Author Topic: NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 61948 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #30 on: 02 August 2016, 15:50:01 »
...please tell me you don't mean Henderson.  :-\

Huh?  No Way!  I saw that mugging happen.  It would have triggered my PTSD for years to actually be the recipient of that garbage.

Oldham was who I meant.  And even then, I was being rather facetious.  O0
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 02 August 2016, 16:07:08 »
Ok, good- wasn't entirely sure, was kind of staring at it thinking "there's no way he means THAT... right?"

Don't get me wrong, the idea of cross-checking a ref in the face occurred a few times for me, but to actually see someone do it was bizarre.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #32 on: 04 August 2016, 14:59:42 »
Yeah, I happened to be watching that game at the bar when that happened.  No one else was even paying attention to the TV at that moment for various reasons.  Except me.  I promptly called for everyone to watch the screen (laced with colloquialisms and profanity) as they replayed it ten times. 

I remember the discussion here, too.  My take was if the linesman was wearing an opposing team's jersey, the excuse given for wrecking the guy might have flown.  But as it happened, the linesman was dressed as a zebra, as all linesmen tend to be dressed. He should have sat out for several months.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

froggie

• Recruit
« Reply #33 on: 05 August 2016, 11:16:54 »
I just hope my Wild make it past the first round.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #34 on: 05 August 2016, 20:18:45 »
I just hope my Wild make it past the first round.

Considering their new coach's track record, getting to the first round is easy. Getting past Game 7, however...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: 11 August 2016, 14:40:55 »
Hey, guess who just quit on the Avs? Did you say the head coach and the VP of Hockey Operations? Then you are correct!

The question is why? Why did Roy leave the team a month before training camps open?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #36 on: 11 August 2016, 22:18:06 »
Well... why, we don't really know, but there's a few hints.

+Apparently he and Sakic haven't been getting along- a report says they haven't spoken since the draft, and not often before that. That's a problem.

+Ownership turned down nearly every opportunity to go after free agents Roy wanted to try for, instead preferring to stick with the roster they already had. (Considering how poor the team has been the past couple of years, Roy may have had a point here)

+Sakic just left on vacation, and suddenly Roy quit while Sakic wasn't around. That might be coincidence, but hard to believe.

+Interestingly, some reports say that he may very well have let the Avalanche know about his decision the way we all found out- by social media, rather than letting his employer know about it beforehand. If so, that's utterly baffling- and probably will be remembered by other teams in case Roy wants to coach in the NHL again someday.

All in all, the Avs might be better off here. That 2014 team was pretty fun, but had deep flaws. Those flaws became fatal over the next two seasons, and there's not much reason to think it will be better this year. The grumbling back home has been noticeable, and there's a strong belief that Roy would have been offered up as a sacrifice to buy time for Sakic if the team struggled. Now that safety net is gone for Sakic- if the team struggles, he may be the fall guy.

Question though... who takes over? Most teams have already snapped up available coach candidates, no team is going to let an assistant coach walk mere weeks before camp starts... the only NHL-caliber candidate that comes to mind at this hour for me is Bob Hartley, who is pretty unlikely to ever want to coach in Colorado again. So... now what?

What a mess.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 12 August 2016, 07:06:29 »
Grab the head coach of their AHLK/ECHL affiliate?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #38 on: 12 August 2016, 09:41:37 »
And Roy seemed so grown up in this new NHL head coach incarnation.

Roy has a good point if the team was disinterested in doing the things necessary to produce a winner, and doubly so if there really was no communication between Roy and Sakic.  But that last idea seems strange.  Sakic should be easy for Roy to work with in this instance.  Yet, if that's not so, it points most likely toward ownership.  If the owners won't let Sakic do certain things, they aren't going to start listening to Roy, their mind is made up about how they are spending their money.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #39 on: 12 August 2016, 10:18:15 »
Oh, and in the interest of forwarding a suggestion for Roy's replacement, can't somebody get Mike Bossy on the phone?  He needs his turn to be ground down at the coaching millstone.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2016, 15:12:18 »
Millbury. Yeah. That will work.  :D

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2016, 17:25:28 »
Oh, and in the interest of forwarding a suggestion for Roy's replacement, can't somebody get Mike Bossy on the phone?  He needs his turn to be ground down at the coaching millstone.

