Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry Design Questions  (Read 4695 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
(Answered) Infantry Design Questions
« on: 26 January 2011, 09:39:53 »
Thankfully I had these questions backed up, hopefully they can get answered now :)

#1.  Are paramedics allocated on a per-squad or per-platoon basis?  Like could a platoon of 4 squads have 6 paramedics and 2 support weapons?

#2.  How does splitting a platoon work with field guns/artillery?  Could a 100 man platoon have a 30 man field gun?

#3.  Does the 1 MP for motorized/mechanized units with field artillery overrule any other MP?  Would a Move or Shoot platoon gain 1 MP from having field artillery?

#4.  Can a light environmental suit or engineering suit be used by XCT in a vacuum/trace?  Under armor it says vacuum cable, but it is not listed under the XCT requirements.

#5.  If one weapon is Flame/Non-Pentrating/Burst-Fire, and the other is not, do you just whichever range band is being used?  (so 2+ support weapons/squad those stats count, if only 1 use the stats from the primary weapon)

#6.  Defensive modifiers for infantry with Sneak/DEST suits are shown on the table TO379.  However, TM309 states "use the highest modifier possible", so do we just use the TO379 table instead of MP/Range based infantry hit modifiers?

#7.  For Marines and Combat Engineers, do the maximum troops/squad and other stats on the TO341 table completely replace those in TM145?  The rules aren't real clear to me.

#8.  Is XCT a result of the armor, or a training?  Somebody in a spacesuit can always be in space, regardless of training, so I'm not sure how this works.  The Defensive Factor of +.1 seems out of place for "XCT trained" and XCT Cost multiplier as well, and should probably have been added to those armors instead.  Also, sometimes XCT is referred to as "XCT: Vacuum", does that mean XCT training cost is *per environment*, or just that even though a unit COULD operate in both a vacuum and in hazardous environments, they may only be trained for just one of the two, but the cost is the same either way.

#9.  Can it be assumed that all non-ground moving infantry have 1 ground MP in addition to their VTOL/Jump/Submarine MP? 

#10.  Can a Branth move on land at 1 MP or fly only? I think this was answered in TRO3085, with the Branth mounted infantry having 1 ground MP, but I wanted to be sure.

#11.  Orca/Hipposaur specify that the troops must have SCUBA gear, but SCUBA infantry is its own type and doesn't look like it can mix with the beast infantry.  Is this just kind of a note for RPG's and has no impact in TW?

#12.  How do weapons with "1E" crew work with the beast-mounted crew divisor?  I would guess just a standard 1 crew.  If a squad has 1E weapons as their primary weapon, can they still do Anti-Mech attacks?  What about MD with TSM myomers that "ignore encumbering"?

#13.  Can High-Velocity Cannons be Field Guns?  I would assume so, but they were never mentioned.

#14.  If one-shot weapons have >1 crew, how are those figured into how many can exist in the platoon?

#15.  Can a field gun unit *really* have 15 magshot gauss rifles in a platoon???

#16.  Is there a difference between a platoon with 1 paramedic per squad and 2 in game terms?  Are there full paramedic squads or can a squad only have 1-2 of them?

#17.  Since only some units in TRO3085 are mentioned as "no anti-mech attacks", I think usually because of their armor or type, does that mean all other units are "anti-mech"?  Or is that just an additional training to any anti-mech capable platoon (at 5x cost) that gives a -2 to anti-mech attacks?

#18.  Not 100% sure on how costs are calculated

#19.  How does an armor divisor work with Full Body Dermal Implants that add +1 hit per trooper?  Does it mean 1 trooper with the implants takes 2 damage, but with heavy armor also divides all incoming damage by 2 for a total of 4 hits for 1 trooper?  Or instead are they just added, like 2 hits per trooper due to armor divisor 2 armor, +1 hit for the dermal implants for a total of 3 hits per trooper?  Not real sure how this works.

#20.  Are the information formation size, from the table on TM147, absolute or just "recommendations"?  I noticed in TRO3085 some units aren't the same size as this table so maybe its just a suggested size.

#21.  If a platoon has paramedics, are those soldiers counted in anti-mech and swarm attacks as a # of personnel?  I would assume not, but nothing is mentioned in the text.

#22.  Can prosthetic limbs with weapons, from JHS3072 p124 or so, be used with arms *and* legs?  So a soldier with 2 improved enhanced prosthetic arms AND 2 prosthetic legs have EIGHT vibroblades/lasers on them?  That could be +30 damage for a squad at a range of 0 (and probably cause fear from the whirling blades of death!)

