Author Topic: First Mini Post  (Read 2439 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
First Mini Post
« on: 19 May 2017, 00:40:54 »
Hi all!  This is my first posting here.  I have been admiring everyone's work here for a while, and I would like to say it's all quite amazing.  I've gotten back into Battletech for the last year or so after 20+ years; on the mini side of things anyway.  Haven't found anyone in San Diego who still plays in my neck of the woods.  At any rate, here's my first photos.  We have a Rokurokubi, a Marauder II, a Marauder IIC 2, and a Nova Cat.  Hope I'm doing this right  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: First Mini Post
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 00:53:51 »
I'd say you're doing very well!

One suggestion - take the mini at high resolution, then crop the image, then resize to suit. Your work is good enough that we can see bigger images of them :)

W O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 01:08:21 »
I see what you mean.  I thought I was doing that, but I just resized without cropping.  Work in progress  ;)  Thank you very much for the advice!  I'll try it on the next batch here in a few.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 01:23:32 »
Ok, these should be a bit better.  This time we have my Battlemaster I painted following the guide in Total Warfare, a reseen Goliath, a Shiro, and a Warhammer painted in my attempt to match the box art from the late 80's/early 90's edition (whichever on that was).  Happy for any advice, though I am working with an old 10 megapixel camera.  So my own advice is get a better camera...

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 11:41:09 »
Looking good!

There is a con next weekend in LA -> http://www.strategicon.net/index.php

We're playing Alpha Strike on Friday and Classic BT on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Hope you can make it up!

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2017, 12:59:33 »
Good stuff!  Solid paint jobs, clean colors, and nice bases!  I don't think anyone would mind those on the table!
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 16:09:14 »
 O0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2017, 17:22:12 »
Photos much better!

Nice clean schemes. Talk us through how you painted the Shiro, for example, thanks!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 17:46:05 »
You sure know how to make an entrance! Nicely done sir!  :o
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2017, 19:14:36 »
Well done on all of them  O0

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2017, 22:53:09 »
Thank you everyone!  And to answer Worktroll, I was inspired by the photo of the Shiro IWM uses on their online store.  How it was done:
1) I prime all my minis with Krylon Covermaxx primers.  Sticks great to metal or plastic (or just about anything else).  Oh, just for info, I work at a locally owned True Value, so if I go off on a hardware tangent, that's why.  In this case, I used gray.
2) Two thin coats of Vallejo Game Color (VGC) Goblin Green.  That step went far better than I anticipated.  Color and coverage were so nice, I didn't want to touch it at all with black wash.
3) VGC Chainmail Silver for all the silver trim on the armor.  I didn't thin it at all, just went with a light touch.
4) VGC Gunmetal for the launchers.  I also dry brushed it on the ammo feed for the AC.
5) VGC Bone White for the standards.  Took three coats to get it where I wanted.
6) The Autocannon was done trying to follow Vallejo's guide for painting non-metallic metal.  I still don't have for the knack for that.  I seem to do better with dry bushing.  Anyways, it was based with VGC Heavy Brown, washed with Vallejo Sepia ink, highlighted then with VGC Heavy Goldbrown, and finally touched up with VGC White with a little of the Goldbrown mixed in.
7) Sword is VGC Black and Metallic Gold.
8) Banding (or clips, whatever they are) on the standard are DecoArt Americana Metallics Rich Espresso.
9) Hex base was painted with VGC Dark Green.  Grass is from Warlord Games.  Brush is from Woodland Scenics.

I think that covers it.  It was a solid week to finish it, and that was with dedicating some major time on my days off.  Well worth it though  :)  I liked him so much, it inspired a whole lance.  Thanks again everyone, and I would love to make the LA con, but sadly, I will be working that weekend  :'(  Give me a months notice for another one and I could make it happen.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2017, 23:05:02 »
Nice job!! O0
(Especially like the Rokurokubi.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2017, 23:26:28 »
Here's a redo on the first photos I posted.  Should be a little easier to see this time  :)

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2017, 07:34:19 »
Very nice for your first post!

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2017, 14:18:27 »
I would love to make the LA con, but sadly, I will be working that weekend  :'(  Give me a months notice for another one and I could make it happen.

Labor Day weekend, Presidents Day weekend, and Memorial Day weekend :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2017, 21:02:54 »
Hi all!  This is my first posting here.  I have been admiring everyone's work here for a while, and I would like to say it's all quite amazing.  I've gotten back into Battletech for the last year or so after 20+ years; on the mini side of things anyway.  Haven't found anyone in San Diego who still plays in my neck of the woods.  At any rate, here's my first photos.  We have a Rokurokubi, a Marauder II, a Marauder IIC 2, and a Nova Cat.  Hope I'm doing this right  :)

At Ease Games on Miramar Rd had a regular game going, though I was never able to go due to work and other committments.  It's entirely possible it's still going: I think it was on either Thursday starting at 6 PM, or Saturday morning - I can't remember whether it conflicted with me being on-call for work once every 4 weeks, or with the radio show I used to do Saturday mornings, but that would probably be good place to check.

Love the minis, BTW: that's some fantastic work.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2017, 21:05:50 »
Oh! If you're going to Comic Con, there's usually at least one or two tables going on there, too.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2017, 22:30:29 »
Awesome info, thank you!  Saturdays are out for me (work), but if their doing Thursday evenings, I could pull that off.  I will definitely look into that.  And again, thank you everyone for the kind words. 

I know I've been showing my best work so far, so I will be starting a thread up shortly of my early work from a year ago on the plastic minis and a couple of my epic fails since.  Everyone's got a few of those  ;)  I love seeing how people improve as time goes on, and I'm happy to share mine and I hope others are as well.  Keep the game alive!  8)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2017, 23:25:10 »
Four more photos for today.  We have a Daishi which was one of my first jobs back on metal again, a Zeus with my first swing at the FWM scheme (there's a Grand Titan Vengeance that goes with it), a Rifleman IIC 3 in the same scheme as the Nova Cat, and my most favorite Mech since the very first Mechwarrior video game (yes, I just dated myself good there), a new classic Shadow Hawk.  I shamelessly admit to stealing the paint scheme from the cover of TRO 3145: Mercs  }:) Have a great evening everyone!

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2017, 02:29:42 »
i really like the DCMS lance in green. i bet that at least 95% of all these Kurita totem mechs are painted red, so this a nice change.
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2017, 07:26:42 »
i really like the DCMS lance in green. i bet that at least 95% of all these Kurita totem mechs are painted red, so this a nice change.

Thank whomever painted the one on the IWM online store.  That what's inspired me; and I wanted something else other than red for them to boot.

Register