Poll

Following the Death of Brandon Howell in 3053 who would you elect saKhan?

Star Colonel Devon Osis
8 (26.7%)
Loremaster Lamar Kotare
11 (36.7%)
Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima
5 (16.7%)
Star Colonel Erik Furey
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 03 March 2017, 12:16:33

Author Topic: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!  (Read 15693 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!
« Reply #90 on: 05 March 2017, 17:10:15 »
The rede of combat has been spoken. Ivan Showers mentally reviewed the roster of his Trinary, wondering how many would be considered tainted by the new saKhan for their history and heritage. Perhaps some could be moved to command positions in second-line units, lest they be totally lost to the Clan. Fine warriors, those he had bonded with in the cleansing flame of battle, should not be totally discarded.

Still, should Montizuma influence the Khan, there will be battle a-plenty. That thought brought a smile to his face.

Just a thought, here, Takiro - don't know whether it's intentional or not. But Montizuma's philosophy sounds a lot like the beginnings of the Mongol doctrine, which in the mainline appeared much later, and amongst the Jade Falcons. The Smoke Jaguars seem a natural place for such a philosophy to take root, and the use of terror tactics against those who behave dishonourably may well appeal to Montizuma. "Obey or die" is a natural approach, after all, for our Clan ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #91 on: 05 March 2017, 17:29:59 »
Never one to hold his tongue, Liam Nevversan muses, openly and loudly.

"Our new saKhan rails against the threat of outsiders, and yet embraces the Snow Ravens, lurking at the edges of battle like a scavenger, seeking to pick off those already weakened by his betters."
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #92 on: 05 March 2017, 18:20:50 »
(OC) Feel like starting a Jade Falcon fanclub?  :D
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Bradshaw

• Corporal
  • Never trust a man scratching his chin
« Reply #93 on: 05 March 2017, 18:45:34 »
funny enough I joked around that the Society may have mixed some Jade Falcon lineage into his batch.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #94 on: 05 March 2017, 18:53:34 »
And before I forget, thanks to Takiro and his group for sharing this with us. I had a lot of fun digging out the old SJ mindset, and - even if it's not the outcome I would have preferred - at least Devon Osis can claim to have "opened Tokare's mind" to his errors  ;)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #95 on: 05 March 2017, 20:22:19 »
LMAO! :D

First off, I have to thank everyone here for getting involved and adding to our experience while my alternate universe continues to unfold. Hopefully it is as enjoyable to you as it was to us. A word on the players involved - Gus is the newest to BattleTech and in this scenario was the only one to back Kotare thus he got to use him in our little Trial here. Talking it over with him today things might of unfolded differently if he went after Montizima first as he was best equipped to take him down (Pulse Lasers and Targeting Computer) but I think it was very Jaguar of him to go after his largest perhaps most formidable opponent (Osis). Unfortunately it did not work out for him but it could have very well started a slugfest which he ultimately could have won. Might have been interesting if the other two opponents had engaged each other and beat up on themselves in any scenario. ;)

Calderon aka Winterwolf is a life long friend and we have been playing BattleTech since the early 90s, a long time ago when MASCs actually immobilized you! Funny story I remember playing what I thought was an olde timer in the mid-90s whose era was the 3025s - we gave him a whole battalion versus are supped up Clan lance and beat him down pretty bad. Ah the good olde days, Bradshaw will probably remember. Anyhow Calderon got Furey who everyone else in my group including me voted for in the poll here; surprise, surprise. I had some pretty good ideas for his regime but now oh well. While I question some of his decisions like charging laterally at me rather than into the center initially to engage anyone and trying to use his MASC twice in a row upon review I do have to say he played his character rather well. Furey is an excellent warrior just not a farsighted one I guess and if not for some bad luck things might have been very different.