#23.  Do climbing claws on prosthetic limbs (JHS p130) help with Anti-Mech attacks?  They give a -1 TN to climb per limb, the same as electromagnets which do give -2 to AM attacks.  On the same topic, if a soldier had magnetic arms *and* legs they would get a -4 to climb RPG wise, the same as a Grappler, so really shouldn't a -2 TN in RPG be a -1 to anti-mech attacks, and a -4 TN in the RPG be -2?  This would add a bit of complication I guess, but makes sense.

#24.  Can both field guns and artillery use special ammunition?

#25.  Can motorized SCUBA platoons use field guns?  Guess they would be a bit useless underwater, but could be used on land.

#26.  Can a unit with field guns/artillery just drop them at any time, loosing them for the rest of game, to move normally?

#27.  How is BV rounding done?  Round each weapon type, round the OBV and DBV before combining, etc?

#28.  Would Telescopic *and* Laser Sight implants (JHS 3072, P127 or so) combine together to a -2 to hit?  It often mentions benefits do not stack, and with AEPs I can see it, but telescopic and laser sighting are different systems completely and it would make sense if they could stack. 

#29.  The Clan Anti-Infantry unit, TRO 3085, Page 213, has 2 Tranq Guns as their secondary weapon which is a non-penetrating weapon.  However 4 of the 5 damage comes from the Avenger CCW Shotgun.  Shouldn't non-penetrating or flame-based sort of attributes come from whichever weapon has the *greater* damage amount? 

#30.  On the same thought process as #27, what if a platoon of 28 soldiers in 4 squads had 8 secondary weapons with a range of 0, but 20 primary weapons with a range of 1, do you *have* to use the secondary weapon range when 2 per platoon are mounted, or is it an option?

#31.  When it comes to Paramedics, page TO340 at the bottom seems to indicate you could have a 4 squad platoon, with 6 support weapons and 2 paramedics, would that be legal?  Otherwise it seems to fit within the rules more to just replace 1-2 per squad without having weird counts on support weapons.  What would happen with 2 support weapons in a single squad and 6 paramedics?  The unit would get the full range of support weapons but in reality have less than normal.

#32.  How do Manei Domini implants, JHS3072 p131, affect the numbers of paramedics per squad since they can have up to 4 support weapons?  Can those platoons be motorized or mechanized and still gain those benefits?  What about a VTOL MD platoon, that typically could have no support weapons, do they still get +1 or +2 for full body dermal armor or TSM?.  What about those platoons restricted to 1 support weapon?  How do the MD implants interact with beast mounted infantry?

#33.  Can a micro-copter platoon, that can carry just 1 support weapon per squad, also carry a standard weapon per squad for a total of 3 weapon types per squad?  Or is it assumed that there is just 2 weapon types per platoon (plus disposable/field weapons)?

#34.  What infantry weapons can be used underwater?  How is the range calculated for them, like half base range then calculate, or just half the standard above-water range calculation?  Do those weapons work as normal ABOVE water?

#35.  Can any weapon types be in prosthetic arms?  The Tau Zombie says it has a "TK Enforcer" in the arms, but it is not on the weapon table on P130 of JHS 3072, though a "Sub-Gun" is.

#36.  How do Belter modifications (P113, Jihad Conspiracies) affect BV?  Perhaps the "Trait Cost" is the same as the Enhancement "Level" for MD units?  There are only Extreme Cosmetic Modification (no CBT effects), Infantry Modifications (like dermal armor) and Vacuum Resistance (less damage in vacuums).

#37.  More of a rules question, but do conventional weapons, like "Direct Fire Ballistic", that do "Damage /10" damage to infantry, ignore the damage divisors of infantry armor? 

#38.  Are field guns rolled individually for to-hits, or do they use a cluster table based on the # of field guns/artillery remaining?  This would sure make sense with 15 Magshots being in a platoon Smiley

#39.  TRO3085, P195, the mechanized field artillery platoon has "TK Assault Rifles", but the affiliation of this weapon is "Lyran Alliance" and the platoon Kurita.  Are the affiliations of weapons (and armor for that matter) completely irrelevant for all construction purposes as everybody has everything?

#40.  Do *ALL* platoons get 2 secondary non-support weapons, and just some platoons allowed secondary support weapons?

I ask all of these as I wrote an application to build infantry, which requires very specific and often weird clarifications on rules to ensure designs are legal.

