Author Topic: (Answered) Omni-pods  (Read 1832 times)

Go For The Throat

• Warrant Officer
  • I would rather not be known as the underkill guy.
(Answered) Omni-pods
« on: 27 August 2014, 00:34:47 »
1) Since a standard item can be turned omni, is it possible to "de-pod" an item that was originally manufactured to be used on an omni so it could be installed on a standard unit?

2) Does such a thing as a generic pod exist? According to pg. 189, I can purchase a "pod" to be able to make a piece of standard equipment omni-capable for 25% of the cost of the item. From a salvage standpoint, if I am in the field and all of the ER Medium Lasers I brought with me are used/destroyed, but I have salvaged several standard ones, do I have to have an "ER Medium Laser pod" to convert them? I know the whole "If it works for your game...", but was wondering if there is an official answer.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 23:02:40 by Xotl »
Victor Davion, proof that even with the technology available in the BattleTech Universe, it still takes 104 years to get rid of VD...
IlClan: Where Clan Tech is given, not earned.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Question about Omni-pods
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2014, 17:27:49 »
1. Yes.  Same rules apply in reverse.

2. No.  Different brands and models of what BT calls the same weapon may have different physical dimensions, possibly even different input requirements.  Software, power, and cooling inputs are what I have in mind.  The pod's job is to be an interface that fits this into a reasonably standardized set of inputs from the OmniMech.  I imagine the Omni would be generally fairly standardized across types but there's going to be some deviance.  Two vendors often have trouble implementing the same spec quite the same way in my experience.

However, if using AToW it would be possible if the GM wishes, in which case he would decide how hard that would be for the Tech to do.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Go For The Throat

• Warrant Officer
  • I would rather not be known as the underkill guy.
Re: (Answered) Question about Omni-pods
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2014, 12:46:35 »
Thank you for the response, it is very much appreciated.

I figured as much, but just wanted to double check.

While I realize that that is the case in universe, in all the years I have played, I have never been a part of a group that chose to make that much of a distinction. It has always been a medium laser is a medium laser, regardless of whether it was produced by Diverse optics, or Magna. The same goes for pretty much any weapon, with a few exceptions. Then of course there is the RPG, where the Starfire, and Intek laser rifles have been giver specific differences, so it is easy to differentiate.
Victor Davion, proof that even with the technology available in the BattleTech Universe, it still takes 104 years to get rid of VD...
IlClan: Where Clan Tech is given, not earned.