Author Topic: The Society's Ultra Top Secret Evil Volcano Lair IIC Z  (Read 87838 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
The Society's Ultra Top Secret Evil Volcano Lair IIC Z
« on: 02 April 2017, 11:42:59 »
Just wait for our latest plan to reach fruition... the warrior caste will fall, and the scientists shall rule the galaxy!

Muahahahaha! For Science!  :D

Are there any other Society operatives out there, or did they all die in the Reavings?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: The Society's Ultra Top Secret Evil Volcano Lair IIC Z
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2017, 11:47:42 »

I like to think that there are other branches left.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Kharim

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2017, 13:02:31 »
Same as with secret WoB bunkers still hiden, scatered around entire Inner Sphere.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2017, 13:05:10 »

Aperture Science: The Society
We do what we must
because we can
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2017, 14:27:53 »

Although some of their methods were morally questionable, I kind of wish the Society had succeeded in transforming the Homeworlds.  I think the result would certainly have been more interesting than the Clan Classic factions that now rule the Homeworlds.  (Although hopefully they will evolve into something more interesting, too.)
« Last Edit: 02 April 2017, 19:22:25 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2017, 18:51:57 »
I always figured they shot there military bolt but there was outposts beyond Clan space and in the Inner Sphere based Clans that were never discovered or rooted out.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2017, 00:38:38 »
I like to think that there are other branches left.
The IS clans (aside from the falcons) probably still have Society branches hidden inside them. though since the non-falcon IS clans have been giving their scientists more reign to be innovative, i doubt there is much push for a takeover.

and IMO the homeworld clan's probably still have Society remnants in their Science castes. even after the purges, there is little way that you could remove all the influence. (short of genocide of the entire caste and starting over from raw untrained recruits) they'll just be much weaker and far more covert for a long time. heck, you'd have to kill more than just all the scientists even.. you'd also have to kill all the laborors that dealt with the scientist caste to any degree (or worked with those who did). all the warriors that interacted with the scientist caste for any length of time. etc. pretty much you'd have to wipe out most of population in general to be sure you got every possible person who could spread the seed of the Society and its ideals.

IMO the Society is a bit like Marvel's Hydra.. you'll never be able to get rid of it completely, because it is all pervasive and hides in plain sight within the social structure of the clans themselves. subverting any existing status quo to their own ends. all you can do is cut off whatever head rears up into public view.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2017, 00:41:28 by glitterboy2098 »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2017, 00:53:26 »
Although some of their methods were morally questionable, I kind of wish the Society had succeeded in transforming the Homeworlds.  I think the result would certainly have been more interesting than the Clan Classic factions that now rule the Homeworlds.  (Although hopefully they will evolve into something more interesting, too.)

I couldn't agree with this more. It would have made for both a more interesting contrast with the Jihad and the IS Clans, and a more interesting looming threat.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2017, 00:57:31 »
Also, this thread really has my itching to create a badass Society cluster to run through a WoR campaign.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2017, 01:53:15 »
Hello!  It is like fate that I saw this thread pop up!  I like the idea of the subsurface efforts of the Society and their struggle in dealing with a Warrior Caste based system.  I wish there had been a little bit more to it all when the Society came out in full force.  I am sure that there are remnants of their existence in small pockets hidden in various Clans, waiting for an opportunity to rebuild and continue their efforts.

I have just wrapped up working on a Clan Burrock force, and wanted to make a compliment to it with a Society-based mech composition! 

I am currently trying to figure it all out.  The whole idea is to create a force that I can play on its own, max of 400pts in Alpha Strike.  Or the force can be fielded alongside or mixed with elements from my already created/painted Burrock.  Does the below strike a good balance?  I read the Septicemia is the workhorse of the Society, so I figure it would be a mainstay.  The Osteon and Cephalus would be much more infrequent.  Protomechs seem to fit the Society style as well, so a trio of Sprites to add some long ranged punch alongside the capability of the Osteon.  The Cephalus would be a great spotter for anyone looking to toss indirect fire.  I need to adjust the points some more later, by upping/lowering skills.  But this feels like a good base.

Un Prime:
*Septicemia-D-Z @50pts Skirmisher/Skill3

Trey Alpha:
*Septicemia-E @50pts Skirmisher/Skill4
*Septicemia-A-Z @58pts Brawler/Skill4
*Septicemia-D @38pts Skirmisher/Skill4

Trey Beta:
*Osteon-Prime @63pts Juggernaut/Skill5
*Cephalus-Prime @29pts Scout/Skill3
*Sprite Ultraheavy Protomech x3 @60pts Missile Boat/Skill4

Total: 348pts

If I am in the wrong place to post this, please let me know and I will remove it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: 03 April 2017, 02:13:36 by Armond »

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2017, 02:30:42 »
For the LAST time, the Society is DEAD.