You can download it here:  http://www.cooltexan.com/BTE_v1_0_1_0.zip

Thanks,
Bad Syntax
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 02:11:03 by Xotl »
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Infantry Design Questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 18:43:31 »
Compiling
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Infantry Design Questions
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2011, 00:43:07 »
Hello-

#1.  Are paramedics allocated on a per-squad or per-platoon basis?  Like could a platoon of 4 squads have 6 paramedics and 2 support weapons?

Answer:  Correct.  A platoon may replace some, all, or none of the support weapon choices with paramedics.  However, paramedics do not count as support weapons for purposes of the various rules (movement point loss, range brackets, special abilities, etc.)

#2.  How does splitting a platoon work with field guns/artillery?  Could a 100 man platoon have a 30 man field gun?

Answer:  Oversized platoons are split into multiple sub-platoons for purposes of field guns.  A 100-man platoon would be split into four 25-man platoons and as such could not use a 30-man field gun.  (Tech Manual, Page 146)

#3.  Does the 1 MP for motorized/mechanized units with field artillery overrule any other MP?  Would a Move or Shoot platoon gain 1 MP from having field artillery?

Answer:  It is impossible for a Motorized or Mechanized to be a Move or Shoot platoon (-1 MP for twin support weapons per squad, -1 MP for Encumbering Armor leaves 1 MP for movement).  However, a Motorized or Mechanized platoon with field artillery has 1 MP, regardless of other equipment.

#4.  Can a light environmental suit or engineering suit be used by XCT in a vacuum/trace?  Under armor it says vacuum cable, but it is not listed under the XCT requirements.

Answer:  No, it can not.

#5.  If one weapon is Flame/Non-Pentrating/Burst-Fire, and the other is not, do you just whichever range band is being used?  (so 2+ support weapons/squad those stats count, if only 1 use the stats from the primary weapon)

Answer:  That is correct.  Only the weapon that determines the range bracket provides special effects.

#6.  Defensive modifiers for infantry with Sneak/DEST suits are shown on the table TO379.  However, TM309 states "use the highest modifier possible", so do we just use the TO379 table instead of MP/Range based infantry hit modifiers?

Answer:  No.  The TO379 modifiers are in addition to the normal modifiers.

#7.  For Marines and Combat Engineers, do the maximum troops/squad and other stats on the TO341 table completely replace those in TM145?  The rules aren't real clear to me.

Answer:   Whichever formation size is smaller applies.  A Foot Mountain Troop platoon would be 2 squads of 7 men.

#8.  Is XCT a result of the armor, or a training?  Somebody in a spacesuit can always be in space, regardless of training, so I'm not sure how this works.  The Defensive Factor of +.1 seems out of place for "XCT trained" and XCT Cost multiplier as well, and should probably have been added to those armors instead.  Also, sometimes XCT is referred to as "XCT: Vacuum", does that mean XCT training cost is *per environment*, or just that even though a unit COULD operate in both a vacuum and in hazardous environments, they may only be trained for just one of the two, but the cost is the same either way.

Answer: XCT is a function of training and specialized equipment.  Once trained to operate in Xenoplanetary Conditions, an infantry platoon can operate in any environment that its suits are rated for. XTC suits offer the same protection as the normal suits of the same name, but are equipped with combat specific modifications, such as redundant life support, combat ready patch kits, bio-monitors and such.

#9.  Can it be assumed that all non-ground moving infantry have 1 ground MP in addition to their VTOL/Jump/Submarine MP?

Answer:  Mechanized SCUBA platoons have 0 Ground MP.  All other platoons have 1 Ground MP in addition to their VTOL/Jump/Submarine MP.

#10.  Can a Branth move on land at 1 MP or fly only? I think this was answered in TRO3085, with the Branth mounted infantry having 1 ground MP, but I wanted to be sure.

Answer:  Yes, Branths have 1 Ground MP.

#11.  Orca/Hipposaur specify that the troops must have SCUBA gear, but SCUBA infantry is its own type and doesn't look like it can mix with the beast infantry.  Is this just kind of a note for RPG's and has no impact in TW?

Answer:  In the construction rules SCUBA is an armor type. This armor type is incompatible with beast mounted infantry. A beast infantry unit using Orcas is assumed to have the appropriate underwater breathing gear needed to operate.

#12.  How do weapons with "1E" crew work with the beast-mounted crew divisor?  I would guess just a standard 1 crew.  If a squad has 1E weapons as their primary weapon, can they still do Anti-Mech attacks?  What about MD with TSM myomers that "ignore encumbering"?

Answer: Encumbering weapons do not have any effect on anti-‘mech attacks, nor do they reduce platoon MP.

#13.  Can High-Velocity Cannons be Field Guns?  I would assume so, but they were never mentioned.

