Author Topic: Netflix and a price hike  (Read 2814 times)

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Netflix and a price hike
« on: 21 April 2014, 21:39:24 »
So not sure how many subscribers there are on here to Netflix. But according to an article today they are planning on raising their prices by $1 or $2 in July? Frankly I am not sure what I am going to do. But it is still cheaper than cable or Satellite to have that and Hulu Plus.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: Netflix and a price hike
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2014, 22:56:41 »
My understanding was the price increase was for new subscribers.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2014, 23:22:39 »
I haven't heard about that, though even with a slight price hike, I'll take it over my cable.
Internets FTW

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2014, 00:28:09 »
My understanding was the price increase was for new subscribers.

Correct.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2014, 00:55:30 »
Use Hulu and even now only once in a blue moon. I just don't watch much TV anymore.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2014, 00:56:31 »
Considering the limited library of online videos, I wasn't even ok with what they charged before. There's only so many Asylum films you can watch...
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2014, 03:31:05 »
They have a bit of an issue because all the broadcast channels are attempting to copy as they notice how similar they are to dodos.  So, those companies along with anyone else they can exert influence on are not letting as much TV filter down a season or two behind.

I like Netflix, and with free Hulu to watch the latest Arrow, Vikings or rare other program I watch I am good at the moment.  Feel sorry for the folks stuck with Comcast who admitted they slowed down the stream to those who were getting Netflix 1) because they could, and 2) to punish those folks for not buying their cable . . . mean while like railroads in the early 1900s they are confused.  They seem to have forgotten they are in the entertainment business rather than the cable TV business.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2014, 06:36:39 »
I like Netflix more then Hulu. There is no commercials on Netflix.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2014, 08:12:28 »
The problem is that it is just going to be the starting point. Test the waters with a few bucks, see how many people stick around, how many leave. Next slide in another buck or two, claim House of Cards as the reason you should pay more. Soon, its just going to be as bad as getting cable but without all of the channels that have 20 different pawn shop shows, history shows about people running around naked and or in a swamp chasing gators.

If Netflix continues to grow then cable companies are going to start reducing speeds, as someone mentioned a company already has. You can say "screw cable!" but most people are going to be using cable based internet to watch netflix. Its not as though you can select which cable company you can get internet access from, they have a legalized monopoly, so you have no choice but to pay them or go with something slower. Costs are just going to start stacking up.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2014, 09:27:01 »
Its not as though you can select which cable company you can get internet access from, they have a legalized monopoly, so you have no choice but to pay them or go with something slower.

That's not necessarily true. In many places there are more than one company in competition (here I think we have at least 3) , and cable/twisted pair will slowly but surely be replaced by fiber-optic.  If and when a company sees a business opportunity to make money they will jump in and compete with the extant companies that may be dominant in any given area.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2014, 11:37:50 »
I'm about ready to toss Netflix as it is... it's a neat idea, but the library is so limited that I'm having trouble finding things I want to watch at this point to justify the expense per month. I know it isn't much money, but it's still more than I want to spend on something that isn't really providing a lot of entertainment, beyond Deep Space 9 reruns and an occasional movie that I haven't already seen.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2014, 12:11:04 »
That's not necessarily true. In many places there are more than one company in competition (here I think we have at least 3) , and cable/twisted pair will slowly but surely be replaced by fiber-optic.  If and when a company sees a business opportunity to make money they will jump in and compete with the extant companies that may be dominant in any given area.

Yeah, if you count cable vs. phone vs. satellite, everyone has around 3 choices.

Funny thing is the cable company around here double-charges. If you purchase internet, that's one fee. Analog cable is a second fee, even though it's been fed through the same line. They have to put a terminator on your line to STOP the signal from getting to you. lol

It's a bit like running water to your house, but having the utilities company cap off the upstairs faucets. If you want to use those, you need to pay a fee. lol

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2014, 12:23:58 »
Doesn't bother me too much. My queue is still almost full.

But for the cable...I live in a dead zone. I can't get high-speed internet from anyone. Now, go half a mile in any direction and sure then I have choices.

Thankfully my neighborhood was one of the ones selected for Google Fiber, so now just waiting on the installation of that..

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2014, 19:51:47 »
I'm about ready to toss Netflix as it is... it's a neat idea, but the library is so limited that I'm having trouble finding things I want to watch at this point to justify the expense per month. I know it isn't much money, but it's still more than I want to spend on something that isn't really providing a lot of entertainment, beyond Deep Space 9 reruns and an occasional movie that I haven't already seen.

that is why they want to do the price hike is so they can afford to get more shows for viewers

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2014, 20:20:57 »
Yeah, if you count cable vs. phone vs. satellite, everyone has around 3 choices.

Funny thing is the cable company around here double-charges. If you purchase internet, that's one fee. Analog cable is a second fee, even though it's been fed through the same line. They have to put a terminator on your line to STOP the signal from getting to you. lol

It's a bit like running water to your house, but having the utilities company cap off the upstairs faucets. If you want to use those, you need to pay a fee. lol

Here I have several companies who offer full services (phone/internet/cable all in one package.  I buy mine from AT&T U-verse while other relatives have Comcast Xfinity and one of my cousins has something else that provides/phone/internet/cable.  So it's not a monopoly.

-- William S. Burroughs

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2014, 20:57:27 »
When I lived in rural New Mexico I had a provider that offered direct fiber lines for less than I paid for phone service. Comcast was offering everything but HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax as part of the basic package to compete.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2014, 21:00:58 »
Wait, a service company announced a price hike for new subscribers 2 months in advance???

Wonder how many new subscribers are being refered by this news??? ;D

To the patient go the spoils

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2014, 13:59:46 »
Wait, a service company announced a price hike for new subscribers 2 months in advance???

Wonder how many new subscribers are being refered by this news??? ;D

Netflix: "Be prepared to pay $2 more per month for your Sharknado and Sharktapus vs. Giant Jumbo Jellyfish watchins."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2014, 14:14:29 »
Here I have several companies who offer full services (phone/internet/cable all in one package.  I buy mine from AT&T U-verse while other relatives have Comcast Xfinity and one of my cousins has something else that provides/phone/internet/cable.  So it's not a monopoly.

That's the common definition, not the legal one.
In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power to charge high prices.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2014, 15:34:06 »
That's the common definition, not the legal one.
In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power to charge high prices.

Still not correct. It's when a fat, rich guy with a mustache has the power to charge you for landing on a stupid, red hotel.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2014, 21:48:27 »
there is monopoly, and effective monopoly.

IMO in most markets the cable companies are effective monopolies in the US why because they are often EFFECTIVELY the only option for a service.

note I will use Comcast as an example its when you start looking and see huge swaths of the country where your choice is Comcast, or satellite or nothing and Comcast can get away with charging something like $ 70/month for cable internet, and $100 /month for tv they may not be an in fact monopoly but they are basically an EFFECTIVE monopoly (IMO)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2014, 23:47:28 »
The word you all are looking for is oligopoly.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Register