Author Topic: New unit ideas  (Read 4579 times)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
New unit ideas
« on: 12 February 2017, 21:34:09 »
So... My kids want to make units for a new campaign. I have 1 done but need 3 more lances. So far we have a pursuit/recon Lance. It contains an assassin asn-21, chameleon cln-7v, a Clint clnt-2-3t, and a Phoenix hawk pxh-1.

The next Lance is going to be a battle Lance. As of right now we are planning 3025 Era only designs, 25 million cbill limit per Lance  (not shared between the lances, what is not spent of the 25 million goes into bank not to other lances). It needs to be able to keep fighting even when out numbered. I was thinking mediums and heavies if possible.

Also, what mechanical would fit cavalry with this Era and price range? (Preferably jump capable only).
GreyWolf.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: New unit ideas
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2017, 22:21:01 »
Note: assuming 3025-3039 era, based on other choices.

For the other lances, why not an all-jumping medium battle lance:
- Vindicator VND-1R (3.2M), the badger of Tikonov can be counted to fight above its weight, and is a good game-trainer
- Thunderbolt TDR-5SS, (est. 5.5M) the jumping brawler
- Quickdraw QKD-4H (5.3M) - with the four ML forward and 5/8/5 movement, it's the best of the early models
- Blackjack BJ-1DB (est 3.2M), with two LLs and heatsinks.

and a fire lance:
- Centurion CNT-9A (3.5M), al-rounder & bodyguard
- Jagermech JM6-A (est. 5.2M) - a suprisingly good fire support unit, and a change on the traditional Archer
- Hunchback HBK-4J (est. 3.5M) - tough, 20 LRM tubes and 5 ML aren't to be sneezed at
- Trebuchet TBT-5N (est. 4.3M) - all round fire supporter.

MOst minis in the Intro Box, and the others available via Lance Packs.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2017, 22:39:34 »
The time period is 3025 as stated in the original post, however I am debating running it as a 3039 campaign for them to salvage and buy better down the road... but for unit creation, 3025 Era tech only.

Those units seem good. I will approach the 2 kids not done yet next time we have time for the game.

I am still curious about what mechanical would fit the role of cavalry...
GreyWolf.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2017, 23:03:01 »
Mechanical? DO you mean vehicle?

If so, the ideal cavalry vehicles are hovercraft, and the 3025-3039 era has many great options. At the lighter end, you have the Harrasser and J Edgar; then there's the medium Pegasus, and the Scimitar/Saracen/Saladin trio. I'm particularly fond of the Saladin - it's a high-speed AC-20 wrapped in lycra and tinfoil, aka "the suicide sled". They may not last, but odds are you'll know when they hit.

At the heavier end, there's also the Condor, Drillson and Maxim (which also carries a platoon of infantry).

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2017, 23:14:53 »
Sorry, auto correct... Mechs turns to mechanical.
GreyWolf.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2017, 23:44:29 »
It's hard to actually have "cavalry" mechs in the 3025-3029 era. If you take - as I do - the cavalry role to deploy impact at speed, it's not until the 3050s that the rise of the XL engine makes the 5/8 and 5/8/5 heavies a practical thing. The 5/8s and 5/8/5s of the era before that just don't manage the impact - the Dragon and Quickdraw are fast, and have decent armour, but lack the punch the weight-saving techs of the later days provide.

In 4th War era terms, I suspect your cavalry come from the top-end mediums - Griffin, Wolverine - and low-end heavies like the Osts, Dragon, and the Quickdraw. Mind you, when the new 3050s tech starts coming online, not only can you find faster heavies, but the upgrades to the originals mentioned above become more and more effective.

W.

Alan Davion

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2017, 23:48:29 »
It's hard to actually have "cavalry" mechs in the 3025-3029 era. If you take - as I do - the cavalry role to deploy impact at speed, it's not until the 3050s that the rise of the XL engine makes the 5/8 and 5/8/5 heavies a practical thing. The 5/8s and 5/8/5s of the era before that just don't manage the impact - the Dragon and Quickdraw are fast, and have decent armour, but lack the punch the weight-saving techs of the later days provide.

