Author Topic: The Virginia War - Pieces of War  (Read 30535 times)

Terrace

• Lieutenant
Re: The Virginia War - Pieces of War
« Reply #30 on: 17 June 2014, 21:27:22 »
One thing I'd like to see would be the Kobol refugees getting the lowdown on the political situation the Cylon Protectorate got tangled up in.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2014, 01:02:23 »
Snip. Post moved to fiction search thread
« Last Edit: 18 June 2014, 01:05:26 by drakensis »
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2014, 04:38:12 »
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 19 June 2014, 00:27:28 »
Thx Dave and Drakensis. [cheers]
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 20 August 2014, 23:37:23 »
 O0 Just finished reading this and its a very good story!  Hope there is more!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Coming Clean
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2014, 08:08:58 »
Port flight-pod, Colonial BattleStar Galactica
Ragnar Anchorage (Colonial Fleet ‘Aegis Depot’), stationary orbit within the Eye of Ragnar
14:23 Caprican Standard Time, 06 Septembrus (D+43), 2016 Post-Colonisation Era
(12:23, March 5 2829, TST)

“You understand the mission?” asks acting-Major Leland Adama.

“Put my head outside the storm, look around, listen for wireless traffic, come home.” Inside her cockpit, newly-re-enlisted Senior Warrant Officer Kara Thrace is checking her controls and gauges. Fuel: four thousand eight hundred pounds of Tylium, 96% capacity — so at least I can run away if I meet a frakking ‘Spectral’. Ammo counters: twenty-five-hundred rounds of 15mm for the chin turret, same for the tail-gun array, six hundred slugs for the three-pound coilguns in each wing, a full load of Akóntia missiles...
  … and nothing short of flushing all six missiles at the frakker will even get a
Spectral’s attention!

“No heroics,” Apollo adds. “This is strictly recon: look, listen, return.”

Still nervous about being made CAG, Lee? Gods know I don’t need that reminder. “You don’t have to worry about me. My taste for heroics vanished about the time I engaged that first Scorpion,” Starbuck reassures him.

As he turns away, Starbuck — Kara — surprises herself by speaking again. “Lee —” It’s not like things can get much worse, and he deserves to know. He needs to know! “Zak crashed because he was on stims. He’d been hooked for months, even before I transferred onto Bellerophon. I found out just after he proposed, and I couldn’t bring myself to tell the flight-surgeon, because Fleet would’ve grounded him, and that would’ve destroyed him. Destroyed us.”

Apollo stares at her. She might as well have hit him between the eyes with a sledgehammer. “The accident investigation —”

“Buried it, Lee. I helped bury it. Major Makros conned me into jettisoning all the evidence that Zak was stimmed, convinced me that finding out would’ve killed your dad. It wasn’t until after the AIB closed that I realised he was handing stims out to half the wing so he could improve readiness rates and pump himself up for the next promotion board.”

“And that was when you punched out the CAG and accepted an administrative discharge.”

“And that was when I slugged him and took an AD,” Kara nods, subdued. “I couldn’t say anything about the real reasons without it getting back to the Old Man, and I just....” Her voice falters. “My feelings had already killed one man I cared about. I couldn’t lose anyone else.”

For a long, long moment, Lee just stands there, staring at her. Eventually, he manages words: “Why are you telling me this? Why now?”

For her part, Kara summons a melancholy, rueful smile. “It’s the end of the world, Lee. I thought I should confess my sins.”

Before he can respond to that, she’s reaching up to yank the canopy closed, and barking to the catapult crew: “Set!”

Kara Thrace, flawed human being, has gone back into storage. Starbuck has a mission to fly.

