Author Topic: (Answered) Double Blind and Aerospace  (Read 1545 times)

vagabond820

• Private
(Answered) Double Blind and Aerospace
« on: 25 December 2015, 22:49:22 »
In the Double Blind rules (DBR) under the Spotting Phase, it says "Sensor ranges for airborne units do not change, though LOS exists to all units on the playing area. ... The airborne unit is considered to b in Hex 0909 of the ground mapsheet... "

My understanding is thus, when making the sensor check for non-'aero-on-map' aerofighters and dropships the check is made from 0909 of the map sheet corresponding to their low altitude hex as per TW.  This is for simplicity and speed of play despite making the edges sensor blind spots.  And I assume as per the rules for 'aero-on-map' that the hex is whatever hex the unit occupies.  This all makes sense.

However, the rules for visual ranges is a tad less clear to me for airborne units. 

Do the rule for sensors on airborne apply to visual ranges?  If so, this means that its nearly impossible to perform any kind of attack with an aerofighter in any night time conditions (non-Dusk/Dawn) as you can only target a handful of hexes at the end of your flight path.  And given you can select a flight path that is well off that of hex 0909 or that each velocity forces a move of 16 ground hexes if using 'aero-on-map' it becomes very difficult to obtain the 5 or 10 hexes of visual range needed to execute an attack.  The rules as written make aerospace nearly useless at night as you can't even bomb a hex out of visual range as you cannot see it.

I think this needs to be reviewed and clarified.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2016, 13:54:10 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Double Blind and Aerospace
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2016, 13:53:47 »
Quote from: Sensor Spotting, Tactical Operations p. 221
Airborne Units: Sensor ranges for airborne units do not change, though LOS exists to all units on the playing area.  Once a sensor has revealed a unit, standard LOS must be established to the unit before it can be revealed.

Quote from: Aerospace Units, Tactical Operations p. 222
Airborne Units: Sensor ranges for airborne units do not change, though LOS exists to all units on the playing area.

Once a target has been detected by Aerospace Fighters' sensors, visual spotting ranges are irrelevant for sensor spotting as they automatically have LOS to all units.  Ergo, they have no issues targeting any unit they can detect with their sensors.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

vagabond820

• Private
Re: (Answered) Double Blind and Aerospace
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 12:55:45 »
Ok, so if I'm understanding the mechanics of what you are saying along with what is printed in the book.

While using double blind, you may make an attack on any unit that is valid per normal LOS rules AND has been 'spotted' either by visual or sensor elements.  Meaning that if we where in an open field of wheat in Battlemechs under Pitch Black condition with no spot lights at a range of 4 hexes (1 outside visual) and I spot you with my radar, I can declare attacks against you even though I have no visual?

And as such, an Aerofighter under Pitch Black conditions can target any unit along its attack path that are outside of 5 hexes (max visual range) as long as they have a "blip" (as you refer to it here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=37874.0). 

Am I correct in my understanding?

Register