Author Topic: Your Favorite Unresolved Mystery that is probably destined to stay that way  (Read 38346 times)

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
The secret ingredients of Kuritan Fried Chicken...?

Seriously though...Jennifer Winson definitly and Arthur's fate as well...

Hadn't heard about the Challenge mystery...

Part of me would like the wolverines/trube to be laid to rest though...

Lagomorph

• Corporal
Got a sketchy one that I'm not sure was ever explained. In one of the novels set a few years before the Jihad, a Steiner (or perhaps it was Davion) warship was destroyed/disappeard mysteriously. I don't recall them ever coming back to this. Once the Jihad happened, i presumed it was the WoB who did it, but I've never had that formally confirmed.

Sorry I'm a little scant on details for this. I read the book years ago, but can't recall exactly which one (the downside when you've read the bulk of the BT and MW:DA books).

Anyone know if that was ever followed up?

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Not a big story line,,,but when task force serpent was making it's way to the HW's and preparing to jump,,,a ship's tech picked up a "mystery jumpship"or EMP wave or such.I've never been able to find out that lil'anwser,but "someone" was tailing em'.  ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Got a sketchy one that I'm not sure was ever explained. In one of the novels set a few years before the Jihad, a Steiner (or perhaps it was Davion) warship was destroyed/disappeard mysteriously. I don't recall them ever coming back to this. Once the Jihad happened, i presumed it was the WoB who did it, but I've never had that formally confirmed.

Sorry I'm a little scant on details for this. I read the book years ago, but can't recall exactly which one (the downside when you've read the bulk of the BT and MW:DA books).

Anyone know if that was ever followed up?

I am too lazy to search for it, but I believe it was LAS Arthur Steiner-Davion, which was destroyed by the WoBS Immortal Spirit. The WoB cruiser damaged its engine core and lingered at the edge of the system undetected for two or three years, until Blakists attacked the system openly during the Jihad. Then it was destroyed itself.

I believe details were published in Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents or somewhere...

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
Was Simon Cameron assassinated?

And if so, by who?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Was Simon Cameron assassinated?

And if so, by who?
Historical: Liberation of Terra states on page 21 that evidence gathered by SLIC confirmed that the mining drone involved in Simon Cameron's death had been deliberately tampered with, with the report indicating that a nation-state, probably either the Draconis Combine and Lyran Commonwealth based on geographical location and technical ability, was the most likely culprit, although it also mentions the Rim Worlds Republic as a possibly but unlikely culprit. There's also some commentary from Victor Steiner-Davion expanding on the original message.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Jayof9s

• Captain
Both have been mentioned by others but the two that have bugged me the most:

The assassinations of Morgan Hasek-Davion Arthur S-D.

With Morgan the whole thing just never made sense to me - people benefited from his death, but I'd like to at least pretend the people that would have benefited were smart enough to realize they should have tried to have him killed after he'd beaten the Jaguars and not before.

And with Arthur, why they bothered to open a loose end by having him wake up somewhere only to never expand on that plot point is mostly just annoying.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr

With Morgan the whole thing just never made sense to me - people benefited from his death, but I'd like to at least pretend the people that would have benefited were smart enough to realize they should have tried to have him killed after he'd beaten the Jaguars and not before.

Matter of opportunity and price, maybe? It's easier to find henchmen to take away a successful Davion general, and cheaper to pay them, than to assassinate a universal hero who has put an end to the most evil foe of the whole Inner Sphere?

My favoritre unresolved mystery as well  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Marwynn

• Major
You're assuming people care about Serpent. I could see a plotting person profit from the news that the Clan Counter-Invasion failed monstrously.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Green Ghosts?

Was expecting that that IE3 would finally put some decent light on them, but somehow it didn't happened  :(

I'm pretty sure the Green Ghosts now belong to the RotS.  No one else has access to the combination of tech and would want to launch probing missions in that area of space.  They are probably a collection of lost clanners, WoB defectors, and other malcontents that the RotS controls loosely and funds/equips.  They likely get scant details beyond, go visit system XYZ, break or take what you want and report back.  They're sort of the anti-Fidelis.