Bradshaw I first met when I was introduced to BattleTech so long ago and despite being a 'Snow Raven' as Liam so rightfully points out it has been a lot fun. He played Montizima well as a tactically opportunistic opponent who despite his loathsome politics (we were calling him MechaHitler all day) is quite adept as a warrior. While the Jaguars fate maybe sealed in the long run (who knows really but hey just a guess) the character does add a dimension to our favorite 'Space Nazis'. I got Osis and I don't think I did a bad job, came pretty damn close to winning IMO. Could I have waited for Furey and Montizima to engage? I suppose so but then I wouldn't be a Smoke Jaguar. No challenge had been formally made and fire exchanged between the two which ticked me off. Actually got punished for beating Kotare so quick. Had the other two fought the survivor would have surely been defeated by Osis who only took 10 points of damage to his left torso. Surprised more folks ain't ticked off at Montizima for striking Osis before the duel had ended with Furey.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

After the trial had concluded we sat down and considered some things regarding its effects. Regarding personnel saKhan Montizima will be taking a more active role as commander of Alpha Galaxy as well as implementing day to day decisions while Khan Osis continues to heal. Devon Osis is to be promoted to Galaxy Commander in charge of Beta pending a valid Trial of Position for said rank - thus keeping an undesirable abtakha like Star Colonel Mikhal Ward in his current position. Needing a new Aide de Camp and Champion to defend his position while he recovers Khan Lincoln Osis has installed Star Colonel Erik Furey in this role. Loremaster Lamar Kotare is the big question mark whose time seems to be short.

We have not resolved exactly what will happen to him yet but one thing is for sure - he and his supporters are marked men. He is badly hurt as a result of his duel and his supporters are no doubt under fire by Team Osis-Montizima. Love to hear what you guys think his fate should be. How bad are his injuries (5 MechWarrior hits during that gauss slug to the head)? Will another Clan claim him and other undesirables the Jaguars no longer want? Would he escape to join the Bandit Caste whose influence might be on the rise in this Clan after his fall and Montizima's rise? Suicide is of course an option as well is murder by rivals within the Clan, after all what lengths will these Jaguar Supremacist go to win?

Montizima's first reform to enhance the strength of the Clan is to permit a Third Trial of Position for Smoke Jaguar Trueborn Warriors who if successful can go onto serve in the Watch or Clan police forces (aka third line troops needed). I am considering letting Warriors test up or down in this three tier system on a limited basis but as of now better pass your first Trial or it is all down hill for you Jaguar fans. ;)

Streamlining the Touman by establishing a new five trinary ceiling on Clusters helped create a new formation, Montizima's Jaguar Knights now the new core of Alpha Galaxy. Yes, Star Colonel Babur Rakhmatulina did barely pass his Trial to take the commanding officer title there. We got ride of the Jaguar Cavalier designation (now just the 3rd Assault Cluster) and the Striker Cluster which maybe his biggest reform. Light Clusters will now be known as the Smoke Reavers and they will concentrate in Delta Galaxy fighting the InnerSphere. Equipped with Light OmniMechs (Mist Lynx, Arctic Cheetah, etc), Naval Elementals and Naval Aerospace Pilots they will mercilessly attack House Kurita. While the Reavers get a full trinary of aerospace fighters other clusters in the touman will likely get a star or maybe two which is a big cause not too many units had integral fighter support.

In addition to this aerospace upgrade expect to see naval units play a more vital role. We were thinking the Jaguars may focus on capturing Jumpships especially from the InnerSphere to enhance their own transport abilities while making it difficult for their enemies to strike at them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

One of the reasons I went with Reavers name was the Wars of Reaving. Speeding things up seems to be a theme in this whole alternate universe. Hopefully you guys can explain the terms Tainted and Mongol Doctrine to my friends and how they might impact the story going forward.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #96 on: 05 March 2017, 21:50:29 »
If the mongol doctrine is like the mongols of genghis khan fame I'm assuming it's fear and terror mixed with a little scorched earth

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #97 on: 05 March 2017, 21:52:08 »
There's a good discussion pf the Mongol doctrine  in this thread here.

TO quote Hawkeye Jim from that thread about the historical ones, "Standard Mongol doctrine was to make enemies so afraid of the them that they would surrender without fighting. If they did, they were simply integrated into the Mongol system as citizens."

The flip side being if they didn't, they were annihilated. Survivors were allowed to carry word of the Mongol atrocities to the next town/city, to the point where the arrival of the Mongols caused cities to surrender & become part of the empire.

