Author Topic: Masakari Costume for GenCon '13  (Read 47719 times)

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
Masakari Costume for GenCon '13
« on: 14 December 2012, 19:38:57 »
Well, time to start getting ready for my first GenCon....8 months away. Having never seen an adult 'Mech costume anywhere I've decided to set a standard. Over the next several months I'll be logging away the creation of what I hope to be a 6-7 foot tall Masakari, modeled after David White's superb Mechwarrior concept art. Moving joints for fluid-ish motion and hopefully lighting (along with fans for cooling the "pilot" of course) will be included, and possibly an opening cockpit if I can figure it out. I present to you the first patterns for the upper and lower legs. 'Ere we go!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121214_190331_zps99d0d507.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121214_190313_zps8b79e384.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121214_190203_zps4225cef0.jpg

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
Re: Masakari Costume for GenCon '13
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2012, 20:13:16 »
Sounds very interesting and I look forward to seeing it complete.  Keep us updated.  O0

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2012, 10:38:21 »
Awesome idea man O0.  My only question is: how will you construct the back-canted legs of the Masakari?  I'm interested to see how you approach it so keep us in the loop! [drool]
Save the Humans.

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2012, 12:43:19 »
I can't take credit for the idea, I found this gem online and have just decided to scale the basic design up and add fancy bits to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4pXz_awa8

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2012, 13:09:30 »
I can't take credit for the idea, I found this gem online and have just decided to scale the basic design up and add fancy bits to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4pXz_awa8
Good video.

Well, time to start getting ready for my first GenCon....8 months away. Having never seen an adult 'Mech costume anywhere I've decided to set a standard. Over the next several months I'll be logging away the creation of what I hope to be a 6-7 foot tall Masakari, modeled after David White's superb Mechwarrior concept art.

David White's Warhawk is nice, but I prefer older Masakari:

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2012, 15:00:19 »
It will certainly have elements of the original in it. I'm thinking about making the LRM launcher shoulder mounted like in most of the TROs, and the feet will definitely be more TRO-like since I'll need room on the inside facings to attach my feet.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2012, 15:04:30 by Ion Raptor »

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2012, 21:24:28 »
This sounds like it is going to be epic, although you definitely have your work cut out for you.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2012, 00:11:56 »
"Cut" is definitely going to be the operating word for this little project. I won't want to look at box cutters again after this once I'm done. Have a small update:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121215_163047_zpsb83987a8.jpg

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2012, 09:43:06 »

I remember another video I saw where a kid made a Madcat costume.  I don't know if this is the same kid or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.  May I ask "Why the Masakari?"  "Was it the first one you chose, or did you go through different ideas before settling on this one?"  And "How many pounds of Duct Tape do you think it will use?" :D
Save the Humans.

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2012, 10:01:57 »
Three reasons for the Masakari:

1. I really like the Mechwarrior design for it.
2. It's boxy and could easily hold a person's entire upper torso without discomfort.
3. The lower legs are the exact same as a Daishi, so I could make one of those as well with only half of the work involved.

As for the tape, probably 2-3 rolls of it, so not that bad. It's actually a multi-step process I used for my Soundwave costume a few years back. The basic shape is held together with masking tape before having the cracks sealed with hot glue. After that it's wrapped completely in industrial gum-tape. Once that dries it's hard as rock and difficult to accidentally damage.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2012, 22:53:02 »
3. The lower legs are the exact same as a Daishi, so I could make one of those as well with only half of the work involved....

I am honestly surprised you did not start with the Dire Wolf.  It is a much more iconic design than the lighter Warhawk and seems like it would be easier to fit into with the larger body and higher cockpit placement.

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2012, 23:21:08 »
Thought about it, but didn't want to have to deal with the rounded cockpit right off the bat. I'm already racking my brain on how to do the semi-circles on the legs properly.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2012, 23:54:44 »
Thought about it, but didn't want to have to deal with the rounded cockpit right off the bat. I'm already racking my brain on how to do the semi-circles on the legs properly.