Answer:  Yes.

#14.  If one-shot weapons have >1 crew, how are those figured into how many can exist in the platoon?

Answer:  There are no multi-crew one-shot weapons at this time.

#15.  Can a field gun unit *really* have 15 magshot gauss rifles in a platoon???

Answer:  No.  Platoons are not permitted to have 15 Field Guns.

#16.  Is there a difference between a platoon with 1 paramedic per squad and 2 in game terms?  Are there full paramedic squads or can a squad only have 1-2 of them?

Answer: Multiple paramedics help with recovery between scenarios in a campaign (see Strategic Operations).  Paramedics are a support weapon choice, so a squad cannot have more paramedics than it could have support weapons.

#17.  Since only some units in TRO3085 are mentioned as "no anti-mech attacks", I think usually because of their armor or type, does that mean all other units are "anti-mech"?  Or is that just an additional training to any anti-mech capable platoon (at 5x cost) that gives a -2 to anti-mech attacks?

Answer:  By default, all infantry are anti-‘mech capable.  The “anti-‘mech training” cost option is a holdover from pre-TW that should be ignored.

#18.  Not 100% sure on how costs are calculated

Answer: Not 100% sure on how to answer that.

#19.  How does an armor divisor work with Full Body Dermal Implants that add +1 hit per trooper?  Does it mean 1 trooper with the implants takes 2 damage, but with heavy armor also divides all incoming damage by 2 for a total of 4 hits for 1 trooper?  Or instead are they just added, like 2 hits per trooper due to armor divisor 2 armor, +1 hit for the dermal implants for a total of 3 hits per trooper?  Not real sure how this works.

Answer:  The Dermal Implants and Beast modifiers stack with the armor modifier, so that an infantry platoon riding elephants wearing myomer vests and having a full body dermal implant would divide all damage by 4 (in effect, it takes 4 points of damage from a single attack to kill an infantryman in that platoon).

#20.  Are the information formation size, from the table on TM147, absolute or just "recommendations"?  I noticed in TRO3085 some units aren't the same size as this table so maybe its just a suggested size.

Answer:  Tech Manual clearly states that the table is not an absolute (that would be the table on page 145), but is instead what the various factions use.

#21.  If a platoon has paramedics, are those soldiers counted in anti-mech and swarm attacks as a # of personnel?  I would assume not, but nothing is mentioned in the text.

Answer:  Paramedics are counted.

#22.  Can prosthetic limbs with weapons, from JHS3072 p124 or so, be used with arms *and* legs?  So a soldier with 2 improved enhanced prosthetic arms AND 2 prosthetic legs have EIGHT vibroblades/lasers on them?  That could be +30 damage for a squad at a range of 0 (and probably cause fear from the whirling blades of death!)

Answer: Implanted Weapons are restricted to prosthetic arms only.

#23.  Do climbing claws on prosthetic limbs (JHS p130) help with Anti-Mech attacks?  They give a -1 TN to climb per limb, the same as electromagnets which do give -2 to AM attacks.  On the same topic, if a soldier had magnetic arms *and* legs they would get a -4 to climb RPG wise, the same as a Grappler, so really shouldn't a -2 TN in RPG be a -1 to anti-mech attacks, and a -4 TN in the RPG be -2?  This would add a bit of complication I guess, but makes sense.

Answer:  Climbing Claws do not help with Anti-‘Mech attacks.  The -2 TN for Anti-‘Mech attacks does not stack if the cyborg infantry platoon has both prosthetic arms and legs equipped with grapplers and/or magnets.

#24.  Can both field guns and artillery use special ammunition?

Answer:  Yes

#25.  Can motorized SCUBA platoons use field guns?  Guess they would be a bit useless underwater, but could be used on land.

Answer:  No

#26.  Can a unit with field guns/artillery just drop them at any time, loosing them for the rest of game, to move normally?

Answer: Under the current rules, no they can not.

#27.  How is BV rounding done?  Round each weapon type, round the OBV and DBV before combining, etc?

Answer:  BV is rounded to 2 decimal points and then rounded up at the end of calculation.

#28.  Would Telescopic *and* Laser Sight implants (JHS 3072, P127 or so) combine together to a -2 to hit?  It often mentions benefits do not stack, and with AEPs I can see it, but telescopic and laser sighting are different systems completely and it would make sense if they could stack.

Answer: The rule specifically states “infantry troops enhanced with laser sighting or telescopic vision apply a –1 to-hit modifier to ranged attacks”.  As such, they do not stack.

