Author Topic: PPC capacitor - multiples?  (Read 2745 times)

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
PPC capacitor - multiples?
« on: 12 June 2017, 10:58:12 »
Just a small question - can you fit two capacitors to a PPC (which ever variety) so that each turn you can charge one and use the other one for the PPC - so that every turn you are firing with the +5 damage?

Round one - charge capacitor A, fire capacitor B.
Round two - fire capacitor A, charge capacitor B.
Repeat....

I realise it'd be very heat intensive but... is it possible or is it one capacitor per PPC?

Maelwys

• Major
Re: PPC capacitor - multiples?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2017, 11:53:22 »
Barring any errata...

The rules don't technically state that you can only mount one Capacitor per PPC just "Capacitors can only modify one PPC and do not stack." Which would seem to indicate that you can't install 3 Capacitors and expect your Light PPC to do 20 damage, but it doesn't necessarily say that you can't add more than one Capacitor to a PPC in order to do what you want.

The issue comes in under the gameplay rules, where it states "Instead of firing a PPC as normal, the pilot may choose to charge the PPC Capacitor." This seems to indicate that its the PPC itself charging the Capacitor, and not the Fusion engine, so your idea won't work because you're trying to charge the second Capacitor the same time you're firing the PPC. You have to give up firing the PPC to charge the Capacitor, and at no point in your example are you doing that.

So. Barring Errata (there's so much I don't have time to go through it real quick) there's nothing that specifically states only one Capacitor per PPC (only that they don't stack), but your idea won't work because you can't charge and fire at the same time.

Atleast that's how I interpret it.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2017, 13:24:19 »
I suppose by that interpretation, you could not fire the PPC for two turns to charge two capacitors, then fire them over the course of two turns, which in some situations might be genuinely useful.  However, I suspect that it's 1) probably against the rules, if one were to give it a closer look (perhaps note the use of singular language, though it's more suggestive than definitive) and 2) it's honestly not really worth it anyway.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2017, 13:48:00 »
Definitely intriguing. The fast-jumping PPC boats like the Legionnaire and Stealth would probably benefit greatly from something like this if you tinkered enough. I don't see anything that really says for sure either way- I'd say it's not likely to be rules-legal, but worth asking the rules gurus about (ask the writers)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2017, 14:14:51 »
I'd ask in the actual rules forums, particularly TacOps.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2017, 15:43:29 »
Just a small question - can you fit two capacitors to a PPC (which ever variety) so that each turn you can charge one and use the other one for the PPC - so that every turn you are firing with the +5 damage?

Can't be done alas. The TO p336 construction state "Capacitors can only modify one PPC and do not stack."

On top of that, the game rules on p337 state "Instead of firing a PPC as normal, the pilot may choose to charge the PPC Capacitor"

That being the case - using your example - you wouldn't be able to charge Capacitor A, while firing Capacitor B either.

Chris

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2017, 16:06:31 »
Can't be done alas. The TO p336 construction state "Capacitors can only modify one PPC and do not stack."

I would point out (barring errata that I haven't checked..still), that the rules only really say that capacitors can't modify more than one PPC and that they don't stack. "Don't stack," is rather nebulous and I read it as "you can't put 4 capacitors on something, and get +20 to damage," but it doesn't specifically state "You can't put more than one Capacitor on something,"

if they did intend to only allow for a single capacitor, no clue why they wouldn't have simply written, "Capacitors can only modify one PPC, and a PPC can only mount one Capacitor."

There are limited uses for multiple Capacitors, namely storing up energy over several turns, and then firing for several turns, and if you take a critical hit on the same turn as firing, you would only burn out the Capacitor, and not the entire PPC, so there is some redundancy.

Mind you, I'm guessing the answer is going to be "One Capacitor per PPC," but I did find it interesting that the rules don't actually say that.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2017, 16:17:28 »
I would point out (barring errata that I haven't checked..still), that the rules only really say that capacitors can't modify more than one PPC and that they don't stack. "Don't stack," is rather nebulous and I read it as "you can't put 4 capacitors on something, and get +20 to damage," but it doesn't specifically state "You can't put more than one Capacitor on something,"

I think that many interpreted "don't stack" exactly as "you can't put more than one Capacitor on something." For once, I did.

if they did intend to only allow for a single capacitor, no clue why they wouldn't have simply written, "Capacitors can only modify one PPC, and a PPC can only mount one Capacitor."
Mind you, I'm guessing the answer is going to be "One Capacitor per PPC," but I did find it interesting that the rules don't actually say that.

Objectively, this case won't win the prize "Worst Wording." There were (and are) far worse cases.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2017, 21:37:30 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2017, 00:21:23 »
This reminds me of the Bart Simpson Megaphone Challenge and would love to see this lead to a new Boondoggle
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2017, 13:17:38 »
So the wording of the rules imply you can have more than one capacitor. But also say you can't stack their effects.

Redundancy? In case Cap 1 takes a crit, you can use Cap 2?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2017, 18:02:33 »
I think interpreting the rules to allow more than one capacitor is a major stretch, running contrary to both the intention and usual interpretation of that rule.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2017, 20:54:49 »
Seeing as how you can have Capacitors on some PPCs and not others, I suspect it works like Artemis IV - it only affects the gun that it's attached to directly.  If you lose a PPC on one side and a Capacitor on the other, you can't cross-link it. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 20 June 2017, 07:11:25 »
I think interpreting the rules to allow more than one capacitor is a major stretch, running contrary to both the intention and usual interpretation of that rule.

FWIW at my table you'd be called a few nasty names if you tried to slap multiple capacitors on one PPC.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Register