Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 197079 times)

Xeno426

• Sergeant
It was noted that the Bears would be the least likely to use it. They have a retirement program now and insanity inducing EI is a bad fit for that. On top of that is the overplayed Bear dislike of new tech.
I think they get Flanderized a bit in this regard. My view is that they prefer technology that has reached maturity. If interface systems could get to a point where a pilot could get a few good years in (maybe five to ten) and then leave without suffering permanent mental damage, I think the Dominion would be much more open to using it. As you point out, the fact that they are practically developing a retirement program (they pretty much have to for the KungsArmé forces) rather kills their employment of most EI systems as they are now. Honestly, I think it more likely they'd start using C3i again before Interface becomes widespread.

If Interface becomes more widespread in the other IS Clans, I would honestly see them heavily using C3i and TCs all over the place before they move into more EI territory. Those two things (combined with doctrine that makes full use of them) could help keep them on equal footing with Clans using Interface technology.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Not gonna lie, this was stupid fun.  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57516.0  Wish I could have done that with a dual UAC-20 machine...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Nothing wrong with the firepower on that.
I think they get Flanderized a bit in this regard. My view is that they prefer technology that has reached maturity. If interface systems could get to a point where a pilot could get a few good years in (maybe five to ten) and then leave without suffering permanent mental damage, I think the Dominion would be much more open to using it. As you point out, the fact that they are practically developing a retirement program (they pretty much have to for the KungsArmé forces) rather kills their employment of most EI systems as they are now. Honestly, I think it more likely they'd start using C3i again before Interface becomes widespread.

If Interface becomes more widespread in the other IS Clans, I would honestly see them heavily using C3i and TCs all over the place before they move into more EI territory. Those two things (combined with doctrine that makes full use of them) could help keep them on equal footing with Clans using Interface technology.
Always remember with the Bears they have been given a lot of advantages so they need to be gimped in others.

TCs are problematic for weight reasons and we already see their use in intelligent places in the touman.

WoB iC3 saw ECM spread liberally around the Sphere. To the point C3 isn't standard DC equipment now. Plus it doesn't work with stealth tech if we are going that way.

Interface Cockpits are that revolutionary. You get better pilot performance. And your Mech gains 4 crits and 2-4 tons. That pays for Ferro Lammellor armor in most cases. (FL is situationally better than FF.) Look how it changed the Viper. Now do that to every light Clan Mech in the game.

There are tactical fixes to Interface Cockpits and there is a cost in pilot lifespans. But there are ALWAYS young dumb patriots willing to pilot things like this. Heck. There is  not one ex military person that I know that isn't carrying a long term injury. It will happen. It is just a question of when.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Nothing wrong with the firepower on that.  Always remember with the Bears they have been given a lot of advantages so they need to be gimped in others.
Glad you liked it.  That one was cute.  So what's the general design etho1s/flavor of the modern RasDom, anyway?  Was there a merging of mindsets between the two sides?  I'm wanting to get a better feel for things besides '100 ton bear mechs' myself.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
... Always remember with the Bears they have been given a lot of advantages...

Understatement of the thread!

Sorry, I'm aware this is the Dominion fan thread.  Let me express something other than sour grapes:  Wars of the Republic Era was a pretty enjoyable read.  Even when the Dominion won :)   Besides, they're probably going to end up being either the ilClan or the ilClan's kingmaker anyway.  TPTB aren't going to turn around how much "nothing bad ever happens to us" inertia the Bears have had for so long anytime soon.

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
I'm always a bit surprised when people feel the need to cry fiat at large, careful and adaptable factions like the Bears and Adders tending to do well in the BT setting, while wildly flailing boneheads like the Jaguars and WoB get squashed.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Not gonna lie, this was stupid fun.  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57516.0  Wish I could have done that with a dual UAC-20 machine...

I like it: at the same time I want a dezgra exile or mercenary to grab one remove the missile launchers and add Claws and something close range like an LBX-20 but that would leave the ER PPC out and then it's got no long range things.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Well, Clan LRMs are deliciously short-ranged at 7 hexes and have no minimums, so there's that.  Plus all those ERMLs...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Yea, your version is what I expect a Kodiak to be: I was just talking hypothetically about a custom on your version.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Well, I can think of worse things to buy for 4550 BV, but there you go.  One LB-20 variant for shorter-range work.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Personally i am a bigger fan of slapping a gauss rifle instead of ac20. I like the longer range and cooler heat profile so i can work more of my medium lasers in the patented care bear stare.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
I have got a lot more selective with AC20s over the years. For example I usually don't bother at 4/6 which rules out most assaults. They are so slow they need the reach of a gauss. The Kodiak is an exception as a flavor unit.
Executioners are interesting because they can be fast enough but their pod space is so limited an AC20 compromises their balance. The H is the only one that really pulls it off.
Ultimately I am not a big fan of AC20s in the first place. The odds of a single big hit are low while a cluster of medium lasers doing more damage are higher.