Writer’s post-scripts: A short scene, written mainly to fix a couple of grievous plot-holes left from the miniseries and clearly establish the differences between canon and my AU.
  1] In canon, Starbuck was Zak Adama’s instructor during his type-qualification on the Viper, so their being openly romantically involved flies in the face of every real-world military regulation and precedent regarding the integrity of the chain of command, fraternisation between the ranks, and teacher/student relationships — regs and precedents which exist specifically to prevent incidents like what happened in canon. Colonial mores might be different, but even so, the potential for naked nepotism inherent to that kind of relationship would almost certainly make it Not On. So, change #1 is made: Zak was an unexceptional but fully-qualified nugget assigned to the BattleStar Bellerophon for his first ‘cruise’, and Starbuck transferred onto the ship later, as a more experienced and senior pilot. They weren’t even in the same squadron, much less superior and subordinate.
  2] Knowledgeable fans have noted, numerous times, that by all laws of logic and natural consequence Starbuck’s blatant contempt flouting of military protocol and discipline would have seen her slung out of almost any professional military you care to name far before the point in her career that we saw at the start of the Miniseries. Here, it did. In this take on things, she knocked her CAG’s block off when she realised his role in Zak’s death, was promptly arrested for assault, then accepted a plea-deal that got her out of the Colonial Fleet soonest, rather than stay in the same uniform that Major Makros’ conduct had so befouled in her eyes. By the time of the miniseries/Cylon attack, she’s a civilian contractor working on the museum conversion of Galactica — a job she got partly through Commander Adama’s influence, since he remained her patron rabbi even after she left the CF. When it all hit the fan, she found herself drafted back into the cockpit only by dint of direst military emergency — and even then, she left the service by being stripped of her officer’s tabs and handed a premature and less-than-honourable discharge, so she’s ineligible to ever again hold a commission. A warrant, on the other hand, gets her devastating flying skills into a cockpit without burdening (inflicting?) her/them with command responsibilities.

For those who care, the Viper Mk.II I envisage here (artwork forthcoming Real Soon Now™) mounts the following weapons systems:
» Two machine-gun turrets, each mounting two 15mm quad-barrel MGs similar to the GAU-19 (with some inspiration also taken from the WW2 13mm MG131); one turret is mounted under the chin, covering the forward fire-arc, with the other above and behind the cockpit with a 360° field-of-fire. In BattleTech terms, these are more-or-less MGA2s, purely defensive/anti-missile systems; Renegade Tech 2.0 details are ‘forthcoming’.
» Each wing holds a small Gauss cannon (equivalent to a Magshot in BT terms, or a GR3 in RT2.0) with a ton of ammunition (currently 83% capacity). These are the main dog-fighting weapons, but projectile flight-times mean that hit-rates plummet at anything beyond point-blank range.
» Six stations for external stores like Javelin missiles, bombs, etc.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2014, 06:46:37 by Trace Coburn »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2014, 22:27:15 »
Very nice to see more   O0
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #37 on: 20 October 2014, 16:19:46 »
GOOOOD stuff :)

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 20 October 2014, 17:50:34 »
Hmm, Scorpions and Spectrals? What exactly are the Rag Tag Fleet running from in this version?

Love this series, Trace, keep it up. O0

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 21 October 2014, 12:20:05 »
The implication is pretty clear that the Cylons got their hands on Battletech armor, and started throwing nigh unkillable fighters at the Colonies.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 24 October 2014, 01:45:15 »
The implication is pretty clear that the Cylons got their hands on Battletech armor, and started throwing nigh unkillable fighters at the Colonies.

On another forum Trace pretty much said the Scorpion is a drone fighter, Spectral is a VDNI manned (or rather, cylon'ed) ASF. Given it is Cylons... odds are the pilots also resurrect when you manage to splash one.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #41 on: 24 October 2014, 08:20:19 »
On another forum Trace pretty much said the Scorpion is a drone fighter, Spectral is a VDNI manned (or rather, cylon'ed) ASF. Given it is Cylons... odds are the pilots also resurrect when you manage to splash one.
  Well, they’ve been told they’ll be resurrected....  }:)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2014, 16:05:22 »
  Well, they’ve been told they’ll be resurrected....  }:)

;) >:D  says it all
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Lessons in Media Relations, pt.1
« Reply #43 on: 26 June 2017, 08:22:41 »
Author’s note: this one is kind of insisting I write it, no matter what I want to concentrate on.  It’s a lot less polished than I normally prefer, and really more of an out-take from Ense Petit Placidam than anything else, but I might as well run it up the flag-pole and see if anyone salutes....

CASTILLO BA-5, ENSENADA
Outside Nuevo Buenos Aires
August 14, 2827

Hammer doesn’t know where she’s going; she’s not sure she cares, as long as it’s away from the room behind her.  She can’t even see the hallway clearly through the tears, and she knows her face is red, and that seeing her in a mess like this will probably hurt her professional image in the eyes of any enlisted who see her, but she’s not sure she cares.  All she can really see or feel is the churning mass in the pit of her stomach, the nausea and grief and horror and rage left behind by the imagery she just watched.  She can vaguely hear footsteps behind her, and Olivia’s voice saying something, but she doesn’t stop, doesn’t heed the words.

Somewhere along the way, she runs into someone.  The collision jolts them both, and she looks up to see who she hit.  He’s a young Ensenadan lad, wearing Fleet white-over-field-grey, half a head taller than her, vaguely cute in a gangly sort of way... and as he sees the state she’s in, his expression is shifting from surprise to puzzlement to... contempt?

