Author Topic: Missed Connection?  (Read 5414 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Missed Connection?
« on: 13 December 2017, 21:31:09 »
Well, while the Wolverine/WoB/Blood Conspiracy has been beaten to death (basically that the Wolverines fled, ran into ComStar, who harbored them, only to have the Wolverine remnants become sort of a hidden power inside ComStar and the force behind the Hidden), there seems to be a connection often either overlooked or forgotten about.

Well. Maybe not a connection, but one of those interesting little tidbits that is either another bit of the conspiracy, or just a coincidence. However, it seems like it rarely gets mentioned when people bring up the veracity of the Wolverine/WoB/Blood connection.

One of the WoB's secrets was that they were behind/closely linked to the Vicore company on Demeter. The one that was run by a CEO named Giovanni Estrella De la Sangre. Or, as far as I can tell, "Giovanni Estrella of the Blood."

Mind you, some of the early write ups state that his name is Sanger, and he just changed it presumably to make it sound better, but I figured I'd comment on it, since I never seem to see this point when the conspiracy is questioned.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Missed Connection?
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2017, 23:40:45 »
Wait. You just got that?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2017, 00:30:22 »
Not exactly. I recognized the name and the translation. I've just never seen it pop up when someone starts talking about WoB/Wolverine/Blood connections, so I figured I'd mention it.

If someone asks about the connections, you'll often hear about how there's a passage in Jihad secrets about it, but unproven, Blake's Sword, etc. But you, or atleast I don't recall, and a search didn't seem to find any, hear someone say "Oh yeah, and the owner of their secret Mech factory has Blood in his name."

So I though I'd mention it.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2017, 09:00:18 »
Thanks for reading material for the next week ;)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2017, 10:54:56 »
You forgot part of his name. Estrealla which means Star. So hi nam is really Giovanni Star of the Blood (or Star Blood or Bloodstar)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2017, 11:57:38 »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2017, 12:34:36 »
Uh, so, what's the connection?
Being slow here. Slow day.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2017, 13:03:49 »
Uh, so, what's the connection?
Being slow here. Slow day.

The Wolverine/Blakie cabal calls itself the Blood.  And de la Sangre literally means "of the Blood".

It's likes a British spy creating a cover for himself with the name "James Bond".
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2017, 13:23:24 »
I see.
Hmm.
Does de la Sangre come from the Blood or does the Blood come from de la Sangre though? Like, suppose the de la Sangre is egoistical enough to form a cabal and name it after himself, sorta.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2017, 18:20:28 »
Ex clanners aren’t known for hiding well.  Natasha didn’t hesitate to flaunt her Kerensky blood name.   The descendants of Trish Ebon (last Watch director of Clan Wolverine) seem to have named the MoC’s Ebon Directorate in her honor.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2017, 19:07:02 »
On the other hand, these are descendants of ex-Clanners who have had hundreds of years to get used to hiding.

I take it Trish Ebon being in charge of the Wolverine's Watch is  stated someplace? Though I'm pretty sure there's no proof of the connection between Trish Ebon and the Ebon Magistrate other than the name.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2017, 19:38:15 »
"Betrayal of Ideals" features Trish Ebon as a major Wolverine character.  There's also an Iron Writer story by Randall Bills that pretty much confirms that the Magistracy of Canopus was secretly trading for tech with people with Clan mannerisms, which, given the intro to "Interstellar Expeditions," pretty much had to be the Minnesota Tribe - of which Trish was a member.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2017, 19:52:39 »
Wait, are you saying Wolverine-Minnesota Tribe-ComStar-The Blood-Word of Blake connection is basically true? Though with the twist Wolverines ended up scattered rather than concentrated in one place.

EDIT Actually, you're more or less saying the latter, not necessarily the former... But if the latter happened, the former is very plausible?
« Last Edit: 14 December 2017, 19:54:58 by Empyrus »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2017, 19:54:32 »
Well, apart from the Comstar part.  Apparently the Wolversotans ended up down in the Magistracy, rather than anywhere else.  It's also the likely origin of all those Dictator dropships.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2017, 20:31:44 »
Along these lines lately I've been thinking Stone might hail from the Clans. We know that the WoB was keeping Clan prisoners in camps like the one Stone came from, so as a simple out-there origin story it's not that bad, but the way the Paladins elect the Exarch does bear a striking similarity to the Clan Warrior Councils that elect the Khans.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2017, 20:41:09 »
Wait, are you saying Wolverine-Minnesota Tribe-ComStar-The Blood-Word of Blake connection is basically true? Though with the twist Wolverines ended up scattered rather than concentrated in one place.

