Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 146143 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1350 on: 19 July 2017, 14:59:55 »
That had perfect casting all round actually. Jonathan Price as the Master was priceless. And interestingly enough Jim Broadbent had played the Doctor before that on a different sketch show.

Yeah, Victoria Wood's show. A fantastic comedian who died recently, and quite young.

And Richard E. Grant also played the Doctor in "The Scream of the Shalka" which was a fantastic story by the way. (And also featured Derek Jacobi as the Master ironically enough.) It's a shame it's not canon: I liked that version of the Doctor.

It was considered canon when it came out, even though the live-action relaunch was in pre-production at the time with the full intention that the animation would be discarded once it was ready to go.  Weird, but nobody involved in the production of the show has ever really cared about canon.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1351 on: 19 July 2017, 22:35:52 »
I liked that version of the Doctor though, that's all.

As far as the new Doctor, there's one thing that really, really bugs me about her....that I have to wait till next year to see her in action.  :( :( :-[

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1352 on: 20 July 2017, 06:08:32 »
I liked that version of the Doctor though, that's all.

As far as the new Doctor, there's one thing that really, really bugs me about her....that I have to wait till next year to see her in action.  :( :( :-[
Ain't that the truth.  Well, on the bright side they have good stretch of time to write up some good stories and film them right!  8)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1353 on: 17 August 2017, 14:24:43 »
Wow, we've been quiet for some time.  I know, board's down and all that.  Still, since we've been civil, and it's been a good thread that we all can take part in, I figured I'd leave this here as a gift.  Enjoy. :)

"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1354 on: 17 August 2017, 18:21:07 »
Wow, we've been quiet for some time.  I know, board's down and all that.  Still, since we've been civil, and it's been a good thread that we all can take part in, I figured I'd leave this here as a gift.  Enjoy. :)

Too soon man...too soon... :'(

(To be serious though, anyone else see the trailer for the Christmas special? Okay then...since the spoiler tag is still broken I won't say that...  :-X )

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1355 on: 17 August 2017, 18:31:48 »
I like Michelle Gomez's master. I was sad that her character was died.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1356 on: 17 August 2017, 18:39:08 »

Did she though? Dum, dum, duuuum......

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1357 on: 17 August 2017, 21:27:43 »
Just got back from the Rifftrax Live showing of the Five Doctors.

That was awesome.  Love when they do this in theaters.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1358 on: 17 August 2017, 23:08:52 »
Too soon man...too soon... :'(

Could be worse.  Last group I threw it in, it started a chain of memes that included someone asking, "Why would you post something like that?"  To which I responded with a picture of the Master, and it spilled out from there. :D

(Don't worry, if I was going to go that far, I'd throw it in the Hall.  Hmmm....sounds like an idea.  Doctor Who meme thread in the Hall. :) Someone will have to start that sometime. :) )

(To be serious though, anyone else see the trailer for the Christmas special? Okay then...since the spoiler tag is still broken I won't say that...  :-X )

Not yet.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1359 on: 17 August 2017, 23:28:12 »
Could be worse.  Last group I threw it in, it started a chain of memes that included someone asking, "Why would you post something like that?"  To which I responded with a picture of the Master, and it spilled out from there. :D

(Don't worry, if I was going to go that far, I'd throw it in the Hall.  Hmmm....sounds like an idea.  Doctor Who meme thread in the Hall. :) Someone will have to start that sometime. :) )

I'd be up for that. :D

Not yet.

Then here you go...

https://youtu.be/YCkDXegqjR0

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1360 on: 18 August 2017, 00:10:08 »
I'd be up for that. :D

Then here you go...

https://youtu.be/YCkDXegqjR0

Awesome! :)  I wanna see it now! :)
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1361 on: 20 August 2017, 21:07:30 »

Well, we'll see about that...since it's still an open question of how the Master is going to escape from the little loop he seems to have trapped himself/herself in.  Knowing how the next incarnation will turn out, is it possible he might remember just enough for long enough to re-direct his regeneration into somebody who's NOT Missy?

