicking. He is trying to cope as he is trained, but too much is happening too quickly in a scenario that has stripped his unit of all it's advantages (aliens don't show up on IR, the unit are blundering into a lair of camouflaged predators , his troops can't use their main arms and their side arms (pistols) can't defeat Aliens armour).

IMO that sequence also illustrates an issue i suspect is also important in military comms (mindyou, i'm just a historian, not military)
remember delegation of command. Lt. Gorman was micromanaging the platoon, instead of letting Sgt.Apone make calls on the field based on the Lt's overall instructions. like the order to collect ammo.. if he'd told Apone to inform the unit that "if you shoot in there we'll all die" instead of mandating the collection of the ammo, the battle would not have gone bad as fast.. and the fact that Apone was distracted trying to parse Gorman's detailed instructions over the noise and interference got him killed, when Gorman could have just told him "pull back" and trust Apone to arrange cover fire to make it possible.

so orders need to be kept as short and simple as possible, and the finer details left to the commanders on the spot whenever possible.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2017, 01:37:33 »
Lt. Gorman was micromanaging the platoon
Which in fairness to Gorman, was what the entire system was meant to do.  Look at all the video camera feeds, medical telemetry, and so on, all to give what's basically a squad leader total visual and audio control.  There's no trusting judgement, it's just 'go forth my sentries and I will tell you what to do.'

And yeah, squad leader; there were a total of eight marines that deployed into the Bug House.  Apone, Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, Drake, Frost, Dietrich, and Wierzbowski.  Two of those deployed are even noncoms each leading their own four-man fire team (at least they gave one MG to each team). 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2017, 02:12:14 »
well by dialog in their entry into and sweep of the colony, there are at least 2 squads involved. i guess they are using a very exotic organizational size.

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 04:09:46 »
I feel like we could debate that one scene alone for days, but I'll contain myself. It would get off topic and to be honest, the veterans sharing life experiences are more valuable and on point.

If anyone is interested in the colonial marines doctrine, tactics and equipment though, I highly recommend the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual by Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. It does into it in some depth, with an "in universe" tone, and details how the Colonial Marines are mid way through a comprehensive organisational and doctrinal change, that not all the marines quoted are fully on board with. The fact that not everyone agrees with the new direction, and that it is taking time for training and equipment to come online, in a future where the US can no longer afford to support it's military to the same extent as today, all lend an enhanced sense of realism to the solid basis the movie provided. It's awesome.
But it's not battletech, so I'll stop selling it now :)

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 13:13:41 »
If anyone is interested in the colonial marines doctrine, tactics and equipment though, I highly recommend the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual by Lee Brimmicombe-Wood.
Y'know, I picked this book up not long ago in near mint condition for like three or four dollars  8) - it's a great book. But like you said, it's not Battletech, so let's move on.

All your replies have been great, and they've really enlightened me on how to handle military comms in my units more effectively. So thanks for all the great information!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2017, 07:02:47 »
Two final notes.  One, is that more experienced units will frequently have code phrases that tell the unit's officers and men pre-arranged orders.  For example, Wolf Dragoons' usage of the codephrase "Condition Feral" provided clear orders without having to actually state them.

Two, the term "Actual" is used to discuss the unit leader when he or she is unable to access/use communications equipment.  For example, I believe Brian Cameron uses it to tell the Dragoons that Jamie Wolf is dead right before he orders "Condition Feral" (and possibly to help justify/make the unit understand why he is ordering it).
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

smcwatt

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2017, 09:24:08 »
Just be aware that nations other than the US have different sig procedures. For example, the key to call signs in Canada is that the brigade HQ & Sigs assign call signs in blocks to the units, and the units assign call signs based on the type of unit they are in. For example, as a rule of thumb 9, 9A etc... are reserved for RHQ, 0 series are CPs, 1 through 5 are usually companies/squadrons/batteries, 8 are support services. A prefix letter allows you to tell units apart, and a second number and a suffix letter drills down to the sub-sub unit level.

For example: G45B. Golf is the letter assigned to an artillery regiment (battalion for American). 4 is the fourth battery, and 5 signifies a gun. Bravo is the second gun in the battery.

SMc.

smcwatt

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2017, 09:30:08 »
Also, as "Repeat" is a pro word for an executive fire command, most Arty Signallers will verify the request if it does not come from a unit engaged in a fire mission. No one is going to "repeat" if some random dude just puts it out there on the net. As well, arty Sigs will not acknowledge other messages during a mission, and will pawn it off on the admin net.

SMc.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2017, 19:52:58 »
I forgot to talk about special call signs, too, ones that are not necessarily linked to a specific number (ie, 6=commander).  In this case, three immediately come to mind.  In my units, we had three special call signs at the battalion level.  The first, Squelch, was the call sign for Staff Section 6, aka S6 or the commo shop (specifically, Saber Squelch referred to the Signal Officer).  X-ray was the call sign for the squadron tactical operations center (TOC), so most of the traffic intended for the squadron commander went through Saber X-ray instead of going direct to, say, Saber 06 or Saber 03.  And then there was Saber Red Leg.  Red Leg is a reference to the red stripes that used to decorate US Army artillerymen's uniforms; ergo, Saber Red Leg was our fires officer. . . who to be honest, mostly just worked as a battle captain (the officer running the TOC in the absence of the commander, S3, or XO).