Author Topic: Which BT Novels are missing from the Legends line?  (Read 4983 times)

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
Which BT Novels are missing from the Legends line?
« on: 26 April 2017, 14:18:55 »
I've been going through the list of books and trying to figure out which ones haven't gotten a Legends version yet,  this is the list I have:

Warrior: En Garde by Michael A. Stackpole
Warrior: Riposte by Michael A. Stackpole
Warrior: Coupe by Michael A. Stackpole

Is that list correct, or did I miss some of the Legends?

« Last Edit: 26 April 2017, 14:33:49 by Xtrahmxwohld »
CDT Agent #319

Frabby

• Major
Re: Which BT Novels are missing from the Legends line?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2017, 14:31:04 »
Is The Sword and the Dagger available?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2017, 14:34:29 »
Not that I've found.  I always forget to add that one to the list as it is so rare.
CDT Agent #319

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2017, 14:46:20 »
Here's what I came up with.  If they're on the Catalyst store, they don't come up in text searches.

The Sword and the Dagger
Blood of Heroes
Bred for War
Highlander Gambit
Wolves on the Border
Heir to the Dragon
Grave Covenant
The Hunters
Warrior: En Garde
Warrior: Riposte
Warrior: Coupé
Sword and Fire
Shadows of War
Prince of Havoc
The Dying Time
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2017, 14:50:20 »
The Hunters
Sword and Fire
Shadows of War
The Dying Time

It's odd. I found those at Kobo
CDT Agent #319

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2017, 14:53:39 »
Ardath Mayhar said, in her "Writing BattleTech: The Sword and the Dagger" essay, that this book was written under a different contract from subsequent BT novels. It was the first BT novel ever solicited, and was originally going to be written by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. And from how I understand Mayhar, even though she herself would have liked a reprint the contract somehow stood in the way of that. Long story short, I don't think we'll see this particular book in a reprint or Ebook version anytime soon.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2017, 14:56:50 »
It's odd. I found those at Kobo

I'm sure they're out...just temporary casualties of the switchover to the Catalyst storefront.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2017, 15:16:03 »
I'm sure they're out...just temporary casualties of the switchover to the Catalyst storefront.

I found these at BN and Amazon

Bred for War
Highlander Gambit
Wolves on the Border
Heir to the Dragon
Grave Covenant
Prince of Havoc
CDT Agent #319

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2017, 18:51:03 »
Ardath Mayhar said, in her "Writing BattleTech: The Sword and the Dagger" essay, that this book was written under a different contract from subsequent BT novels. It was the first BT novel ever solicited, and was originally going to be written by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. And from how I understand Mayhar, even though she herself would have liked a reprint the contract somehow stood in the way of that. Long story short, I don't think we'll see this particular book in a reprint or Ebook version anytime soon.
That is one odd contract.  And a Battletech novel written by Hickman and Weis will now be my biggest Battletech "What Might Have Been."
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2017, 19:06:58 »
Ardath Mayhar said, in her "Writing BattleTech: The Sword and the Dagger" essay, that this book was written under a different contract from subsequent BT novels. ... And from how I understand Mayhar, even though she herself would have liked a reprint the contract somehow stood in the way of that.

You understand wrong. What she actually says in that essay is that, since The Sword and the Dagger was written as work for hire, she cannot get the rights back and republish it herself, as she's done with other out-of-print and unpublished works of hers. She says nothing about it being under a different contract from subsequent BT novels but speculates that those later books perhaps went in a different direction and that maybe explains why hers has never been reprinted.

Long story short, I don't think we'll see this particular book in a reprint or Ebook version anytime soon.

No big loss, that. It's sole value is as a historical curiosity. Anything of value in its contents is summarized sufficiently in the Warrior Trilogy and the original Housebooks.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2017, 19:17:57 »
I've got a copy. It's not worth the price eBay scalpers ask for it, not even close. With all due respect to Ms. Mayhar, it is not a good book. It barely fits into canon (no fault of the author there, canon barely existed when it was written) and the story itself is just a more-implausible rehash of part of The Count of Monte Cristo (which, sorry Ms. Mayhar, is your fault).

If you happen to find a copy at less than $10, go ahead and snag it for your collection. Do not pay more than that.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2017, 08:41:38 »
I've got a copy. It's not worth the price eBay scalpers ask for it, not even close. With all due respect to Ms. Mayhar, it is not a good book. It barely fits into canon (no fault of the author there, canon barely existed when it was written) and the story itself is just a more-implausible rehash of part of The Count of Monte Cristo The Man in the Iron Mask (which, sorry Ms. Mayhar, is your fault).

If you happen to find a copy at less than $10, go ahead and snag it for your collection. Do not pay more than that.

All those Alexandre Dumas books run together so....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2017, 08:48:49 »
I think the Shawshank prison library has a copy, filed in the "Educational" section under Dumbass.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2017, 16:40:56 »
All those Alexandre Dumas books run together so....

Ugh, they really do.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Register