Author Topic: Alpha Strike Articles of the Week Schedule  (Read 72631 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Alpha Strike Articles of the Week Schedule
« on: 02 July 2015, 19:25:47 »
MULLIGAN!

So I burned out really hard after that Banshee article, and only managed the Centurion and Uziel afterward before the articles basically stopped happening.  Whoops.  Lesson learned, and all that jazz.  I won't be putting up articles as often, and I won't be obsessively scheduling things months in advance.

That aside: I've got a burning desire to cover the original 16 Clan Omnis, and any of their descendants in Alpha Strike.  The Mad Cat Mk IV already got its day, but there are still, by my count "a few" articles to be done.  Requests are honestly lower on my list right now, for the simple fact that I'm hoping I'll not burn out if I'm writing just the articles I want to write. :)

Current list of posted articles:

MSK-** Mackie (Critical Hits)
Mad Cat Mk IV (Savage Wolf) (Battlefield Intelligence)
RVN-** Raven
UAE-** Uraeus
DV-1S Dervish
VL-** Vulcan
VQR-** Vanquisher
ALM-** Fireball
SHD-** Shadow Hawk
WHM-** Warhammer
CPLT-** Catapult
Alpha Strike Guide: Artillery
Alpha Strike Guide: Air-to-Ground Tactics
C-MK-O Malak
BNC-** Banshee
Schreck/Narukami
TLN-** Talon
Thresher
LGC-** Legacy
WSP-** Wasp LAM
CNT-** Centurion
UZL-** Uziel
WVR-** Wolverine/Wolverine II
Dasher II
Koshi (Standard)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2016, 19:46:40 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: Alpha Strike Articles of the Week Schedule
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2015, 19:55:58 »
I approve of your September Selections!  :D

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2015, 20:13:04 »
I would love to see the Ice Ferret and Hellbringer in one of your upcoming articles, Scotty.  Under AS rules . . . they might become REALLY good.  But they might not.  :)

MA

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2015, 21:38:30 »
Any way you can fit in the Jupiter in there somewhere? or the big fat Dire Wolf?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2015, 11:20:30 »
A heads up for aspiring article writers: in order to link the cards from the MUL without blowing up browsers, use [img height=480] [ /img]
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2015, 13:21:39 »
I would love to see the Ice Ferret and Hellbringer in one of your upcoming articles, Scotty.  Under AS rules . . . they might become REALLY good.  But they might not.  :)

MA

I had a wee tour through the Hellbringer configs. 
Holy carp!!
It's still ridiculously fragile, but there are all sorts of bizarre combinations: random electronics, large attack values and interesting specials.  Definitely deserves a look.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2015, 13:59:09 »
A heads up for aspiring article writers: in order to link the cards from the MUL without blowing up browsers, use [img height=480] [ /img]

Good to know and thanks!

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2015, 15:27:50 »
Hey,

I just want to give a shout out to everyone participating in these articles. This is one of the things that will make Alpha Strike a growing community.  O0

As a heads up, I only stumbled on these by accident, so someone may want to cross post, or put up a "Hi ya!" post in the AS subforum so new players can find them. I've found that a few newbies feel that the rest of the website is pretty much for CBT and there's CBT fans out there who are willing to prove them right.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 15:31:22 by Von Ether »
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2015, 15:42:28 »
Ah, requests!
Turkina or Cephalus!
That said, big Kudos! to everyone doing these articles, it sure makes the place more lively.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2015, 15:43:56 »
I have significantly updated the schedule!  It now features two articles a week, because I'm a greedy jackass who isn't going to give up his weekly articles so other people can do their own. ^-^  Slots in bold are open.  If you want to tackle a given article, let me know.  You may also notice theme months.  If you want to take a slot, please try to keep to that month's theme if at all possible!  That said, it's not a restriction, and you're free to come up with articles that don't fit, because theme months will be fairly frequent.  Upcoming theme months:

THE SEPTEMBER OF STEINER
A Thanksgiving Tradition (Jade Falcon, November)
Davionista December
The Capellan New Year (January)
March: Your Month of Marik
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2015, 15:57:09 »
Mechs are nice and all but we really need a couple of articles on other units types. I would suggest sticking with only one AS mech article of the week. The other one needs to be something else, anything else.

Evil Imperial

• Corporal
  • Destroying all who dare to oppose me
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2015, 17:33:11 »
Stinger and Stinger IIC may not play AS but I do a fondness for the Stinger family.
Conjurer (Hellhound) = Wolverine IIC
Proof:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213010515/http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42093.0/all.html

I mean, you are telling physics to go screw itself with enough power to let you travel faster than light, its going to fight back as best as it can. - VhenRa, on TDS

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2015, 19:53:52 »
In the middle of the Catapult article.  It may be up late, since it has 16 different variants. #P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2015, 00:58:26 »
Maybe we should stop calling them 'of the Week', as it seems like we've got what, four people itching to write them on their own schedule?