EDIT Actually, you're more or less saying the latter, not necessarily the former... But if the latter happened, the former is very plausible?

My theory, which fits what we know from various sources is that:

Wolverines fled along Exodus Road.  Stopped for supplies.  Split into four groups - main body, and three picket fleets.  Clan fleet hit main body and killed most.  Zughoffer Weir and two other ships fled, with Steel Vipers in pursuit.  Documents suggest ComStar encountered Kerensky Exodus fleet members in the Deep Periphery and brought them back to Terra/Mars.  Supported by the fact that the Zughoffer Weir later appeared in the WoB Jihad-era armada. 

Two picket fleets survived and linked up with late-arriving Wolverine sibcadets, became the Minnesota Tribe, and then worked their way around the Inner Sphere clockwise to the vicinity of the Magistracy of Canopus.  Traded with the Magistracy - becoming their "secret source of resources from beyond the Periphery".  Third picket fleet never seen again - outside chance they struck out on their own and became the Umayyads.  Equally good chance they settled closer, because someone keeps coming back to the massacre site and putting flowers on the graves.

During the Jihad, the Word of Blake paid special attention to the Magistracy, and there was a shadow war there between the Manei Domini borgs and the Ebon Directorate borgs.  Magistracy of Canopus went from having to write military manuals at a fifth grade level (with plans to revise downwards) to having elite super-cyborg commando agents pretty quick.  One explanation is - when Minnesotans abandoned their baseworld, they found a home in the Magistracy, and paid for their entry visas with advanced tech to create the Ebon Directorate.  Thus, the Jihad theater in the Magistracy was (for some reason) a grudge match between the descendants of the Zughoffer Weir crew and the descendants of the Minnesota Tribe. 

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2017, 20:46:10 »
Are the Iron Writer stories canon, or just something thrown together?

And similar names as red herrings are a common schtick (see McEvedy's Folly).

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2017, 00:41:54 »
They're not canon.
But what Mendrugo wrote above is completely based in canonical publications.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2017, 05:57:56 »

And similar names as red herrings are a common schtick (see McEvedy's Folly).

Iron Writer stories are explicitly non-canon because they were written in one hour at GenCon with no fact checking.  That being said, the secret tech trade story doesn’t contradict established canon, and offers us at the very least a glimpse into Randall’s ‘head canon,’ as it were.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2017, 13:59:43 »
Sure, or he just modified the ISP story where its the Magistracy and the Genecaste (or it was on his mind, etc). Plus doing some searching, you mentioned that its an Ebon Magistrate and a Clanner in the story, with no time given. However, the EM have only been around since about the 3060's, give or take,so it would be a modern story, rather than something that showed a connection to the Wolverine/Clans before the Clans showed up. We know that the Magistracy had been trying to get samples of Clantech, just like everyone else, so it wouldn't be that surprising that they'd try to do so as well. If they were trying to lower their reliance on the CapCon, its not surprising that any attempt to get the technology would be considered a serious secret, and thus the EM being used.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that there's lots of gaps that aren't proven yet.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 15 December 2017, 17:08:31 »
The Magistracy probably got Clan salvage from Operation Bulldog. There was a Magistracy unit in the operation after all.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2017, 21:37:28 »
@Mendrugo, I haven't paid enough attention to the Jihad stuff to notice all of that. Looks as though I will be going through all those books for details.

Makes me wonder what could have been if there hadn't been such issues between the writers post-Jihad. So much has been in flux with so much changing, who knows what the story would be. The presence of a Wolverine contingent in the WoB/ComStar also explains the Green Ghosts and their protection of Wolverine sites in ISP3 based on the tech they fielded.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 15 December 2017, 22:53:16 »
My theory, which fits what we know from various sources is that:

Wolverines fled along Exodus Road.  Stopped for supplies.  Split into four groups - main body, and three picket fleets.  Clan fleet hit main body and killed most.  Zughoffer Weir and two other ships fled, with Steel Vipers in pursuit.  Documents suggest ComStar encountered Kerensky Exodus fleet members in the Deep Periphery and brought them back to Terra/Mars.  Supported by the fact that the Zughoffer Weir later appeared in the WoB Jihad-era armada. 

Two picket fleets survived and linked up with late-arriving Wolverine sibcadets, became the Minnesota Tribe, and then worked their way around the Inner Sphere clockwise to the vicinity of the Magistracy of Canopus.  Traded with the Magistracy - becoming their "secret source of resources from beyond the Periphery".  Third picket fleet never seen again - outside chance they struck out on their own and became the Umayyads.  Equally good chance they settled closer, because someone keeps coming back to the massacre site and putting flowers on the graves.

