Author Topic: Worth doing - "Mini of the fortnight"?  (Read 36094 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Re: Worth doing - "Mini of the fortnight"?
« Reply #90 on: 07 February 2017, 18:13:02 »
Schedule for February and March:
  • Inner Sphere: Marauder and Marauder II (2/13)
  • Clan: Adder (Puma) (2/27)
  • Inner Sphere: Awesome (3/13) (tentative)
  • Clan: Gladiator (Executioner) (3/27) (tentative)
If you'd like to see something different in March, now's the time to request something!

April's 'Mechs are tentatively the Vindicator and Nova (Black Hawk).

I've been trying to paint something for each fortnight.  (I should participate too, right?)  It's been fun, although I lost a lot of time on the Ryoken due to work responsibilities.  It may not be done before the post for the Marauder goes up.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #91 on: 07 February 2017, 21:45:58 »
Good list, albeit my Pumas are at low levels ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #92 on: 08 February 2017, 04:05:22 »
Hooboy, do I have a treat for the executioner.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 12 March 2017, 21:50:46 »
I haven't received any requests, so we'll go with this for the rest of March and April:
  • Clan: Executioner (Gladiator) (3/27)
  • Inner Sphere: Vindicator (4/10)
  • Clan: Nova (Black Hawk) (4/24)
Do we have any requests for May?  If not, we'll do the Grasshopper and the Kit Fox (Uller).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 13 March 2017, 18:39:09 »
Maybe the Commando, and Nova for June?

I haven't received any requests, so we'll go with this for the rest of March and April:
Do we have any requests for May?  If not, we'll do the Grasshopper and the Kit Fox (Uller).

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 15 March 2017, 08:01:45 »
Do you mean a different 'Mech for June?  We're doing the Nova (Black Hawk) in April.

I'm fine with putting in the Commando for May.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 15 March 2017, 10:52:04 »
Ahah, missed that.  Sorry!  How about the Dasher/Fire Moth then for June.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #97 on: 15 March 2017, 15:28:19 »
Sure!  So that's the Commando and Kit Fox for May and the Fire Moth for June?

Inner Sphere spot for June defaults to the Grasshopper if there aren't any requests for that slot.

Of the 3050 Clan 'Mechs, we have these left: Mist Lynx, Viper, Ice Ferret, Hellbringer, Gargoyle, and Dire Wolf.  I'm tempted to hold either the Hellbringer or Dire Wolf until the end to close out the REVIVAL series with a bang.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 15 March 2017, 18:03:26 »
How about the Templar, or the Avatar?

I confess I'm most interested in those minis with multiple configs - and omnis should be featured.

(But then I'm wierd - I loath the WYSIWIG concept, but love modding  :worktroll:
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #99 on: 15 March 2017, 18:48:23 »
Hey,  Just means you get to collect more mechs!

How about the Templar, or the Avatar?

I confess I'm most interested in those minis with multiple configs - and omnis should be featured.

(But then I'm wierd - I loath the WYSIWIG concept, but love modding  :worktroll:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 15 March 2017, 20:30:14 »
More like I already have the 'Mechs - 196 unpainted BT scale at the moment - and don't see the point in exact duplicates ...

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 20 March 2017, 23:37:40 »
I'll schedule the Avatar for June.  Do you mind if I wait a few more months for the Templar?

I enjoy seeing what people have painted and modded.  There's a lot of talent here, and a lot ingenuity for modding.

I've been defaulting to (what I hope are) common miniatures to allow for more participation, including from novice and intermediate painters.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 21 March 2017, 02:46:30 »
I'm game for whatever is suggested.  I actually have a couple of omnis, clan and IS that I've been working on recently that have been chosen because they are specifically arm loadout types for magnet swaps.  Thankfully they havent been featured yet so I still have time to paint them.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 25 March 2017, 19:43:53 »

Is the Black Hawk KU permissible for for the  Black Hawk Fortnight?
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 19:48:05 by Hayden. »
Hayden

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #104 on: 25 March 2017, 20:56:13 »

I'd say yes, since otherwise that single sculpt will never come up.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #105 on: 31 March 2017, 09:12:27 »
Sure, we can do that.  The MWDA-inspired Black Hawk too, if anyone's painted that in metal (or if the MWDA figures can be repurposed for tabletop).

I've been wondering about the best approach to handle (what I perceive to be) less popular 'Mechs.  My best idea so far is to group them together (for example, do all three TRO 3058 medium OmniMechs together).  I'm open to suggestions.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 31 March 2017, 09:29:36 »
I've been wondering about the best approach to handle (what I perceive to be) less popular 'Mechs.  My best idea so far is to group them together (for example, do all three TRO 3058 medium OmniMechs together).  I'm open to suggestions.

