Author Topic: Fallout Minis  (Read 10954 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Fallout Minis
« on: 12 May 2017, 14:43:50 »
Based on how popular the fallout 4 thread was, I'm surprised I don't see a thread for this.   There's a Fallout minis game coming out in development!

http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-is-getting-its-own-tabletop-game-and-yes-it-has-deathclaw-and-power-armor-miniatures/

http://www.gamer-feed.com/2017/05/06/chatting-about-fallout-wasteland-warfare-with-chris-birch/

And there's more out there too.

My only worry is that they might be getting too ambitious. Solo play?  co-op play?  That's nice, but get the core game working for now and put that out as an expac later.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Fallout Minis
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2017, 17:09:11 »
Hell, I'd buy this just for the minis
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2017, 21:21:41 »
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2017, 22:05:54 »
*downloads all the Fallout 4 DLC*

*builds an arena*

*puts that unfunny, worn-out meme in there against a half-dozen Deathclaws*
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2017, 22:17:36 »
Hey at least they made it relevant with the outfit redraw!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2017, 22:18:23 »
*downloads all the Fallout 4 DLC*

*builds an arena*

*puts that unfunny, worn-out meme in there against a half-dozen Deathclaws*
*watches as the meme strides out of the arena with four Deathclaw Hands*

Ah, the meme is stronger than the hate...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2017, 07:32:29 »
Wait... 'arena'. That gives me an idea... how big would you say that deathclaw mini is compared to, oh, an Atlas? Because Solaris is going to get a whole lot more interesting if I have my say...  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2017, 20:05:00 »
Wait... 'arena'. That gives me an idea... how big would you say that deathclaw mini is compared to, oh, an Atlas? Because Solaris is going to get a whole lot more interesting if I have my say...  ;D
Well, it's about the same size as a suit of power armor, so not that big. Even the tallest deathclaw, the Matriarch in the old church, is maybe double the height of the player.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2017, 21:01:24 »
at 32mm scale? depending on what version they use from the games, would range from the size of an IWM Atlas to the size of a Wizkids MWDA/AoD one.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2017, 21:09:40 »
I'm guessing it'll tower over an atlas. 

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2017, 21:43:56 »
if it doesm, not by much mind you:

that BoS power armor dude would be a touch taller than a 40K terminator.

a heavy mech runs about 0.5 to 2x larger tha na regualr space marine (which in its current form, is about 32mm tall)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2017, 16:47:31 »
Only skimmed this so far, but looks like some good info and a lot of images of renders.

https://toneytower.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/interview-with-chris-birch-fallout-wasteland-warfare-in-depth/

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2017, 17:09:46 »
I am not fan of modern Fallout games as I prefer first two from Troika Games but I admit that those minis look really good.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2017, 19:51:05 »
I may have bombed the survey with my own insane preferences...
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2017, 20:11:48 »
I am not fan of modern Fallout games as I prefer first two from Troika Games but I admit that those minis look really good.

It was actually Black Isle Studios that created Fallout and Fallout 2.  Troika was founded by former Interplay/Black Isle Studios employees, but didn't work on any Fallout titles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2017, 21:49:27 »
In closer reading, looks like the game is d12/d20 based, has two starter factions in Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel, and is based in Fallout 4 with adding Survivor and Minuteman factions later on. I guess the Deathclaw is a random thing that pops out and mauls whoever's closest? Or it sides with a weaker faction in a campaign game?

As far as the games go... I've been playing Fallout for long enough to have the original instruction booklet, with all of the Fallout Boy warnings ("If a rock is bright enough to read by at night, do not touch!") I recently replayed all of them after going through the main story of Fallout 4, and I have to say -

Fallout 3 is by far my favorite of them.

That opening sequence in Vault 101 is simply killer. You meet your father, get introduced to game mechanics in a simple tutorial, experience peaceful vault life with its ups and downs...

And then you're thrust out into the world with a 10mm pistol and a visceral quest: Find your dad. It resonates BECAUSE you met your dad in ordinary moments and lived with him (albeit briefly). It's a master stroke of storytelling. It also values both a roleplayer and speedrunner perspective (run straight to rescue him? Beat the game in under 5 hours? Or casually meander around, following the clues?). While it does have just a fairly standard FPS platform wrapped around a Fallout skin, the truth is that almost all FPS games have played almost the same since Quake and the skin's the important part. I installed the Wanderer's Edition for my latest playthrough and I have to say - wonderful.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are things I like about all Fallouts - 1 & 2 had the best representation of what a post-nuclear world would look and evolve like, Fallout NV had the absolutely incredible DLCs, Old World Blues is worth the price of admission alone, and Fallout 4 had that gripping opening sequence, an awesome if canon-breaking power armor system, and plausible reasons to side with ANY faction - but of them, 3 is my favorite because it had a real-feeling storyline that took its time to involve you in it.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2017, 11:18:24 »
(Minor correction- when you get thrust out of Vault 101, you only have a 10mm pistol if you weren't an idiot. My first playthrough, I told Amata to keep the gun, so I left the Vault with my trusty... er... baseball bat. My first outside enemy was the Eyebot in Springvale- I thought it was creepy as hell so I took a bat to it. Killed it too- and the explosion crippled my leg. With no idea how to heal that- food wasn't working for it anyway- I staggered SOUTH, not realizing that Megaton was to the north... and took refuge in Springvale School. I hadn't been out of the vault 10 minutes and had found one of the largest Raider encampments in the wastes... me and my trusty bat and broken leg. I walked out with the leg still busted up... and a suit of Painspike armor, an assault rifle, a few grenades, a wad of loot to sell when I found a store, and a healthy respect for what a bat can do... and to never smack an Eyebot with one again.)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2017, 11:26:01 »
Fallout 3 had a plot?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2017, 12:00:48 »
Fallout 3 had a plot?

Any game like that is tricky to make a plot for. Fallout 4 suffered in that regard as well- the main plot is pretty basic and chaotic. The strength to a game like this is its side quests and exploration, and in both cases the games were excellent in that regard. (My sole real regret to 3 was that DC wasn't more true to form- I had just moved to DC a few months prior to the games' release, and exploring the city by day and wandering the nuclear-savaged version by night was fun, but so much of the Fallout version was changed that it was very difficult to find the same places in both worlds to compare. Landmarks like the Capitol or Dupont Circle were there, but the actual city streets beyond those- to say nothing of the Metro map- were generic and non-detailed.)

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2017, 12:55:20 »
Any game like that is tricky to make a plot for. Fallout 4 suffered in that regard as well- the main plot is pretty basic and chaotic.

To be honest, I think that's a weakness of Bethesda's.  Their Elder Scrolls titles tend to have the exact same issues: there's a huge world to explore and a lot of stuff to do, but the plot is pretty generic and forgettable.  I'd say that Fallout 4 arguably suffered worse than 3 did in that regard since they gave a much stronger background to the Sole Survivor than previous Fallout titles had, but didn't really incorporate that into the gameplay very well- my baby was kidnapped and my husband/wife was murdered in front of my eyes.  Gotta find the kidnapper... but first let me build up a settlement for this ungrateful shrew and her henpecked husband and make out with Piper in the ruins of my old house.  What?

One thing I liked about Fallout: New Vegas.  The metaplot didn't revolve around the Courier so there wasn't an issue there if you decided to go off and explore, and most of the stuff you ended up doing did get tied to the endgame.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2017, 13:13:25 »
The other side of that though is that in both 3 and 4, as soon as that Vault opens up... do what you want. As you pointed out, in 4 your spouse is dead, son kidnapped, and... want to go find your son? Do it. Build a settlement? Do it. There's ADVICE sending you to Concord to meet with Preston, but you don't have to. On my current playthrough (testing some fun mods), I didn't go to Concord at all until I was leveled into my 60s- I'd done all of Nuka World, Far Harbor, most of the other quests, even met the Institute, and Preston was holed up in the Museum the entire time. Didn't care- I didn't want to talk to him, so I didn't.

Does it make for a weak story told to you by the game? Sure. Does it allow you to tell your own, by doing whatever you want rather than being put on-rails like a Call of Duty game? Damn right. So if you don't want to go find your son, if you instead want to become a warlord of an amusement park or be an Institute scientist or whatever, do it. While I agree that Vegas' story overall was probably the best of the three first-person-era games, I view the Bethesda games in particular as being handed the elements to create my story rather than have it told to me- assemble however you wish.

+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2017, 14:31:14 »
On my current playthrough (testing some fun mods)...

Which mods? The rig is getting rebuilt in the next month or three, I'm hankering to take it out to the Wasteland again.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2017, 14:47:06 »
Which mods? The rig is getting rebuilt in the next month or three, I'm hankering to take it out to the Wasteland again.

Bear in mind I'm on XB1, and wanted to keep things relatively intact (after my first experiment in mods wiped out my save files, I was wary as hell!)

I can look up the exact names if you want, but what I have in place are:

+Adding green grass and plants to the wastes (after 200 years, things have to have come back THAT far- it helps a lot, but makes it difficult to spot Gunner/Raider corpses sometimes for looting)

+Adding more armor skins, such as woodland camo, Enclave, and caution-tape colors (some turn out better than others- the Brotherhood Outcast paint from FO3 was always a favorite look for me, but here it's just a bland burgundy color)

+Adding in the T-49 power armor from the Youtube 'Storyteller' series (to my surprise, it added him and his Eyebot as followers as well)

+Adding a somewhat unrealistic but jaw-droppingly beautiful Milky Way to the night sky

+Adding in items from New Vegas such as skill magazines (which actually do work, if in different ways), Sunset Sasaparilla, Atomic Cocktails, etc. (I've been rocking Boone's beret most of this playthrough- they did a great job with this one)

Looks like a lot, but overall it's minor tweaks to what was already a pretty good game. The added stuff in terms of items don't fundamentally change things too much, the environmental changes are eye candy but don't have any major effect, and while the power armor mods look nice they tend to be pretty basic (+1 strength if all parts are painted, etc.), using perks that existing paint schemes already had. Some of the crazier stuff- turning Deathclaws into Thomas the Tank Engine, adding in Wanamingos and such from past games, the Golden Gun from Goldenye, etc., I felt were just not the direction I wanted to go personally (less said about some of the stuff like nudity mods, the better)

The XB1 options dwarf the PS4 list, and in turn what you would have on PC is probably a huge improvement over what I have around. One thing I'll give Microsoft on the Xbox is that they tend to test things before they go available, so they tend to work pretty well by the time they get uploaded.

+Crow T. Robot+

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2017, 14:48:44 »
recently reinstalled Fallout 1 from GoG (had grabbed it back when it was offered free).. the cutscenes don't age well (they end up pixalated on modern big screens), and i think i need to play with the screen size settings to find a balance between "can see lots of the map" and "controls are big enough to use easily", but really the only thing i'm wishing it had was an auto-save function..

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2017, 14:52:54 »
recently reinstalled Fallout 1 from GoG (had grabbed it back when it was offered free).. the cutscenes don't age well (they end up pixalated on modern big screens), and i think i need to play with the screen size settings to find a balance between "can see lots of the map" and "controls are big enough to use easily", but really the only thing i'm wishing it had was an auto-save function..

I have it on the White Edition (1, 2, Tactics), but haven't tried installing it since my computer upgraded itself (without permission) to Win10 last summer. Might have to look into it sometime. That and MechCommander Gold, been missing both lately.

+Crow T. Robot+

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2017, 16:28:42 »
So I'm on PC, and yes, the mods are really wild and fun on there. The mods I liked were:

Beantown Interiors - it makes a lot of the 'dead' buildings into active ones, and scatters around some loot (but nothing too strong!) to make it worth your while.

Everybody's Best Friend - lets you have Dogmeat and another companion, as was originally in the programming (but they removed). Re-enables it, so less of a 'mod' and more of a 'fix'.

Legendary Modification - creates an extra mod slot just for legendary items, and lets you move them around like a normal weapon. More of a convenience thing, really, but it is nice.

Craftable Vault 81 Cure - it's really, REALLY annoying that in order to be 'good' you have to sacrifice 10 HP when going through Vault 81. This fixes that.

Better Mod Descriptions - instead of 'Exceptional Damage' or 'reduces electrical damage' it gives you EXACT percentages that each mod changes the damage by.

Also, because I'm on a low-end rig, I actually downloaded mods to reduce the performance drag. Very helpful, that.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2017, 16:53:04 »
Might have to see if that Dogmeat one is available on Xbox, that would be nice for sure. (I spent part of Monday night turning Codsworth into a nightmare of Nuka-World Protectron weapons and armor, but it would be nice to have a pup around as well)

+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2017, 20:58:40 »
...after my first experiment in mods wiped out my save files, I was wary as hell!

I remember that, a grass mod if my memory serves. Given your experiences I was interested to see if you had gotten stable mods this time around. Plus I'm always interested to see how others are tweaking their games.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Register