In 4th War era terms, I suspect your cavalry come from the top-end mediums - Griffin, Wolverine - and low-end heavies like the Osts, Dragon, and the Quickdraw. Mind you, when the new 3050s tech starts coming online, not only can you find faster heavies, but the upgrades to the originals mentioned above become more and more effective.

W.

Heh, beat me to it. Still I'll add in my thoughts.

Exactly what sort of duty do you have in mind when you say cavalry?

Movement type would play a lot in that role, and I'd say mechs with 5/8 movement would be your best bet.

Mechs like the Trebuchet, Dervish, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Dragon, Ostroc, Ostsol and Quickdraw would probably be your best choices. They all have very similar weapons loads as well, consisting mostly of medium lasers, LRMs, SRMs, with some ACs and a PPC thrown in for good measure.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2017, 00:08:38 »
Note: assuming 3025-3039 era, based on other choices.

- Vindicator VND-1R (3.2M), the badger of Tikonov can be counted to fight above its weight, and is a good game-trainer
- Quickdraw QKD-4H (5.3M) - with the four ML forward and 5/8/5 movement, it's the best of the early models

and a fire lance:
- Centurion CNT-9A (3.5M), al-rounder & bodyguard
- Jagermech JM6-A (est. 5.2M) - a suprisingly good fire support unit, and a change on the traditional Archer
- Hunchback HBK-4J (est. 3.5M) - tough, 20 LRM tubes and 5 ML aren't to be sneezed at
- Trebuchet TBT-5N (est. 4.3M) - all round fire supporter.

MOst minis in the Intro Box, and the others available via Lance Packs.

W.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2017, 00:11:43 »

Do you mean the Thunderbolt-5SE?  Because the SS is the Steiner model & it doesn't Jump.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2017, 00:17:18 »
The next Lance is going to be a battle Lance. As of right now we are planning 3025 Era only designs, 25 million cbill limit per Lance  (not shared between the lances, what is not spent of the 25 million goes into bank not to other lances). It needs to be able to keep fighting even when out numbered. I was thinking mediums and heavies if possible.

Also, what mechanical would fit cavalry with this Era and price range? (Preferably jump capable only).

Battle Lance  -  Medium/Heavy  -  Cavalry.........   Keeping things moving 5/8+

Top 8 picks,  I leave it to you to pick 4.

Champion-2N
Ostsol-4D
Quickdraw-4H
Griffin-1?
Shadowhawk-2?
Wolverine-6?
Crab-20
Trebuchet-5?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2017, 00:24:53 »
Not sure what your final lance is but my suggestion is a big boys group that just barely fits in the $25Mil mark

Awesome-8Q
Flashman-7K
Grasshoper-5H
Catapult-C1

Total = $24,753,995

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2017, 20:53:16 »
What role would hunchbacks be most suited for?
GreyWolf.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2017, 21:52:14 »
The classic Hunchback with ACBOOM (my new preferred term for AC-20 :) ) is a classic brawler or bodyguard. No-one wants to get close to it - what we called the "bubble-o-doom" effect, back when TRO 3025 came out.  Ram it into your opponents, or keep it with something you want to protect (like your commander, or your fire-support). Remember, it's a bit slow, and needs buddies to watch its back - or it to watch theirs.

The mods - swaybacks - usually make it a little less brutally in-your-face, but longer-ranged. Then by 3067 you do have the 6S, which moves 6/9 and carries an LB-20X - a Steiner thing of beauty.

Browse Sarna's Hunchback page for a quick guide.

W.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2017, 09:16:10 »
my suggestion for a light fire unit...

1 Trebuchet 2 x LRM 15
1 Withworth 2 x LRM 10
1 Withworth 2 x LRM 10
1 Withworth or Trebuchet withs SRMs.

i know the withworths are and were quite rare. But this lance is cheap (only 13 or 14 million c-bills), got quite on oomph, can spam medlasers if somebody comes close to it and all can jump into nice position. also +fill in the special ammo blabla here ;) *

ScrewySqrl

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2017, 15:06:55 »
Battle Lance  -  Medium/Heavy  -  Cavalry.........   Keeping things moving 5/8+

Top 8 picks,  I leave it to you to pick 4.

