Author Topic: Do tank crews ever get "carsick"?  (Read 6123 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Do tank crews ever get "carsick"?
« on: 23 February 2018, 14:10:11 »
I was rewatching a MythBusters episode and they said that a lot of astronauts get motion sickness. Then they explained why and I was wondering if tank crews ever got motion sickness. Everyone other than the driver is getting conflicting information from their eyes and their sense of motion, so that would seem a perfect recipe for a vomit-scented tank.

Anyone seen this in person? Or receive any training in how to counter it?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Do tank crews ever get "carsick"?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2018, 14:54:58 »
it's the disassociation between your body being at rest and your mind perceiving you are in motion.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2018, 16:42:04 »
during deployment back during desert storm my buddy was in motor pool he can attest that after being assigned kp duty for doing something silly not dangerous he had been stuck on cleaning detail of apc and armor crew compartments that yes tankers do get car sick. there was one in particular he recalls because it was same crew and same tank he ended cleaning up after made it no fun to be stuck on that detail whenever they got back...and barf bags do not seal as tightly as you think
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2018, 18:02:37 »
Forget tank crews - try being the CARGO. Stuck in the dimly lit crew compartment, packed in like sardines because designers never factored packing in men and equipment, it’s hot... so bloody hot.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2018, 18:27:47 »
Forget tank crews - try being the CARGO. Stuck in the dimly lit crew compartment, packed in like sardines because designers never factored packing in men and equipment, it’s hot... so bloody hot.
ohhh i can sympathize i suffer thanks to my Mrs a very nasty claustrophobia...did not have it prior to getting married go figure.
i do not go to NYC unless i have to and  used to go every weekend...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2018, 18:57:55 »
Funny thing about claustrophobia and the Mrs.  I started getting it really bad a couple years ago.  Started to feel it when stuck in an airplane when it was stuck on the ground (though not when flying) and then when snorkeling.  I know a few pilots (myself included) that get airsick when they are not the one whose hands are at the controls.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2018, 12:29:43 »
I know that it was a big problem during the MBT-70 tests.  The driver for the tank sat in a self contained pod that would turn and angle in location to the hull whilst the turret he was in would turn and move independently.  The result was motion sickness and dizzyness.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2018, 14:16:00 »
Most armored vehicles have limited ventilation and little or no air conditioning, right?  That right there is enough to insure that people will get motion sickness in them.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2018, 15:30:42 »
Most armored vehicles have limited ventilation and little or no air conditioning, right?  That right there is enough to insure that people will get motion sickness in them.
add in the nuclear/biological/gas attack protection.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2018, 15:36:20 »
Hi! First-hand experience here, and I will attest that everyone blows chunks in the tank sooner or later.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2018, 15:43:00 »
Short version:
Inner Ear says you are moving, eyes say you are still (since all you can see is the interior of the vehicle).  The when the eye and inner ear tell different things, this means to the old part of our brain that something is wrong, and for most of human history when that disconnect occurred it was because we ate bad food.  So we developed a certain reaction, to remove the bad food before we died from it.

Result - motion sickness leads humans to blow chunks.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2018, 04:06:48 »
One more reason why the TC (and I imagine the loader) stick their heads out of the top for "situational awareness."  Being buttoned up with only vision slits and having the tank doing its thing is much more likely to redecorate the interior.

Hey Bosch, you got any experience with the Pattons or older machines?  I've heard the automated hydraulics on the Abrams give it a smoother ride, but that means you're doing a rolling 'bumpy-float' motion rather than thudding on various terrain features.  I'd imagine that would make the older machines a lot more painful in general, but the Abrams a chunkbucket.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2018, 04:23:55 »
When I was in Iraq and in the back of Warrior AFV's I didn't get motion sick but we usually had the mortar hatches open and would either be sat down inside or standing up looking outside. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2018, 06:58:21 »
Hi! First-hand experience here, and I will attest that everyone blows chunks in the tank sooner or later.
I know I would if were in anything but the M1. The sell of diesel fuel makes me sick, especially the mess that the Army uses.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2018, 15:14:48 »
I know I would if were in anything but the M1. The sell of diesel fuel makes me sick, especially the mess that the Army uses.