Who are we?  We are most certainly NOT the Society.  Nope. Nada.  We have never had any contact with the Society.  In fact what is this "Society" you are talking about?  Is it some kind of social club?

What was that?  No that was most definitely no a laboratory that you saw.  What is it then?  Uhm...It is our...uhm... distillery...yes it is a distillery.  It is where we make beer for drinking.

You want to try some?  Well it is very strong.  It has a powerful kick to it.  You still want to try some?  Ah...sure right this way.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2017, 04:02:54 »
An overt attack from the Society is not even needed. Just manufacture some data.

"Umm yes it seems like one of the Society scientist that you killed had already seeded about half the warriors with not named genes."

Sit back with popcorn.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2017, 05:54:35 »
For the LAST time, the Society is DEAD.

Who are we?  We are most certainly NOT the Society.  Nope. Nada.  We have never had any contact with the Society.  In fact what is this "Society" you are talking about?  Is it some kind of social club?

What was that?  No that was most definitely no a laboratory that you saw.  What is it then?  Uhm...It is our...uhm... distillery...yes it is a distillery.  It is where we make beer for drinking.

You want to try some?  Well it is very strong.  It has a powerful kick to it.  You still want to try some?  Ah...sure right this way.

Exactly. In some ways the Society's "death" allows it to work in even greater secrecy.

An overt attack from the Society is not even needed. Just manufacture some data.

"Umm yes it seems like one of the Society scientist that you killed had already seeded about half the warriors with not named genes."

Sit back with popcorn.

It's all about the false flags, baby!
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2017, 06:09:21 »
I always figured they shot there military bolt but there was outposts beyond Clan space and in the Inner Sphere based Clans that were never discovered or rooted out.

Yeah, there are quite a few references in WoR of Bandit or Society jumpships getting away or misjumping...

The IS clans (aside from the falcons) probably still have Society branches hidden inside them. though since the non-falcon IS clans have been giving their scientists more reign to be innovative, i doubt there is much push for a takeover.

and IMO the homeworld clan's probably still have Society remnants in their Science castes. even after the purges, there is little way that you could remove all the influence. (short of genocide of the entire caste and starting over from raw untrained recruits) they'll just be much weaker and far more covert for a long time. heck, you'd have to kill more than just all the scientists even.. you'd also have to kill all the laborors that dealt with the scientist caste to any degree (or worked with those who did). all the warriors that interacted with the scientist caste for any length of time. etc. pretty much you'd have to wipe out most of population in general to be sure you got every possible person who could spread the seed of the Society and its ideals.

IMO the Society is a bit like Marvel's Hydra.. you'll never be able to get rid of it completely, because it is all pervasive and hides in plain sight within the social structure of the clans themselves. subverting any existing status quo to their own ends. all you can do is cut off whatever head rears up into public view.

I think that the best place to look is in the Barrens, or what used to be the Overwacht province of the OA. And of course, the Deep Periphery, where all scary things come from  >:D

Quite honestly, some of the comments in WoR/WoR:Supp, lead me to believe that some remaining Society members might have joined Genecaste. Or who knows, maybe the Society was a Genecaste plot the entire time?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2017, 11:41:39 »

I can really see that.

But I meant with branches, as in research branches, such as Genetic, Armament, Space, and Conventional sciences. We know that a lot of ground installations for Genetic & Armament (Mech/Proto) were lost. However their space facilities might be completely untouched (Newgrange YardShips from the exodus perhaps?). And we haven't seen any new vehicle designs, those might not have been ready.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2017, 12:58:48 »
I am currently trying to figure it all out.  The whole idea is to create a force that I can play on its own, max of 400pts in Alpha Strike.  Or the force can be fielded alongside or mixed with elements from my already created/painted Burrock.  Does the below strike a good balance?  I read the Septicemia is the workhorse of the Society, so I figure it would be a mainstay.  The Osteon and Cephalus would be much more infrequent.  Protomechs seem to fit the Society style as well, so a trio of Sprites to add some long ranged punch alongside the capability of the Osteon.  The Cephalus would be a great spotter for anyone looking to toss indirect fire.  I need to adjust the points some more later, by upping/lowering skills.  But this feels like a good base.

