Author Topic: Building a landing craft  (Read 4137 times)

Kidd

• Major
Building a landing craft
« on: 27 March 2016, 10:40:38 »
As the topic title says, I am trying to build a naval surface landing craft of the Higgins or LCU/LCM/LCVP variety. And I realised I don't know how to transfer, say, infantry or tank units from a non-amphibious surface naval craft in water to land, since disembarking units occupy the same hex as the carrier unit, right?

Then I looked at the bridgelayer in TechManual and the bit where it says it is available to naval vessels (lightbulb!). So that will be the 'ramp' for my landing craft.

Problem solved...? Am I getting the wrong picture here on disembarkation and bridgelayer rules?

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
Re: Building a landing craft
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2016, 16:34:44 »
Nope. You have it right; the bridgelayer is the solution to that particular problem.

I had a large support naval ship that carried a few hover bridgelayers to extend the ramp and allow it to land its troops on islands with shores too shallow to accommodate the ship.

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2016, 09:47:55 »
Personally I went with using Hovers/VTOL/Wige/Amphibious tracked/wheeled vees launched from a parent craft to land troops/supplies

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2016, 10:24:46 »
What niche would such landing craft fill that dropships don't?

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2016, 12:04:36 »
Cost, tech simplicity, availability...

If you have a bunch of militia and a soggy world, getting some basic smoker tanks and troops from point A to point B.

Dropships aren't available to every commander.

On the flip side, droppers and small craft allow sub-orbital transport anywhere on the planet from a single depot.  Mixing the two methods, moving local militia and airlifting distant mechs, is a likely scenario.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2016, 19:36:51 »

Infantry garrisoned on a large surface naval (or submarine) vessel; there are good reasons to avoid or minimize VTOL insertions, both practical and regional (terrain, atmospheric conditions, technology level, etc.).

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2016, 11:53:27 »
A submersible transport opens up all sorts of nasty options for a garrison... ;)

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2016, 21:05:35 »
A submersible transport opens up all sorts of nasty options for a garrison... ;)

Oh, you don't know the half of it...  8)

Register