Author Topic: Camo Specs Facebook Live Sessions Coming Soon!  (Read 2918 times)

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Camo Specs Facebook Live Sessions Coming Soon!
« on: 04 September 2016, 18:13:48 »
Brace yourself folks, facebook live video tutorials and paint sessions are coming soon. Stay tuned for dates and times and please post your suggestions below or on our Facebook page for what you'd like to see. Anything from a specific scheme, to a certain technique, or really anything you think would be interesting to watch on a live video stream.

So far I'm thinking about quick painting techniques for simple single and two color units, assembly tutorials for those more difficult miniatures, sculpting and modding details, blending and highlighting, freehand details, working with decals, basing techniques, working with specific media (paint brands, washes, water effects, etc.). But we want to work towards what our followers want to see so let us know and be as vague or specific as you like!

Additionally, don't worry if you miss them when they happen or don't use Facebook, we'll be setting up a youtube channel to host the videos there as well so you can replay and follow along at your convenience.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Camo Specs Facebook Live Sessions Coming Soon!
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2016, 20:57:00 »
Last sentence important there, for those of us who aren't booking our faces.

Looking forward to seeing what comes up. If I can ride a personal bugbear, keep the ration 2 (something the new painters can grok) to 2 (intermediate painters can grok) to 1 (high end painters can grok). Otherwise one runs the risk of producing episodes that CSO guys dig, but the other 99% can't quite get a grip on ...

Good luck!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

THEMONSTER

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2016, 22:07:02 »
If i may be so bold, when can we be ecspecting the YouTube channel?
Blaine Lee Pardoe did nothing wrong.

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2016, 22:36:27 »
Stoked for this! Most BT related stuff on Youtube is 10 years old and shot with a potato. Would be great to have some high-quality videos!

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2016, 10:17:59 »
Hey folks, I've ordered my camera mount and am working on gathering interest for my first video session. I'm really hoping I can get my first video done early next week but I'm sorting out the details of admin and permission stuff on FB.

Themonster: To answer your question, we've created a youtube channel, and as soon as we have content loaded on the page(we have zero videos right now), I'll get an announcement out here and on FB.

In addition to the live sessions being posted there, I'm hoping to get little short tips and tricks and things like that up as well.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2016, 20:59:04 »
Thank you, looking forward to these!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2016, 21:26:57 »
As I'm just getting into metal mini's (got intro boxset now getting IWM's) I would love to see gluing of some more complex mini's. The one's I've glued have only been arms, legs, and weapons (mauler,akuma), but I still have to put together a crab and MAR IIC which is much harder (all parts are not attached).

I've watched a bunch of WH tutorials on painting and chosen the paint a Ryuken scheme. Some suggestions of colours from reddit I chose Vallejo Model German Grey, basalt Grey and sky grey. If you don't have anything in particular currently plan to paint It would be amazing to see, especially as I'm told grey is an easier colour to star. Not sure if you're planning a beginners guide or just videos of you painting.

So far I've primed my mini's but haven't painted. Below is what I was going for. Also a guide to different basing options would be amazing.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2016, 08:57:43 »
Well I was planning on doing a tutorial on the Ryuken-Yon since it's charcoal with blue hightlights so that might be one you want to look out for.  It will probably be a bit before it's done though since my quick drybrush and wash techniques will be done first and what I want to do with the Ryuken-Yon is a bit more advanced with some quick blending.

I think your colors are probably correct for what you want to do.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2016, 10:22:22 »
Red, for the love of all that's holy, how do I paint RED!?

But more generally, I'd like videos that focus on the core fundamentals. Everyone seems to skip them in their own tutorials, but some of us could use help with "how thick should the paint be" and "where do I paint highlights." The latter, especially: not everyone has good spatial awareness, especially when dealing with something at such a small scale and outside of normal experiences. I'd also like to see a wide variety of techniques. Too often only one way of doing things is shown, and that leads to frustration from those folks who don't want, or have trouble with, that technique. So, for example, if you do a video on using putty to fill bases, also show how to use spackle, or sand and superglue, or just sawing the base off and mounting on a clear hexbase. Cross-reference everything. If you mention drybrushing, put a link up to a video going over how to drybrush. If you do a new fundamentals video, go back through your old ones and update them with new links.

Frankly, there is no one good place right now to get all the info people need on painting miniatures. I hope Camo Specs can fill that void.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2016, 17:27:10 »
Red, for the love of all that's holy, how do I paint RED!?

Funnily enough, I've never had much trouble with red. White and yellow are my frustration points. 

But more generally, I'd like videos that focus on the core fundamentals. Everyone seems to skip them in their own tutorials, but some of us could use help with "how thick should the paint be" and "where do I paint highlights." The latter, especially: not everyone has good spatial awareness, especially when dealing with something at such a small scale and outside of normal experiences.

This. So much this. A good fundamentals video, something along the lines of "you want to paint, but have never held a brush before? Never fear!" would be a gigantic help.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2016, 22:36:08 »
I'm going to be doing Yellow next week, and then most likely Red for the next one I have time.  The event is scheduled for the 13th. and a thread is up with the announcement.

With FB live, I should be able to answer questions on the video as I'm waiting for paint to dry so I hope I can help out as many people that are able to watch.

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2016, 22:52:37 »
I'm going to be doing Yellow next week, and then most likely Red for the next one I have time.  The event is scheduled for the 13th. and a thread is up with the announcement.

With FB live, I should be able to answer questions on the video as I'm waiting for paint to dry so I hope I can help out as many people that are able to watch.

Do you have the FB account setup yet?

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2016, 22:59:14 »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2016, 19:31:29 »
Could you do a video on brush care? I have some flat brushes that have been curling at the ends. (not separating due to paint in the ferrule. I can't get that little curl out. Drives me nuts. I'm willing to even send you one.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2016, 07:24:46 »
Absolutely. It was already on my list of things to make a video about so hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have one for that done.

Thanks for the request. Not sure if I'll get another live session up soon, but I setup a Twitch.tv account for that instead. I'm kind of on a roll with these other videos but that's still in the back of my mind to get some live videos going.