Author Topic: Kerensky's cultural purges and Clan Fire Mandrill  (Read 1803 times)

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
Kerensky's cultural purges and Clan Fire Mandrill
« on: 27 March 2017, 03:58:10 »
So I'm re-reading Historical: Operation Klondike and it says Nicky K waged war on every language and culture other than English and his own social ideas. It just occurred to me: is there any explanation for how Clan Fire Mandrill kept its multiple languages, samurai traditions, and such in the face of this purge?

If the Mandrills were one of Kerensky's favourites I could see him overlooking such quirks. But he was less than pleased with both Khans and the Clan's performance during Klondike - he even had to bring in reinforcements to Dagda partly thanks to their bickering.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Kerensky's cultural purges and Clan Fire Mandrill
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2017, 09:02:45 »
Nothing to add but I am curious as well!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2017, 09:27:48 »
We know that Sainze was close with Andre from the German novels, and given his story (picked up on accident of a Combine recharge station) that might be enough. But, more likely it came to the fore in the kindraa formation process, or just before. In a unified Clan, all the Sainze learning Japanese would be odd, but if they were planning to go their own way, it would be a good way to forge an independent identity.

The Carols are reputed to have Kerensky blood, implying closeness, so I assumed that was the source of the Russian element, but I can't recall what (if any) the relationship of the original Carol was.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2017, 10:33:54 »
Well the samurai traditions likely had some militaristic virtues that would have appealed to Nicky (not seppuku of course but the strict code of honor).  As far as multiple languages are concerned, it was possibly on his long list of things that he would eventually address (he may even have talked to the Mandrill Khans about it) but never got around to follow up on it.  Other issues, such as Clan Wolverine, the Viper issue (the attempted assassination of Nicky's wife by the Viper Khan), growing Falcon dissent (partially due to Nicky tying himself to Clan Wolf instead of them) and Clan Widowmaker were far more pressing.  After his death, the language issue likely simply got forgotten as it was overshadowed by bigger issues others had with the Fire Mandrills such as the fracturing of the Fire Mandrills and questionable bidding practices by Kindraa Smythe-Jewel.  As long as they were able to speak English, it simply became one of the Fire Mandrills many quirks.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2017, 12:23:25 »
IMHO it was included into the Way of the Clans.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2017, 16:04:33 »
IMHO it was included into the Way of the Clans.

With different Clanners taking to different parts of Nikky's bastardization with varying degrees of enthusiasm and their own varying interpretations of those parts.   ;)
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Register