Author Topic: Turning Movies into campaigns  (Read 2776 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Turning Movies into campaigns
« on: 23 May 2016, 11:50:38 »
Since I always look to find ideas for campaign arcs, and after seeing Expendables 3 come up for some advertisement I started wondering how easy it would be to turn it into a merc campaign.  Then I thought- why stop at mercs & Expendables!

What movies could you convert to a BT campaign & how?  What timeframe?  Which house is each side?

I am going to specifically exclude old war movies like Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far . . . those have been discussed in the past but we have lots of other sci-fi, techno-thriller and other military related movies.

What first came to my mind was the original Red Dawn- easiest setting I could come up with was the Capellan offensive during the 3130s.  A little band of militia troopers with just combat vehicles flee from the invasion blitz of Capellans.  Some of the folks are trained with mechwarrior skills, first encounter is a scout or two in ambush.

Replay many of the little fight scenes for the little band of renegades . . . strike at a firebase, then run back leading the quick response force into a ambush.  Hit supply convoys . . . rescue a regular who gets shot out of his machine . . . try to make it to a extraction point for a dropship from a pirate point jumpship while crippled mechs fight a rearguard action . . . pretty typical storyline.  Bonus points for using cast pictures in uniform for the opposing forces.

A similar if opposite flip would be to use most of the Babylon 5 'movie' about the Earth-Mimbari war where it comes down to the line.  If you could build up the same feeling of desperation it would be what the Capellans felt in 4SW as the last defenders are digging in to hold off the unstoppable FedSuns . . . who just stops.  Shocked Capellan defenders are left wondering what happened, why they were spared the final assault that would finish the Confederation.

Operation Petticoat might also be a fun one . . . a pink dropship?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: Turning Movies into campaigns
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 13:35:29 »
Black Hawk Down: Rabid Fox Teams get bogged down trying to root zhanzeng de guang guerillas from a city somewhere in the Chaos March.

RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 13:46:09 »
More RP . . . unless you are just playing a infantry supported by a little bit of armor.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 13:51:34 »
Well of course you have to adapt it to the situation.  They're not air mobile light infantry, they go in in battle armor and then have to fight their way to a downed VTOL and/or DropShip (Leopard, maybe?) to rescue the crew against overwhelming numbers of irregular infantry. Throw in some militarized industrial 'Mechs as "boss" fights for good measure.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2016, 14:44:03 »
Sounds sort of fun . . . I did a prison break scenario- BA, infantry and VTOLs against green infantry and 'gun' towers.
Colt Ward

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2016, 14:47:00 »
Why stop at movies?

You could turn the Black Sheep Squadron tv show (from the 70s - yeah, I just dated myself) into a nice campaign.  You could also adapt the Wing Commander games into a good Aerospace Fighter centered campaign as well.

Any naval show/movie could make a good basis too.  Have it be an assault dropship patrolling space like a submarine or surface warship.

As for mechs, not too many armor battle/tank movies.  Probably have to refer to actual history there.

But, as for general players as infantry, spies, troopers, etc....any movie you can think of and more.  We already have genetic engineering monsters, mad cults, cybernetic monstrosities, plotting nobles, etc, etc.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2016, 16:02:36 »
Let's see. I'm thinking you could do some adaptations of the various RoboCop movies. Maybe even Chappie or Short Circuit. Elysium would be workable with the advent of the PAL suit or Battle Armor.

You could bring in a search for a new Hunter's Paradise with various Kaiju monsters. Avatar could be done, and you could either keep the alien primitives or switch it for human ones.

Want to have fun surviving or stirring up trouble for a local lord? Call in the A-Team.

Air Wolf has lots of insertion stuff.

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2016, 16:37:38 »
I'll agree w/ @CungrVanck, the first thing that came to mind is the overall plot for MS Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans.
The 'main' cast could easily be a Periphery-based mixed-unit PMC of sorts.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2016, 17:02:09 »
Some random ideas... (some I did as a GM some dont... yet):

- Aliens and/or Starship Troopers (for a cool bug hunt - did this in the old West End Games Star Wars).

- Mission Impossible (or any spy movie for that matter - did this for Shadowrun 2nd ed.)

- A-Team (the concept can be fun - Im toying with this for my next campaign).
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2016, 17:32:53 »
Hm, to be clear . . . I was not looking for AToW campaign ideas, but TW rules using mechs or combined arms.
Colt Ward

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2016, 18:20:57 »

The Running Man, done as Solaris VII resistance vs WoB occupiers and their collaborators.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2016, 18:48:18 »
Lord of the Rings.