We burned Army biodiesel in the tanks now and then. The nice thing about the turbines is that you can put anything in them and they'll run. (Okay, having incredible amounts of power and torque were also pretty nice.) I will note that the Abrams never particularly smelled of fuel to me.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2018, 18:18:14 »

Couldn't agree more! AND while I never rode around in a tank, I've been in numerous APCs and IFVs and you take a helluva beating riding around in those.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2018, 18:56:32 »
Try an AAV-P7 in the surf zone after people have already gotten sick.

Nothing quite like three directions of movement, fuel exhaust, and vomit.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 19:55:04 by Charlie 6 »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2018, 21:43:13 »
And that's why I joined the Army, folks. So I could heave my guts out on dry land. :D

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2018, 22:24:39 »
Yes, that is why I joined the Air Force. I have a life rule of trying to avoiding going into any environment where I am not at the top of the foodchain.

So wallowing in a surf zone, with diesel fumes and with my tendency towards motion sickness meaning that I become a human burley machine is something I will always avoid . . . sharks are the apex predator in a surf zone.

Much better to get motion sickness in the back of a C-130 which is doing nape-of-earth tactical flying. That way I can spend 45 mins with my head in a garbage bag and having my face turn as green as my DPCUs (camo uniform) - as one of my "mates" nicely put it.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2018, 03:53:58 »
Try an AAV-P7 in the surf zone after people have already gotten sick.

Nothing quite like three directions of movement, fuel exhaust, and vomit.

Been there, done that, and you are sooooo right!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2018, 11:06:22 »
OK. Thanks all!

One thing that occurs to me is that the recent trend in AFVs moving to seats that aren't bolted to the floor could be really useful not only for reducing IED damage, but for hosing out regurgitated crew food. Now I just need to insure that I include a hatch on the bottom hull to allow for the water (and stuff) to drain out.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Thantos13

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2018, 16:36:34 »
While not strictly a tank, submarine sailors get seasick too.  ^-^

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 26 February 2018, 19:42:30 »
While not strictly a tank, submarine sailors get seasick too.  ^-^

A friend of my brothers was on submarine and said that it was actually much worse when the boat was surfaced than when it was submerged.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #23 on: 26 February 2018, 20:02:02 »
A friend of my brothers was on submarine and said that it was actually much worse when the boat was surfaced than when it was submerged.
underwater = no wave motion.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2018, 20:03:26 »
Yeah, dive twenty or thirty meters when you're out at sea and it'll be smooth regardless of how rough the surface is.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 26 February 2018, 22:20:13 »
There's also the exceptionally terrible roll stability of a sub on the surface.  There's virtually nothing to keep it aligned with the horizon, unlike large ships with a square cross-section and strakes, or a proper keel.  And if you're completely surfaced, there's that big thing quite accurately called a sail that's gonna be grabbing at crosswinds...

At least they get the best meals aboard those boats, so it doesn't taste as bad as it could on the rebound.

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 26 February 2018, 23:06:39 »
I'm not very familiar with sub operations.  Why would a sub surface in those conditions?  Don't modern subs move faster and easier when fully submerged in the first place?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #27 on: 27 February 2018, 04:33:24 »
underwater = no wave motion.
That depends on the size of the storm.  I've been rocked by weather when deep.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 27 February 2018, 07:06:38 »
That depends on the size of the storm.  I've been rocked by weather when deep.

Indeed, I've got quite a few submariner friends who've all told me that subs can cop a pounding down to below 50m if the storm is particularly nasty.

I'm not very familiar with sub operations.  Why would a sub surface in those conditions?  Don't modern subs move faster and easier when fully submerged in the first place?

Subs have places to be, and can't really transit confined, shallow or busy waterways underwater, it's a natural constraint. The real fun part is that subs can't actually submerge when the seas get above a certain level, so they just have to remain on the surface and tough it out. :-)

Yes, that is why I joined the Air Force. I have a life rule of trying to avoiding going into any environment where I am not at the top of the foodchain.

So wallowing in a surf zone, with diesel fumes and with my tendency towards motion sickness meaning that I become a human burley machine is something I will always avoid . . . sharks are the apex predator in a surf zone.

Much better to get motion sickness in the back of a C-130 which is doing nape-of-earth tactical flying. That way I can spend 45 mins with my head in a garbage bag and having my face turn as green as my DPCUs (camo uniform) - as one of my "mates" nicely put it.

Dude, in the air your apex predator is the ground! You have to meet him someday!

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #29 on: 27 February 2018, 08:58:04 »
The real fun part is that subs can't actually submerge when the seas get above a certain level, so they just have to remain on the surface and tough it out. :-)

Ouch.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Register