“What’s wrong, Army – did someone steal your dollie?” he smirks.

Her memory never files the next second or two.  When she finds she’s stopped moving, the Fleet boy is pinned back against the corridor wall, her forearm across his throat like a bar of battlesteel, and all she can do is keep leaning ever-further into the chokehold and think how, sooner or later, the increasing pressure will collapse his windpipe.  And she’s not sure she cares.

“Triss, no!”  Liv’s half-tackling her from behind, frantically yanking on her arm to lift the choke-grip, urgently hissing into her ear.  “Boss-chica, lay offHe gets the message, dammit!”

Kuznetsov doesn’t recognise the voice she hears, a guttural snarl a wolf would cringe from.  “This ****** -

“He’s not the one who needs killing!” her CSO shouts.

Somehow, that reaches her.  Still panting, the red haze of murder-fury still fogging her vision, the blonde MechWarrior somehow stops herself increasing the pressure on the boy’s trachea and backs off a centimetre or two to look him over.  His eyes are wide and terrified, his face rapidly colouring from lack of air.

“... gkt ... grk ...”

Liv’s right.  Killing this loudmouthed little cabrón won’t do anything for Mandy.  Her forearm pulls back half a centimeter or so, enough to let air trickle back into the shitheel’s lungs but still keeping him pinned.  Gone is the feral growl; now she finds herself in a mote of clarity, an eye in the storm of her turmoil, and her tone is near-clinical.  “There’s an old Army saying, Fleetie: ‘It’s a lot harder to get your teeth kicked in if you keep your ****** mouth shut’.  D’you hear there?” she adds mockingly.

The boy nods frantically, still goggle-eyed.

She pushes back from the wall, letting the Fleetie collapse to one knee and start frantically whooping in air.  As her vision clears, she sees several others standing a few metres down the corridor, most of them also in Fleet white-over-field-grey; the leaders appear to be a brunette in CPN midnight-blues and a silver-haired man in the field- and pale-grey of Fleet Strike Infantry with Sergeant-Major’s badges on his sleeves.  She turns a flat gaze on the Marine.  “If you’re going to bring a puppy in here, you need to keep him on a shorter leash.”

“Yes, ma’am!” he barks, nodding crisply.

With the anger and adrenaline fading, Kuznetsov can feel the emptiness of fatigue rushing in to replace it, and she sways a little.  Liv catches her by one arm, gently steadying her pilot.  “Captain, how about you head back to quarters and get some rest?  I’ll bring you some chow.”

“Yeah.  Yeah, that’s... that’s a good idea.  Thanks, Liv.”

— * — * — * — * —

The loudmouth massages the bruises already flowering on his throat as Kuznetsov’s form retreats, and he carefully waits until she turns a corner before speaking again.  “What the ****** is her problem?”

Olivia Bella’s body was the primary instrument of her profession even before she joined the Union Army, and she’s always taken care to keep it in absolute top condition.  The boy’s eyes widen again as she hauls him to his feet, and half a centimetre off the ground to boot, before slamming him back against the wall again with a tooth-rattling thump.  “Her problem, Midshipman... Markov, is that she’s the commander of my BattleMech company.  And we just finished watching gun-camera footage of Pog troops hauling one of our pilots out of her cockpit, dousing her in inferno gel, and burning her alive!”

Markov goes grey and goggle-eyed, jaw sagging.  The Cylon woman swallows loudly, carefully not meeting Liv’s gaze.  The Marine turns a glare on his wayward underling that makes paired PPCs look like laser-pointers.

After a moment or two, Markov looks up, horror and shame warring across his face.  “Jesus.  I... I ****** up bad this time, didn’t I, Galindez?”

“Ya think?” growls the Marine.

It’s the names, and that phrase – and seeing one of the Fleeties beyond the group aiming a trivee camera at the whole tableau – that finally makes things click in Liv’s mind, explains the nagging sense of familiarity she’s had about these guys since she saw them.  Somehow, she manages not to react to the realisation, but she’s still righteous pissed enough to deliver one last jab before she goes.  “I don’t know why you Fleetie ****** are here, but if you’re going to be staying much longer, do yourselves a favour and be ****** invisible until you’re done.  Got it?”

— * — * — * — * —

Back at their shared quarters – and trying not to think how many of the other rooms in the company bay are empty – Bella sets her platter on the desk and reaches into the bottom bunk to touch her pilot’s shoulder.  Damn, the Hammer really was zapped – she barely got her boots off before she laid down!  “Boss-chica, food’s here.”