Un Prime:
*Septicemia-D-Z @50pts Skirmisher/Skill3

Trey Alpha:
*Septicemia-E @50pts Skirmisher/Skill4
*Septicemia-A-Z @58pts Brawler/Skill4
*Septicemia-D @38pts Skirmisher/Skill4

Trey Beta:
*Osteon-Prime @63pts Juggernaut/Skill5
*Cephalus-Prime @29pts Scout/Skill3
*Sprite Ultraheavy Protomech x3 @60pts Missile Boat/Skill4

Total: 348pts

Looks nice! While the Septicemia is the most common Mech used by Society forces, you aren't necessarily limited to them, either. I'd check out the Stormcrow Z, Viper Z, Summoner Z, Timberwolf Z, Savage Coyote Z and Turkina Z if I were you. You can also look into stuffing a few Royal mechs in to round out your point value

Quite honestly, I think that you should use more Protomechs and vehicles, if possible, but that's just how I play Society forces. I haven't played AS, but the feeling I get is that Protomechs didn't transfer well to AS rules due to their low armor.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2017, 13:31:59 »
But I meant with branches, as in research branches, such as Genetic, Armament, Space, and Conventional sciences. We know that a lot of ground installations for Genetic & Armament (Mech/Proto) were lost. However their space facilities might be completely untouched (Newgrange YardShips from the exodus perhaps?). And we haven't seen any new vehicle designs, those might not have been ready.

I get this feeling, too. Sure, post-WoR, any non-warrior possessing Society-related knowledge was subject to Annihilation, but as we all know, knowledge wants to be free. And what made the Society truly dangerous is, in some senses ineradicable 1) e.g. "the Society is an idea" and 2) the data to create mutagenic virotherapy, the genetic coding for a corrupted trueborn line, targeted viral plagues or the SLOT virus can all fit on a flash drive. 

There was significant Raven involvement in the Society. Ravens like orbital factories, and also didn't have time to pack up everything before they left the Homeworlds. The Basilisk Q was developed (and possibly produced?) in a station above Lum and the Ferro Lamellar for the Osteon didn't just come from nowhere. To heavily infer here, I'm really surprised if the Society didn't have orbital factories hidden somewhere in or around the Kerensky Cluster, quietly pumping out a slow stream of Minotaur Zs and the like. Really the only problems are 1) labor (which you can mostly automate, anyway) and 2) avoiding detection from Watch patrols.

I really doubt that we'd see new vehicle designs aside from the slap-dash jury-rig a Nova CEWS on whatever was left in the Brian Caches past 300 years. I don't think that the Society had time given the timetable of their rebelion. The put most of their effort into the Ceph-Sept-Ost trio and the 3rd gen Protos. Vehicles mostly serve as meat shields and cannon fodder and were only used after their invasion of Babylon.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 03 April 2017, 13:45:01 »
I really doubt that we'd see new vehicle designs aside from the slap-dash jury-rig a Nova CEWS on whatever was left in the Brian Caches past 300 years. I don't think that the Society had time given the timetable of their rebelion. The put most of their effort into the Ceph-Sept-Ost trio and the 3rd gen Protos. Vehicles mostly serve as meat shields and cannon fodder and were only used after their invasion of Babylon.
That is the difference between that they wanted to do (wait longer and prepare further) and what they were forced to do (rebel). Mechs and Protos were clearly given priority for development, and during WoR they were rushed into combat. But if they were true to their long term goals, then they were likely also busy developing vehicles, fighters, etc. However such units would be on a lower priority and definitely not be ready for production when the WoR hit. 

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #18 on: 03 April 2017, 14:17:08 »
That is the difference between that they wanted to do (wait longer and prepare further) and what they were forced to do (rebel). Mechs and Protos were clearly given priority for development, and during WoR they were rushed into combat. But if they were true to their long term goals, then they were likely also busy developing vehicles, fighters, etc. However such units would be on a lower priority and definitely not be ready for production when the WoR hit.

For me, the Society MO/warfare style doesn't specifically require combined arms or units of all types and having new combat units per se, it's more about 1) does this defeat Clan warriors and 2) can we produce enough of this unit to make a difference in secrecy? Protomechs, genetically modified PBI and SLDF vintage pretty much fill that nice. Mostly, I'm pissed off that the Society didn't get that much access to BA, but it's not the end of the world.

I think the Bashkir Z, Batu Z and Sabutai Z do a pretty good job of covering the bases as far as fighters go. What more can you want than iHL/iATM spam?

There's really just one (new) vehicle design that I can justify: the iATM Carrier. 3xiATM12 and Nova CEWS w/ Ferro Lamellar.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2017, 14:40:15 »
For me, the Society MO/warfare style doesn't specifically require combined arms or units of all types and having new combat units per se, it's more about 1) does this defeat Clan warriors and 2) can we produce enough of this unit to make a difference in secrecy? Protomechs, genetically modified PBI and SLDF vintage pretty much fill that nice. Mostly, I'm pissed off that the Society didn't get that much access to BA, but it's not the end of the world.