Champion-2N
Ostsol-4D
Quickdraw-4H
Griffin-1?
Shadowhawk-2?
Wolverine-6?
Crab-20
Trebuchet-5?

my 4 picks:
OTL-4D
GRF-1N
WVR-6M
CRB-20

almost all energy, good speed, and hard hitting for the era.

the 3rd lance could be fire support:
Archer-2R
Crusader-3D
JM6-A
CPLT-C1

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2017, 20:08:57 »
What role would hunchbacks be most suited for?

#1 Urban Combat,  up close w/ lots of cover.

#2 Role would be Body Guard as mentioned above.

I rarely try to make it do direct assault because everyone knows what it does & if they are smart they take it out before the AC20 ever gets in range.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2017, 21:43:02 »
What are the best scout/recon mechs available in 3000 - 3025 era? Need a lance that costs under 25 million cbills. Preference would be for them to jump also.
GreyWolf.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2017, 00:30:18 »
What are the best scout/recon mechs available in 3000 - 3025 era? Need a lance that costs under 25 million cbills. Preference would be for them to jump also.

25 million C-Bills is plenty for a recon Lance, and might be enough to make a decent Med-Hvy Lance instead.

But assuming you just want a recon lance, I'd recommend the basic Stingers and Wasps, then a Spider or a Phoenix Hawk instead.

Judging from the price on its page, you could make a 'Recon' lance of 5 Phoenix Hawks for less than 25 million C-Bills.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2017, 14:38:53 »

2 Jenners, 1 Assassin, and a Spider
fast moving fairly cheap
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2017, 14:42:02 »
Does anyone have any suggestions for homeworld?

Trying to figure out a world we can use as a homeworld for the characters. I'm thinking Federated Suns, not a major world, some industry but definitely nothing that would bring lots of attention, preferably near the borders where pirates and Cappellan Confederation is possible for near by enemies...
GreyWolf.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2017, 17:58:10 »
might I offer up, Great Gorge 
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Great_Gorge

"Several mining companies found that the Great Gorge itself provided easy access to minerals and precious metals. As a result the standard of living rose higher than the typical Periphery world, but this in turn made Great Gorge a tempting target for pirates."

It would make the unit hired by Losart Ulitock, Marquess of Great Gorge, to help defend the world from pirates attacks, but with the catch the unit has many different mining area to protect and storage areas.  Can make for an interesting campaign setting.  And if the kids like, you can have local firms make offers with them trying to get "better" protection at the cost of another firm.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2017, 18:42:48 »
Great Gorge is on the Periphery border, but not near the CapCon.

As for "best" recon/scout 'mechs in 3025:

Fire Javelin (JVN-10F)
Uparmored Jenner (JR-7F)
Mirage (Firestarter Variant, FS-9M)
"Super" Stinger (STG-3G)
Davion Phoenix Hawk (PXH-1D)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 14 March 2017, 23:40:52 »
I will see which of the mechs my daughter likes... She is picky.

Great Gorge would be awesome if closer to the Capellan confederation. The campaign will be built around fighting the capellans... I was thinking bromhead, but I want a little deeper into the fedsuns so it is always in the fedsuns, not taken by others at any point after 2750ish (before 3000 for sure)
GreyWolf.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2017, 10:38:47 »
What about Ashley
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ashley
and move in some light mining and industry base

plus it might be a good base of operation to head to look over, Chouli.http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chouli  "Chouli vanished from maps during the Second Succession War indicating that the system had been abandoned or depopulated."
Could make a good base for pirates or a Capellan raiding force inside the Fed Suns.  Or even the sight of a LosTech find.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 15 March 2017, 15:13:27 »
That is funny... I was looking at Ashley when I posted the last comment... I was thinking it might work,  with another suggesting it I'm going to look into it more.
GreyWolf.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2017, 23:14:23 »
Calvary:

Lancelot-25-02 $4,769,600
Trebuchet-5N $4,203,500
Trebuchet-5N $4,203,500
Black Knight-7-KNT-L $6,426,438

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016