Well, assuming you could not find something about the right shape to cannibalize, you should still be able to fabricate a wire frame easily enough and then build a shell of some sort over that.  Paper mâché or a similar fabric composite would be fairly easy to work with, and there are plenty of other good options like fiberglass you could use if you wanted something more durable (a combination with a wire frame, paper mâché primary form, and fiberglass outer shell would probably work well).  Cardboard stringers might also work, but they would be more limited than wire because they do not pass each other as well even with notches to fit them together.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2012, 01:18:04 »
I wish I could find it..but I remember there was a young woman who, a couple years ago, did an articulated
Timber Wolf costume for a video gaming convention. Maybe someone here can roosterboy you, Ion Raptor.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 23 December 2012, 09:25:54 »
I wish I could find it..but I remember there was a young woman who, a couple years ago, did an articulated
Timber Wolf costume for a video gaming convention. Maybe someone here can roosterboy you, Ion Raptor.

I'm the larger type so I can ask this: was he a larger kid and he had a video of it being assembled at his house?  that's the one I remember.
Save the Humans.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 December 2012, 11:32:11 »
I'm the larger type so I can ask this: was he a larger kid and he had a video of it being assembled at his house?  that's the one I remember.

No...it was a rather nice looking young woman. She had trouble with the leg mechanisms breaking down at the con, and had to switch them to stationary, so it ended up looking like it was floating...I know it was posted on these forums, but I do not
know if it was before or after the crash/migration....

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #17 on: 26 December 2012, 03:00:24 »
This one?

Found it googling ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2012, 03:07:52 »
Yes, DarkISI, that one!

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2012, 12:00:53 »
Now that's cool, though I'm wondering what the strings are for.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 December 2012, 00:10:28 »
Now that's cool, though I'm wondering what the strings are for.

It looks to me like they may have been intended to be used for moving the legs which would enplane why they were abandoned and the whole thing wound up floating.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #21 on: 27 December 2012, 07:38:27 »
Ion Raptor, any particular paint scheme or faction badging going on this thing?

To the patient go the spoils

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #22 on: 27 December 2012, 12:36:28 »
Haven't thought of any yet. I figured I'd stay away from actual camo schemes since their job is to hide the outline of a figure. I might be a smart-aleck and make a "Pony Pulverizer" badge with a leg stepping on one the tiny horses. Other than that I'm open for suggestions, though I'm leaning more towards a neutral scheme. Too dark and it will hide details, too light and it will be difficult to get good coverage.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #23 on: 27 December 2012, 15:05:32 »
A light grey wouldn't hide the highlights and you throw Wolf or Smoke Jaguar emblems on it.

To the patient go the spoils

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2012, 15:54:33 »
Perhaps Clan Wolf Beta or Kappa Galaxy would be best for that then. Get a bit of color mixed in with a mostly gray scheme. I know I won't be doing Jaguar colors though.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2012, 16:15:53 »
It looks to me like they may have been intended to be used for moving the legs which would enplane why they were abandoned and the whole thing wound up floating.

As I remember, that is exactly what happened. They were there for moving the legs, and there ended up some difficulties
midway through the con...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 28 December 2012, 00:46:42 »
Haven't thought of any yet. I figured I'd stay away from actual camo schemes since their job is to hide the outline of a figure. I might be a smart-aleck and make a "Pony Pulverizer" badge with a leg stepping on one the tiny horses. Other than that I'm open for suggestions, though I'm leaning more towards a neutral scheme. Too dark and it will hide details, too light and it will be difficult to get good coverage.

I would start by picking a faction (in my case Clan Ghost Bear), and then picking a parade scheme that will be easy enough to do and colorful enough to be noticed (Beta or Delta Galaxy would work well).

Another option would be to go for broke with the Nova Cat's Xi Galaxy and their psychedelic paint schemes.

As I remember, that is exactly what happened. They were there for moving the legs, and there ended up some difficulties
midway through the con...

Heh, called it. ;D

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2012, 10:25:34 »
Tag to stay updated  ;D
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Ion Raptor

• Sergeant
  • Lyran Love
« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2012, 23:05:38 »
Little update. Took me forever to get this done, started and restarted 3 times different ways before settling on just using cardboard. Even after that I had to restart this cardboard one 3-4 times. Yay? Nay?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121229_225743_zps8f1991d6.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/IonRaptor/Battletech/Masakari/20121229_225841_zps8e66df14.jpg

edit: wow I just realized how much tape I used on that.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2012, 23:07:43 by Ion Raptor »

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2012, 09:31:11 »
This one?

Found it googling ;)

*points frantically*  I was at that AKON!  I saw that costume!  The very same one.  But me no havy camera that time around :'(

When I saw her walking around in the skywalks near the Mall of the Americas in Dallas, her legs were working just fine.  She was very nice if you could hear her :)
« Last Edit: 30 December 2012, 09:36:49 by RedMarauder »
Save the Humans.