I really want to see Helm's Deep scenario in Battletech.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2016, 20:35:46 »
Any Robot anime, especially GUNDAM 0083, Gundam War in the Pocket, MS08 Team, Dougram, Macross Frontier, Macross Zero.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2016, 21:21:06 »
BSG-BattleTech crossover idea: Kisho Nova Cat is William Adama leading a flotilla of DropShips and JumpShips (flagship: Vengeance-class Galactica) that contain the last survivors of Clan Nova Cat.  The Cylons that could be anyone: ISF spies and saboteurs hell-bent on wiping the protagonists out.

Robot Jox:  requires no crossover.  It's a 100% accurate depiction of Clan society as-is.

Maverick__

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2016, 00:11:49 »
The british tv series Musketeers would be great to adapt for the politics and intrigue in nobles' court.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2016, 02:37:48 »
Kellys Heroes-

Odd Ball: "Wasted trip, baby. Nobady said nothing about locking horns with no Timber Wolves!"
  Big Joe: "Hey look, you just need to keep those Timber Wolves busy and we'll take care of the rest."
Odd Ball: "The only way I got to keep them Timber Wolves busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!"

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2016, 04:08:05 »
Kellys Heroes-

Odd Ball: "Wasted trip, baby. Nobady said nothing about locking horns with no Timber Wolves!"
  Big Joe: "Hey look, you just need to keep those Timber Wolves busy and we'll take care of the rest."
Odd Ball: "The only way I got to keep them Timber Wolves busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!"

This! But... A ragtag group of FedSuns soldiers at the tail end of the Jihad are sick of being throw against the Word... So they go after a bank deep in the Protectorate.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2016, 07:41:53 »
You could turn the Black Sheep Squadron tv show (from the 70s - yeah, I just dated myself) into a nice campaign. 

Curse you. Now I've got the A-Team theme song in my head.

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about famous battles that you'd like to see in BattleTech? That could be a good place to start too.

I know you're not looking for role-playing, but The Man in the Iron Neurohelmet has a nice ring to it. Fighting a duel at 30 paces with BattleMechs could be interesting.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2016, 08:28:06 »
Heh . . . I actually had thought of the Conte of Monte Cristo but while excellent for skulldruggery it would not really have any stand up mech fights.

And yeah, I can see that Kelly's Heroes story shaping up nicely . . . I need to go watch that again.
Colt Ward

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2016, 12:00:26 »
Lord of the Rings.

I really want to see Helm's Deep scenario in Battletech.

Or Pelennor Fields. With GOL-1H in place of the oliphaunts. And Legolas as a BA trooper.

"That STILL only counts as one!"
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2016, 20:14:22 »
Or Pelennor Fields. With GOL-1H in place of the oliphaunts. And Legolas as a BA trooper.

"That STILL only counts as one!"
"legolas, what do your lostech sensors see?"

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2016, 20:35:21 »
After seeing the rules for mobs in Historical: Reunification War, I'm looking forward to a World War Z scenario...  [brew]

abou

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2016, 20:39:28 »
Lawrence of Arabia would probably be a good choice. Fertile ideas for a guerrilla-type campaign.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2016, 01:01:51 »
Kelly's Heroes - a motley crew of mechwarriors, tankers and infantrymen decides to carry out unsanctioned mission behind enemy lines for personal profit
Battle of Neretva/Battle of Sutjeska - you are part of unit that is trying to survive being chased by much larger force, missions alternating between delaying battles against the enemy main force, breakout assaults against blocking forces, sheparding rear echelon elements and civilians, along with raids to capture crucial supplies
Fortress Brest - heavy urban maps, first you need to delay enemy assault, supported by artillery fire, while getting your tankers and mechwarriors to their machines so they can activate them and join the fight. Several consecutive battles for this map with dwindling resources on your side and finally a breakout. If breakout fails you have a final stand scenario and if you succeede you could turn it into above scenario.
Shoot first, laugh later.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2016, 04:22:52 »
Well, can't really think of anything TW related.

From a wonderful book.. Red Storm Rising. Just swap out the cold war stuff for something BT flavored
Anime... well, Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell both have elements to support a war that is never really seen or explored.

But as for a movie... best I got is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom played out with those crazy cappies and their thuggee cultists during the jihad. More a RP element though...

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2016, 06:03:15 »
The Empire Strikes Back.  A bunch  of Siroccos and Fleas against fixed guns and infantry, with vtol support.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2016, 06:18:07 »
The Empire Strikes Back.  A bunch  of Siroccos and Fleas against fixed guns and infantry, with vtol WiGE support.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2016, 06:23:08 »
Last year a guy ran a Battletech convention event, loosely based on "Escape from New York", with Snake leading company out of a Jihad occupied Manhattan.  Pretty fun game, especially the rest of the rest of the company named after other character Kurt Russell played, including Jack Burton from "Big Trouble in Little China".  ;D

Movie themed games are pretty cool as long players know the movies.  ;)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register