“Thanks, Liv.”  Scrubbing sleep from her eyes with one hand and pushing her threadbare plush rabbit to the back of her bunk with the other, Kuznetsov swings up to sit on the edge of the bunk and accepts the tray Bella offers her before also sitting on the bunk’s edge.  The battalion cafeteria actually does decent all-day breakfasts – Bella got her pilot one of the mixto sandwiches she likes, with apple-and-raisin blinchiki on the side and café con leche – and the Captain disposes of her first blinchik in two bites before her CSO can even reach for one of her own chorizo-bacon-and-egg burritos.  “How badly overheated was the Sar-Major over me bracing his guy?”

“Once I told him why you were so worked up?  He took the kid aside and gave him a Marauder-sized boot up the ass.  With luck, it’ll take.”

“He’s lucky you came along, Liv,” Kuznetsov says softly.  “I... I really don’t know if I would’ve stopped.  Thank you.”

“Es nada, muchacha,” Bella returns, gently squeezing her friend’s shoulder with her free hand.  “But there is a ****** huge complication.  Did you recognise those guys?”

“I wasn’t exactly running in the green, Liv.  What’d I miss?”

“That guy wasn’t actually a Fleetie.  He’s an actor, his name’s Daniil Olivares.  From that crime-show Section Six, about the Fleet cops?  Sarah (Twelve) Grantham and Ramón Vostrikov were with him, too – they must be doing some kind of location shoot to cap off the fifth season.”

Kuznetsov’s hand wavers, then slowly lowers her half-finished sandwich back onto the platter.  “Oh, ****** me, that was a civilian I clobbered?”

“And their camera-guys got the whole thing, too,” Bella nods, again squeezing her friend’s shoulder.  “Better make the most of that last meal, boss-chica, because Colonel Féliz is gonna chow down on both of us when he hears about this.  And not in the fun way.”
« Last Edit: 26 June 2017, 08:38:45 by Trace Coburn »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Lessons in Media Relations, pt.2
« Reply #44 on: 12 July 2017, 21:23:32 »
  They’ve just finished eating when a hand timidly raps on the mostly-closed door.  “Uh... male personnel on deck?” a familiar voice finally manages.  It sounds like even his hair is cringing.

Kuznetsov quickly glances behind her, making sure Mister Snuggly is safely out of sight behind her pillow, then stands to face the new arrival, knowing she’s gone stony-faced and not especially bothered by it.  Olivia, bless her, makes a show of joining her, standing just behind her shoulder in silent support.  “Safe to enter.  Who is it?”  As if I don’t already know.

‘Midshipman Markov’ peers around the door like he’s expecting to get his head shot off.  “Captain?  I... came to apologise.”

“Indeed?”  Hammer controls her surprise at that, mostly.  I would’ve expected a Habana type like him would have scuttled off to whine to anyone who’d listen as soon as he stopped pissing his pants.  Still, she’s not feeling inclined to coddle his tender sensibilities.  “Then what’s stopping you?”

He flinches again, taking it like a body-blow.  “Captain, your CSO told me what you’d just seen... I am so horribly sorry for what I said.  If I’d known what was really going on, I never would’ve make a remark like that —”

“Then why did you?” is the remorseless response.

“Because, ma’am, it was I thought my character would say in the circumstances.  In and out of character, I’m sick of feeling like a dukh and wanted to do something fit in with the others, even if it was just joining in on the usual inter-service shit-slinging,” he says, shame-faced but manfully gritting his jaw to keep going.  “Captain, my character is the only one who wasn’t a combat veteran before he joined Team Galindez, and it doesn’t get better when you talk about the actual people, either.  Timofey Markov went straight into Section Six after completing his branch training, and I tried to enlist three times, before, during, and after finishing my acting degree!  But they kept rejecting me because I was born in the wrong part of the month —”

“The Treaty restrictions,” Kuznetsov nods.  Without the formal declaration of a state of war — a declaration that the USR can’t make without the approval of its protectors in the Star League government, who aren’t around to give it — the Union can’t expand its military manpower beyond explicitly-defined limits.  As much as Union governments might have skirted, shaded, and bent those limits in the last thirteen years, a naked violation of the Treaty of Virginia would almost certainly draw punitive action from the squadron of Caspars currently defending Massachusetts against the Salernans.  And after the Cylon Affair showed us what happens when you kick your own guard-dog, nobody in the Union is eager to end up following Baron Große Prärie’s example.  “It’s the law, Mister Olivares, not anything that could be called your fault.”