Malvina Hazen of the Jade Falcons took this up and used it to make a series of successes, leading to her achieving leadership of her Clan. Without spoiling later stages, she decried those who were soft on Spheroids and lower castes, fought "to the knife" and beyond at the slightest provocation, and even invoked the Lawn Dart rule with big objects. And yes, this often cowed people into surrendering, or (internally) not opposing her.

Taint - a concept arising in the Home Clans. The Invading Clans were getting the spoils - the Clan homeworlds are very resource limited and few in numbers compared to even small IS holdings. The Invading Clans also began to change away from the Home World's view of the Clan vision - eg. Care Bears & Dominions, the Lyran Lap-Wolves, and the insane Jade Falcons. Plus they were getting more booty! So they were obviously Tainted by contact with the Sphere, and it was only right for those left behind to administer purifying beatings & steal their stuff ;)

W.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #98 on: 05 March 2017, 21:52:44 »
If the mongol doctrine is like the mongols of genghis khan fame I'm assuming it's fear and terror mixed with a little scorched earth

Mostly it's maneuver, terror, and crazy.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 06 March 2017, 01:56:06 »
Regarding Kotare and the 5 MechWarrior hits received courtesy of the Gauss, I would just kill him off. Just say that he is comatose and brain dead. Just turn off his life support and he will die a belated Warrior's Death.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #100 on: 06 March 2017, 03:48:11 »
Well my Chap best be looking over his shoulder from the sound of it :p.  I suppose you could offer the 'unwanted' up in a harvest trial, a case of 'here give me those and i'll give you these'.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #101 on: 06 March 2017, 11:01:56 »
Regarding Kotare and the 5 MechWarrior hits received courtesy of the Gauss, I would just kill him off. Just say that he is comatose and brain dead. Just turn off his life support and he will die a belated Warrior's Death.

This works for me. The more I think about it I can't see a clan harvesting an elder and likely deformed now Loremaster. Id rather him die in a coma than Bondsref

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #102 on: 06 March 2017, 11:21:00 »
"Our new saKhan rails against the threat of outsiders, and yet embraces the Snow Ravens, lurking at the edges of battle like a scavenger, seeking to pick off those already weakened by his betters."

I prefer to think of it as the Jaguar that pounces on his unsuspecting prey from the branches above. Why go after the strong water buffalo when you can easily fill your stomach just as well on the injured one on edge of the pack.

Really though I was trying to line it up for a strafing run but Osis engaged and killed Kotare before I could get into position and then engaged Furey before I could. Then i got sick of flying around so said F it and started the grand melee after the shadow cat was disabled and on its face in the dirt.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #103 on: 06 March 2017, 11:56:34 »
the Jaguar does not attack like a skulking thief, The Jaguar attacks with all its fury upon its prey.   prey  it has marked.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #104 on: 06 March 2017, 21:48:34 »
I guess I could just kill Kotare off. One thought was that Montizima might just want to eliminate him altogether and might be diabolical enough to pull the plug. Offering him in a 'Harvest Trial' might have an appeal however as Osis might favor a send them somewhere else in exchange for equipment to rebuild. Would then leave Kotare with an interesting question - accept a position in a new Clan or commit bondsref?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 06 March 2017, 23:37:13 »
Montizima did mark his prey wolfcannon.
He emptied the recycle container for his urinal as he was flying overhead.
Hit Osis and Furey. Then decided to use his weapons instead. :D O0
With 5 hits Kotare would be a non walking wreck.
Do the clan thing and let him die from his wounds in the duel of honor.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #106 on: 30 April 2017, 20:06:24 »
Alright folks, just wanted to share with you the setup story for a short new fanbook I am throwing together based on these events. You find out how Brandon Howell was killed in action during the Trial of Restoration. Please let me know how you like it, more to come!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Revival’s End

Mars Field Proving Ground
Strana Mechty
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Space
27 January 3053

As saKhan Brandon Howell surveyed the field before him from his Timber Wolf he breathed in the morning air. While the weather was slightly overcast, his own personal outlook was brighter than any dawn witnessed. Nearly a full Galaxy of the finest Clan warriors had assembled to take part in the next great combat trial of their age. It was his honor to command the so-called Revivalist Clusters whose goal was to overturn the Grand Council’s latest folly, Operation Restoration. While injuries sustained on Tukayyid prevented his senior commander, Khan Lincoln Osis, from participating his allies had no such excuses.