Perhaps a nomenclature more like Alpha Strike Unit: (Unit type) (Unit name), such as Alpha Strike Unit: BM STG-** Stinger. For non-unit descriptions, like artillery or Force Abilities, Alpha Strike Tactica: (name), such as Alpha Strike Tactica: Making the Elite Elit-ier with Force Abilities.

Speaking of that, I was thinking about writing that Aerospace tactica - AFs are a part of EVERY game we play unless it's sub-300 points, and even then I've had friends include cheap light AFs...

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2015, 02:01:15 »
Suggest something not a mech?
Well then.  Tell me about the Ajax and Manteuffel, and talk to me a little bit more about BA troopers (or infantry in general)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2015, 02:20:54 »
For Christmas '11 we got both the Hunchback and the Hetzer, if you could repeat that it would be great

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2015, 11:01:53 »
Maybe we should stop calling them 'of the Week', as it seems like we've got what, four people itching to write them on their own schedule?

Perhaps a nomenclature more like Alpha Strike Unit: (Unit type) (Unit name), such as Alpha Strike Unit: BM STG-** Stinger. For non-unit descriptions, like artillery or Force Abilities, Alpha Strike Tactica: (name), such as Alpha Strike Tactica: Making the Elite Elit-ier with Force Abilities.

Speaking of that, I was thinking about writing that Aerospace tactica - AFs are a part of EVERY game we play unless it's sub-300 points, and even then I've had friends include cheap light AFs...

I'd rather keep the titles how they are, since that's how they're saved on my computer when I write them. ;)  That said, of course you can write that particular article.  Artillery is mine and will remain mine (both due to proximity and how I lurve me some arty), but I confess I haven't actually used ASFs yet.  I'll be rectifying that in roughly ~1.5 hours, but until then my knowledge of them is purely relegated to how to shoot them down from the ground.

The Hunchback is already on the schedule (first week of November), but I've added the Hetzer to the list (and the Ajax, Manteuffel, and Legacy).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2015, 22:12:43 »
I hope you guys are as giddy and excited as I am for the article tomorrow.  I adore artillery in Alpha Strike, and without bragging too much I'm pretty damn good at it.  This should be fun.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 06 July 2015, 00:02:59 »
Sweet, artillery.  I do enjoy a good shelling.

and if I am not mistaken, I don't have to worry quite as much about my tanks being caught on fire (Hellraiser has determined the best way to deal with the bricks I like to take in TW scale play is Inferno IVs).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 06 July 2015, 16:23:27 »
I've got a Schrek/Narukami article if you want to put it on the schedule.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 06 July 2015, 16:34:45 »
Next open slot is July 20.  I'll put it up there.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 06 July 2015, 16:51:34 »
In the middle of a pretty bad thunderstorm, lost power.  I'm try to have the article up when it comes back, but it may wait until tomorrow.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 06 July 2015, 20:46:52 »
And it's up! :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2015, 19:21:27 »
Apologies for the lateness of the article this week, folks.  I'll try to have something up tomorrow, but drill has me exhausted this weekend.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 16 July 2015, 22:14:23 »
I'd like to put in a request for the Falconer and Mad Dog/Vulture, if possible.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 19 July 2015, 23:43:18 »
In light of the Banshee article I just posted that actually took three whole posts in order to actually put up, I'm taking tomorrow off.  I'll do the Schrek/Narukami another time, unless someone else has an article already close to ready for it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 20 July 2015, 22:07:46 »
Schrek is up.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2015, 22:06:04 »
i'll be putting up that Talon article on the 27th O0
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2015, 15:15:06 »
Dang, I'm slipping again.  Uh... it's GenCon? O:-)

More seriously, I'll try to get the Centurion article knocked out tomorrow.  I'm not looking forward to that many variants (and will not be covering the Republic Era Omni), but at least it should be shorter than the Banshee, and there aren't a whole lot of weird and unusual variants and specials to cover.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2015, 19:36:44 »
i'll take the Legacy for next week (8/17), as well as the Devastator (9/8) and Manteuffel (9/14) for the September of Steiner.  perhaps even the Fafnir, but we'll see how i manage with these on my plate first.
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Bongfu

• Warrant Officer
  • Commander of the Crater Cats
    • North Texas Battletech
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2015, 19:37:36 »
The Devastator for my birthday! You should not have!  O0
North Texas Battletech

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2015, 20:10:06 »
holy shit, you serious? :o

must be providence  8)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2015, 23:36:57 »
Eventually I'll recover from that Banshee article and get back to writing.  It probably won't be the Centurion, though, because 15 variants sounds like the exact opposite of recovering from burnout.

