Author Topic: (Research) Attacks on hexes with hidden units  (Read 1328 times)

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
(Research) Attacks on hexes with hidden units
« on: 06 April 2017, 14:15:07 »
So I had a question which Arlith asked that I post on the Forums here.

If Arlith asked me to do so it must be a good question for the rules.

So my question is, the oncoming battlefield is left in ruins from the departure of my enemies, but I suspect booby traps like mines and HIDDEN UNITS.

Apparently I dont see them unless I enter their hex or enter the hex next to this so called hidden unit. My BAP is also unable to detect hidden infantry units.

So in my predicament I choose to march my forces through the tattered battlefield and fire my weapons at every hex that could possibly contain a HIDDEN unit in a manner with which to "clear" the hex.

If I fire a weapon(s) at a hidden unit in the hex, a hidden unit which I do not know is there, does it actually survive and take no damage? ...because it is a hidden unit that has neither moved nor fired nor had a unit move into its hex or into the hex next to the hidden unit.
Or does it take full damage from my efforts to clear the hex.

If you say that the hidden unit is INVULNERABLE then I ask you, what if I had dive bombed or cluster bombed the hex where the HIDDEN unit resided, would it take damage then?

Obviously there may be a problem with the current UNCLEAR rules. imho of course.

-Mek

« Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 14:39:04 by Xotl »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Question regarding the INVULNERABILTY of hidden units
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2017, 14:35:15 »
Direct fire attacks would not hit the hidden unit: 30 metres is a large area.  It's certainly conceivable that you do hit it, but for the purposes of the rules we'll assume not.

Area effect attacks by definition would have to hit even a hidden unit.  Whether they reveal the unit or not is something I'd have to check on.

Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
Re: (Research) Attacks on hexes with hidden units
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2017, 10:54:27 »
So it turns out the best and most egregious problem with the rules for hidden units is:

1*  Firing SRM Inferno rounds into the hex with hidden infantry units.

According to the rules, hexes that are on fire generally destroy whole infantry formations in that hex instantly.

So you have both the fact that you want to keep your infantry hidden and undetected in the hex while the hex is being attacked.. yes yes the hex is 30 meters in diameter... but at the same time the rules stipulate that infantry units in Burning hexes take lot of damage and in general die.

Credit Cryhavok101 for informing us of this fact.

-Mek
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Attacks on hexes with hidden units
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2017, 11:40:01 »
Yep, we're considering hexes on fire as well.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0