(And it seems we'll be having to get used to using bi-gendered pronouns in all aspects of this thread now...)

On another note, (didn't get to post these comments since it happened during the White-Out and then had a very busy family holiday) I really liked John Simm's return as the Master in the finale.  He toned down the raving loon act; I could see this portrayal as being a younger, slimier version of Derek Jacobi's take on the character.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1362 on: 20 August 2017, 21:46:31 »
Well, we'll see about that...since it's still an open question of how the Master is going to escape from the little loop he seems to have trapped himself/herself in.  Knowing how the next incarnation will turn out, is it possible he might remember just enough for long enough to re-direct his regeneration into somebody who's NOT Missy?

(And it seems we'll be having to get used to using bi-gendered pronouns in all aspects of this thread now...)

On another note, (didn't get to post these comments since it happened during the White-Out and then had a very busy family holiday) I really liked John Simm's return as the Master in the finale.  He toned down the raving loon act; I could see this portrayal as being a younger, slimier version of Derek Jacobi's take on the character.

cheers,

Gabe

It's funny actually, if he'd played the Master more like this in the Tennant stories I would have liked his portrayal a lot better. (Otherwise I rank him down about the bottom of the list of my favorite Masters.)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1363 on: 21 August 2017, 02:57:07 »
I also never piped in on the whole kerfuffle (although it didn't materialize into one here) on the casting change and the choice of Jodie Whittaker to step into the role.

After mulling over it for some time, just want to say that it's not like we haven't been prepared for the possibility--just that so few fans thought the producers would actually follow through on the idea.  (Is it in fact true that Joanna Lumley was considered as a successor to Tom Baker, back in the early 80s?  If so, this really isn't such a novel idea...)  The worst thing about it, if there's anything "bad" so far, is that given this actress' past association with the new showrunner, it smacks a bit of cronyism on his part.

For those of you who've never heard Jodie Whittaker, here is a BBC interview where she gives her first real thoughts at being chosen to play the next Doctor: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05br8l3

If that's how she's going to deliver her lines, then first approximation for her portrayal is female Eccleston.  (Her accent is actually broader than either his or Capaldi's!)  Or will she go the Tennant route and try something closer to RP?**

I also hope they go with the clothes she wore in the reveal announcement as her costume, at least for a while.  It would provide a sense of continuity with Capaldi's Doctor.

**(If you can, look on Youtube and try to find Tennant's delivery of Hamlet's soliloquy.  He is ABSOLUTELY SPELLBINDING.)

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 04:17:55 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1364 on: 25 August 2017, 07:11:56 »
More news on the Christmas special.  It seems it won't just be the First Doctor making an appearance, he'll be bringing along some of his contemporary companions too (played by new actors of course).  And Susan isn't one of them.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/48818/doctor-who-christmas-special-hollyoaks-star-cast

Instead we get Ben & Polly, so this must be from a point close to the end of the Doctor's first incarnation.

cheers,

Gabe

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1365 on: 25 August 2017, 07:30:46 »
It looks very much to me like the Christmas episode will be happening around the time of (or during) 'The Tenth Planet.'
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1366 on: 25 August 2017, 09:28:13 »
I think the theme of the episode will be both Doctor's coming to terms with regenerating. (Incidentally, both are the first incarnation of their respective regeneration cycles.)

And yes, since it takes place simultaneously with the events of "The Tenth Planet" it would have to feature Ben and Polly.

As I side note, I'd just like to point out that the last two episodes did not rewrite the origin of the Mondasian Cybermen. It is more a splinter group. And for all we know, the Master could have pushed the survivors in that direction. And also as the Doctor says at one point, wherever humanity goes, the Cybermen are inevitable (or words to that effect).
(Sorry for the mini rant, but I've talked to several people who were convinced it was a retconned and seemed determined to gripe about it.)
« Last Edit: 25 August 2017, 09:33:38 by YingJanshi »

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1367 on: 26 August 2017, 00:48:27 »
I think the theme of the episode will be both Doctor's coming to terms with regenerating. (Incidentally, both are the first incarnation of their respective regeneration cycles.)