I'll get your reservations on the schedule, though.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2015, 00:08:08 »
requesting a slot for the Wasp LAM. i have a draft of the article already. just needs some refinement.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 16 August 2015, 18:28:30 »
or should i just post it since nobody seems to be following the schedule anyway?

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 16 August 2015, 21:46:27 »
i'll be posting the Legacy up tomorrow as scheduled.  i think a specified date might help lock in a slot.  but from what i understand you don't have to post with the schedule.  however it is a good idea so we don't flood the board with articles at the same time or end up working on the same writeup (unlikely as that may be).

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2015, 22:35:40 »
then i guess i'll take the 24th.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 17 August 2015, 04:30:38 »
cool cool  O0

okay, while wrapping up and formatting my article something came to me, but i really wanted to check / discuss it with you guys first before i went and changed anything on my own.  Alpha Strike Mech of the Week is a really clunky title, as well as being technically inaccurate.  we're pretty much running two a week at this point.  personally i was thinking that Alpha Strike Review would be a good name for our articles.  that way we're free of the time and unit constraint.  plus ASR is easier to work with than AS MotW. :P  for now i will be sticking with it though, as i would like to find some consensus on the issue, even if that consensus is not to change anything. 

thoughts?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 17 August 2015, 09:15:35 »
It's supposed to be " of the week", but then we had like three feet posted within three days of each other.  I made the schedule... and promptly burned out on a 14k word Banshee article.  It should still be "of the week".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 17 August 2015, 09:36:02 »
I will start on the Centurion.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 24 August 2015, 11:27:20 »
I will take the 31st for the Centurion.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 04 September 2015, 09:08:24 »
Uziel will be up when I get home in a couple hours.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

starscream

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 03 December 2015, 12:43:46 »
Hi, are the articles still coming or on a hiatus?
I was very interested in some of the mechs scheduled! :)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #43 on: 10 August 2016, 16:30:04 »
Because nobody's done one in a while, and because I am clearly mad, I have just posted the Wolverine.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2016, 18:30:59 »
Bless you, sir, for not being a lazy piece of crap like I've been.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2016, 20:52:44 »
Thinking about a Demolisher article, because Demo-chan needs some love!  (and not at all because those twin AC/20s are tapping me on the shoulder blades).

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #46 on: 10 August 2016, 21:05:50 »
Only on the condition that you let MadCapellan find you a proper image to start the Demo-chan article off with. :)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #47 on: 11 August 2016, 09:07:59 »
I have a request. Can someone to a 'Duds to Studs' article, showcasing some 'Mechs that are typically ignored under Total Warefare but shine in Alpha Strike?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #48 on: 11 August 2016, 09:12:39 »
That would be a huge article, as evidenced by the fact that when reading your post, it took me five seconds to think of six units that qualify. Imagine the full list...

I suppose if we condense every unit that uses some kind of AC/5 for its ranged punch into one entry, that might trim things down a bit, as every single one of those gained immensely in this system.
My wife writes books

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #49 on: 11 August 2016, 09:37:29 »
It doesn't have to be all of them or go into great depth, just cover a few notables. Maybe two in each weight class? There can always be sequils if it's popular!  :D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 11 August 2016, 13:51:13 »
I already did an article on the Banshee and Uraeus, both of which qualify. :)

The Clint gains a stupid amount.  So does the Rifleman, because heat is now optional.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #51 on: 11 August 2016, 14:44:26 »
You already did the Shadow Hawk at least, and early models of that REALLY gain in AS. Like I said earlier, anything where an AC/5 is all or most of your long-range firepower gains immensely in Alpha Strike, with most of them becoming very effective skirmishers. Clint, Shadow Hawk, Hermes II, Sentinel...you can't afford to ignore any of them anymore, and because so many are small and cheap it's really easy to field them in numbers, which gets really scary really fast.

Hell...Vedettes and Scorpions. When was the last time you saw a lance of those scare off anything under 60 tons? In AS, if you don't address them quickly, they'll tear you apart faster than a school of piranha in a cartoon.
My wife writes books

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 27 August 2016, 14:56:20 »
I have updated the first post, because looking at the Vulture Mk III article made me want to do more of them.  This time won't be as breakneck, and I don't want to burn out.  Requests are currently on "not now" status.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 28 August 2016, 20:32:31 »
Article is up, went with the Dasher II for now.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #54 on: 02 June 2017, 13:57:51 »
Hey Scotty: your master list links in the first post for the Dasher II and Koshi both link to the Koshi.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 02 June 2017, 15:32:20 »
I know I didn't coordinate my Wolf Trap article with anyone, but any chance you might add it to your roster of posted AS mech articles Scotty?

firekite

• Corporal
« Reply #56 on: 10 March 2018, 00:08:26 »
any new articles ? my wife and I find them helpful.

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #57 on: 04 August 2019, 01:20:18 »
These are great! Why am I only just finding out about these now! Off to continue reading the backlog!