Author Topic: The Dragon's Lair  (Read 186039 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
The Dragon's Lair
« on: 26 January 2011, 20:04:41 »
A new home for the samurai and warriors of the Draconis Combine.  May House Kurita continue to prosper and defeat the yellow bird.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daishi411

• Captain
Re: The Dragon's Lair
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 20:12:09 »
i have to admit, that for a long time i found the combine bland, and only a place where samurai fanboys gather, but i've since come to really like them as a faction, and find a lot of their history really cool, to be fair i do like almost every faction.

also the 7th sword of light rules the day!  [rockon]
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 20:36:07 »
Well... the Combine's Bushido storyline has been hit a few times.  I mean, how long has it been since the Samurai code has paid off for the Combine? Then again, it is an outdated code to begin with.  Still, the Combine will always be close to my heart, if only because it is populated by such die hards.  All I have to do is take a look through Historical: War of 3039 and i'm back in love.

Now, if only the Combine could get the Japanese stereotype of building great cheap machines.

Serve the Dragon.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 20:40:20 »
My only problem with the Combine lately has been the prevalence of the Black Dragon.  It turned into the Combine's one trick pony.  I wanna see more of the cultural mixing, how the way of the samurai works when applied to non-Japanese.

Like back in the day when we had Swedenese and Rasalhaguian samurai.  That doesn't come up very often anymore.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 20:43:07 »
My only problem with the Combine lately has been the prevalence of the Black Dragon.  It turned into the Combine's one trick pony.  I wanna see more of the cultural mixing, how the way of the samurai works when applied to non-Japanese.

Like back in the day when we had Swedenese and Rasalhaguian samurai.  That doesn't come up very often anymore.

i agree, we've seen in a lot of the books and on DA pilot cards that the combine is actually as multicultural as the other successor states, whether they acknowledge it or not. i particularly like the picture of stephen dirks, a scottish samurai, what's more badass than that
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 21:07:43 »
Him using his mech to wield a caber as a weapon?

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 21:07:56 »
...stephen dirks, a scottish samurai...

hwha?! how have I not seen this yet......

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 21:14:17 »

Baaaaaaad!
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 21:15:28 »
I think we have a candidate for the next Coordinator...

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 21:19:18 »
Indeed.  Those who disagree with him will be tossed like a caber.  And set on fire.

Makes seppuku look good.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 21:20:43 »
:O

His battle cry could be 'AAAAAAAAACCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!!'

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 21:55:58 »
Does he carry a pair of ceremonial claymores instead of traditional samurai daisho? :)

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 21:57:47 »
If he doesn't, he should because that would be made of awesome!

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 22:18:48 »
that does seem like it would be the right thing to do
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 01:14:35 »
Well, if I didn't know he was from the Combine/Dragon's Fury I would think he's a Cappie.  The green robe and blurry characters on his headband makes me think of some of the old HB:HL illustrations.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Shirotora

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2011, 02:48:21 »
Konichiwa, comrades.

5thb SoL is in da hizzouse
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 04:55:18 by Shirotora »
Tae-I Kenjiro Amundsen
GHR-6X Grasshopper

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2011, 04:00:27 »
I love the Lyran Commonwealth, but I've painted up a full company of 15th Benjamin Regulars led by Sgt. Duane "Kabukiman" Elliason, DCMS.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2011, 18:01:29 »
in the DA there's a combine civil war, unfortunately i don't have the book that outlines the details of this conflict, daughter of the dragon i think, is there anyone out there that can give me a timeline or a crash course in the events that happen during the conflict
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2011, 19:14:57 »
Not so much a full-fledged civil war as a successful coup d'etat with the possibility of a civil war.
Coordinator Vincent Kurita was assassinated thanks to his clinically crazy eldest son.  His younger son Theodore died earlier, trying to breech fortress republic.  The daughter, Emi, is in hiding with the Nova Cats but is presumed dead.
The Coordinator is Yori (Sakamoto) Kurita, granddaughter of Franklin Sakamoto, Teddy K's illegitimate son.  She's (supposedly) a puppet of the New Samarkand Warlord, Matsuhari Toranaga.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2011, 20:27:47 »
thanx man, but i have one more question, in heretic's faith it mentions a bunch of times power jockying between the various warlords that i didn't fully know the context for, do you have anything on that?
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2011, 20:42:32 »
The warlords were always jockeying for position.  In the DA it's basically a combination of one-up-man-ship, a weakened coordinator and some misdirection on the part of the coordinator.  The Warlord of New Samarkand had aspirations of becoming Coordinator, but knew a non-Kurita would never be accepted so he 'acquired' a puppet.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2011, 22:34:35 »
perfect, thanks a lot.

if i could trouble you one more time, since you seem to be lord kurita 'round these parts, do you have a list of the warlords in the DA, i only know katana and the guy you mentioned
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2011, 22:45:58 »
Sure!

Doppo Saito - Warlord Pesht
Mitsura Sakamoto - Warlord Benjamin (died)
Mitsuhari Toranaga - Warlord New Samarkand
Katana Tormark - Warlord Dieron
Theodore Kurita II - Warlord Benjamin (replacement, also died)

Oh!  Also....

Ramadeep Bhatia - ISF Director

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2011, 22:48:41 »
ah, i remember bhatia from heretics faith, he's....interesting.

perfect, thanks for all the help man
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2011, 22:52:23 »
No prob.  I is here to serve.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2011, 13:53:13 »
So, fellow samurai... Kanrei Minamoto: Black Dragon or just the next best thing to one?

Been reading up on the Council of Gems and it seemed most have been named. And there's still one out there that's unaccounted for, could be Jerrar (the new ISF Director) or it could be Minamoto. As apparently the records were purged of a single name.

Also, anyone have any info on the BDS during the 3130s? Some have said that the Black Dragons are back again. And that's just the suck. Same old tired thing.

Nanaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2011, 14:07:27 »
Also, anyone have any info on the BDS during the 3130s? Some have said that the Black Dragons are back again. And that's just the suck. Same old tired thing.

Pretty much. The only major difference is that they no longer operate under the 'Black Dragon' name. See the Warlord discussion above for details.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2011, 16:47:46 »
Pretty much. The only major difference is that they no longer operate under the 'Black Dragon' name. See the Warlord discussion above for details.

That was enlightening. Wonderful, another internecine war. I can't believe they killed off Vincent Kurita.

Clinically crazy eldest son? Great, and that guy from the cartoons' grandson is the new Coordinator/puppet.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #29 on: 25 March 2011, 17:18:54 »
So, fellow samurai... Kanrei Minamoto: Black Dragon or just the next best thing to one?

Been reading up on the Council of Gems and it seemed most have been named. And there's still one out there that's unaccounted for, could be Jerrar (the new ISF Director) or it could be Minamoto. As apparently the records were purged of a single name.

As I saw it, there was two Black Dragon factions during the Jihad: The ones that rebelled and the ones that stayed loyal to the council. Jerrar and Minamoto probably belongs to the second faction. Also, Sapphire can not be Jerrar, since the Sapphire refers to Jerrar in third person in a way that excludes the possibility. Minamoto is probably Sapphire.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell