Author Topic: Embers of War (no spoilers)  (Read 9122 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Embers of War (no spoilers)
« on: 03 March 2016, 09:50:39 »
I'm still in the process of reading Jason Schmetzer's novel "Embers of War," and I'm really enjoying it.  It's been a long time since we had new novel-length fiction, but the wait has allowed period pieces like this one (set on the eve of the Jihad in 3067) to weave in elements about the Word of Blake that were still unrevealed when the other 3067-era novel, Endgame, hit the bookshelves. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

abou

• Captain
Re: Embers of War (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2016, 12:06:27 »
I'm flying out to Vegas for the Western Veterinary Conference on Sunday. I intend to grab it and read it on the flight. I am excited to read some good pulp again since it has been a while.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2016, 20:28:15 »
Just finished it.  Loved it.  I highly recommend this book. WoB villainy but smart villainy.   The characters act believably within logical constraints and decision making processes.

Leave a review at the purchase site!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2016, 21:13:40 »
Leave a review at the purchase site!

+1,000 times this--especially if that place is Amazon.  8)

And I'm glad you enjoyed the book!
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2016, 21:45:15 »
Looks good, but wish there was a print on demand sale option.  No kindle here, and wary of installing the app on my phone.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2016, 21:56:27 »

+1,000 times this--especially if that place is Amazon.  8)

And I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Did & looking forward to more.  Have to check to see if it posted. 
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2016, 11:47:04 »
Dammit Schmetzer, I want more!  Stayed up too late last night finishing it.  Very good read.
CDT Agent #319

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2016, 07:10:05 »
Well. I posted here but it seems my browser or internet connection ate the post.

Finished the book. Pretty good, far better than i expected, better than most of previous BT novels i've read (quite many, and there are only few i like really or think as good).
Not a fan of the ending, feels like there will be a direct sequel to this one (that's not a problem so much as not knowing if and when there's a sequel).

Hopefully the quality for future BT novels is as good at least.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2016, 09:02:54 »
I read this over a bunch of nightshifts and really enjoyed it good characters and a couple of units we haven't seen much of

A little bug-bear was I felt the ending was a little rushed but I liked the resolution since it hit home what was about to happen as a step towards one of the Inner Spheres biggest conflicts it defienently does its job
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2016, 16:35:21 »
as stated; this is a very good read. The quality of the writing is excellent (first time I read one of your novels Mr. Schmetzer) and for me to fly through it is a feat! Lately, I've found that IP books (like Star Wars, Dragon Age and cie) are treated as an after thought and the quality of the writing is ok at best.

I feel the Raider's arch was a bit under used and rushed as well as the ending but all in all, very good read and I gave it a good review on Kobo. Thank you for a good, brand new BT novel
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2016, 16:37:26 »
Looks good, but wish there was a print on demand sale option.  No kindle here, and wary of installing the app on my phone.

Street date for the print edition is the 17th!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2016, 23:31:23 »
Still trying to track down a way to pre-order the dead tree version. Anyone with a copy spot me the ISBN?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2016, 06:35:10 »
Still trying to track down a way to pre-order the dead tree version. Anyone with a copy spot me the ISBN?
I don't have a copy, but Goodreads seems to suggest 9781942487234, if that helps?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2016, 07:20:18 »
I'll try that! thanks!

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2016, 10:52:40 »
Just finished the dead tree copy.  really enjoyed it. Also had a random person walk up and ask me where I got it (uhm... Catalyst booth at ECCC, but try asking these local places or checking amazon in the next few weeks)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2016, 07:19:49 »
Picked my copy up the other day.

I did not expect this to be a game-store item and I had been hounding my friendly local book shop about it.

Can't wait to read it!

A.E. Housman

ColonelCrow

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2016, 17:00:54 »
I just finished this this afternoon and I was really impressed. Excellent characterization, with layers of motivation and realistic faults and strengths. Very good read, highly recommended.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2016, 15:50:57 »
I like-wised finish read Jason Schmetzer's beauty recently, it was slice of Battletech heaven to read. It's all you ever wanted in a book.  Nugged right as the Jihad was taking off and things go bad.  I so want read something like this new soon.

I hope the Jason's Dark Age Wolf's Dragoons get a full-length novel as well. I didn't get read the short-story/novelette for Dragons he did.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 18:21:00 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2016, 15:54:26 »
I hope the Jason's Dark Age Wolf's Dragoons get a full-length novel as well. I didn't get read the short-story/novelette for Dragons he did.

Redemption Rift, at ~96.5k words, was a full-length novel.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2016, 15:57:26 »
And a damned fine one at that.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 09 September 2016, 22:35:31 »
I hope it gets published into a paper back too!  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2016, 04:32:29 »
Yeah, I'd pay cash money for a physical copy of it.

Storyteller

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2018, 09:55:16 »
Just finished the audiobook on Audible. Liked it a lot!

The plot and characters are well written, the action scenes are not not too long and not overly complex.
Some BT writers tend to stretch the mech fights, but not Schmetzer.

Thank you for this fine novel. It took may way too long to notice it.
Just heard of recently and bought it immidiatly.

5/5 stars from me. :-)

Register