The honor to command was his and victory this day will be glorious. It came as no surprise to him that the Jade Falcon Khans bid themselves out of the battle early on. They always struck Brandon as more politicians than warriors. With a smirk, he mused to himself ‘Perhaps they are part of a new caste which the scientists are experimenting?’ With a laugh, he looked to his left and saw their 5th Battle Cluster ready for battle. The Golden Talons were able warriors with a distinguished record in spite of their Clan’s questionable leadership. Star Colonel Diane Anu was a capable commander whose technical insights impressed him. With their assistance, they would defeat the Restorers and resume the Crusade quickly.

While it galled Howell to admit it, his Smoke Jaguar Clan should probably delay the renewal of hostilities for the foreseeable future. The failure of their Sixth Wave following Tukayyid showed that the Draconis Combine had stepped up defensive preparations significantly. Losses on Tukayyid and Luthien had badly damaged their Touman far worse then was generally known even within the Clan. There would be fanatical Crusaders who would no doubt push for an immediate resumption of the invasion but caution was warranted. Another triumph here coupled with his thoughtful advance begun on Tukayyid will be enough to convince even these zealots that a short period of rebuilding was necessary.

Reviewing his forces dressed in the Clan’s customary gray and black paint scheme they were ready. Most were from the 4th Jaguar Dragoons who just a few years prior had crushed the final Warden Refusal by the Wolves on this very site. Supplemented by the very best from his own Shroud Keshik they were geared for the kill. Many including himself were armed with the most powerful weapon they could carry into battle. Often this was the devastating Ultra AC/20 which at close range could savage any would be adversary rapidly. Switching on his communicator he commanded his elite troops rounded out by two OmniFighter stars from the Jaguar’s Den and Epsilon Galaxy Command ‘At the first signal – pounce!’

As anticipation grew he looked to the observers gathered on the edge of the proving grounds. As tradition dictated the Khan of every Clan not participating stood ready to witness a properly fought combat trial as the Founder had envisioned. Augmented by their Keshiks they could intervene if the participants engaged in any dishonorable actions violating the code of battle known as zellbrigen. The largest of these contingents were from Burrock, Ghost Bear, and Ice Hellion who choose not to take part in this Trial of Refusal in anyway. While each had their reasons, he could not personally fathom why any Clan warrior would sit on the sidelines as the fate of the invasion hung in the balance.

At the far end of the grounds the reviled Diamond Sharks had gathered an understrength Cluster of ten Clans to uphold Operation Restoration. Howell despised them all for trying to inject themselves into the invasion late but he understood the desire to fight. After dealing with their primary rivals today this rag tag force would be driven from the field by a righteous Crusader fury. First though the Falcons would square off against the Wolves and the Jaguars would have to deal with the Star Adders. In spite of his age Khan Cassius N’Buta was a clever opponent not to be underestimated. Brandon knew that many Jags hated the Adders for their opportunistic tactics showcased most notably during the Mongoose Absorption. 

They never rushed headlong into any venture but their pragmatism could never match the ferocity of the Jaguar. Even though today would be no different Howell knew that he had to be on guard for one of N’Buta’s well laid plans. He smiled as he thought ‘the age-old axiom no plan survives contact with the enemy would be never witnessed the vicious claws of the Smoke Jaguar’. Focusing in on ilKhan Ulric Kerensky’s Gargoyle now moving into view he readied himself for battle. The Gray Wolf was another foe who the young Smoke Jaguar saKhan understood should not be underestimated. Flanked by Ebon Keshik the leader of the Clans rose his OmniMech’s right arm high in the air and commanded ‘Begin!’

Just as he knew they would, his forces seized the initiative boldly charging forward and looking to engage as swiftly as they could. Each side began their advance well outside of weapon range however and there were few instant engagements. Brandon realized with their preferred loadout they would have to gain ground fast and he expected his warriors to take down two opponents each today. This kill rate would be insure total victory today.

