Author Topic: Scare the hell outta my players  (Read 10389 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Scare the hell outta my players
« on: 25 October 2013, 20:30:04 »
So I'm planning on starting a 4th edition d&d campaign on Halloween - but I need some scary ideas.
I want to have a mad horror vibe and themes revolved around fear, etc.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking dungeon delving with a real undercurrent of tension, building up the claustrophic feel and that gnawing for of the dark and unknown.

Anyone got any plot/monster suggestions?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Scare the hell outta my players
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2013, 21:49:48 »
drop by here, many folks discussing similar things

https://www.facebook.com/groups/40230212669/
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2013, 12:56:49 »
one of my friends did a bit of it by templating monsters in 3rd or 3.5

you find a wyvern isn't a major threat? try adding the shadow template....

Beazle

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2013, 13:03:36 »
Tell all your players you want them to try to be more involved with really role playing their characters, and ask them all to try to use a different voice to portray their in-character speech.

Tell them no RP exp will be awarded unless they do so.

Then liberally sprinkle the dungeon in question with various gender changing magical garments.

Now, if your looking for a serious suggestion, I can recommend a game I did once.

After a certain festival in a village the players were visiting, they all drifted off peacefully to sleep.

Only to wake up in the bodies of monsters deep inside the local monster den.  As monsters, the players had to fight their way past invading adventurers so that they could launch a raid on the local village in order to run off with their own (peacefully sleeping) bodies.

The thought of having to battle fearsome adventures armed with only a woolen sword and a rusty loincloth was scarier then anything else I had ever thrown at them.

Once they made it to the inn, and secured their real bodies, the players all awoke to the realization that the entire thing had been some sort of magical dream, and hadn't really taken place.  They were back to normal with all the exp they had earned, but none of the treasure.

Just their regular gear.

And some gender changing garments.

Then they woke up again, and all their fiddly bits were in the right orientations.  It had been a dream within a dream, and everybody was relieved.

Except for Steve. 

We worry about Steve.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2013, 04:10:25 »
Make their first encounter be with a small group of . . . Politicians!     }:)

Make their second encounter be with a slightly larger group!

Make their 3rd encounter be with . . . a group of LAWYERS!!!   >:D

Then the lawyers proceed to sue them for "1st Degree Murder", "Assault with a Deadly Weapon", and "Grievous Bodily Harm" of the 2 groups of Politicians, maybe even "Reckless use of Dangerous Magicks".  Tack on some charges for stealing and "Possession of Stolen Property" if they looted the corpses of the Politicians.   O0  They go to sleep and wake up, thinking it was all a dream and none of it happened.

But it did! And they all have a half-orc "Bubba" for a cell mate!   >:D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Woe

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2015, 09:36:47 »
You can't go wrong with scary roleplays! I once had my players in what looked like the London Underground. They had found it by climbing through a savage hole in the floor of a bank. It seemed that the bank sat atop an old station.

It can be hard to get suspense and horror well into a role play but I think the key is in anticipation and not knowing. I had said players about a surgical table that had a stained sheet over it with shapes under it. They didn't know what was under it (though it wasn't a hard guess) and the anticipation really helped freak them out.  >:D  Good fun!
'Let the poetry of darkness be written henceforth!’

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2015, 11:31:15 »
I've always had really good luck using Kobolds.

Now, before you laugh, consider a couple things.

1. Most players consider Kobolds nothing more than sword fodder for low-level parties and do not give them any sort of respect.

2. Kobolds are canonically described as "Cunning and vicious", with a predilection for traps and ambushes.

3.  Most GM's do not play Kobolds anywhere near to their potential.

4.  Given enough time, a Kobold tribe can dig out a massive warren of tunnels and chambers. 

5.  Kobolds breed and mature rapidly.

6.  They are NOT stupid.  Cowardly, and untrustworthy, yes.  But the Average Kobold has an Intelligence of around 10, with the potential for much higher.

7.  They are known to trade with other humanoid species, (or rogue human merchants) when they cannot steal or make something themselves.

Add all this up and you have the potential for a rather unpleasant time for the players.  They think they are being hired to clear out a "Small nest of kobolds"....instead....

Their first indication of a problem is that the Kobolds they first kobolds they really meet, (after running a gauntlet of traps and hit-and-run ambushes) are better trained, equipped, and disciplined, than they expect.  I usually use Roman Legion Auxiliary kit for their gear/tactics.  (Chainmail shirt or boiled leather breastplate, shield, short sword, Spear or Pilum, and 4 Plumbata/Darts...poisoned of course)  The only real magical items they'd have, would be the shields, which would have something along the lines of a spell-ward, which stacks when in close contact with another just like it.  In other words, your mage tries to take the formation out with a fireball and watches as it dissipates harmlessly against the Kobold's Testudo formation. (Shield turtle)
Now you get a few waves of Plumbata/javelins to weather as you/they close.  Granted, a plumbata tossed by a Kobold is only going to do a few points of damage, but there are a lot of them....all venom coated.  Again, a low to mid-level venom, but best hope you don't miss too many of the saves. 