This is totally speculative of course

To the patient go the spoils

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
I would have to say that I would like to see the Wolverine's mystery laid to rest so that a new mystery could take it's place. As for my favorite per the thread title: Green Ghosts. I hope they stay shrouded in mystery myself. It's nice to have some mysteries resolved and others stay mysterious. It keeps hope alive no matter the mystery.

Alex Keller

• Captain
What happens to Stacy Church and the Black Widow Company after the Ruins of Gabriel? She tells Maeve she's working on a "side project" that seems to be involved with Berith's Opacus Venatori, then she's never heard from or seen again. Berith cleansed the Venatori from his ranks on Isesaki just prior to Stacy's last message. We know Berith survives because he leads the remaining Shadow Divisions into hiding. Stacy's whereabouts and the fate of the Widows remain a mystery.

Alys Rousette-Marik's Battlemech remains a close second for me. Seriously, we know every other "major player's" Mech but no one knows what one of the major heroes of the Jihad pilots?
« Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 10:35:17 by Alex Keller »

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
One that I think increesingly many view as 'solved' that to me is still unsolved and I'd like to see stay that was is Legend Killer's tonnage and spcifications.  For decades, the notion that it was an assualt mech was just a wild ass guess, or made by losers who couldn't stand getting their ass kicked by a regular old Rifleman.  But, with the revelation that the Royal Rifleman fits with the Legend Killer-legend, a lot of people have jumped on that as the answer.  To me, its still speculitive, and for myself I'd like it to stay that way; the notion that Legend Killer was a super SLDF Royal mech takes away from some of the awesomeness that Noton and Justin had.

Asside from that, most of the good ones have already been mentioned, though a few of them are similarly strongly hinted at like Legend Killer. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
What "Carlos Marik" are you talking about since there are two men of this name?

The former.  The Captain-General.

Captain-General Carlos Marik probably simply died in Canopian exile, be it either due to old age or Canopian government disposed of him ... Or perhaps he commited suicide. But no big mystery here.

Most probably.  But when heads of government enter exile in the real world, we usually know where they've landed (if not their exact address), and they usually lead some opposition or at least remain in the public eye.

Carlos just disappears with his last known location being the MoC.   That opens up possibilities beyond a quiet death offscreen.

For example, we know he escaped with one loyal "ship".  What if that "ship" was a warship?  What happened to it?  What did Carlos do with his warship before he met his end?

Or, instead of leading a public opposition, did Carlos ally his assets with one of the underground FWL/Marik boogeymen of that time, like House Selaj or the Sian-Mariks?  Is some measure of the FWL's lack of unity and political fracture lines due to the machinations of someone like Carlos pulling strings from the shadows?

I'm not saying that any of these things happened or are even probable.  I'm just saying there's a blank page in the canon FWL history that some interesting stuff could be written into.

FWIW...
« Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 12:02:30 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
What was Interconnectedness Unlimited really up to for all those years? Is Elric von Steffelbus V really dead, or just ruling from the tomb?

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Where did the Tomahawk Omni come from? What happened to it? Why was it so similar to the Dire Wolf? Why was it not put into production (although the previous question kinda answers that)?
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
The original Red Corsair story, i.e., Katrina Steiner's exile in the Periphery and the recovery of Black Box technology.

The first part of a Stackpole-penned story about Katrina's time as the Red Corsair appeared in the LE hardcover of A Time of War.  Apparently the rest will appear on Battlecorps sometime
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
One that I think increesingly many view as 'solved' that to me is still unsolved and I'd like to see stay that was is Legend Killer's tonnage and spcifications.  For decades, the notion that it was an assualt mech was just a wild ass guess, or made by losers who couldn't stand getting their ass kicked by a regular old Rifleman.  But, with the revelation that the Royal Rifleman fits with the Legend Killer-legend, a lot of people have jumped on that as the answer.  To me, its still speculitive, and for myself I'd like it to stay that way; the notion that Legend Killer was a super SLDF Royal mech takes away from some of the awesomeness that Noton and Justin had.

Asside from that, most of the good ones have already been mentioned, though a few of them are similarly strongly hinted at like Legend Killer.

Actually? I would like it to be canonized that Grey Noton was just That Good. I mean, the Edge Save Rule in AToW Companion even
makes it work. He just had a very high edge,a nd very good piloting and gunnery skills is all.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
As much as I'd like to know of Arthur Steiner-Davion being possibly the vile villain Devlin Stone, there is the question of whatever happened to the Comstar/Catholic/Capellan trueborn Steiner-Davion.

However, I'm more concerned about Panpour with possibly connections to Interconnected Unlimited and Count Elric von Steffelbus V or a secret warship fleet. That is a mystery that I'd like to see resolved, but I fear the revelation to find out it was only just a ruse.

Plus, I'd like to know if Quintus Allard (the Elder) was the Bounty Hunter when he was younger. Then again, I'd also like to know when Quintus Allard finally died. 

Lord Harlock

• Captain
And one last mystery that shall never probably be answered, whatever happened to the FCS/FSS Andrew Davion?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Speaking of Quintus Allard, what about his grandson, Quintus Allard-Liao?  Where did he ever disappear to?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
I hope Quintus Allard-Liao has absolutely nothing to do with Ghosts, Stones, or St. Ives.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
How about this one: Why do TPTB feel the need to publish whole BOOKS on things like this and never provide answers?

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
1) What happen to the FSS Andrew Davion. Left Kathil to never to be seen again.
2) What is up with Challenger systems in Panpour. What were they doing? What does Victor know about it.
3) What is the secret buried of Luthien that the WOB was looking for.
4) Whatever happen to Authur and did Victor find out and keep it hidden.
5) What secrets did the WOB have that no-one knows about yet.
6) Who is Devlin Stone really.

My favorite six

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
How about this one: Why do TPTB feel the need to publish whole BOOKS on things like this and never provide answers?

Because however much it aggrivates us, such mysteries keep us coming back for more in the hope that someday they will be answered.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
The first part of a Stackpole-penned story about Katrina's time as the Red Corsair appeared in the LE hardcover of A Time of War. 

I know.  It was called Vanish.  That's why I wrote "Katrina Steiner's exile in the Periphery and the recovery of Black Box technology", not the events leading up to her exile that are in Vanish

Apparently the rest will appear on Battlecorps sometime

Given the record on mysteries coming to resolution in the BT universe, I'm not betting on it.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major

Seconded.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
I'll throw mine out there.. the identity of the mysterious mehwarrior piloting the Archer at the Battle of Crossing.  You know, the DEST mechwarrior who participated into the orbital drop right into the Dragoons' position. Inside the caldera. The one who owned Natasha Kerensky.  The one who was beating Jaime Wolf until his plot armor saved him.  You know, HER.  Not only was she uber and awesome, she was a female Draconis mechwarrior.  Not only that, female mechwarrior DEST team member.  And this is in the days prior to Theo' reforms.  There's one hell of a story untold about how she got into that dropship over Crossing.

Wait. Where is this? Sounds like something I totally want to read. I've always liked the pre-CI Dragoons. (Though after they got Outreach they went uber-cheeseball and I lost interest.)

Speaking of Quintus Allard, what about his grandson, Quintus Allard-Liao?  Where did he ever disappear to?

This. After just 1! line in the second Capellan Solution book we never hear of him again.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wait. Where is this? Sounds like something I totally want to read. I've always liked the pre-CI Dragoons. (Though after they got Outreach they went uber-cheeseball and I lost interest.)

This. After just 1! line in the second Capellan Solution book we never hear of him again.

It's from the NAIS War Atlas of the 4th SW.. also reiterated to a slight degree in the WD sourcebook iirc.  The Battle of Crossing is pretty epic, if you're not familiar with it you'll definately do yourself a favor by reading up on it.  It was the culmination of the whirlwind that was just starting on Misery.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Okay. I have both of the NAIS books just never actually read them. Just to painful to see all the hurt my CapCon went through.

Battle of Crossing? Hm. Anyone else think this should be the next Historical Turning Point PDF?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register