With hundreds of Mech designs, I can't believe we are at the point where you need to worry about less popular ones... If you stay with older and popular Mechs, and with only 26 Mech types per year, I think there is enough to choose from for some time to come... If you think about it, just getting through TRO:3025 (the source book that many first cut their BattleTech teeth on) would take 2 years at that rate. Mix every other with the Clan 'Mechs from TRO:3050 and TRO:3055, and you could graduate university before we ran out of options. Plus, because these 3 TROs are the oldest, you have a better chance of people having minis in their collection. Just look at the response the Marauder thread has had, and people are still adding to it... And that doesn't include requested designs outside of those TROs... If you did a rotation of: Unseen, Clan from the 2 TROs mentioned, Inner Sphere from the 3 TROs mentioned, Special Request, <rinse and repeat>, we'd be years down the road before "unpopular" needed to be worried about.

Caz

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #107 on: 31 March 2017, 12:27:30 »
With hundreds of Mech designs, I can't believe we are at the point where you need to worry about less popular ones...
We will run out of TRO 3050 Clan 'Mechs late this year.  I was wondering what to do in the post-3050 Clan threads.

Just how popular are the 3055 Clan 'Mechs?  I figure several of them should be fairly popular (several IICs, Stone Rhino (Behemoth), etc.) but what about the Howler (Baboon) or Phantom?  (And does it even matter?)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #108 on: 31 March 2017, 13:04:27 »
I think you might be surprised at what might be in people's collections.   

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #109 on: 31 March 2017, 15:01:53 »
Alternatively, pick a linking theme. "Smoke Jaguar second line", "Inner Sphere missile boats", that sort of thing?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #110 on: 31 March 2017, 18:33:10 »
Worktroll has a good idea, you could also continue by era too to match release.  Older minis are always good to see.

We will run out of TRO 3050 Clan 'Mechs late this year.  I was wondering what to do in the post-3050 Clan threads.

Just how popular are the 3055 Clan 'Mechs?  I figure several of them should be fairly popular (several IICs, Stone Rhino (Behemoth), etc.) but what about the Howler (Baboon) or Phantom?  (And does it even matter?)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #111 on: 19 June 2017, 08:46:51 »
Do we have any requests for July?  If not, I'll schedule the Grasshopper and the Viper (Dragonfly).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 19 June 2017, 10:24:44 »
I'm good with those.   

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #113 on: 21 June 2017, 23:01:01 »
I'm up for Templar, Orion, or - shockingly - maybe a vehicle? Battle Armour? Or generically, infantry?

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #114 on: 22 June 2017, 12:10:43 »
I'll schedule the Orion for July and the Templar for September.  I'd like to do an intro box 'Mech for August.

I hadn't thought about battle armor.  Elementals would be a good fit for the Clan TRO 3050 tour.

What vehicles are popular for painted miniatures?

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #115 on: 22 June 2017, 13:16:58 »
I'll schedule the Orion for July and the Templar for September.  I'd like to do an intro box 'Mech for August.

I hadn't thought about battle armor.  Elementals would be a good fit for the Clan TRO 3050 tour.

My vote for Intro Box 'Mech is for the Cataphract.

Vehicles? I'd say likely the Rommel/ Patton, or Manticore. Maaaybe a Vedette? Hard to say, really.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #116 on: 22 June 2017, 14:44:07 »
For vehicles, there's a bunch in 3026 you could start with.  There is the known Pegasus, Savannah Master, ubiquitous Scorpion, humble Hetzer, Demolisher and the Vedette for starters.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #117 on: 23 June 2017, 08:52:11 »
My vote for Intro Box 'Mech is for the Cataphract.
The Cataphract isn't one of the 24 (modern) intro box 'Mechs though.  It's one of the 'Mechs they added for the lance packs.  I'll schedule the Cataphract for October.

How about the Trebuchet?

The tentative schedule so far through the beginning of October:
  • 6/26 (Clan) - Kit Fox (Uller)
  • 7/9 (IS) - Orion (requested)
  • 7/23 (Clan) - Viper (Dragonfly)
  • 8/6 (IS) - Trebuchet? (or another intro box 'Mech)
  • 8/20 (Clan) - Gargoyle (Man O' War)
  • 9/3 (IS) - Templar (requested)
  • 9/17 (Clan) - Mist Lynx (Koshi)
  • 10/1 (IS) - Cataphract (requested)
  • 10/15 (Clan) - Ice Ferret (Fenris)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #118 on: 25 June 2017, 20:59:27 »
If we're talking intro box, how about the Jenner?  (apologies if it's been done already)  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #119 on: 26 June 2017, 00:43:02 »
I'm fine with putting the Jenner in the August slot.  I don't think we've done it yet.

Register