Just then two long range blasts from an ER PPC and a Large Pulse Laser struck his Timber Wolf marking the start of his first action with a Star Adder Warhawk. Configuration C was well known to all Jaguars as that Assault OmniMech was a proud creation of their Clan. Developed some fifty years ago as the Crusade first neared it had spread throughout the Clans becoming one of the most widely available. As Mechwarrior Starla of the Adder Command Keshik formalized their duel she clearly did not realize whom she had just struck. Howell responded with a well- placed ER PPC blast of his own which unlike his opponent was not aided by a Targeting Computer.

As both sides closed and weapons fire flashed on all sides now as warriors paired off in single combat. Playing on his Clan’s fearsome reputation he keyed in on his rival’s frequency ‘This is saKhan Brandon Howell accepting Mechwarrior Starla’s challenge. Prepare to be the first to fall before the might of the Smoke Jaguar this day!’ With that he unleashed a devastating volley that crashed into his would-be challenger again and again. Several staggering blows including one to her Warhawk’s head sent the heavier Assault ‘Mech crashing to the ground. A roar went up from the Jaguars as their saKhan delivered on his words with speed and brutality of their namesake. It felt to him as if the weight of so many recent reversals was being lifted from the Clan.

Closing to one hundred meters Howell was sure he would defeat the battered Warhawk which lay before him. His mind raced thinking of his next potential enemy of which there were three targets all in close proximity. Khan Cassius N’Buta in his Kingfisher was just ninety meters to his left engaged with Star Captain Caslon Stiles’ Ebon Jaguar. It looked as though both were fairly well matched and their duel would stretch on for some time. Behind the Khan another sixty meters was the Adder Champion Duke Topi who perhaps would provide the greatest challenge to Howell on the battlefield. The Adder’s finest had already knocked down Mechwarrior Redi’s Mad Dog and it looked as though they were destined to meet in single combat.

As glorious as the thought of facing Topi or dispatching their old Khan was Brandon’s true desire was to defeat Star Colonel Virgilia Truscott. The upstart Adder Adjutant was the most vocal critic of Operation Revival almost from the start. Unlike the Wardens who did not want to see any invasion Virgilia was a Crusader who called Revival an ill-conceived that endangered the Clans. Her Trial of Grievance with Star Colonel Aaron Showers of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons, who was present and also undoubtedly looking for vengeance today, highlighted some of these shortcomings. Showers defeat had dampened not only his path forward in the Clan but was the first blemish on the Crusade. Her defeat would serve to erase criticism of Revival and push forward the invasion once more. 

There was no way Mechwarrior Starla could stop this from happening. His Timber Wolf was relatively undamaged and even a last alpha strike from her abused Warhawk could do moderate damage at best. Maybe it was these thoughts of victory or the distasteful image of striking a downed opponent that allowed the Adders to seize the initiative. As Starla’s OmniMech rose to its feet Howell saw her weapons fully charged and about to discharge their raw energy. ‘Do you worst’ he mused ‘there is no way you will win’. But that was saKhan Brandon Howell’s final thought as a blinding bolt of lightning from his enemy’s ER PPC vaporized the head of his ‘Mech.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 01 May 2017, 02:44:44 »
LOL. Trust a Jaguar to be so overconfident.
He forgot what a TC could do at short range firing at a stationary target. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #108 on: 07 May 2017, 07:15:45 »
Alrighty, it was not my intention for Brandon Howell to come off as an idiot. While I am glad arrogance came across, as I did want some Jaguar to come out of him, a couple of reviews convinced me that a rewrite was necessary.

This story is really from my point of view during our BattleTech which took three days to play out. The first three turns of day one were described here. Me and everyone else thought that Howell would soon crush Starla and go on to another opponent likely Duke Topi as day 2 (turn 4) got underway. Of course, this would depend on who ever was not engaged even though the Restorers had more troops that were already free to engage.

Thanks to drakensis we were able to dial back Howell's idiocy that his victory was certain to over confidence based on actual events that took place. His opponent sustaining two MechWarrior hits, overheating, and being in poor condition were all good reasons for this belief. Plus I was able to include a few facts which were not previously in the first story.