And yes, since it takes place simultaneously with the events of "The Tenth Planet" it would have to feature Ben and Polly.

As I side note, I'd just like to point out that the last two episodes did not rewrite the origin of the Mondasian Cybermen. It is more a splinter group. And for all we know, the Master could have pushed the survivors in that direction. And also as the Doctor says at one point, wherever humanity goes, the Cybermen are inevitable (or words to that effect).
(Sorry for the mini rant, but I've talked to several people who were convinced it was a retconned and seemed determined to gripe about it.)

I think that was the consensus in one or two Doctor Who groups I belong to on Facebook.  I'm fine with it.
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1368 on: 06 November 2017, 16:00:49 »
So the Doctor is getting 3 new companions for Series 11, which is going to be 10 episodes long starting in Autumn of 2018. *Sigh*

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/meet-the-thirteenth-doctors-three-new-companions

In other news the Doctor's daughter is returning to Doctor Who!!
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/the-doctor-s-daughter-jenny-returns-for-new-audio-adventures

And we are getting a new Doctor Who novel from Douglas Adams:
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/coming-in-2018-douglas-adams-doctor-who-and-the-krikkitmen

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1369 on: 06 November 2017, 17:59:09 »
I wished they had been able to do video thing with Doctor's Daughter vs audio.  Its nice to see something for the character!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1370 on: 06 November 2017, 20:36:05 »
I wished they had been able to do video thing with Doctor's Daughter vs audio.  Its nice to see something for the character!

Yeah, it would have been cool to see. On the other hand I'm glad Big Finish is able to incorporate so much from the new show. (Though if I'm honest, the one episode I really wish we could have seen was one with Capaldi, River Song, Jack Harkness and Missy. I find the idea of the four of them stuck together to be hilarious.)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1371 on: 06 November 2017, 22:31:11 »
So the Doctor is getting 3 new companions for Series 11, which is going to be 10 episodes long starting in Autumn of 2018. *Sigh*

And we are getting a new Doctor Who novel from Douglas Adams:
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/coming-in-2018-douglas-adams-doctor-who-and-the-krikkitmen

This isn't a "new" novel.  Adams' idea for the story dates back to 1976; he eventually reworked it into _Life, The Universe, and Everything_ (book three of the Hitchhiker's Guide series).

cheers,

Gabe

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1372 on: 06 November 2017, 23:22:15 »
This isn't a "new" novel.  Adams' idea for the story dates back to 1976; he eventually reworked it into _Life, The Universe, and Everything_ (book three of the Hitchhiker's Guide series).

cheers,

Gabe

It's new in that it's never been published. (Though to be fair it's written by someone else from notes that DA wrote back when he was working on the show.)

YingJanshi

• Major

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1374 on: 09 November 2017, 14:03:40 »
That is rather a delightfully Doctor outfit.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1375 on: 10 November 2017, 07:59:49 »
I wonder pins they'll put n her suspenders.  Like the question mark or something amusing.  Be nice to see the question mark again.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1376 on: 10 November 2017, 10:11:30 »
I could've been patient for a few more months.  I *REALLY* wish they wouldn't reveal things like this until AFTER the Christmas special--unless, that is, they plan to have her change into the new costume in the final scenes, after the regeneration.

OTOH, filming on the new series has apparently already started and will continue through the first half of 2018.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1377 on: 24 December 2017, 00:02:35 »
Well, here we are.  The end of an era is upon us.  (Two eras, if you count the change in showrunner.)

But we will always remember when the Doctor was HIM.

She's coming...

Cheers, Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1378 on: 24 December 2017, 00:30:11 »
Still not ginger, though. :(

Apparently, BBCA's been doing a marathon.  I've been missing it due to work, but it's fine.  In case I miss the next episode, I've got it set to record. 
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1379 on: 24 December 2017, 00:46:58 »
Well, only couple days until Winter Special comes out. I pray my local cable carrier doesn't pull a fast one or have glitch and prevent me from watching the episode.