Unless he recently changed his mind, Mike Bossy stated he didn't want to coach anyone but the kids from the Timbits program. He doesn't want the ulcers that come with peoples that forgot that hockey is supposed to be a fun game.  :P :P ;D O:-) O:-)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 13 August 2016, 19:34:51 »
Millbury. Yeah. That will work.  :D

I reserve the right to ban your account and launch your computer into the sun for that kind of blasphemy.  ;D

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #43 on: 13 August 2016, 21:56:28 »
Unless he recently changed his mind, Mike Bossy stated he didn't want to coach anyone but the kids from the Timbits program. He doesn't want the ulcers that come with peoples that forgot that hockey is supposed to be a fun game.  :P :P ;D O:-) O:-)

Ahhh, the Bossy One is wise.  Better to keep one's heart and health in mind when deciding these things.

I reserve the right to ban your account and launch your computer into the sun for that kind of blasphemy.  ;D

Milbury humor is the slightly rotten low-hanging  fruit of the NHL front office circles.  >:D

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #44 on: 14 August 2016, 00:34:44 »
Mike Keenan isn't doing anything these days  ;D

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #45 on: 14 August 2016, 10:41:43 »
Mike Keenan isn't doing anything these days  ;D

Or for the past about 20 years, when you look at his record.

Seriously, has anyone ever turned a single championship (one where he hardly was coach anyway- that was Messier's team) into two decades of piss-poor coaching jobs quite the way he has? I've never been impressed with Keenan, at any of his many stops along the way- his defensive and penalty kill setups are ridiculous. If not for '94 no one would have bothered with him by the end of that decade- but with a Cup on his resume (again, one he could have stayed home from and not affected the Rangers), he somehow still gets talked about by talking heads like he's some kind of guru.

There's a rumor in the Denver area, by the way, that one of the people being looked at is Peter Forsberg. Because hiring a past player worked really well- at least Roy has previous coaching experience at the QMJ level. I have to believe Sakic is smarter than to do something like this- bring him in as part of your staff, whatever, hell he might be a good choice as a scout, but... find a real coach, Joe.

(Idea: Have Adam Foote be your interim coach for a few weeks until Boston has their first three-game losing streak, then hire Claude Julien when the Bruins inevitably fire him as a result)

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 14 August 2016, 16:29:10 »
(Idea: Have Adam Foote be your interim coach for a few weeks until Boston has their first three-game losing streak, then hire Claude Julien when the Bruins inevitably fire him as a result)

Foote's name came up as an idea as I was trying to piece together who might be available the the Avs could potentially hire.  Nothing came up in his bio about any coaching though.  Travis Green, Kevin Dineen, and Paul Mclean would all make sense as decent hires.  All of them are also unlikely because of the fact they are all assistance of head coaches and time remaining leading up to camps and pre-season are short.  Bleacherreport threw out a couple interesting names in he junior ranks Brent Sutter and one former Av, Steve Konowalchuk.    Ted Nolan and Crazy Ronnie Wilson are out there too }:)

Edit:  Just noticed Tim Army is already on staff with the Avs as an assistant.  While he has no head coaching experience he is a hockey lifer and has some college head coaching experience.  Certainly, that is less that ideal, but if they can't find anyone else to hire, it may not be a bad initial way to fill the post.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2016, 16:34:07 by Firesprocket »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #47 on: 14 August 2016, 17:29:45 »
Konowalchuk? I mean... I hesitate to call him a former Av. Technically true, but I think he played, what, twelve games for them? Screw that guy.  ;D

Nah, it's safe to say that no one is letting a current assistant coach go anywhere, sadly. So it's either sweet-talk Hartley (possible, I suppose, it's different ownership in charge now than when he got canned), or gamble on a 'who?' candidate. Either way, we'll know soon, because Sakic has a bit over a month to camp starting, and the sooner he's got someone the sooner they can start prep work for that.

Man, Roy screwed this team over with his timing... ugh.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 14 August 2016, 19:38:28 »
Konowalchuk? I mean... I hesitate to call him a former Av. Technically true, but I think he played, what, twelve games for them? Screw that guy.  ;D

Just shy of 100 games before he had to retire due to medical reasons.  Didn't realize it, but he was also an assistant on Sacco's staff.