Get past them and you have the warren itself to deal with.  Miles of twisting tunnels, most of which are only just large enough for a Kobold to pass, certainly not wide/tall enough to swing a longsword.  Oh, and did I mention the traps?  Hidden doors/passages of course, as well as quite a few sliding walls that can, and will, be used to change the layout and/or trap the party.  Indulge your most evil and twisted, sadistic impulses.

Oh yeah, don't forget the confines when calculating spell effects...especially volume affected.  Mages tend to LOVE their flashy, big damage spells like fireball.  Do that in a tunnel and see what happens   >:D  You get the same volume, but instead of a ball/dome, you start from point of detonation and start both ways up and BACK down the tunnel.  Survived that?  Best hope this isn't a part of the warren with shaky structure.

So, you get the idea.

Happy player torture!

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2015, 12:35:27 »
re kobolds I remember when my gm was running the old pools of radiance module...

I was running it as a psudo solo adventure, I think there was a party of 2-3 anyway one of the "merchants" in town had some war dogs for a price the party could afford after a couple of "raids" into the ruins.  so here we are coming back towards the "reclaimed portion of town" after fighting several groups of stuff like hobgoblins and such, (and looting all their gear that we could carry) and got ambushed by Kobolds... they were mostly up on the surrounding buildings with crossbows, and there was 1 kobold for every hp in the party .... there were a LOT of Kobolds (in the neighborhood of 50 or more If I remember right... anyway they sent a group down to take our stuff, and they weren't exactly very wise so I managed to convince them to let us go for the bag of short swords (looted from goblins or something) and they never even noticed the bag of long swords and the like (so we basically bribed them with around 20-30g worth of daggers and short swords and walked away with our lives and 300-500g of other loot/treasure

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2015, 12:44:19 »

Use some Kaiju

That will get their characters running.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Woe

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2015, 15:26:21 »
There is nout wrong with kobolds as a D&D race AND I bet they would be epic to play in a roleplay, as a character! Small and cunning and not stupid would have all sorts of fun times to it. Imagine the sneakiness you could get up to? Not too good piloting a mech though.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2015, 15:27:57 by Woe »

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2015, 16:04:15 »
There is nout wrong with kobolds as a D&D race AND I bet they would be epic to play in a roleplay, as a character! Small and cunning and not stupid would have all sorts of fun times to it. Imagine the sneakiness you could get up to? Not too good piloting a mech though.

right up there with ewoks flying starfighters in star wars ....

Woe

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2015, 16:12:34 »
hahahaha EXACTLY!  ;D

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2015, 21:51:22 »
you get evil, a very nice garden setting and the ,most eveil creature there is a gazebo...one of the most feared creutres ever....

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2015, 13:44:22 »
Tucker's Kobolds.  Pure evil.

Or try combinations from the Commoner Handbook here.  Instead of buying traps directly, buy the materials (for 1/3 cost) and make more traps.  Instead of buying bows/arrows/etc, buy the materials and make them.  Profession (Miner) means you can have the enemies making lots of tunnels.  Missile Volley Feat allows extra archers to add a bonus to the to-hit roll (so the leader and 8 assistants fire, only one arrow can hit, but the roll gets a +8 bonus).  Craftsman feat gives you a 10% discount to buying stuff (even more traps/gear).  Soulspark familiar provides a resettable defending entity if the source character can stay hidden/protected.  Fell Conspiracy allows one person to perform a ritual, and all participants in that ritual can send a Message spell to anyone else if they are within 100 feet of each other.

Or for terror ideas:
1) a rogue type sneaks up stairs in a house, and at the end of the hall to one side sees a pair of glowing green eyes, about 80 feet away.  Reacting quickly, the rogue fires off a bolt from a light crossbow, and hears a glass shattering sound.  When the rest of the party comes up to investigate, they see the end of the hallway about 40 feet away, with a dresser at the end.  On top of the dresser is a broken mirror (broken by the crossbow bolt).

2) The little girl plays in the basement, sitting her dolly in a chair that is in the middle of the room.  At the table, she is sad because the family won't let her dolly sit at the table with them.  The catch is the chair in the basement, no matter how many times the players move it, keeps reappearing back in the middle of the floor.  The fun begins when they look at a floor map, and realize the chair in the basement is in the correct location to be at the table, just one floor lower.

3) Have there be ghost sounds of little children playing in the house.  After the players have gotten used to the laughter, mention that for several hours their characters have heard nothing.

4) The family cat stares at a character whenever they walk through a room.  After a while have them make an intelligence check to see if they realize the cat is actually looking at a spot just behind them.

Lone Star

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2015, 21:48:58 »
D&D doesn't handle horror well. It will never match up to Call of Cthuluu for example. Particularly fourth edition. It's a loot and level dungeon crawler with miniatures that empowers the player characters as heroes and works best when you keep to that idea.  With that in mind I would take a page from old gothic horror movies and create a mystery in a local village or town based around old gothic horror movies like the Wolfman or the Mummy. Even the old Dracula film could work here. It's something they can investigate, solve, and confront with sword that has all with all the Halloween trappings while keeping true to the spirit of the game rules.