I think the Bashkir Z, Batu Z and Sabutai Z do a pretty good job of covering the bases as far as fighters go. What more can you want than iHL/iATM spam?
FerroLamellar, XXL engines, etc. The frames are a bit outdated compared to how far the Society could go. And they would need every advantage they could get for their end plan. Therefore I think that a lot of the Z refits and SLDF vehicles were improvised solutions.

There's really just one (new) vehicle design that I can justify: the iATM Carrier. 3xiATM12 and Nova CEWS w/ Ferro Lamellar.
[drool] [drool]

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2017, 17:21:39 »

There's not even that many Clan vehicles carrying ATMs.  Just Mars, Zorya, and Stantovit variants among the Golden Century/older designs.  And if they were converted to iATMs, only the Stantovit really has the speed to exploit specialty and HE munitions.

Later Spheroid Clan vehicle designs emerge with ATMs like the Balac and Hephaestus C, but that doesn't help the Society.

Among SLDF designs, the Rhino and Chaparral are the only dedicated missile carriers with obvious iATM conversion potential, but are again too slow.

However, the Kanga, with its LRM rack and SRM pack, would be a good candidate for mobile iATM platform.  Maybe a plasma cannon could replace the AC.  A jumping hover tank seems like the kind of disruptive, high-tech solution the Society would favor.

It's too bad there are no canon vehicle designs with Society toys.  It's weird to field a trey consisting of one Septecemia, three Society protomechs, and seven SLDF tanks.

Some quad BA that could be piloted by non-Elementals would have been nifty, too.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2017, 18:23:17 »
Looks nice! While the Septicemia is the most common Mech used by Society forces, you aren't necessarily limited to them, either. I'd check out the Stormcrow Z, Viper Z, Summoner Z, Timberwolf Z, Savage Coyote Z and Turkina Z if I were you. You can also look into stuffing a few Royal mechs in to round out your point value

Quite honestly, I think that you should use more Protomechs and vehicles, if possible, but that's just how I play Society forces. I haven't played AS, but the feeling I get is that Protomechs didn't transfer well to AS rules due to their low armor.

Thanks for the look!  The thing is I could essentially create two Septs with the above, since this Force could be mixed with another two stars of a Clan force(still deciding whether to go Coyote or Burrock).  I have a Timber Wolf, Summoner, Viper, Stormcrow, and a Savage Coyote sitting here in the house.  I will have to mull over it anvit though!

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2017, 20:48:05 »
There was significant Raven involvement in the Society.

Anyone remember how much the Ravens purged their Scientist caste after they moved...?
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2017, 05:39:49 »
Anyone remember how much the Ravens purged their Scientist caste after they moved...?

From what I gathered in WoR, little to none at all. The Watch report claimed that there was no Society presence in the OA/RA. The Ravens were pretty beat after they fled the Homeworlds and I don't think that they were in a position to reave some of their scientists even if they wanted to. This leads me to believe that the Raven Alliance is the best hiding spot for the Society at present...
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 04 April 2017, 07:15:37 »
From what I gathered in WoR, little to none at all...

That is a pretty nice analysis of their situation plus possibilities. Noting the Ravens as potential for a force to build on, plus I can explore some Aerotech, which I haven't really gotten into as of yet!

The potential for Society elements to exist are as high as before I feel.  Just because they haven't come to light or are not in plain sight, just gives them a better chance at hiding in the shadows and rebuilding.

I think the Socoety idea is a good idea and can continue to be cause for chaos and internal strife within the Homeworld Clans as well as spreading like a cancer to the IS Clans in certain situations.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #25 on: 04 April 2017, 11:02:07 »
"The Society - planning a future from safe spaces, but future among the Clans does not know safe spaces."
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #26 on: 04 April 2017, 16:57:34 »
"The Society - planning a future from safe spaces, but future among the Clans does not know safe spaces."

*Triggered!*

Well, actually... we have drugged up warriors 'improved' with mutagenic virotherapy to do that for us...
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #27 on: 04 April 2017, 20:28:38 »
What you need is more Royal tanks and older BA - PA(L)s in your units. Followed by Proto and Mech forces. Lastly some Aero and older model droppers to carry the day.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #28 on: 05 April 2017, 11:13:11 »
Well, actually... we have drugged up warriors 'improved' with mutagenic virotherapy to do that for us...
"I wanted a Catgirl but she got no cuddly pelt, but sharp scales."
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 05 April 2017, 12:33:08 »
Is the society dead dead or BT faction dead? As in a remnant escaped and could rise again?