Author Topic: What to see in Japan in mid January?  (Read 2393 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
What to see in Japan in mid January?
« on: 19 November 2017, 09:37:38 »
We're thinking of taking a trip to Japan in mid-January/mid-February--this is the Chinese New Year break.  Both my older daughter and I are on Chinese scholastic schedules, so that's really the only time we have before summer and we know we're definitely not going for pleasant weather at that time of year.

So, anybody who's been there before...if we only have 7-10 days tops, what are the things we MUST see?  Especially things that would be of interest to an anime-happy nine year-old?  (Any outdoor theme parks aren't likely to be open then)  I figure Tokyo by itself should merit 3 or 4 days.

All suggestions welcome.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What to see in Japan in mid January?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2017, 11:31:43 »
You heading north at all?  An onsen in the dead of winter is like nothing else.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2017, 12:44:49 »
I love Tokyo in February, it's my favorite time to go! Airfare is cheap and the weather is typically only cold enough that you can walk around comfortably with only a jacket and hat!

If you like mecha and your son likes anime, the life-size Unicorn Gundam in Odaiba is worth seeing, and Odaiba's a very pleasant water-front, great mall, ferris wheel and tons of restaurants. There's also an indoor virtual theme-park there called Joypolis, which you might enjoy.

Akihabara in Tokyo is basically the mecca of anime. While there are a number of places there you definitely wouldn't want to take your child, Sega & Taito both have some astounding several story arcades there which are really something to see and have something for everybody!

I highly recommend taking a walk at the imperial palace grounds and visiting a temple like Asakusa's Sensoji or Meiji-jingu in Yoyogi park - Japan is practically lousy with history & shrines, and it can be an amazing experience simply taking a walk and seeing what you run into!

What other parts of Japan do you plan to be in?
« Last Edit: 19 November 2017, 12:51:16 by MadCapellan »

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2017, 17:58:47 »
We're thinking of taking a trip to Japan in mid-January/mid-February--this is the Chinese New Year break.  Both my older daughter and I are on Chinese scholastic schedules, so that's really the only time we have before summer and we know we're definitely not going for pleasant weather at that time of year.

So, anybody who's been there before...if we only have 7-10 days tops, what are the things we MUST see?  Especially things that would be of interest to an anime-happy nine year-old?  (Any outdoor theme parks aren't likely to be open then)  I figure Tokyo by itself should merit 3 or 4 days.

All suggestions welcome.

cheers,

Gabe

If you are into Battleships you can visit Yokosuka (45 minutes in train from downtown) and the Mikasa museum, the only surviving pre-dreadnought. Also, the city is renowned for its curry.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2017, 19:41:49 »
If you are into Battleships you can visit Yokosuka (45 minutes in train from downtown) and the Mikasa museum, the only surviving pre-dreadnought. Also, the city is renowner curry.
I can concure. I was in the service barely 20 and totally clues about Japan. I randomly found the Mikasa in a pleasant park not too far from the base. Yoksuka had fairly small but foreign friendly downtown.  Yokohama has nice nautical museum.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kharim

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2017, 08:36:19 »
Hello

I am also planning a trip to Japan in mid-February :) Any particular onsen You would recommend? And how about food places in Tokio?

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2017, 14:55:53 »
Hello

I am also planning a trip to Japan in mid-February :) Any particular onsen You would recommend? And how about food places in Tokio?

There's this Ryokan/onsen if you want to go really old School:

http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/oldest-hotel-keiunkan/

It was opened in 705 AD and it is near Mount Fuji.

Edit. Changed BC to AD. Thanks Ruger
« Last Edit: 20 November 2017, 17:36:59 by God and Davion »
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2017, 16:29:49 »
There's this Ryokan/onsen if you want to go really old School:

http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/oldest-hotel-keiunkan/

It was opened in 705 BC and it is near Mount Fuji.

Your about 1400 years early on that opening date per the article...705 AD, not BC...and at $439 per night, that's a bit more than I'd want to spend on a hotel/hot spring...but it would be interesting to visit if one had the cash...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2017, 03:43:45 »
If you have any interest in aquariums, Japan is famous for some of the ones it has, particular the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium (the third largest aquarium in the world after the the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta and the Marine Life Park in Singapore) and the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan, though I don't know if you're going to visit either of those islands.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2017, 13:51:34 »
So, is it okay for someone who hasn't been to Japan to offer any suggestions?

Perhaps one option could be to visit the island of Kyushu.

The city of Fukuoka sits along Hakata Bay, where the key battles of the Mongol invasions of Japan in 1274 and 1281 took place. I believe that there is a small museum in the city which covers these events. Further inland, the Kyushu National Museum at Dazaifu reportedly takes a broader look at Japan's pre-modern interactions with China and Korea. Plus, there are ferries which head across to Busan in South Korea, if you wanted to take a side trip there.

Nagasaki may be most (in)famous for what happened there on the 9th of August 1945, but its heritage as a link to the outside world is reflected in sites like Dejima (which once hosted representatives of the Dutch East India Company) and in Japan's oldest Chinatown (which happens to hold a Lantern Festival for Chinese New Year). Plus, there is a Dutch-styled theme park, Huis ten Bosch, in Sasebo.

Further south, Kagoshima prefecture includes the city of Kagoshima itself (the former seat of the Shimazu samurai clan), Sakurajima (an active volcano which simmers across the bay from the city proper), and Tanegashima (where the first Europeans - and European firearms - landed in Japan in 1543, and where JAXA's main spaceport is located).

There is a shinkansen route running from north to south, as well as a number of "heritage" trains across the island.

Beyond Kyushu, the island of Okinawa hosts Shuri Castle, the former royal residence of the Ryukyu Kingdom, as well as other sites dating to that era. (The Shureimon, one of the gates leading up to the castle, is on the front of the 2000 yen note - which is reportedly rare in "mainland" Japan, but more common in Okinawa Prefecture). I'm not sure if there are any ceremonies of note in Okinawa to mark the lunar New Year, though.

On the other end of the country, Hokkaido has a number of sites for the indigenous Ainu peoples, not least the Poroto Kotan at Shiraoi. The "Wajin" presence on the island is reflected in places like Matsumae Castle (the only "traditional-style" Japanese castle on Hokkaido), Goryokaku (the "star fort" built at Hakodate which featured during the Boshin War which heralded the Meiji Restoration), and the city of Sapporo (which was established to be the prefectural capital during the Meiji era).
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 14:08:57 by Nerroth »

Kharim

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2017, 05:51:47 »
Thanks for your help! I managed to plan the whole trip and looking forward to it :)

Register