I appreciate the reviews and thanks again to drakensis for his detailed advice. Now here for your enjoyment the revision!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Revival’s End

Mars Field Proving Ground
Strana Mechty
Kerensky Cluster, Clan Space
27 January 3053

SaKhan Brandon Howell breathed in the morning air as he surveyed the field before him from his Timber Wolf. While the weather was slightly overcast, his own personal outlook was brighter than any dawn witnessed. Nearly a full Galaxy of the finest Clan warriors had assembled to take part in the next great combat trial of their age. It was his honor to command the so-called Revivalist Clusters whose goal was to overturn the Grand Council’s latest folly, Operation Restoration and victory this day will be glorious.

Injuries sustained on Tukayyid prevented his senior commander, Khan Lincoln Osis, from participating and it came as no surprise to him that the Jade Falcon Khans bid themselves out of the battle early on. They always struck Brandon as more politicians than warriors. With a smirk, he mused to himself ‘Perhaps they are part of a new caste which the scientists are experimenting?’

With a laugh, he looked to his left and saw their 5th Battle Cluster ready for battle. The Golden Talons were able warriors with a distinguished record in spite of their Clan’s questionable leadership. Star Colonel Diane Anu was a capable commander whose technical insights impressed him. With their assistance, they would defeat the Restorers and resume the Crusade quickly.

While it galled Howell to admit it, his Clan should probably delay the renewal of hostilities for the foreseeable future. The failure of their Sixth Wave following Tukayyid showed that the Draconis Combine had stepped up defensive preparations significantly. Losses on Tukayyid and Luthien had damaged their Touman far more heavily then was generally known even within the Clan. There would be fanatical Crusaders who would no doubt push for an immediate resumption of the invasion but caution was warranted. Another triumph here coupled with his thoughtful advance begun on Tukayyid will be enough to convince even these zealots that a short period of rebuilding was necessary.

Reviewing his forces dressed in the Clan’s customary gray and black paint scheme they were ready. Most were from the 4th Jaguar Dragoons who just a few years prior had crushed the final Warden Refusal by the Wolves on this very site. Supplemented by the very best from his own Shroud Keshik and rounded out by two OmniFighter stars from the Jaguar’s Den and Epsilon Galaxy Command they were geared for the kill. Many including himself were armed with the most powerful weapon they could carry into battle. Often this was the devastating Ultra AC/20 which at close range could savage any would be adversary rapidly. Howell closed his cockpit and, switching on his communicator, he commanded his elite troops: ‘At the first signal – pounce!’

As anticipation grew he looked to the observers gathered on the edge of the proving grounds. As tradition dictated the Khan of every Clan not participating stood ready to witness a properly fought combat trial as the Founder had envisioned. Augmented by their Keshiks they could intervene if the participants engaged in any dishonorable actions violating the code of battle known as zellbrigen. The largest of these contingents were from Burrock, Ghost Bear, and Ice Hellion who chose not to take part in this Trial of Refusal in anyway. While each had their reasons, he could not personally fathom why any Clan warrior would sit on the sidelines as the fate of the invasion hung in the balance.

At the far end of the grounds the reviled Diamond Sharks had gathered an understrength Cluster of ten Clans to uphold Operation Restoration. Howell despised them all for trying to inject themselves into the invasion late but he understood the desire to fight. After dealing with their primary rivals today this rag tag force would be driven from the field by a righteous Crusader fury. First though the Falcons would square off against the Wolves and the Jaguars would have to deal with the Star Adders.

Arrayed against them was the 3rd Wolf Battle Cluster and the Adder Command Keshik. The Wolf Cluster obviously wanted to make up for their defeat four years ago during in the initial Revival Refusal but the Adders were far more calculating. The vote in the Council had been close but bidding should have evened the odds. However, the Restorers used the full weight of the vote and most notably in the case of the Star Adders had foregone bidding selecting their very best to represent them. While Howell agreed with his Falcon counterparts that this was unClanlike it demonstrated to him how important victory was today and how far his opponents were prepared to go in order to achieve it.

In spite of his age Khan Cassius N’Buta was a clever challenger not to be underestimated. Brandon knew that many Jags hated the Adders for their opportunistic tactics, showcased most notably during the Mongoose Absorption. They never rushed headlong into any venture but their pragmatism could never match the ferocity of the Jaguar. Even though today would be no different Howell knew that he had to be on guard for one of N’Buta’s well laid plans. He smiled as he thought ‘the age-old axiom no plan survives contact with the enemy would be never witnessed the vicious claws of the Smoke Jaguar’.

