Author Topic: SAW Problems with Battleforce Special Abilities  (Read 2774 times)

Editorial

• Recruit
SAW Problems with Battleforce Special Abilities
« on: 07 August 2016, 23:16:30 »
Okay, I'm relatively new here, but I've stalked these forums for ages, trying to introduce my buddies to the magic of battlin' 'mechs, but I can't find an answer anywhere, and I've run into a problem with Solaris Armor Werks.

My friend and I are working to make a little BattleForce fight set in 3080, during the Clan Invasion, with Advanced Quick Strike rules so we can have our own larger forces.

I, however, love to make my own custom units to specialize my army, and whenever I make a vehicle unit with SAW, and add a compartment or amphibious modules for water travel and infantry capacity, the battleforce stats don't show the appropriate special abilities!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or what the program is lacking, or if there's another I'd need in place of SAW.

;TLDR I want to make a unit using SAW, but the battleforce special abilities aren't showing up, help!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: SAW Problems with Battleforce Special Abilities
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2016, 23:38:06 »
As far as I know that feature was never fully implemented in Solaris Armor Works.

The bad news is that the developer seems to have stop work on SAW some time ago and as such there is little hope that they will return to finish it.

For alternatives I'm not sure there is anything that correctly assigns/generates Battleforce stats complete with special abilities.

Editorial

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2016, 01:28:15 »
Oh, that's a bit disappointing. I suppose I'll have to do it manually. Time to hit the books, and hard!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2016, 05:43:13 »
While you would have to do the conversion by hand, you can generate custom unit cards on the MUL and save them as PDFs, so you can at least have a permanent printable version when you're done.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Editorial

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2016, 17:23:02 »
Okay, I have another question regarding Alpha Strike. I can't find it anywhere in the rulebook.

My friend and I are looking to make our own forces, and we decided we'd set a PV limit for each side of 8,000.
But, given the space we have, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate value. Is it?

I've been organizing my forces into lances, but does each lance move as a single unit on the field, or is each lance simply an organization of 4 units that move separately? What's the best way to make the game-play coherent but large-scale?

We're really new to this, it seems way better for larger scale play, which I love the idea of. By the way, thank you guys so much for helping a poor greenhorn out.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2016, 17:36:00 »
No problem.

Alphastrike does have each mech move separately and be it's own unit while still being organized into a lance.

Battleforce is the next step up and the rules for it are in Strategic Operations.

Next step up is Strategic Battleforce and Abstract Combat System found in Interstellar Operations.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2016, 17:50:45 »
Okay, I have another question regarding Alpha Strike. I can't find it anywhere in the rulebook.

My friend and I are looking to make our own forces, and we decided we'd set a PV limit for each side of 8,000.
But, given the space we have, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate value. Is it?

I've been organizing my forces into lances, but does each lance move as a single unit on the field, or is each lance simply an organization of 4 units that move separately? What's the best way to make the game-play coherent but large-scale?

We're really new to this, it seems way better for larger scale play, which I love the idea of. By the way, thank you guys so much for helping a poor greenhorn out.

8,000 is pretty high, by comparison the last game I played was 500 points per side, and featured a Clan Binary fighting 10 Inner Sphere mechs, 4 tanks and 4 squads of BattleArmour.  Skills on both sides were mostly 3, with a couple of 2s in there.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Editorial

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2016, 22:28:14 »
We looked through the Strategic Operations rulebook for a little while, and decided, based on the recommendations there, we'd go for a reinforced battalion each (we both decided to go mercenary, inner sphere structure) comprised of 76 elements. I think, based on that, we went for 2000 PV instead.

Thanks so much for the help, you guys. It really made this a lot easier. We're used to just CBT, mech v mech deathmatches.