Man, Roy screwed this team over with his timing... ugh.
I would say that the overall management of the team is a disaster and screwed itself.  Roy just kicked the door off its hinges when management thought it could go through at least another storm (i.e. another season).  If his input, however bad it is, was truly frozen out, then ownership should have just shown him the door after the season was over.  The fact that he quit on them and they didn't see this coming shows how extremely short sighted they are.  Removing Roy after the season was the right move and they failed to make it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #49 on: 14 August 2016, 20:18:49 »
Roy is exactly the kind of guy who would smile at this and the timing especially, unfortunately.  He can be a real bastard, and we all know that.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #50 on: 15 August 2016, 07:14:36 »
Hey Hellbie, I hear Adam Oates is looking for a head coaching job.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #51 on: 15 August 2016, 09:14:49 »
Hey Hellbie, I hear Adam Oates is looking for a head coaching job.

After his time in DC? I doubt he has any expectations of that any time soon. (Actually isn't he on a coaching staff already?)

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 16 August 2016, 00:31:02 »
Oates is on a staff an an assist coach this year, I can't remember which team though.  One legitimate guy left out in the pool that isn't tied to anything at the moment Luke Richardson.  He elected to move on after the Sens didn't offer him their coaching vacancy.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: 25 August 2016, 14:57:23 »
The Blue Jackets' AHL team gave up their head coach to the Avalanche. Jared Bednar will be the bench boss for the upcoming season. Interestingly enough the new coach has exactly zero experience in the NHL, only playing for minor league teams.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #54 on: 25 August 2016, 15:06:11 »
*repeatedly punching self in groin*

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 25 August 2016, 21:53:38 »
I don't believe that anyone they could have interviewed at this point was going to be the best candidate that could have materialized had Roy decided to leave at the beginning of the summer.  That said, the only strike I see against this guy is he never snuffed the NHL.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #56 on: 27 August 2016, 15:55:23 »
Wings did that last season.  Blash got a mediocre to sub-mediocre team to make the playoffs.  First year as an NHL coach.

I guess that extended some kind of streak or other, I don't know...

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #57 on: 22 September 2016, 07:45:21 »
So a bunch of us from here have run a Fantasy Hockey League over on yahoo for the last decade or so; this is our 8th year as a Keeper league. We'd love to bring in some new teams in an expansion effort.

Unlike the NHL, there's no fees involved. :)

We'd love to have anyone interested to join us. The season starts in a couple of weeks and we've time to fold new teams into our expansion draft. As long as you promise to maintain your team on a daily/weekly basis (and not let it sit for weeks on end), you're welcome to play.

If you're interested, PM me your email addy and I'll get an invite out to you forthwith. Hope to see some of you involved!
Eh.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #58 on: 22 September 2016, 08:08:18 »
So a bunch of us from here have run a Fantasy Hockey League over on yahoo for the last decade or so; this is our 8th year as a Keeper league. We'd love to bring in some new teams in an expansion effort.

Unlike the NHL, there's no fees involved. :)

We'd love to have anyone interested to join us. The season starts in a couple of weeks and we've time to fold new teams into our expansion draft. As long as you promise to maintain your team on a daily/weekly basis (and not let it sit for weeks on end), you're welcome to play.

If you're interested, PM me your email addy and I'll get an invite out to you forthwith. Hope to see some of you involved!

Alternate version:

HEY KIDS! Still angry at TPTB for taking your faction of choice behind the woodshed in the Jihad/Wars of Reaving? Here's your chance for a little revenge! Come join Battletech Fantasy Hockey and declare revenge on GhostBear for the depantsing you took over the last decade from him! Entry is free, setting your lines is a snap, there's no salary cap to track, and you get to make people like GhostBear and Hellbie look like idiots. There's literally nothing to lose, so SIGN UP NOW!

*Offer limited to first half-dozen applicants. Offer not valid in nation of Luxembourg. This end up, do not bend. Cash value 1/20 of 1 cent. Montreal sucks. You cannot haz cheeseburger.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #59 on: 22 September 2016, 11:43:49 »
It's the first day of fall, it's time for hockey to commence soon.  The Red Wings are going to be great again, if great really means winning just enough to continue bathing in mediocre sauce.

Let's get some Stompin' Tom Connors thumpin' up in here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJvrD80nJ4