Author Topic: Best Vehicle company formations  (Read 8548 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Best Vehicle company formations
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2017, 20:16:28 »
Tank and mechanized infantry convoy

Manticore
Manticore
Manticore
Manticore
Goblin
Foot Squad (SRMs)
Goblin
Foot Squad (SRMs)
Goblin
Foot Squad (SRMs)
Goblin
Foot Squad (SRMs)

the usual...

Technically, you'll only need three Goblins, as they equal 3 tons for the Foot SRM Platoon.
Meaning you can swap out the 4th Goblin for something with more firepower, like a Bulldog.
Also you could upgrade one of the Goblins to LRM variant to provide more support and indirect abilities.

I tend to run with 5 tanks per lance, 3 Goblins, 1 being LRM, and 2 Bulldogs with Infantry Support, Foot SRM Platoon, personally.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 19 April 2017, 01:29:41 »
TT, individual squads of CI each have a one ton weight, doing it the way he does it means that you need 4 tons total, but those tons can be split across 4 vehicles

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 19 April 2017, 07:40:29 »
I know, but he said Foot... Not Jump.

3 vs 4 tons.

Meaning he can use 7-trooper squads @ 1ton each or 10-troopers for the same tonnage.

TT
« Last Edit: 19 April 2017, 07:44:21 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Frederick Steiner

• Recruit
« Reply #33 on: 19 April 2017, 12:50:31 »
To clarify, I'm going with squad deployment here, running them as four independent units.

For that I'm using four transports.

If I understood correctly, if I used platoon deployment I could have the platoon transported by three Goblins (3 x 1 ton = 3 tons), but would then have to load and unload them at the same time from or to the same hex?

The infantry is just a nice side note, actually - 73 points that don't hurt. I may drop them when passing a suitable location, say a wooded area, a bridge, or something like that.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 19 April 2017, 19:58:01 »
Per standard cargo drop... 1 Squad at a time per Hex, same or otherwise.

I roll up to the target drop off hex, deploy 1st and 2nd Squads, next turn 3rd and 4th Squads are deployed. Moving each Goblin into the hex, remember it can hold 2 tanks per hex. Even though you have 28 troopers @ 7 per ton of cargo... I have done the math. First two Goblins carry 9 troopers and the last third has 10 troopers. Weird as it may seem...

Cool part is I can use the first two Squads the same turn I deploy the last two. Which is why I suggested the LRM variant with a Bulldog companion.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2017, 17:02:21 »
A company of 6 Vedettes and 6 Strikers with 2 of each per lance is very effective.  A company of standard Drillsons would be very irritating. 

A bunch of Myrmidons would be good also.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 03 May 2017, 19:49:40 »
I can go scary on ya'll!

6 Puma Tanks...

5x -007
1x -008

Placed in a triangle formation with the -008 in front leading the wedge on a charge, or reversed if needing a fire support mission.

All connected by a C3i with built in ECM on the -008's CO ride, keep in a three hex " bubble " at all times.

Funny thing is I can run two Level II of these things with another mixed Level II of Tau Infantry with support transport. ( That's two Bolla, Inivictus and Dominus respectfully, and 4 Tau Wraiths and 2 Tau Zombies.

Watch me make a red carpet all over your space.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2017, 10:38:08 »
I can go scary on ya'll!

6 Puma Tanks...

5x -007
1x -008
Scary, until some joker shows up in a Vulcan or fast AC/2 vehicle variant, and "parks" those Pumas from beyond their range to respond.  Any one-dimensional force is just begging to be countered and defeated.

Frederick Steiner

• Recruit
« Reply #38 on: 05 May 2017, 01:48:42 »
8,000 list for a game in two weeks:

It's a cityfight, where you need to control and contest six points within two city maps (surrounded by wilderness):

my urban combat lance

Bulldog Main
Bulldog Main
Bulldog Main
Bulldog Main

a company of infantry including snipers

Kestrel Main
Foot Platoon (Ballistic Rifles)
Kestrel Main
Foot Platoon (Ballistic Rifles)
Ferret Main
Foot Squad (Energy Rifles)
Ferret Main
Ferret Main
Ferret Main

something to clear buildings...

Demolisher Main
Demolisher Main

and something to clear infantry...

Firestarter FS9-H
Firestarter FS9-H

Leaves 1,266 points - I'm thinking of some Mech punch, like an Enforcer, or maybe two more light Mechs. I could however rebuild the list and choose a couple of SRM Carriers, but I think I'd be lacking in the mobility department without jump capable Mechs.