Focusing in on ilKhan Ulric Kerensky’s Gargoyle now moving into view he readied himself for battle. The Gray Wolf was another foe who the young Smoke Jaguar saKhan understood should not be underestimated. Flanked by Ebon Keshik the leader of the Clans rose his OmniMech’s right arm high in the air and commanded ‘Begin!’

Just as he knew they would, his forces seized the initiative boldly charging forward and looking to engage as swiftly as they could. Each side began their advance well outside of weapon range however and there were few instant engagements. Brandon realized with their preferred loadout they would have to gain ground fast and he expected his warriors to take down two opponents each today. This kill rate would be insure total victory today.

Just then two long range blasts from an ER PPC and a Large Pulse Laser struck his Timber Wolf marking the start of his first action with a Star Adder Warhawk. Configuration C was well known to all Jaguars as that Assault OmniMech was a proud creation of their Clan. Developed some fifty years ago as the Crusade first neared it had spread throughout the Clans becoming one of the most widely available. As Mechwarrior Starla of the Adder Command Keshik formalized their duel she clearly did not realize whom she had just struck. Howell responded with a well- placed ER PPC blast of his own which unlike his opponent was not aided by a Targeting Computer.

As both sides closed and weapons fire flashed on all sides now as warriors paired off in single combat. Playing on his Clan’s fearsome reputation he keyed in on his rival’s frequency ‘This is saKhan Brandon Howell accepting Mechwarrior Starla’s challenge. Prepare to be the first to fall before the might of the Smoke Jaguar this day!’ With that he unleashed a devastating volley that crashed into his would-be challenger again and again. Several staggering blows including one to her Warhawk’s head sent the heavier Assault ‘Mech crashing to the ground. A roar went up from the Jaguars as their saKhan delivered on his words with speed and brutality of their namesake. It felt to him as if the weight of so many recent reversals was being lifted from the Clan.

Closing to one hundred meters Howell saw the battered Warhawk which lay before him its pilot no doubt dazed from his strike and the fall which followed. His mind raced thinking of his next potential enemy of which there were three targets all in close proximity. Khan Cassius N’Buta in his Kingfisher was just ninety meters to his left engaged with Star Captain Caslon Stiles’ Ebon Jaguar. It looked as though both were fairly well matched and their duel would stretch on for some time.

Behind the Khan another sixty meters was the Adder Champion Duke Topi who perhaps would provide the greatest challenge to Howell on the battlefield. The Adder’s finest had already knocked down Mechwarrior Redi’s Mad Dog and it looked as though they were destined to meet in single combat. As glorious as the thought of facing Topi or dispatching their old Khan was Brandon’s true desire was to defeat Star Colonel Virgilia Truscott.

The upstart Adder Adjutant was the most vocal critic of Operation Revival almost from the start. Unlike the Wardens who did not want to see any invasion Virgilia was a Crusader who called Revival an ill-conceived that endangered the Clans. Her Trial of Grievance with Star Colonel Aaron Showers of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons, who was present and also undoubtedly looking for vengeance today, highlighted some of these shortcomings. Showers defeat had dampened not only his path forward in the Clan but was the first blemish on the Crusade. Her defeat would serve to erase criticism of Revival and push forward the invasion once more. 

Unfortunately, Virgilia was well matched with Mechwarrior Bikhal’s Executioner of the 4th Jaguar Dragoons. Their duel would probably drag on insuring a match up between Duke Topi and himself. Well bargained and done he thought.

As Starla’s OmniMech struggled to rise to its feet Howell saw the Warhawk was sluggish and the weapon pods were shaking - not only had the Mechwarrior overheated her 'Mech, impairing the myomers of the limb, but her control was itself impaired. ‘An inferior mechwarrior, shaken by the damage to her cockpit’ he concluded ‘she'll be lucky to score a single hit in that condition’.

But that was saKhan Brandon Howell’s final thought as Starla fired her full arsenal. While some of her weaponry missed his Timber Wolf a blinding bolt of lightning from her ER PPC vaporized the head of his OmniMech.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2017, 07:53:25 by Takiro »

Register