Author Topic: Clan Infantry Kit and the Sea Foxes  (Read 3380 times)

Terrace

• Lieutenant
Clan Infantry Kit and the Sea Foxes
« on: 22 November 2017, 00:22:58 »
Given their reputation as the merchants who'll sell to anyone, what are the odds that they sell Clan-grade infantry gear to mercenaries or the Great Houses? We already have plenty of examples in canon of all the other stuff they sell (Mechs, Vehicles, etc.), but what about the poor bloody infantry? If they aren't tapping that market, they should!

Because let's be honest, the average Inner Sphere infantry is guaranteed to use that gear to much greater effect than Solahma Suicide Squad #356982-47

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Clan Infantry Kit and the Sea Foxes
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2017, 07:32:41 »
Well, if they're willing to sell BattleMechs and Combat Vehicles, there's no reason for them to not sell Infantry Kits as well. That's if they can manufacture enough of them of course. One of the big problems would be cost I'd think. Its quite a step up in cost compared to alot of other infantry kits (though admittedly when compared to BattleMechs an individual kit could almost be a rounding error).

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 09:04:50 »
Makes sense to me that they would. After all, at the end of the day unarmored infantry are basically cannon fodder and security forces in the Clans, and so there's only so much one can expect to do in terms of sales. The Houses provide a whole new market to sell to- and one that looks to be a massive expansion from what one expects would be pretty anemic sales to other Clans.

If they're willing to sell combat vehicles and even Battlemechs like the Mad Cat Mk.II to the Inner Sphere, I can't see why crates of Mauser IICs wouldn't be just as welcome- both to the client and to the Foxes. Step up production and see who wants to make their infantry the best-equipped out there!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2017, 09:07:17 »
Yeah, when you put it like that, they were probably shocked at the profit they made the first time they made such a sale. And then shocked again when they realized how big the demand was.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 09:25:14 »
I suspect the major obstacle would be supply. The size of IS infantry forces compared to Clan production of Mauser IICs. But I'd certainly see them being sold for special forces.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2017, 09:36:34 »
Personally, I would think they would...but I wish that they (or Hell's Horses) would create an upgraded version of the gauss submachine gun...make in a Mauser IIC (Gauss) with a gauss assault rifle combined with an under-mounted compact grenade launcher...  >:D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 12:43:19 »
I suspect the major obstacle would be supply. The size of IS infantry forces compared to Clan production of Mauser IICs. But I'd certainly see them being sold for special forces.

Yeah, that was another problem I considered. Trying to equip a couple of Trinaries is definitely different than trying to equip the infantry contingents of multiple regiments.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2017, 22:29:18 »
Did someone just wonder about my Mauser IIC equipped Toads?

TT  >:D

( Just add it to your House's / Mercs AP port... )
« Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 22:31:06 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2017, 01:18:34 »
Always fun, especially since they made them able to use them. Though for the life of me I can't figure out where the rules are for calculating the damage of the AP mounts. I know under default TW rules you use the Rifle column, but how do you do it when you put a specific weapon on the mount? Do you just use the conventional infantry rules to create a "Platoon" of 5 guys so you know how much damage is done?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2017, 06:42:31 »

I suspect the size of an IS infantryman compared to a Clan infantryman is more of an issue. A Mauser IIC is Encumbering. I strongly doubt the Mauser is general issue even in most Clans.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2017, 11:41:47 »
So, if you're outfitting, say, a battalion of infantry for your combined-arms regiment, do you figure the Sea Foxes would only have enough infantry weapons on hand to outfit a company at a time? And what guarantee would you have that you'd get the same kind of rifle each time?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2017, 14:37:26 »
Most likely they'll have a few Points worth available for trade/sell on hand. The rest as needed, unless you wanted them as a group purchase. Like throwing them in as freebies when you order that Omni without the pods.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2017, 00:00:03 »
Most likely they'll have a few Points worth available for trade/sell on hand. The rest as needed, unless you wanted them as a group purchase. Like throwing them in as freebies when you order that Omni without the pods.

TT

Since I feel like doing the math, let's figure that out.

A few points = let's assume 2-3 Points' worth of rifles. Given how many people there are in a Clan Infantry Point, that works out to 50-75 rifles. Assume the local Sea Fox group only carries in Point-sized lots for logistical purposes, so it will be 50 or 75, with no in-between.

Average IS Foot Infantry Company is 3 Platoons. SLDF Standard is 4 7-man squads per Platoon for 28 soldiers, figure 84 soldiers in a Company, which means it wouldn't be enough. Adding a single support weapon to each squad, however, would lower the number to 72, which would leave you with three spares in the maximum case. Two support weapons in each squad would reduce your requirements to 60 rifles. You could still end up short if they're only carrying two Points worth.

IS Jump Infantry Platoon deletes a single squad for 21 men. A company would thus be 63 soldiers. A single support weapon per squad would leave your requirements at 54 rifles, which brings us within sight of the lower limit of the range. Go for two support weapons, and you only need 45 rifles, which would give you five spares at the minimum (not recommended, since that reduces your jump capability).

Now, if they're carrying four Points' worth (100), or even enough for an entire Star (125), then the messing around with support weapons to ensure you have enough for every soldier who needs one would be pointless, but you'd have a comfortable reserve on hand to replace broken/lost rifles. If they only have enough for a single Point (25), then you could equip a Platoon with a single support weapon in each squad.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 17:32:02 by Terrace »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2017, 16:58:39 »
Nerd...

O0

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2018, 18:37:09 »
... but what about the poor bloody infantry?

If we are talking about conventional small-arms infantry I don't think it would be a priority for House militaries. The average AFFS grunt isn't going to be significantly more effective because he was issued a Clan Sea Fox "M16 IIC" as opposed to his standard rifle. I would imagine the benefits would not be worth the cost.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2018, 19:45:13 »
It's a buyers market right now. The Inner Sphere Economy is wrecked though. But basically. Everybody is going to catch up to clan tech. it'll be the new normal...

So right now they should just sell as much as they can to everyone that isn't leaning on them. (The Capellan Confederation.)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2018, 10:58:46 »
I'd expect them to be more willing to sell Clan-Spec infantry gear, and it could likely go with a proportionately higher mark-up too.

The thing with infantry weapons in BT is that most are so heavy that realistically that would reduce the draw of monsters like the Mauser IIC. But if you consider thayt those beasts can hurt mechs, even a little, that can be worth it to some.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman