Author Topic: (Answered) BattleMech Shield questions  (Read 1291 times)

Gus

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) BattleMech Shield questions
« on: 07 May 2017, 02:35:21 »
I have two questions regarding BattleMech shields, the rules for which are found on p. 291 of Tactical Operations.

Question 1. The rules state that whilst in active defense mode, weapons (emphasis mine) in a shield-protected location cannot be used. Would an anti-missile system in a protected location be usable?

Question 2. The rules do not preclude the use of a shield in each arm; for instance we have the Atlas III from p. 48 of TRO3145:Federated Suns which sports Light Shields on each arm. The rules also state that in active defense mode, a shield protects many regions including the centre torso. If I were to have a mech with two shields that were both in active defense mode, and therefore both protecting the centre torso, how would I resolve the situation where the centre torso of my mech was hit?
  • Would both shields reduce the incoming damage?
  • Would one shield reduce the damage; with the particular shield being determined randomly?
  • Would I resolve this another way?
I appreciate your response!
« Last Edit: 24 May 2017, 12:48:04 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) BattleMech Shield questions
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 12:47:51 »
1) Weapons here includes any Point Blank items like AMS as well as things like M-pods, or TAG.  Obviously something like ECM or probes still work, but generally, if it's firing in any way, regardless of its Type, it's not working.

2) Defender chooses which shield takes the damage.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0