Author Topic: My Home Made Terrain  (Read 3362 times)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
My Home Made Terrain
« on: 13 April 2017, 02:17:31 »
Hi All,
I want to share my terrain experiments.  We'll start with the "main view":

This is mainly a felt "base" which is just from a simple bolt of cloth available in fabric stores.  It's enough for a 3'x6' play area.

Here is a close up of my woodland terrain.  It's generally a bit "sparse" to allow units to be placed on it (the heavily-forrested mess in the middle is a recent experiment, in the future I'll use fewer of these deciduous trees because they take up so much space):

These templates consist of;
-Air Dry Clay (ACTÍVA brand)
-Acrylic paint (Apple Barrel and Folk Art brands)
-Light Green Flock (Woodland Scenics brand)
-Various tree and foliage kits (Woodland Scenics)
-Lichen (various sources, ranging from my parent's property to store-bought)
-Superglue (LOCTITE)

This next one is recycled Styrofoam converted to 2" elevation terrain.  It's part of what inspired this undertaking.  About a year ago I found myself with a bunch of foam from some furniture I bought.  Not eager to just send it off to a land-fill, i figured it would be worth my while to try to recycle it.  I'm quite pleased with the end result;

-Scrap Styrofoam
-Acrylic paint (Apple Barrel and Folk Art brands)
-Light Green Flock (Woodland Scenics brand)
-Lichen (various sources, ranging from my parent's property to store-bought)
-Superglue (LOCTITE)
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 19:42:17 by Hayden. »
Hayden

R4360

• Corporal
Re: My Reasonably Priced Terrain
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2017, 08:17:47 »
Looks like you're well on your way.  Did you use a hot knife to do any of the shaping on the foam?

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Re: My Reasonably Priced Terrain
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2017, 19:45:19 »
Looks like you're well on your way.  Did you use a hot knife to do any of the shaping on the foam?

Thanks.  All the shaping was done simply by making a few key cuts with a knife I use for hobbies, breaking it and then scraping away the surface with a gloved hand until i was happy with what remained.  I doubt this particular foam is the non-toxic variety, and I was concerned with fumes, so hotknife was out.  Also, hence the nitrile gloves.
Hayden

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Re: My Home Made Terrain
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2017, 19:48:45 »
These are a couple of fortified SLDF hangars I've worked up as objective set pieces.  They were converted from $3.00 wooden planters, with a little craft plywood to add door details.  The decals are all from Fighting Pirannha Graphics.  The large SLDF insignia are special large-scale decals I happened across at Gencon.  They were perfect for this type of project, so I was eager to snatch them up.  Note that I threw a couple very thin layers of paint over the decals, to make them look worn (Most of my games take place between the 3rd and 4th Succession Wars, so the SLDF has been out of the picture for a while).

« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 21:47:45 by Hayden. »
Hayden

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 22:52:39 »
Looks great. If you don't mind me asking, what infantry models are those in front of the hangars?
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 22:56:04 »
Nice work Hayden.  Going to be a good looking setup there  8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2017, 01:22:01 »
Nice work Hayden.  Going to be a good looking setup there  8)

Looks great. If you don't mind me asking, what infantry models are those in front of the hangars?

My thanks to both of you.  THEMONSTER, The infantry are marked "Ral Partha ©87". I had assumed that they were Kurita Infantry (BT-370), and a cursory google search seems to confirm this, but I can't guarantee that's the case.  There's also a set of similar Davion infantry (BT-371)  There appear to be a handful of different varieties for each, and are molded in 3s.
Hayden

Register