During the Jihad, the Word of Blake paid special attention to the Magistracy, and there was a shadow war there between the Manei Domini borgs and the Ebon Directorate borgs.  Magistracy of Canopus went from having to write military manuals at a fifth grade level (with plans to revise downwards) to having elite super-cyborg commando agents pretty quick.  One explanation is - when Minnesotans abandoned their baseworld, they found a home in the Magistracy, and paid for their entry visas with advanced tech to create the Ebon Directorate.  Thus, the Jihad theater in the Magistracy was (for some reason) a grudge match between the descendants of the Zughoffer Weir crew and the descendants of the Minnesota Tribe.

Honestly I wonder if another splinter is that bandit unit that merged with a DCMS Chain Gang unit to form the Harloc Raiders. 2825 (Same year as Minnesota Tribe), used old SLDF hardware and challenged the eventual founder of the Raiders to a one on one duel for leadership of their combined unit.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 16 December 2017, 05:35:59 »
Honestly I wonder if another splinter is that bandit unit that merged with a DCMS Chain Gang unit to form the Harloc Raiders. 2825 (Same year as Minnesota Tribe), used old SLDF hardware and challenged the eventual founder of the Raiders to a one on one duel for leadership of their combined unit.
You mean Harlock's Warriors (named after Sven Harlock, their 2825 chain gang leader), not the Harloc Raiders (named after the CC world of Harloc).
But yes, good catch. I had missed that one before.
Then again, the evidence is not conclusive. Ritualized combat including duels isn't Clan-exclusive at all. It has been around since basically forever, in BattleTech it was a big thing ever since the Gunslingers/Ronin, there was this general hype around MechWarriors as knight-errants, and when you look at it closely the Inner Sphere combat style of the late Succession Wars era is its own form of zellbrigen really, with the average commander so scared of breaking something lostech or losing his machine that battles were described as sometimes mere deployment and maneuvering exercises with the loser conceding the field without a shot fired.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2018, 08:43:03 »
I probably missed the answer to this, but how do the Green Ghosts factor into this if at all?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2018, 10:23:01 »
We don't know if they do. They're a strange Jihad era boogeyman faction with almost nothing known about them really - which in and of itself kinda sorta puts them into the Wolverine/Blood/Word of Blake mystery context.

A few things about the Green Ghosts raised some flags. They basically tend to show up at old Star League-era dig sites (or even sites merely supposed to be that, and later turning out as false positives), shoot everyone, destroy the site, steal the artifacts, and behave strangely on top of that.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2018, 12:33:35 »
We don't know if they do. They're a strange Jihad era boogeyman faction with almost nothing known about them really - which in and of itself kinda sorta puts them into the Wolverine/Blood/Word of Blake mystery context.

A few things about the Green Ghosts raised some flags. They basically tend to show up at old Star League-era dig sites (or even sites merely supposed to be that, and later turning out as false positives), shoot everyone, destroy the site, steal the artifacts, and behave strangely on top of that.

I don't think the Green Ghosts were a single unite, but several using similar colors. I figure one groups was Goliath Scorpion Seekers, one group was Star Adders, and another was WOB.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2018, 14:30:17 »

Actually, it might date back later than that. The FM:Lyran Alliance has the 9th Lyran Regulars "focusing their energies on hunting down a group of Periphery pirates that have been hitting world after world, but by all accounts only taking historical and archaeological records and items."

It might not have been as fleshed out back then, but the references aren't just Jihad/post-FASA civil War.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2018, 14:56:52 »
Actually, it might date back later than that. The FM:Lyran Alliance has the 9th Lyran Regulars "focusing their energies on hunting down a group of Periphery pirates that have been hitting world after world, but by all accounts only taking historical and archaeological records and items."

It might not have been as fleshed out back then, but the references aren't just Jihad/post-FASA civil War.

There are actually quite a few little hooks like that scattered all over the last few FASA books. Considering that FASA usually plotted out all the big plot points some years in advance (or so I remember someone saying in an interview), it's pretty clear that they planned for some sort of throwdown between ComStar and the Word of Blake to be the next big event after the FCCW wound down.

Would be really curious to hear how much of the Jihad we saw lined up with what FASA had been planning...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2018, 17:25:56 »
Would be really curious to hear how much of the Jihad we saw lined up with what FASA had been planning...
The first Jihad sourcebook actually answers that:
It was far, far smaller than what it ended up being.