“I know, ma’am, but still, I’ve never felt like I deserve to be among people who’ve done so much for the Union; they’ve never held it against me off-camera, but whenever combat comes up in the script, there’s always this... knowledge between them that leaves me on the outside —”

Olivia sighs, steps forward, and firmly smacks the young man upside the back of his head – like she’s seen ‘Sergeant-Major Galindez’ do to his subordinates a hundred times – before resuming her position at Hammer’s shoulder.  Olivares flinches and goes silent as she glares up at him: “You actually envy stariki like your co-stars because they’ve all had the ‘privilege’ of getting shot at?  That’s exactly the kind of dukh thinking that makes ‘old men’ treat you like a ‘ghost’ in the first place!”

The actor opens his mouth to respond, then snaps it shut again.

Despite herself, Hammer feels a touch of grudging respect for the boy.  He came here to take his lumps, and he’s doing a better job of it than some of the MechWarriors I’ve had to chew out in my time.  “Very well, Mister Olivares.  I was... distraught, you had a rush of shit to the brain, and neither of us covered ourselves in glory.  If you remember your manners, I won’t lay hands on you again.  Deal?”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“Now, let’s hope the Colonel sees it that way,” she adds ruefully, flicking fingers across the chevron-and-two-bars on her sleeve.  “Once he sees that footage and hears your bosses scream about my ‘unnecessarily rough treatment’ of one of their precious star performers, I’ll be lucky to keep this ‘hollow broadhead’ on my sleeve.”

“Uh, ma’am?  My bosses, the producers, the writers, even Ramón – they all loved it.”

She blinks at that.  Then again.  “Excuse me?”

“We came out here to shoot the fifth-season finale - a three-episode capstone to character- and story-arcs that have been developing since we first rolled cameras back in ’22.  My character’s the resident dumbass rookie, just like I am, and they all agree this is a great teachable moment for him.  And it helps drive home something we’ve been trying to emphasise all along: the show is about a team of Fleet investigators.  We might have an occasional gunfight with criminals, but we’re not in the combat arms, and we don’t go through a tenth of what the people ‘on the sharp end’ have to go through.”  Olivares makes a rueful face and adds, “Besides, Captain, I basically asked to get my ass kicked, and you gave me what I deserved.  ‘Talk shit, get hit’, right?”

“It’s... a little more complex in the military, Mister Olivares.  Especially when a civilian is involved.”

“Ma’am, by the time we’re done pitching this to your battalion commander, he’ll be cutting his own throat if he does anything to you over this.”

If he provably does anything, maybe.  Hammer knows that even without a call to the Army Legal Services Branch, the arcane processes of Army bureaucracy allow almost unlimited avenues for a canny senior officer to unofficially make his displeasure known to subordinates, but she doesn’t voice that.  Olivares’ manner has flipped completely around from whipped-puppy to bouncing-around can-we-play golden Labrador, and she doesn’t want to see him cringing again just yet.  “I hope you’re right.  By the sound of it, you and your people want to use the footage from earlier?”

“Yes, ma’am.  The writers are working on follow-up scenes, and they might ask you to be part of them –”

“What’s the pay-scale?” Olivia chips in, suddenly intent.

“Ma’am?  I, uh, I thought the Army was extending our production ‘full cooperation’?”

“Maybe, but that doesn’t mean you get to put us on screen for free.  Do you not recognise me at all, Mister Olivares?  That hurts, you know: I’m an active and paid-up member of APE, and I’ve trademarked my name and likeness.  And if you want to put Hammer on-screen, I’ll have her set up the same way by the end of the week.  That means if your people want us on-screen, we’ll have to be paid guest-stars, Mister Olivares.”

“I, uh... we’re a union shop anyway, so that sounds fair to me, ma’am, but I’m not Legal or Casting & Payroll.”

“Then let’s go talk to them, shall we?” Bella’s smile has an odd, predatory note to it, one Hammer’s only ever seen in their BattleROM cockpit-footage – almost always when they have a Sally dead-to-rights.  Captain Kuznetsov barely has time to slip her boots on before her CSO drags their somewhat bewildered-looking guest out into the corridor, demanding he lead them to where the Section Six people have set themselves up.

Author’s note: APE = ‘Alianza de Profesiones de Entretenimiento’ or Entertainment Professions Alliance, the Union equivalent of America’s SAG-AFTRA or the British Equity.  And yes, Olivia became a member when she did her first shoot, ‘A’-rating notwithstanding.  As the next installment or two will highlight, her filmography might be a little more, erm, ‘colourful’ than some others, but to Union eyes she’s a no-shit actress.