Author Topic: Confused about Operation Higashikuni/Operation ANGEL REQUIEM  (Read 1042 times)

Frabby

• Major
Hi all,

please help me with my confusion.
I was under the impression that Chandrasekhar Kurita's mercenary coalition attack against the Ruins of Gabriel was called Operation Higashikuni, and was a player event at GenCon 2007 (unexpectedly ending with a Blakist victory).

However, Turning Points: Arcturus makes no mention of Higashikuni. Instead, the operation being prepared on Arcturus when the Word strikes is consistently referred to as Operation ANGEL REQUIEM.

Am I missing something? Was the operation renamed after they left Arcturus for Odessa or something?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frabby

• Major
Re: Confused about Operation Higashikuni/Operation ANGEL REQUIEM
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2017, 08:20:03 »
Breaking this thread out of its Star League cache...

I've done some more research into matters. My current understanding of the situation is this:

Operation Higashikuni was Uncle Chandy's entire operation regarding finding the Ruins of Gabriel, massing his mercenary troops on Arcturus where they suffered from an unexpected assault from the 40th Shadow Division, and later assaulting the Ruins of Gabriel once they had been pinpointed in the Odessa system.

Operation Angel Requiem was the counter-operation by WoB/Berith, initially to reclaim Victoria Parrdeau's journal that had been nicked as part of Operation Higashikuni, and Angel Requiem culminated in the attack on Uncle Chandy's forces on Arcturus. During that battle the 40th Shadow Division failed in capturing or killing either Uncle Chandy or the Bounty Hunter, and could neither reclaim the journal; but they did find out that Gabriel's existence and location had been found out.

The Arcturus ground battle was played out as the GenCon event 2007 ("Operation Higashikuni").
The Gabriel space battle was played out as the GenCon event 2008, and resulted in an unexpected victory of the WoB defenders (which was nevertheless canonized).

Peter Abdulsattah's reference to "Operation Angel Requiem" in the Operation: Higashikuni player PDF that was handed out for the 2007 event was thus an oversight/ooc error on behalf of the writers, and was meant to refer to the operation as Operation Higashikuni. Similarly, TP: Arcturus may have mixed them up.
Higashikuni = Kurita operation
Angel Requiem = WoB operation

Um. Correct? Can anyone confirm the above, or provide other information?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins