Author Topic: GameCraft 6mm city streets & buildings  (Read 14499 times)

R4360

• Corporal
GameCraft 6mm city streets & buildings
« on: 10 December 2016, 17:51:13 »
I'm making a little progress on my 6mm city streets for Alpha Strike. The kits are from Gamecraft Miniatures, and consist of separate street & sidewalk sections, which are painted then glued together. The "bases" for the buildings are sections of MDF that are sold in a variety of sizes so that you can vary the size of the city blocks. Assembly has proven to be a bit tricky using the recommended glue (Weld-On #3), but I think I finally have the technique down.  Here's a few pics with a small city layout with some of my unfinished GameCraft 6mm buildings &  'Mechs for scale behind the spoiler:

I still need to add some rubber to the backsides of all the street and pavement areas to keep them from moving around, and add some weathering to the sidewalks, but that's fairly minor stuff. I also have several street sections that will need to be stripped & repainted due to some accidents with the lane marking stencils, but that'll have to keep for warmer weather. All in all I'm pleased so far with progress, even if it has been a bit slow going.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 11:14:20 by R4360 »

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
Re: GameCraft 6mm city streets
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2016, 00:23:25 »
they look good. may look in these for some of my play areas  O0

R4360

• Corporal
Re: GameCraft 6mm city streets
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2017, 09:43:21 »
I've got the last of my most recent GameCraft order assembled finally. It's a set of 6 scifi-ish buldings from their 6mm matboard line. Well, it's 3 buildings each with a mirror image, anyway. Sealing and paintwork will have to keep for warmer weather, but at least they're assembled now. I've also found a fairly thin non-skid material I can put on the bottom of the street & pavement sections to keep them from moving around on the table that I'll need to get glued on, but things are progressing reasonably well.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: GameCraft 6mm city streets & buildings
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2017, 16:58:37 »
Great stuff, nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Gregor 357

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2017, 15:38:23 »
Those look awesome. What technique did you use for painting and weathering the sidewalks? I've been trying some of my own, and can't get them to look decent for the life of me.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2017, 11:45:41 »
I haven't done any weathering on these at all, yet. Just painted the with the same satin finish paint I used on the building bases before gluing them on.  I'll go back later and do some washes & drybrushing so it doesn't look brand new, but I haven't had time yet.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2017, 14:56:14 by R4360 »

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2017, 10:28:47 »
I like how consistent the streets and structures look. It's going to look great when you're finished.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2017, 22:06:10 »
how much did the building's alone cost? and how hard was it to assemble those complex shaped scifi ones?

i have a baseboard with streets already on it, but have been trying to decide on buildings (for when i have the budget again)

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2017, 08:35:03 »
They're very reasonably priced. Most of mine come from multi-bulding sets that he sells. I'll provide some links.

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031/

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031-1/

Each of those contains 4 buildings each at a little over $30 for each set.

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/ultra-modern-future-city-buildings-6-285css052/

This is the set of 6 scifi buildings I pictured previously.  They go together pretty easily. Pay attention to how the parts are arranged on the card before you remove them and you'll be fine.

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/large-apartment-block-matboard-285css152/

This is an apartment block style building with a set of balconies on one side. You can see it in a few of the shots I posted earlier.  A narrower version of this building is also available but I haven't gotten one yet.

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-ruined-city-buildings-matboard-285css031-2/

This is the set the ruined building visible in some of my shots came from.

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/ultra-modern-future-city-building-285css050-5/

This one was probably the most difficult one to assemble, but it still wasn't too bad. The curved section is a bit tricky, but that's the worst part.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2017, 10:29:45 »

Since I've had such good luck with GameCraft's matboard buildings, I decided to order some of the laser cut plexiglass kits to try. I've already tried some of the city streets in plexiglass, but these will be the first structures. First one that's mostly complete: a 'Mech hangar/repair-bay. I think it'll make for a pretty good objective in a game. The kit went together fairly well, but I will say that the glue is a lot less forgiving than the PVA stuff used on the matboard buildings. There's some details to add to the repair bay itself yet, and after it's painted there's some window panes to glue in behind the windows. The two 'Mechs are an Awesome & a Charger, both from the Support Lance Alpha Strike Lance Pack.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2017, 19:50:53 »
Hi R4360, thanks a lot for posting these up!  GameCraft caught my eye a few days ago while I was searching for suitably scaled buildings, and your selection of pictures and writings have certainly given me a lot to think about.  Just wanted to state that I really appreciate how in-depth your thread is.
Hayden

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2017, 06:06:29 »
Well, I'm glad somebody's finding it useful. I'll have more to post as my work in assembly & painting progresses.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2017, 20:52:14 »
I put a couple of the acrylic kits on order. I'll post pics once they're assembled and painted.  I'm getting 285ACR026 (one of the "Factories", I'm going to use it as a warehouse) and 285ACR156 (A versatile building that I can use for just about anything).  If I like them, I'll very likely order more.  I think both are hollow, if that's the case I'm planning on building complementary rough terrain of suitable dimension to use if the building is destroyed (this reduces the storage footprint, and allows me to simply lift the building off the table, to reveal the underlying rough terrain).
Hayden

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2017, 14:51:52 »
I'm pretty sure they're all hollow with the exception of some of the damaged ones that will come with visible floors and such.  But yes, please post pics when you've got yours. I'd be very interested in seeing what they look like.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2017, 17:13:49 »
They're very reasonably priced. Most of mine come from multi-bulding sets that he sells. I'll provide some links.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031/
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031-1/
Each of those contains 4 buildings each at a little over $30 for each set.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/ultra-modern-future-city-buildings-6-285css052/
This is the set of 6 scifi buildings I pictured previously.  They go together pretty easily. Pay attention to how the parts are arranged on the card before you remove them and you'll be fine.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/large-apartment-block-matboard-285css152/
This is an apartment block style building with a set of balconies on one side. You can see it in a few of the shots I posted earlier.  A narrower version of this building is also available but I haven't gotten one yet.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-ruined-city-buildings-matboard-285css031-2/
This is the set the ruined building visible in some of my shots came from.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/ultra-modern-future-city-building-285css050-5/
This one was probably the most difficult one to assemble, but it still wasn't too bad. The curved section is a bit tricky, but that's the worst part.
about how large an area could you fill (at a fairly typical building density) with what you bought?
i have a 4ft x 4ft area at the moment i need to cover. for the moment. eventually it'll be a 4ft x 8ft.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2017, 19:29:36 »
A 4x4 area? Yeah, I probably could, depending on how dense I wanted to stack them around. I haven't tried to use them all at once yet since I'm still working on them. I got several of the building 4 packs, so I've got over 20 buildings of various sizes.  To give you some idea of scale, the straight long road sections visible in my pictures are all 6" long.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2017, 11:12:05 »
First off. I have bought a bunch of his buildings. And they rock.

Because I often look for the most "BANG-FER-YER-BUCK", I have purchased:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/middle-east-village-version-2-0-285acr016/

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/small-downtown-flats-non-ruined-285acr046/

and:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-brownstone-corner-buildings-set-of-4-buildings-285mev130/

as well as the buildings kits mentioned by R4360.

As far as basing onto streets goes, well, I play on hex boards (1.75" Scale for use with heroscape), and Allen at Gamecraft produces hex bases as well.

So to mount my buildings (and some other even larger buildings I have at home), I purchased a bunch of these:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/1-75-bases/

And if you don't see a pattern style there you want, let hi know and he can make it lickitysplit!

Up until I asked last week, he did not have this one on the store:

http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/hex-bases-five-hex-base-1-75-hex175-15/

And finally, Allen stands by his product. If something goes wrong with the order he steps up and corrects it right away!

In my order of hex bases, my 3 hex pack, was not 2x1 but rather a line of 3 hexes. I informed him, and I have replacement hexes on their way right now at no cost.

So, I have a bunch of buildings, and once I have them all painted and based, I will post a new thread.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2017, 18:27:47 »
I've started assembly on my most recent order. This is a 6mm factory building in matboard, with an Awesome from one of the Alpha Strike Lance Packs for scale:

I've just done the basic assembly and sealing so far.  I still need to fill in the seams on the joints (or cover them with some plastic L stock, I haven't decided yet), then paint. I've got some paint that's supposed to have a much finer texture than the first stuff I've tried so I think I'll give that a go and see how it does on this one.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2017, 19:37:43 »
I finally assembled 285ACR026.  Note that I made a couple small modifications: the roof features sand paper (for superior texture) and I used card stock to fill in the side windows and doors (which didn't come with any backing materiel).  I used Loctite professional liquid as adhesive, which gave me an OK result (it feels sturdy) but might not be as good as a purpose-made acrylic adhesive.  Decals are all from Fighting Pirannha Graphics (they have a number that really feel more at home on buildings than vehicles).

This kit was painted as a warehouse for Amphigean Agriculture Incorporated.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 22:40:25 by Hayden. »
Hayden

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2017, 11:50:05 »
That looks great!

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2017, 12:05:08 »
I was finally able to get some more of my buildings into basic paint before the weather cooled off. Here are some pics:

There's still final detailing to be done, but so far they look pretty good.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 12:16:06 by R4360 »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2017, 12:38:16 »
Looks nice.

I have quite a building collection myself (including a bunch of the Game Craft Stuff)

Here is a small portion of my buildings:

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 November 2017, 12:35:47 »
Very nice. I really like the Gamecraft stuff.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2018, 23:51:09 »
Finally finished 285ACR156, painted it up to match a couple SLDF fortified 'mech hangars I whipped up from some cheap wooden planters last year.

Planning on doing more in this set of buildings, as I work through other projects.

Note: The 1st St. Ives Lancers Shadow Hawk suffered from a manufacturing defect, so I took the opportunity to "up-armor" it with excess pewter.
Hayden

Dakkon

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2018, 19:22:38 »
Wow that shadow hawk looks awesome, nice job!

Oh and the terrain looks pretty good too.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #25 on: 08 March 2018, 04:59:29 »
Nice seeing this topic again . . . either of you have any Burned In Designs buildings?  I wonder what they look like next to each other.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2018, 18:51:47 »
Burned In Designs are much bigger in general but still in scale. GamesCraft stuff is mostly to scale but Allen has mentioned a couple of times that some of the largest buildings he sells - like the giant Iraqi hotel - have been shrunk down to fit on your average miniatures board. He had a White House model I don't believe he sells that's 1/4 the size it should be to be in scale and it's still massive.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2018, 00:41:51 »
Because he has some different buildings I wanted to make sure they would be able to go side by side on the same table without seeming drastically off.  I have a 3D printed water purification plant that is supposed to be to the 1/285th scale or whatever but it seems too small.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #28 on: 10 March 2018, 07:59:26 »
Depends on the purification plant, to be honest. JB before the molds were sold to someone else had a bunch of oil tank/oil refinery resin pieces that were sorta in scale but only if you thought of it as a small outlier plant. In truth, they were smaller than they should be by a considerable margin. Sort of the same difference between Battletech vs MicroArmor. Supposedly same scale, but one is noticeably smaller than the other.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 10 March 2018, 08:39:27 »
Like I said, it was 3D printed . . . great little piece but it looks off to me.
Colt Ward