#29.  The Clan Anti-Infantry unit, TRO 3085, Page 213, has 2 Tranq Guns as their secondary weapon which is a non-penetrating weapon.  However 4 of the 5 damage comes from the Avenger CCW Shotgun.  Shouldn't non-penetrating or flame-based sort of attributes come from whichever weapon has the *greater* damage amount?

Answer:  No.  Two support weapons means range and special abilities come from the support weapon.

#30.  On the same thought process as #27, what if a platoon of 28 soldiers in 4 squads had 8 secondary weapons with a range of 0, but 20 primary weapons with a range of 1, do you *have* to use the secondary weapon range when 2 per platoon are mounted, or is it an option?

Answer:  Yes, you *have* to use the secondary/support weapon’s range.

#31.  When it comes to Paramedics, page TO340 at the bottom seems to indicate you could have a 4 squad platoon, with 6 support weapons and 2 paramedics, would that be legal?  Otherwise it seems to fit within the rules more to just replace 1-2 per squad without having weird counts on support weapons.  What would happen with 2 support weapons in a single squad and 6 paramedics?  The unit would get the full range of support weapons but in reality have less than normal.

Paramedics replace support weapon choices in individual squads.  They do not replace primary weapon choices in the squads.

#32.  How do Manei Domini implants, JHS3072 p131, affect the numbers of paramedics per squad since they can have up to 4 support weapons?  Can those platoons be motorized or mechanized and still gain those benefits?  What about a VTOL MD platoon, that typically could have no support weapons, do they still get +1 or +2 for full body dermal armor or TSM?.  What about those platoons restricted to 1 support weapon?  How do the MD implants interact with beast mounted infantry?

Answer:  Paramedics are treated as a support weapon choice.  Any option that increases or decreases the maximum number of support weapons per squad also increases or decreases the maximum number of paramedics in the squad.  MD implants that increase the number of support weapons still work with platoon types that reduce the number of support weapons in the platoon.

#33.  Can a micro-copter platoon, that can carry just 1 support weapon per squad, also carry a standard weapon per squad for a total of 3 weapon types per squad?  Or is it assumed that there is just 2 weapon types per platoon (plus disposable/field weapons)?

Answer:  A platoon has a Primary Weapon, a Support/Secondary Weapon, and Disposable Weapons.  Field Guns/Artillery are extra.

#34.  What infantry weapons can be used underwater?  How is the range calculated for them, like half base range then calculate, or just half the standard above-water range calculation?  Do those weapons work as normal ABOVE water?

Answer: All weapons used by SCUBA units are specially modified to work underwater, but have only half the range they do above water.  These weapons function normally above water.

#35.  Can any weapon types be in prosthetic arms?  The Tau Zombie says it has a "TK Enforcer" in the arms, but it is not on the weapon table on P130 of JHS 3072, though a "Sub-Gun" is.

Answer:  Pistols, Shotguns, and SMGs may be installed in prosthetic arms.

#36.  How do Belter modifications (P113, Jihad Conspiracies) affect BV?  Perhaps the "Trait Cost" is the same as the Enhancement "Level" for MD units?  There are only Extreme Cosmetic Modification (no CBT effects), Infantry Modifications (like dermal armor) and Vacuum Resistance (less damage in vacuums).

Answer: Belter-Modified Infantry multiply their skill-modified BV by 1.75 to account for their extra capabilities.

#37.  More of a rules question, but do conventional weapons, like "Direct Fire Ballistic", that do "Damage /10" damage to infantry, ignore the damage divisors of infantry armor?

Answer:  No.

#38.  Are field guns rolled individually for to-hits, or do they use a cluster table based on the # of field guns/artillery remaining?  This would sure make sense with 15 Magshots being in a platoon Smiley

Answer:  Field Guns roll to hit individually. (Tactical Operations, page 311)

#39.  TRO3085, P195, the mechanized field artillery platoon has "TK Assault Rifles", but the affiliation of this weapon is "Lyran Alliance" and the platoon Kurita.  Are the affiliations of weapons (and armor for that matter) completely irrelevant for all construction purposes as everybody has everything?

Answer:  It’s a flavor effect.  In this case the rifle in question has been in service for 200 years.  It’s safe to say that House Kurita has access to some.

#40.  Do *ALL* platoons get 2 secondary non-support weapons, and just some platoons allowed secondary support weapons?
- Hide quoted text -

Answer:  No.  Secondary Weapons are the Support Weapons.  The difference between the two terms is that Support Weapons may *only* be used in the Secondary/Support slot.  Secondary Weapons can be used in the Primary Weapon slot or the Secondary Weapon slot.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.