Author Topic: What are the paints used on camospecs?  (Read 2045 times)

Uncle Gus

• Corporal
What are the paints used on camospecs?
« on: 06 September 2016, 22:26:26 »
Hi, so I've been directed to camospecs to see how the various factions/galaxies paint their mechs, so that's all good, but I don't know how to find the right paints. Is there somewhere that mentions what was used for these paint jobs? Or will I just have to look at the pictures and compare them to the paint pots in the shop to find the right colours?

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: What are the paints used on camospecs?
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2016, 23:48:18 »
It's actually best to ask the artist that painted the miniature that you're interested in for the colors they used. A lot of us use Vallejo and P3 paints as well as Reaper so if you want to just compare colors, you can do that as well.

There are a few color comparison charts that show brand to brand similarities if you choose to use one type of paint and an artist used something else.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2016, 00:05:18 »
A professional painter I knew bought craft paint, name me a couple and it'll probably come back to me.  And check out the painting threads here, its probably a good place to get advice for a noob.

* edit. Ceramcoat, mixed with water and sometimes clear floor finish.  Had to go looking.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2016, 00:10:14 by Red Pins »
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2016, 16:44:21 »
Yeah you can use hobby paints such as Apple Barrel (cheap) or something more pricey such as Army Painter, Valerjo, P3 etc. Don't know if any of the CSO guys use the cheap stuff, but there are some at that level that use the cheap stuff. YMWV though as the cheap stuff usually needs to be thinned out and the pigments are also often times in larger clumps.

DarkSpade

• Major
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MiniaturesAssemble

• Recruit
    • Miniatures Assemble!
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2016, 12:54:40 »
I do see a potential issue with this list.
New Citadel paints have different classes: Base paint, layer paint (which is somewhat transparent), dry brush, shade and washes, texture, and technical paints.
It's very hard to compare some of these to each other, when they perform very differently.
I do mostly use New Citadel (since I got into painting there), but I do have some others, Reaper Master (which is still wet after 8 years!), Model Color (transparent), Golden (interference paint), and some Anita's for UV reactive (I paint my base edges like that and have the mech name on the front face).
« Last Edit: 14 November 2016, 13:03:04 by MiniaturesAssemble »

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2016, 10:42:26 »
I guess I should look at this board more often. I'll echo B1B; if there's something you like, ask the artist. Most are reachable here, on FB, and sometimes their own sites. For my own stuff, there's a huge range. A little GW and Army Painter, a lot of P3, some Vallejo and Reaper, and if the colour is right or the paint job is older, some craft paint too (I preferred Delta, though more recent bottles don't stand up as well). To top it off, I've also got washes by Secret Weapon, and a full set of inks that IWM offered a number of years ago.

Techniques used will also have a big impact on the finished product. A nicely faded layer will look quite different from one that isn't blended at all, and may be hard to distinguish from two colours blended while wet. A light glaze can alter the hue, and even the photo editing and monitor settings can put things off from how they look in person. These differences obviously won't show up in a list of paints. I know that's not the most desirable answer, but it's the reality we have to work with.