SteveRestless

• Major
on the CLPS note, the wolves may have actually broken the ice on that front earlier than that.

the Original TRO entry for the Phantom medium omni, describes the mech as having a system along those lines (though never statted as such)

Quote from: TRO 3055
It's outer couating features a special polarizing crystal process that make it indistinct and blurry to any scanning or sensor system.

Playing with a mech editor I did whip up a "Phantom (Prototype)" based on that line, that includes CLPS without breaking any configs. Kindof a pre-wulfen.

not necessarily canon, but speculation about CLPS on clan designs isn't necessarily unfounded either.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Xeno426

• Sergeant
I'm fine with the Clans becoming Yautja. ;D

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #854 on: 23 June 2017, 20:04:06 »
Birthday battle ideas aaaaand GO!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #855 on: 24 June 2017, 13:49:37 »
Using a Wolf Assualt Star to beat a Bear Pinata?

>:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #856 on: 24 June 2017, 18:24:13 »
Take Leviathan III out for a spin...

Or Seventh Bear Guards on Tukyiaad.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #857 on: 25 June 2017, 00:44:28 »
Birthday battle ideas aaaaand GO!

try out my new Elemental "Mech" that I hastily threw together just for you ;)
...I have no idea how it performs, and I have no record of how we built the Elementals from before, so I thought I'd try something different
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #858 on: 31 October 2017, 13:41:20 »
Wow. Now that's some good hibernating, Bears! The forum is asking if I'm sure I want to respond because the last post is over 90 days old.

Wait....there's not a new one, is there? I didn't see one.

Anyway, what are we all working on lately?

I went through a Battle Armor buying spree a couple months ago, and I'm still sifting through what all I want to do with it.

Also got an Omega Galaxy Binary (3145 era) being painted right now for an upcoming event game.
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #859 on: 31 October 2017, 18:41:03 »
Sleeping for large portions at a time while building a pair of mixed Supernova Binaries for a non-canon unit. Playing some CBT here and there but don't have much more than the basic Box Set and Lance Packs so stuck playing IS with people. Have no money but slowly trying to assemble a Clan Wolverine Trinary as well as a Ghost Bear Trinary and Wolf/Coyote Trinary. Picked up the BMM and am slowly learning ALL the rules so as to teach the locals (who are all involved in so many other RPGs and Minatures games I have to pull teeth for them to even consider BT).

But yeah also trying to consider a paint scheme for a mech unit that makes it vaguely look CGB. I like the Dark Gray and Blue of Delta so I'm leaning towards something similar.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #860 on: 01 November 2017, 08:54:57 »
Wow. Now that's some good hibernating, Bears! The forum is asking if I'm sure I want to respond because the last post is over 90 days old.

Wait....there's not a new one, is there? I didn't see one.

Anyway, what are we all working on lately?

I went through a Battle Armor buying spree a couple months ago, and I'm still sifting through what all I want to do with it.

Also got an Omega Galaxy Binary (3145 era) being painted right now for an upcoming event game.

Can't go wrong with making them zeta galaxy! What units comprise of your omega binary?

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #861 on: 01 November 2017, 10:25:59 »
Can't go wrong with making them zeta galaxy! What units comprise of your omega binary?

Yeah, I think many of them will end up Zeta. Also will fill roster slots in my 2nd Bear Regulars, 1st Rasalhague Bears, and probably 1st Bear Guards or 50th Striker Cluster once I get my Alpha Galaxy Invasion Era units settled.

The Omega Galaxy Binary is a mixed unit, reflecting the not-always-front-line nature of units during the Dark Ages, meant for deployment on Vega. The configs and variants are noted because the unit is currently fitted to a 600PV roster for scenario.

Assault Star
Kodiak II
Karhu G
Executioner G
Supernova
Bruin

Battle Star
Mad Dog H
Arcas 2
Beowulf IIC
Fire Moth F
Solitaire

Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #862 on: 10 November 2017, 21:02:26 »
Thoughts of other items in there?

I know I'm considered a Horse fan, but helping myself, and others, towards relieving you of your hard earn gains, demands necessary questioning of said unit's assets.   :))

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #863 on: 12 November 2017, 18:52:56 »
Ryoken IIs. Lots and lots of Ryoken IIs.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #864 on: 13 November 2017, 16:45:37 »
The Ryoken II is a fun ride,so i agree.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #865 on: 14 November 2017, 20:16:49 »
It is, but you might want to hire some trucks with additional ammo to follow you around...
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #866 on: 15 November 2017, 20:26:39 »
Ryoken II is best Ryoken
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #867 on: 16 November 2017, 05:44:57 »
It is, but you might want to hire some trucks with additional ammo to follow you around...

If you aren't running out of ammo you aren't doing it right!! ;)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #868 on: 16 November 2017, 05:57:42 »
Ryoken II is best Ryoken
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The first one is a nice air defense platform.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #869 on: 05 January 2018, 18:42:36 »
Guess everyone is doing his winter sleep but while I am awake I wish a Happy New Year to every Ghost Bear.