I know you started this thread back in October of 2013. However, since people have been posting ideas since January of this year, I thought why not as it was an interesting thought. Hope you game was fun back then and today.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2015, 23:20:25 »
I've always had really good luck using Kobolds....They are NOT stupid.  Cowardly, and untrustworthy, yes.  But the Average Kobold has an Intelligence of around 10, with the potential for much higher...
I had a character that qualified for a Henchman, the GM didn't want to flood the campaign with everyone taking henchmen, so I promised not to make him too powerful. I made a Kobold fighter with Scale mail and a light pick. he spent most of the time with my Cockatrice familiar (& a few other familiars and henchmen) on rear/treasure/supply guard off map as the main characters acted as a front line/vanguard. It really helped the party indirectly, allowing us a reason to focus on the campaign instead of logistics.

The only real magical items they'd have, would be the shields...
No real reason for this. As stated, some Kobolds can get above average Intel/Charisma/Wisdom so they can qualify for various magic classes, mainly Shaman/Cleric/Ranger/Druid types. If you want to through in some uncertainty, it's most appropriate to have them use wild magic, perhaps a cleric of a "god" of Chaos or a Shaman/Alcholite/Sorcerer of Chaos magic. The spells are cast but the effects are somewhat random.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2015, 23:24:49 »
hahahaha EXACTLY!  ;D
don't you mean "uhb uhb"?

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2015, 23:42:07 »
D&D doesn't handle horror well. It will never match up to Call of Cthuluu for example.
I didn't find it as much scary as gross, never left a sesion feeling good at having played it (even when we won - or survived). Did leave one laughing though - I was running around a house with another players character (running from crazed maniacs with meat cleavers). As we came back around to the front door he ran in, slammed it in my face & threw the deadbolt. I yelled and jumped into the bushes. the GM told him to set aside he'd get back to him. the rest pf us played out the chase outside & several of us (including me) managed to make it back across the fence and leave. Then the GM turned to the guy who locked me out. "You slammed the door closed and threw the deadbolt, what do you do now?" "I turn around and check out the room." "As you turn around, your in a foyer, there are 5 guys with meat cleavers surrounding you." - oops wrong turn!  >:D Later my character (that one) was running with the group from a secret entrance to the Great Pyramid and took a British Enfield in the back. He was the lucky one. Very next session , my new character came face to face with the Black Pharaoh! [drool] Then next session,  my next character, well...
« Last Edit: 28 February 2015, 23:54:35 by MAD-4A »

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2015, 19:51:19 »
Then next session,  my next character ...  Then next session,  my next character ...  Then next session,  my next character ...

That sounds like me when I was playing Twilight: 2000.  #P

;D

After my 1st T2K character died I showed up at the next game with 1 or 2 others (in case the GM didn't approve of 1 or the other).  After my 2nd one died, I created enough to fill out a Platoon, then I'd bring 3-4 each time we'd play.   :D  I kept the group Well Supplied with MREs, uniforms, hand grenades, cigarettes and ammo, mainly 5.56N and 12 gauge.   :P
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2015, 09:50:21 »
That sounds like me when I was playing Twilight: 2000.  #P
Really - I tackled a T-55 with only an M-60 & lived to tell... (well I did have a WP grenade >:D ). The unit was a bunch of Lts (downed pilots) and 1 corporal (me) so someone had to distract the tank while the officers ran. That was kind'a scary.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2015, 12:34:23 »
Funny you'd mention a T-55. Ever get caught in a firefight without firepower before?

My group was just coming across a dirt road when we hear a firefight going off in the near distant. Natch we investigated and to our surprise a WWII Tiger tank is dishing out some punishment to a T-55. Caught it flatfooted sort of speak. Tiger took out the main cannon, but jammed it's own in the process, and both were housing, literally, each other down in machine gun fire. So we decided to just withdraw and go around. But noooo! Here comes somebody in another WWII tank, a Sherman, blocking us in. Now the Sherman has that .50 on top but only a .30 turret mount, and the cannon was a 20mm auto job from a salvaged Bradley. Not really much, but enough to finish both tanks off.

Turns out the T-55 folks were part of another village stealing supplies, while the Russians who had the Tiger tank. Where they got that from was anyones guess. We asked the Sherman folks if we could just leave to continue on our way home. After agreeing to, they let us go our merry way.

Talk about not having firepower in a firefight!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Perigrin

• Sergeant
  • Beakie
    • UtterlyMadForums
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2015, 07:49:43 »
First off, steal their hair.
This sounds silly, but imagine waking up in the morning, only to find that some monster shaved you bald, taken your hair, and otherwise left you alone.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2015, 16:43:41 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nolan_%28species%29

Nolans.  Nolans always work.  They make you roll for fear just even looking at them.  You do not want to get Nolans in our ship, should you find them away from their home world, or your planet.

Also unpleasant:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crana

PS:  I thought this was for BTech but I'm sure they'd work in any setting.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2015, 16:45:25 by VictorMorson »